NVidia GeForce 8600M GT 256MB Problem

Dstar

33 posts in this topic

Hello :blink:

So I've scoured the web and tried tons of things in order to get my card recognized, but it simply will not work. I have (as the topic says) a Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB graphics card. When I go to system profiler, it says: (I have Leo4Allv3)

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

So I'm wondering if the problem is because it says there isn't a kext loaded. Or is it because I never installed a PCI driver when I installed Leo4AllV3?

Hello :blink:

So I've scoured the web and tried tons of things in order to get my card recognized, but it simply will not work. I have (as the topic says) a Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB graphics card. When I go to system profiler, it says: (I have Leo4Allv3)

Type: Display

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 32 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x0407

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Kernel Extension Info: No Kext Loaded

Displays:

Display:

Resolution: 1024 x 768

Depth: 32-bit Color

Core Image: Software

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Quartz Extreme: Not Supported

So I'm wondering if the problem is because it says there isn't a kext loaded. Or is it because I never installed a PCI driver when I installed Leo4AllV3?

Hi there I recommend you read my iATKOS v2.0i install guide in my blog, as it will explain to how to install the needed nVidia graphics driver kext...... :)

Alright, I'll check that out, thanks.So are you saying I should download Mysticus's full gfx update?

Yes, download from here which unzipped will give you a folder called "build". In that folder, run "10.5.2 Full Gfx Update v1.1.mpkg"......and follow my guide as to the video driver selection.... :blink:

I followed the guide and installed but it still says its a 32MB card ;)

Hi there,

Just please remind me what is your MOBO and CPU system....?

Sure,

CPU- Intel (T575)

MOBO- Not exactly sure what you want, it's a Dell Inspiron 1720

Even though the RAM is not shown correctly in System Profiler, are you getting full CI/QE at the desired resolution?

Anyway, your Nvidia 8600M GT 256MB graphics card is claimed to work with NVInstaller v33.....download from http://www.mediafire.com/?mi2obzt2ont

If not, you can try NVkush......http://diabolik1605.com/DHF/

or NVinject 0.53.....http://scottdangel.com/blog/?p=27

Hope this helps...... :thanks_speechbubble:

That one didn't work either. I don't understand why!

As you try each one, what error messages are you getting on the "white on black" boot up screen......

I do seem to get some of those errors, they say error loading AppleHDA.kext, IOHDFamilyController.kext, etc...

Specifically, what errors if any are you getting similar to those in this extract from my blog, and did you follow the procedure outlined below before running each graphics driver installer you have tried.....

Kernel loadable modules in backtrace (with dependencies):

com.apple.GeForce(5.2.4)@0x7fab3000->0x7fb39fff

dependency: com.apple.NVDAResman(5.2.4)@0x7f873000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.5)@0x7f865000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x77a36000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.5.1)@0x7f849000

com.apple.NVDAResman(5.2.4)@0x7f873000->0x7fab2fff

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IONDRVSupport(1.5)@0x7f865000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOPCIFamily(2.4.1)@0x77a36000

dependency: com.apple.iokit.IOGraphicsFamily(1.5.1)@0x7f849000

BSD process name corresponding to current thread: kernel_task

Mac OS version:

9C7010

Kernel version:

Darwin Kernel Version 9.2.0: Tue Feb 5 16:13:22 PST 2008; root:xnu-1228.3.13~1/RELEASE_I386

This kernel panic points to a GeForce Driver(s) error.... at least for my GeForce 8600GT 256MB graphics card.....
B)
even though I had picked no nVidia drivers! Thus the base OS X system drivers could not drive my GeForce 8600GT....
B)

If you have a similar kernel panic do not expect to see the same hexadecimal numbers as in the example above.....

For a solution, see for example :

com.apple.GeForce; com.apple.NVDAResman Kernel Panic Issue

Issue: System stops on Kernel Panic during boot.

Solution:This is caused by the GeForce Kexts that are installed by default. The issue is resolved by removing the GeForce kexts at boot, and it can be done as follows:

boot with -s

mount -uw /

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/GeForce.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/Ge*.kext

rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/NV*kext

exit

ENDQUOTE

• 2 months later...

Update: If you use Urthwhyte's kext linked in wingrunr21's guide you can skip to step 3 after installing that kext. You will also get Video Out and Mirroring with that kext (XPS M1530 only) (18th Feb, 2009)

Edit (19th April 2009): Nvinject with mirroring working for M1530 attached.

Edit (10th June 2009): M1530 working without nvinject and with DSDT.aml: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...t&p=1160495

See my system details before you proceed

8600M GT working perfectly with QE/CI rotation and QuartzGL and shows 256 MB with an avg of ~ 1600 fps in OpenGL tests

Guide:

0. Remove NVinjectGo.kext from /Sysytem/Library/Extensions folder if you have any. I have iatkos v4.0i upgraded to 10.5.6 via Macupdate with Chameleon v2 rc1 bootloader.

1. Get NvInstaller v0.52 from here:

http://scottdangel.com/blog/?page_id=20

2. Run the package and install the kext for vanilla.

NOTE: you will loose Clean Reboot and Shutdown

3. Restart machine.

4. Run Quartz Debug and select "Enable Quartz Extreme" and "Enable Quartz GL" in the tools menu

NOTE: 1. Quartz Debug is a part of XCode. If you haven't installed it, do so. You will find it in the apple site. It is free.

2. DO NOT QUIT QUARTZ DEBUG. Go to the apple menu and force quit it. Otherwise your QE QGL options will be disabled

5. Put the DISPLAY (not machine) to sleep. QGL performs only after the display sleeps for once after the machine starts. Unfortunately you have to sleep display once after starting the machine every time. (UPDATE: You can use the script attached below to have your machine do this at startup everytime. Just list it in the Sys Pref-> Accounts -> Startup Items pane.)

Update (8th March 2009) I no longer require the sleep display trick to get ful QGL. I am still scoring at ~1600-130 in OpenGL Viewer. OpenGL test 1.1 scores a bit lower that before at ~1400 as compared to 1600 before.

Alternatively:

You don't need OSX86Tools or XCode etc to turn it on, just type this in terminal and QGL will be enabled on next boot: "sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver QuartzGLEnabled -boolean YES" (exchange YES with NO if you want to turn it off)

This will enable QGL for all applications system-wide.

I don't recommend turning it on system-wide because it may slow down your system, or cause instabilities/issues with some applications, thats why Apple doesn't enable it system-wide by default.

If an application supports QGL, it will use for itself, so there won't be any problems with other applications.

6. Check System profiler for details.

7. Let me know if I missed anything. (Don't curse me)

picture1iq4.th.png

picture2rz9.th.png

picture3fv4.th.png

SleepDisplay.zip

NVinject_M1530_mirroring.kext.zip

• 2 weeks later...

8600m GT with iATKOS 10.5.4

More simple solution :

Install :

1) NVInstallerV.41.pkg (maybe v51 or 52 works)

2) NVkushInstaller.pkg

That's all !!

ggjs8.png

UPDATE ON 10.5.5

• NVInstaller utilizing NVInject -> This method detects your graphics card at boot and "injects" the appropriate hardware information into OS X's hardware tree. Uses nvinject.kext kernel extension.
  • NVKush -> Like NVInject but uses nvkush.kext instead of nvinject.kext.

Download and install Pacifist and the Apple Leopard Graphics Update. Mount the Leopard Graphics Update dmg. Open up Pacifist and then click "Open Package". Browse to your Leopard Graphics Update package. Open it in Pacifist. When it opens, right click on the "Contents of LeopardGraphicsUpdate1.0.pkg" package and choose "Install to Default Location". Use administrator privelages. When it is done running, use OSx86 Tools to repair permissions and clear the extension cache. Reboot. Check System Profiler to see if QE/CI are working. They should be.

55qeyl3.png

But compare to TALISMAN, I have very bad performances :

aaaxc3.png

Hello everybody.

I'm trying to set my GeForce 8600M GS working correctly on a iDeneb 10.5.5 Leopard system. Actually my card has only basic 1024x768 resolution and no CI & QE.

I have already followed a lot of guides I found in this forum without any good result.

Finally I have followed the "upade on 10.5.5" suggestions from zik_man but I get a kernel panic as per the attached screen

post-161747-1225546209_thumb.jpg

that is IMO the same as descibed by verdant.

If I boot in safety mode (-x) the system start correctly obviously with only basic resolution.

Do you have any other idea?

Thanks

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Talisman, I have M1530 working currently via Kalyway. I am planning on doing a vanilla re-install with 10.5.4 retail and upgrade to 1.5.6 following Winguru's guide. On my current setup I got the 8600 working with CI/QE using MacGirl's NVinject.kext_8600M_GT_VGA_out_M1530.zip.

Is the method you oultine above different/better?

• 2 weeks later...
Talisman, I have M1530 working currently via Kalyway. I am planning on doing a vanilla re-install with 10.5.4 retail and upgrade to 1.5.6 following Winguru's guide. On my current setup I got the 8600 working with CI/QE using MacGirl's NVinject.kext_8600M_GT_VGA_out_M1530.zip.

Is the method you oultine above different/better?

There have been some developments. Use Urthwhyte's kext which is linked in wingrunr21's guide. To enable QE/CI use the last part of my guide. We still have to do the Sleep Display trick to get full performance.

Hi Talisman, Im here again.

I have installed iPC 10.5.6.

All goes well but every kext I install for my video card

give me a blackscreen at reboot.

Can u give me a solution to work?

Thx.

• 1 month later...

Hey there,

I have QE/CI enabled on my 8600m GT using NVkush. Sadly, I have some kind of a poor performence including lagging doc, exposée and spaces, which is pretty much annoying. Using Nvinject or doing the Display Sleep-Trick didn'T help. I'm currently downloading xcode to see if it can increase performence. What would you suggest? QuartzGL is disabled, enabling it did not help.

Thanks in advance

• 1 month later...

Hi to the 0sX86 community ;)

Sorry for my noob question, but i checked and tried many solutions explained in both driver and installation and none was successful.

I have a Inspiron 1720 Laptop. Graphic card is a Nividia 8600M (GS i guess but i ll check in vista).

I managed to install almost perfectly with the iAtkos 10.5.5 Leopard, choosing appropriate options during installation, except for the sound (fixed with the sound fix procedure found on forum) and Graphic card.

Concerning the graphic card, i choose the following option in the customize menu : Nvidia Go. And that s all, i did not check any of the EFI kext.

This way the graphic card is working (in 2D) perfectly without doing anything, and in maximum resolution for my laptop (1920x1200).

But I have no 3D acceleration, so that i m not able to run any game.

I dont know what to do from here (I cleaned my .kext using the shell, and then tried nvinjector v33 that should match for my graphic card, but i have no access to the appropriate amount of memory : the installer offers 128 and then 320, whereas i need 256. I choosed 128 so ... and after reboot i have an unreadeable multicolor desktop lol)

Could anyone help me and explain what i should do considering from a proper install : did i choose the right option.

If yes, what should i do next to get 3D acceleration enabled ? (is there some openGL to be installed, i dindt manage to find info)

many thanks in advance for your answers because i m stuck

• 3 weeks later...

yeepeefr I have the same issue with my dell xps 1530. I have the gfx card installed fine, I have used many different kexts, but 3d acceleration is having issues. I am trying to run everquest Mac edition (I know I know) and it tells me my gfx card has 0MB memory and cannot load the game. Its kinda weird. I get this error with all the the gfx kexts I have tried (a few..nvinject, macgirl's, nvkush, etc..)

Any ideas? I will post more detailed info a little later once i experiment some more.

• 6 months later...

Hello I'm using a laptop with a 512MB 8600M GT graphics card.. I just can't find any drivers!!?

Please post a link to a working driver or something!!

PLEASE HELP!! :D