What kernel are you running? In Terminal, type: uname -a

im running 8.8.1 semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/Release_I386 i386 i386

Rammjet

Rammjet

InsanelyMac V.I.P.

• Gurus
  • 5,302 posts

im running 8.8.1 semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/Release_I386 i386 i386

I was looking for the date on the kernel. If it is early Nov, then you might want to upgrade. Kernel beta8, the current stable version, is dated Nov 27.

wasim

wasim

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

I was looking for the date on the kernel. If it is early Nov, then you might want to upgrade. Kernel beta8, the current stable version, is dated Nov 27.

Darwin wasim-altafs-computer.local 8.8.1 Darwin Kernel Version 8.8.1: Sat Dec 9 22:18:27 AZOT 2006; semthex:/nebukadnezar/BUILD/obj/RELEASE_I386 i386 i386

wow

wow

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 531 posts
To speed some things up i read this topic and decided to try your commands.

in terminal:

first
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0
i give my password

then:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean true
again i give my password

i check the results in plist editor pro and quartz enbled is "yes" and the "0" is stil a "1"
Although qe2d is enabled, xbench went from 56 to 63 thats 12% increase, but its not as much as i expected.

1 hour a headache and lots of tries further. Al i can say is there happens strange things and i give up.
Terminal says disabled but plist editor pro says its enabled??
Saving with plist editor is imposible its only good for reading (great!)

After i reboot i run xbench and get a 55 score, then i start plist edit with recent file windowserver.plist and its says its enabled?? i dont do anything but when i run i run xbenxh again i get 63, like plist editor unasked edit and saves the plist. To many un explainable things here, i give up.

Edited by wow, 07 January 2007 - 03:55 AM.

RobNyc

RobNyc

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts
  • Interests:Living Life, Going Out Places, Dancing, Music, Girls, Computers/Technology/Electronics, Philosop...
WOrks for me

crazyJAT

crazyJAT

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 300 posts
So, how can I test if Quartz Extreme 2d is enabled or not??

C0mputerNick

C0mputerNick

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts

So, how can I test if Quartz Extreme 2d is enabled or not??

yes, i had the same question, how can you tell if QE2D is enabled and Beam Sync is disabled without having to run QuartzSimple or something else that might enable the beam sync again. I have ran both the command line commands, do they have to be run every boot? or are the permanent? if they need to be ran at every boot how would one go about doing that if it requires sudo and a password?

thanks for the help.

Zulu.Walker

Zulu.Walker

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Film/TV Post-Production<br />Independent Films<br />Music<br />Literatur...
Wow it is faster, posting a before and after xbenches. I'd say 5% faster on Quartz and a huge 33% boost in 2d UI acceleration. Not bad! :) It's a keeper!

Attached File  Picture_14.png   251.68KB   462 downloads

Headrush69

Headrush69

InsanelyMac Legend

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,441 posts
Make sure you are using Xbench 1.3 or newer. Versions prior to this didn't turn off beamsync while testing so the results are artificially adjusted down if your machine/graphic card is fast enough. (This doesn't mean it will make your system faster.)
As of version 1.3, beamsync is turned off during testing. (Having it on during normal use is unlikely to make much difference as most monitors are a minimum 60 Hz anyways.)

Enabling Quartz2D is another story and will likely produce better fps. As Apple improves its implementation it is likely they will enable this feature as default at some time.

nimb0z

nimb0z

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
Darn! What a performance boost!

Xbench Score W BeamSync: 26.63
Xbench Score W/out BeamSync: 96.25

..and no wonder the graphics (sharpness) improved too.

Thanks so much.

Zulu.Walker

Zulu.Walker

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 338 posts
  • Interests:Film/TV Post-Production<br />Independent Films<br />Music<br />Literatur...
To autoload Quartz2DExtreme (Q2DE) on startup:
[must have QE/CI working initially]

In Terminal:
sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Quartz2DExtremeEnabled -boolean yes
Test by rebooting and checking System Profiler. If it does not autoload, change:
-boolean yes
to

-boolean true

And for BeamSync:

I thought there was a way to permanently disable beam sync...

There is a way, but be warned, but disabling beam sync brings a whole lot of bugs. Even on LCD'S Specially Office. Corrupted Text etc

sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0

Just a rehash of whatever's already under this topic. Good luck!

icyderguru

icyderguru

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 88 posts
if i disable beamsync with "sudo defaults write /Library/Preferences/com.apple.windowserver Compositor -dict deferredUpdates 0" it is smooth but a little bit stuttering

if i disable beamsync with quartzsimple it is behaving as it should - whats wrong? - i would prefer not opening quartzsimple every boot

another problem seems to be that some programs switch the beamsync settings - then it is a little bit stuttering - then i have to open quartzsimple again and disable beamsync and it is working again - strange isnt it?

if someone has a solution for my problem please go ahead

macgirl

macgirl

Stargate's Pharaoh

• Retired
  • 7,615 posts
  • Interests:Techie gadgets
Can you add quartzsimple as login items, or create a script that loads it?

Rufus T. Firefly

Rufus T. Firefly

InsanelyMac Legend

• Donators
  • 807 posts
Thanks!

Attached Files

jul_k

jul_k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
sounds very interesting!
is the main link still supposed to be active?
if so could it get fixed again?

thank you

S.SubZero

S.SubZero

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Thread necromancy!

Is this tweak even still valid? It's pre-Leopard.

jul_k

jul_k

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts
I don't have the option to enable qe2d!
does this mean I'm out of luck with the geforce 7300go?

edit:
ok, taking an other thread as reference, is qe2d named quarzgl in leopard!

homman

homman

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts
How i can test if my vga is compatible?
nvidia 8400m gs 128 ddr2 - hp dv6560el.
How i can enable this effects?
THank you

aliasa_anderson

aliasa_anderson

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 171 posts

How i can test if my vga is compatible?
nvidia 8400m gs 128 ddr2 - hp dv6560el.
How i can enable this effects?
THank you

Do you have QE/CI enabled ?
If yes,you will be able to get quartz2d enabled.Beam sync can be disabled
without any specific requirements,its only needed fro CRTs.

yes, i had the same question, how can you tell if QE2D is enabled and Beam Sync is disabled without having to run QuartzSimple or something else that might enable the beam sync again. I have ran both the command line commands, do they have to be run every boot? or are the permanent? if they need to be ran at every boot how would one go about doing that if it requires sudo and a password?

thanks for the help.

Just go to system prfofiler,under graphics section,you will see something like Quartz2D enabled.
the command default write is actually used to make changes to plist file i.e adding or removing a key and its value without editing it in textedit.You can just check the entreis of this plist to see if the value has been set correctly.It should be persistent across the reboots.

scutzi130

scutzi130

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Does anyone know where the quartzsimple program can be downloaded from? The link is dead and the commands for terminal are not working properly for me. Thanks.

Edit:NVM don't need it anymore. Fixed performance by enabling quartz gl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy