ATI Radeon 3650HD on 3 or 4 LCDs

kavalir

10 posts in this topic

Hello,

ATI 3650 512mb is working under 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 with 2 LCDs great with lastExile drivers.

But what for TWO identical cards and 3 or 4 LCDs? Is there any chance to make it work without setting up EFI GFX strings?

I have same ATI 3650's. Both of them are correctly listed in system profiler, bud working is only one card.

If I set up PCI or PEG option in BIOS, first card is working. If I set up PEG2, second card is working. So I know both cards works.

So what to do now, to make both ATIs to work seamlessly?

I'm unable to set up EFI strings, I tried almost every possible option from all guides, but with no luck. With EFI GFX strings is working always only one card and only with mirroring displays.

Here is my System profiler with lastExile driver >

post-142145-1215864433_thumb.png

Here is my in.plist for EFI GFX strings for ATI 3650HD 512mb > (not properly working - note that first slot "0x1" and second slot "0x1c" are correct)

post-142145-1215864441_thumb.png

Are you sure? What is the reason? .. There is no one with working 2 ATI cards?

BTW if there is no way to make two ATI's to work, what Nvidia to buy? I need 3 LCDs on two cards. So I have to buy another two cards?;)(

55 EUR Gigabyte GeForce 8600GT (540MHz) 256MB DDR3 (1400MHz) Passive

73 EUR Gigabyte GeForce 8600GTS (675MHz) 256MB DDR3 (2000MHz) Passive

91 EUR Gigabyte GeForce 9600GSO (550MHz) 384MB DDR3 (1800MHz)

101EUR Asus GeForce 8800GS (550MHz) 384MB DDR3 (1600MHz)

109EUR MSI GeForce 8800GTS (575MHz) 320 MB DDR3 (1700MHz)

115EUR Gigabyte GeForce 9600GT (650MHz) 512MB DDR3 (1800MHz) Passive

132EUR Gigabyte GeForce 8800GT (700MHz) 512MB DDR3 (1840MHz)

Any advices? ...

• 3 weeks later...
ATI 3650 512mb is working under 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 with 2 LCDs great with lastExile drivers.

We have a similar setup, but i'm having problems with the dual screen.

I have a LCD Samsung Syncmaster 710v monitor connected via VGA and a DLP BenQ PE8700 Projector connected via DVI.

Problems:

1 - the Projector via DVI only works at 1024x768

2 - the windows to change the resolution are switched, i mean, i have the windows to change the screen resolution of one display shown by the other display.

Are you having the same problem? What kind of video input are you using?

Are you having the same problem? What kind of video input are you using?
No. The OP is talking about using two graphics cards for 3 or 4 monitors not using a single graphics card connetced to a monitor & projector.

kavalir, It looks like you & I have the same problem with trying to use two ATI graphics cards except I have two ATI Radeon HD 2600XTs. Like you I can see both in System Profiler but only the one set as primary in the BIOS works (both DVI outputs work). I can use Natit & the single card works great but there appears no way to enable dual cards. Despite following many different sets of instructions I cannot get even a single card working with EFI strings. From the lack of response to my posting I am guessing that nobody has dual ATI cards working at all. I am not even sure that anyone has a single ATI card working with EFI strings at least not on the motherboard that we have GA-P35-DS3P. http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=118117

I have been able to set up two Nvidia graphics cards easily using  NVinject.0.2.0d_universal_dual_cards http://nvinject.free.fr/files/NVinject.0.2..._dual_cards.zip. The secret appears to be to set PEG2 as primary display in the BIOS. I have also set up dual Nvidia graphics cards (any two of 7300GT, 7600GT, 7900GS) on my own system with the same motherboard using EFI strings as per aquamac's guide http://aquamac.proboards106.com/index.cgi?...&thread=569

I am just about to give up on ATI cards but I am undecided as to which pair of Nvidia cards I should buy. My testing of 7300GT, 7600GT,  7900GS & the 2600XT with xbench shows that they all have more or less the same performance in OS X. My wife has a system with two Nvidia Quadro NVS 285 cards which work well but the performance in xbench is around half that of the 7xxx series cards. I have an 8600GT & 2600 Pro that I will also test but my guess is that most modern graphics cards perform more or less the same. As it seems that only Nvidia cards will work in dual card configurations & that all perform more or less the same then deciding which card is down to price & DVI vs. VGA. I don't think that you can buy a dual DVI 7300 but the cheapest passively cooled cards that I have found are a 7600GS or 8500GT for about 40 Euros. A fanless 8600GT is about 60 Euros.

No. The OP is talking about using two graphics cards for 3 or 4 monitors not using a single graphics card connetced to a monitor & projector.

If you use 3 or 4 monitors with 2 graphics cards you must have at least one graphic card for 2 monitors. I doesn't matter if the monitors are lcd screens or projector. I.e. he wrote:

ATI 3650 512mb is working under 10.5.2 and 10.5.3 with 2 LCDs great with lastExile drivers

He seems not to be having issues in a dual screen setup and i'm having issues with 2 monitors and one 3650 so i'd like to know what kind of input is he using.

My problems could be related to a lack of support of the dvi output in the drivers or to an incompatibility between the dvi output of the graphic card and the dvi input of the projector.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hello,

But what for TWO identical cards and 3 or 4 LCDs? Is there any chance to make it work without setting up EFI GFX strings?

I have same ATI 3650's. Both of them are correctly listed in system profiler, bud working is only one card.

If I set up PCI or PEG option in BIOS, first card is working. If I set up PEG2, second card is working. So I know both cards works.

So what to do now, to make both ATIs to work seamlessly?

I'm unable to set up EFI strings, I tried almost every possible option from all guides, but with no luck. With EFI GFX strings is working always only one card and only with mirroring displays.

Here is my System profiler with lastExile driver >

post-142145-1215864433_thumb.png

Here is my in.plist for EFI GFX strings for ATI 3650HD 512mb > (not properly working - note that first slot "0x1" and second slot "0x1c" are correct)

post-142145-1215864441_thumb.png

Hi Kavalir,

how did you get HD 3650 to work in the first place. I keep trying for weeks now, but do not get anything!

regards MacMoron

• 2 months later...

Ignoring everyone who posted here off topic, I also am interested in dual ATI cards. I have 2 HD2600 xt cards and 2 ATI HD4850 cards. I am willing to do whatever I can to help make dual ATI cards a reality. I don't see what is blocking us form achieving this as the Mac Pro ships with multiple ATI 2600 xt cards as an option.

Let's see if we can spark some interest in this, maybe get Netkas onboard.