GUID OSX + XP + Chameleon EFI->how?

40 posts in this topic

Hi, maybe somebody succeded:

I have an OSX86 install on a separate GUID disk:

disk1 winXP, disk2 OSX86 with chameleon

I was trying to using the win bootloader and choose OS from there.

I was trying to use the different files boot0, boot.gpt, chain0 and the command in the boot.ini

No way! I still need to choose from BIOS the Startup disk.

So yesterday had a chat with Zef and the results:

chain0= -> only for MBR

boot0 -> gives me an boot1:error (because it's looking for the hfs+ partition on the same disk)

boot.gpt -> boot0 error

Before I had no problems with pc_efi and the boot0.gpt file.

Somebody succeeded without any third party bootloader (like GRUB, Def,...)?

Help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

Hey Memorial,

Your tutorial was written great, I followed it exactly, using boot 132 and chameleon, everything went as planned, but still no sign of Vista on the Chameleon boot menu, and I used Vista x64 SP1 too.

Laptop with a single drive I'm trying to do a GUID install on with retail Leo.

Any ideas why? I figured with XP it would be touch and go but shouldn't Chameleon have seen my Vista? I installed in the same order and partition order you suggested too (Vista first).

Any ideas?

I dont think XP will get installed on GUID partition. Mine is MBR. XP would definately overwrite your boot loader for that first you have to install XP/Vista and then Max OS X (I prefer Leopard). Use the Darwin Bootloader for dual booting it is good. After installing Mac OS X you would need to repair XP as the bootloader corrupts the XP boot region. I dont know whether XP has the option to repair its boot, Vista has, so go for Vista.

• 2 weeks later...

This is my Solution a little technical but it seems to work

Boot Kalyway 10.5.2 and goto disk util and partition with 2 partitions

Name 1st partition Leopard and format as HFS+ journaled

Name 2nd Partition XP format as FAT32

then open fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 - or what ever your drive is

print

this should show your aprtition table your partition table mine were

1 EE 1023 254 63 1023 254 63 1 409639 <unknown ID>

2 AF 1023 254 63 1023 254 63 409640 135281640 HFS+

3 0b 1023 254 63 1023 254 63 135953424 20348024 Win95 FAT32

4 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Unused

this will be different depending on partition sizes but write it all down everything

Install OS x to the Leopard partition and install as normal

after you are happy everything works restart with your XP disk (note windows will not detect the drive names so remember the size you created for XP and format as FAT32 and install the windows files ( I only installed the files for the first stage of instalations until windows 1st reboots your computer)

remove the windows disk and put in Kalyway 10.5.2 and boot into single user mode (-s)

type /sbin/mount -uw / - I am not sure if this is needed

the type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 or what ever your disk number is

print

you will now see all those changes that have been made by windows you need to change them all back

Type edit 1 you will be prompted for the partition type but this should be still EE if not make it EE you will then be asked if you want to edit in CHS mode select y

type in all the numbers you had before as 1023 then 254 then 63 then 1023 then 254 then 63

type in edit 1 again and select EE again but this time say no to chs mode and type in the other two figures you wrote down 1 then 409639

do this for every partition you have except for 3 which will now be 0c this is ok so select 0c then finally type print your partition map would of slightly changed in that the first 3 figures may be 0 0 2 the rest should be 1023 254 63

I really dont know if this is important or not but I have not tried without doing this method

you then need to update the write and finally quit this should exit fdisk and type exit

this will load the rest of the Kalyway install disk and all you have to do from there is manually install pc_efi_v8 as we did before it came with the install disk ( maybe if I installed XP first then OSx I could skip this stage dont know )

I figured this out. The problem is the /boot file on the Boot-132 disk. What you should to is move the /Extra/Extensions into your /S/L/E folder and install normal chameleon, then XP with show up.

Hey Memorial,

Your tutorial was written great, I followed it exactly, using boot 132 and chameleon, everything went as planned, but still no sign of Vista on the Chameleon boot menu, and I used Vista x64 SP1 too.

Laptop with a single drive I'm trying to do a GUID install on with retail Leo.

Any ideas why? I figured with XP it would be touch and go but shouldn't Chameleon have seen my Vista? I installed in the same order and partition order you suggested too (Vista first).

Any ideas?

MacNutty, I think we can run XP from GUID and we don't actually care what we put in the MBR. Just have Chameleon boot from the fist partition on the disk (the GUID partition, 200MB or so) then it will be able to boot XP no problem. For XP the GUID partition is just a partition, it shouldn't matter whats on it, and it can do what it wants to the MBR because Chameleon is not booting from it (but it does use the secttor to store boot0, so that might get corrucpted, but it's worth a try).

So if I understand you right, I can dual boot to XP from a single disk ONLY if I use MBR partition scheme. Yes?

I don't think you can install XP on a disk with GUID partition table. Vista certainly can't do it (tested!). You're better off using MBR.

There's plenty of discussion here on insanely on how to dual boot with XP from a single drive. The answers are out there. Look harder. There's absolutely not enough discussion on how to dual boot with vista from a single drive.

I don't think you can install XP on a disk with GUID partition table. Vista certainly can't do it (tested!). You're better off using MBR.

There's plenty of discussion here on insanely on how to dual boot with XP from a single drive. The answers are out there. Look harder. There's absolutely not enough discussion on how to dual boot with vista from a single drive.

I have installed XP on My S200 laptop with a GUID Partition if you follow my instructions above it will work No boot 132 or chameleon needed just plain old EFI bootoader and an OSx install disk

Not shure why, but i can boot to NTFS partition (Windows Vista) from osx boot loader without making any changes after installation of Kalyway 10.5.2

It can be maybe because of i have installed "Vistaloader" to my windows vista, using vistaloader because i just dont want re-activate it every single time i swich alot of hardware.

• 2 months later...
This is my Solution a little technical but it seems to work

Boot Kalyway 10.5.2 and goto disk util and partition with 2 partitions

Name 1st partition Leopard and format as HFS+ journaled

Name 2nd Partition XP format as FAT32

then open fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 - or what ever your drive is

print

this should show your aprtition table your partition table mine were

1 EE 1023 254 63 1023 254 63 1 409639 <unknown ID>

2 AF 1023 254 63 1023 254 63 409640 135281640 HFS+

3 0b 1023 254 63 1023 254 63 135953424 20348024 Win95 FAT32

4 00 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 Unused

this will be different depending on partition sizes but write it all down everything

Install OS x to the Leopard partition and install as normal

after you are happy everything works restart with your XP disk (note windows will not detect the drive names so remember the size you created for XP and format as FAT32 and install the windows files ( I only installed the files for the first stage of instalations until windows 1st reboots your computer)

remove the windows disk and put in Kalyway 10.5.2 and boot into single user mode (-s)

type /sbin/mount -uw / - I am not sure if this is needed

the type fdisk -e /dev/rdisk0 or what ever your disk number is

print

you will now see all those changes that have been made by windows you need to change them all back

Type edit 1 you will be prompted for the partition type but this should be still EE if not make it EE you will then be asked if you want to edit in CHS mode select y

type in all the numbers you had before as 1023 then 254 then 63 then 1023 then 254 then 63

type in edit 1 again and select EE again but this time say no to chs mode and type in the other two figures you wrote down 1 then 409639

do this for every partition you have except for 3 which will now be 0c this is ok so select 0c then finally type print your partition map would of slightly changed in that the first 3 figures may be 0 0 2 the rest should be 1023 254 63

I got up to this part, and my NTFS partition was "07" instead of "0c"

I followed the instructions, but I couldn't boot XP x64 ;)

Ok I see when you installed xp 64 you formatted the drive NTFS I only formated as FAT32 so that could be why it may not be working Did you change 07 to 0C or leave it as 07 maybe XP64 does not have an option for FAT32 if you tried changing 07 to 0C change it back to 07 see if that works

I have now slightly changed my bootloader I am now using Chameleon with EFI V9 so I can have a snow partition and boot snow as well. The bootloader is installed to the EFI partition so I needed to mark disk0s1 as the boot partition in fdisk

• 2 weeks later...
1. Using the Leopard DVD, run Disk Utility and format to however many partition you want. Its best to put XP first in the partition table for that the OS X boot loader has a better chance to find it. Format GUID and make the XP partition FAT32 for now. Make Leopard HFS+.

2.Install Leopard. If you are not using retail, I do not recommend installing a boot loader yet.

3. Put in the XP install disk and install on the FAT32 partition (format it NTFS of course, we put FAT32 only so that XP saw it). Note, you will see a few more partitions than you made, the first will be the GUID parition and then there will be buffer partitions between XP and OS X of about 200 MB a piece.

4. Your computer should now boot straight into XP, it should be using the legacy MBR in the GUID partition table.

5. Boot from your Leopard DVD and run terminal. Use fdisk to set the OS X partition as bootable (marked). Now reboot and boot into OS X using the DVD (i.e. don't press anything and let the DVD automatically boot the HD (not all disks do this, so get one that does)). If you are using boo-132 just boot from HD using the CD.

6. Install Chameleon on OS X. For those using boot 132, if you want to boot from HD without the CD simply copy the /Extra/Extensions folder to your HD and replace /boot on your HD with the one from the CD.

7. Now reboot. If chameleon sees your XP install, you are lucky and you are done. If all you see if OS X, then we will have to make the XP or Vista boot loader our defaults.

8. If you do not see XP or Vista in the chameleon (darwin bootloader) then boot into OS X, google "chain0 and OS X" and follow the instructions of the wiki. To boot into XP you will have to use fdisk to make XP bootable (you can either boot off the DVD again, or at the darwin boot prompt boot in single user mode (-s) and use fdisk from there (do not mount your disk!)).

9. Once you have completed your chain0 extravaganza, you should have dual boot on a GUID partition table.

Good luck, I can give details if you need them.

I would just like to say THANK YOU! I tried this with Windows Server 2008 and iPC's distribution of OSX (PPF2) and it works like a charm. I am now dual booting Windows Server 2008 Std and Leopard 10.5.6. I did not need to do the last 2 steps, chameleon picked up the Windows partition and boots it properly when I want to use it.

Now to do some searches to get my Leopard working properly :wacko:

• 1 month later...

That may not be true.

Here is a video link which demos dual boot OSX and XP (32 bit) on a single GPT/MBR hybrid disk.

Dual boot OSX and XP (32 bit) with GPT/MBR hybrid partition map on a single hard drive

• 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...
HEy,

Great Tut!

I have the Problem, that I install Windows Xp and after reboot it says thats hal.dll ist missing...

I tried 2 different Versions of Windows XP Pro, but both same prob :D

How2fix?

MfG

Hi kingfinn,

have you found a solution for your problem. I have the same error with windows xp.

I have booted with superhai's boot_cd v0.4 (v0.5 ends with a black screen) for my Dell M1330 and started diskutility to create 3 partitions, option GUID Partition Table.

1st: WINDOWS (MS-DOS FAT), 50GB

2nd: Mac OS (Mac OS Extended (Journaled), 50GB

3rd: DATA (MS-DOS FAT), 150 GB

After partitioning and formating I booted with my windows xp 32bit install cd and started installation. I formated the "windows partition" with NTFS from the install process. The installation started and copied all needed files to disk. After that the system tried to boot and I got the following error.

"windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

<Windows Root>\system32\hal.dll

please re-install a copy of the above file."

I checked a lot of post on the internet. Most solutions told to check the boot.ini and/or copy the hal.dll from the installation cd on the hd.

I checked my boot.ini and it seems to be okay.

[boot loader]

timeout=1

default=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS

[operating system]

multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP Professional" /noexecute=optin /fastdetect

After that, I changed the partition in my boot.ini from (2) to (1). Surprisingly the boot screen from Windows XP appeared for a few seconds, but after this the system crashed with a blue screen, error:

unmountable_boot_volume

Does anyone has another idea?

Thanks a lot and best regards,

Michael