Installed on Intel Atom reference board

UnaClocker

23 posts in this topic

I finally managed to get OS X up and running on my Intel Atom machine. It's a 1.6GHz CPU (4watts they say), 2gigs of ram. It's the Intel reference board, Mini-ITX. I have it in a G4 Powermac case. :) Anyways.. It's supposed to have Intel GMA950 video, but it doesn't seem to be getting recognized. DeviceID problem?

Onboard NIC is no good, but I kind of expected that. I have an RTL8139 installed in the lone PCI slot. It's working (making this post from the Atom machine).

I used a PATA DVD drive to do the install onto a SATA hard drive.. So I guess both controllers and supported. That's a plus.

I haven't sat down to figure out the audio. I have no sound at the moment. I imagine it's an HDA thing like most other Intel boards are now.

I used Iatkos 1.0ir3, Kalyway didn't want to boot after installing, Leo4All V2 didn't want to even boot all the way(might have been a bad disc) into the installer. I installed about 15 times, finally settled on the x86 bootloader. EFI didn't seem to want to work. Used the SSE2/SSE3 kernel. Any suggestions on how to update such a patched up setup to 10.5.4? I'm sitting at 10.5.1 right now, one more release of OS X and Apple will probably start to lock out this older release..

Anyone else running on this board got some tips/suggestions?

Well, I don't have it, but for the GMA 950 I think you will need Paulicat's gmaNatit. It's on this forum, you should try using the poor serach function. :) BTW, you will have to post more complete system specs if you want to be helped. B)

Search feature for GMA and 950? Have you ever used the search function for 3 letter words? Makes me want to use four letter words to describe how well that works. Thanks for at least giving some useful info, I'll look around for that program.

More complete system specs? What the hell more do you need? I'm running a PowerMan 250watt power supply. Sorry I forgot to mention that. It's a MiniITX board, there's not much to it. Plug a monitor and a keyboard/mouse into it and it's a complete system. I already said I was using a PATA DVD drive and SATA hard drive, who cares what brand they are. My computer is not a {censored} extension, I was born well equipped. So I have no need to brag about the hardware in my machine.

Sometimes the simplest solution is the best.. I used the link in the first post of this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...rt=#entry557017

GMA950... Works like a champ, even have front row working. QE/CI Hardware accell, the full deal.

Ya know, I wasn't expecting much from this computer, and it's really surprised me. It's much faster than I expected. It's just going to be a webserver, so I didn't much care how fast it was to use. But it works fairly well.

Any idea what sound is on this board? I don't think there's more than one Intel Atom reference board, but if you want the model number it is: D945GCLF

Went to install the sound yesterday. I determined it's an ALC662, but read a thread where someone said the 662 worked out of the box with the iatkos distro.. So I double checked, and yup.. I have a speaker icon.. I just need to plug some speakers into the machine. Very nice. ;)

Maybe I'll get that lucky with the onboard NIC. I'd really like to be able to bridge two seperate LAN's with this unit, so getting the onboard NIC working would make my day.

On a side note.. I installed Parallels and it runs XP quite well. Was even able to view some YouTube in a window. It didn't like going full screen, but it played fine in a window. :) Which means I'll be able to use it for the occasional Windows program that I need just fine. :)

• 2 weeks later...

http://wiki.osx86project.org/wiki/index.php/HCL_10.5.2#Intel

Intel D945GCLF Intel® 945GC and ICH7

• Install Method: Kalyway 10.5.2 (kernel 9.2.0 + usb patch because System.kext is by default 9.2.2 and should be 9.2.0)
  • Integrated Intel® Atom 1.6ghz (HT) processor working (system think it's a Core Solo 1.6ghz)
  • Realtek ALC662 audio working (Mic Not working yet)
  • Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 950 (QE/CI fully supported. It works like a charm!)
  • LAN (i don't know... disabled in bios because in my dual boot, Linux gave kernel panic with this netcard) - LAN do work but after sleep lost IP connection, so suggest to fix with Fix IP.
  • Six USB 2.0 ports working
  • Two SATA ports and One PATA IDE working
  • Sleep works

Efi working, Vanilla working No patch needed! Everything works out of box

I will be installing what I have below, I wll let you all know how it turns out!

I will be installing what I have below, I wll let you all know how it turns out!

Motherboard: Intel D945GCLF

Memory: 2g pqi 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 667

Hard Drive: SAMSUNG SpinPoint T Series HD321KJ 320GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb

DVD: Lite-On 20x LH-20A1L

Software: iATKOS v4i (10.5.4 Intel only) released

Let me know what options you select, I had it working but would not restart.

NIC driver works like a charm.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...GetDown=false#7

Thanks

Let me know what options you select, I had it working but would not restart.

NIC driver works like a charm.

http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...GetDown=false#7

Thanks

I installed iATKOS v4i and it just keeps rebooting in a loop. Im going to try Kalway 10.5.2 and see.

I'm using the same mobo and got almost every working except for reboot ( just hangs ).

Here is what you need to do.

1. Install the kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

2. Mark the hard drive active

3. Once you finished installing 10.5.2

4. Run the kalyway 10.5.3 combo update

+ run the update first ( Do not reboot after it is done )

+ then run the kernel update

5. Reboot and run the Apple's system update to 10.5.4

6. After 10.5.4, run GMA950 video driver update ( http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html )

you can use KextHelper if you do not how to do it ( http://www.cheetha.net/Kext_Helper/Software.html )

7. Reboot and you should have almost every this up and running except for reboot.

So what, boot off the DVD every time? How ghey is that...

I was just saying that worked, but just did a clean install and boots fine without a CD, only issues are the single resolution with the video card and the hang on the restart. Used the iATKOS v4i for the install and selected the GMA 950 video driver and stock kernel files.

I was just saying that worked, but just did a clean install and boots fine without a CD, only issues are the single resolution with the video card and the hang on the restart. Used the iATKOS v4i for the install and selected the GMA 950 video driver and stock kernel files.

I went ahead and installed Kalyway 10.5.2 and did the updates, now Im at 10.5.4 and everything works except it hangs on reboots :( Anyone found a fix?

I did the Kalyway 10.5.2 install and update to 10.5.4 and the video update

mine is working fine except hangs on reboot. am still messin with it and also looking for a fix. seems I am reading several people have a problem with reboot

oh I am using Vanilla kernal

• 3 weeks later...

I also have this board. Have been using 5 days now. First I installed in one new motherboard, which isn't mine yet. It was my office r&d dept testing rig. When no one around i manage to instal Kalyway 10.5.2 in it very successful. I even get to Welcome video showing with sound !

QE/CI enabled, things works just fine. Then in next day i bought this mobo one only $69 and plug my IDE HDD160 and IDE DVD to instal. But I was surprise that I don;t have Welcome Video and ethernet doesn't work ! What the?

I reinstal with another SATA HDD and it doesn't work either. And again with ATA, still no good.

I tinker BIOS , i assume it was the video aperture , but there;s no gain at all. it just won't work.

THen im doin the hard way.. add video kext , extract Realtek1000 kext from kalyway dvd, and things went fine. QE/CI enabled. This mobo is faster than I expected. I even download and played movie trailers (mov) from apple and it just went smooth. THe HD trailers off course. the 480p very smooth but the 720p need vlc player to play it smooth. Im using sleepkernel and yes sleep works just fine

Im using it to write this down. For those of you who want to try Atom. This board may suit for you