leo4allv3 - still waiting for root device problem

peips

23 posts in this topic

hi..

I've installed leo4allv3 but when the system boots it freezes with "still waiting for root device"

I have an Acer Aspire 5610Z:

graphics - NVIDIA® GeForce™ Go 7300

chipset - Mobile Intel® 945GM Express

there's anyone who can help me???

cheers

-peips-

p.s. sorry 4 my english....

Yeah just go into your PC's BIOS, by usually pressing DEL key while the computer is running the memory tests.

Then check for SATA Mode, and you will probably find 3 options: IDE Mode, RAID, AHCI.

AHCI is the most commonly used in Leopard if IDE Mode fails just like the way you described (Waiting for Root Device).

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Hi all.

I'm diggin this thread up, because I'm having the same problem while trying to install Leopard (iDeneb 1.6 lite) on an Acer Aspire 1640 (Pentium M 1.7GHz, 1gb ram, ide hard drive, intel gma950 graphics).

Installation completes just fine, all recommended patches (from wiki) for this laptop have been selected/installed, chameleon works fine, but when Leopard bootsup it's stuck on the screen below.

IMG_0116.JPG

I suppose it hard drive related issue, but Acer bios (Phoenix) doesn't give me any options about customizing the device (it's a very poor bios software, as far as changing options and configuration is concerned).

Anyone could give me some advice about what could be a workaround in this case? :)

If your drive controller doesn't do AHCI (or if your BIOS doesn't have the setting) and your motherboard has an Intel ICH southbridge, you need to pick AppleIntelPIIATA.kext under 'customize' before installing.

Thanks for the reply. :)

Current state: I'm past the boot drive problems, after having experimented with various ata drivers provided by iDeneb installation. I also encoutered a PS2Controller problem (ApplePS2Controller duplicate) which was resolved by deleting the corresponding kext (I suppose it conflicted somehow with VoodooPS2 driver).

Now the problem is that I'm stuck just before the login window appears, and the screen has the light blue color we see 1-2 secs before getting a login prompt. Disk activity stops there, and the laptop doesn't seem to do anything, no matter how long I wait.

Here's a photo of what I'm talking about:

IMG_0120.JPG

I've corrected partition permissions, but that didn't have any effect on the problem.

Ok, latest update:

I have now a working installation of Leopard on Aspire 1640, with all the basics working (they seem to be working fine, given the fact that my laptop is quite old and has only 1GB of RAM).

My biggest concern right now is getting the wireless card working. It's current state is dead, and it's essential for me to find a driver (kext) appropriate for this device, as I was planning to use this laptop on a spot with no physical network connection. Anybody with any good ideas? :D

A second issue is a general feeling/suspicion I have about degraded performance. What I mean is that it takes quite some time for the OS to load after booting up, and when I click an application icon from the dock, the bouncing seem to have a slight lag and I get some disk activity simoultaneously. Also, youtube videos on 480p are somehow laggy too, even though the video progress bar is fully loaded (thus, it's not a network performance issue, it generally laptop performance). All these could have as a root cause the small amount of available ram (1gb, which is no that sufficient), which causes the hard drive to swap all the time. But again, if there's any known compatibility (or other) issue related to my symptoms, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any answers I get. :)

Guest jacobgeek

still waiting for root device

"root device" is what the system is booting from.

This could be a disk, partition, file system, or format error.

• 3 weeks later...

"Still waiting for root device" 99.9% of the time because support for your I/O Chipset isn't there.

for SATA controllers, it can be solved usually by what Beerkex'd suggested, putting it in AHCI mode, if your BIOS allows you to do so.

For SATA controllers that the BIOS _DOESN'T_ let go into AHCI mode, a kext with the proper support for it in IDE mode needs to be installed, same goes for IDE controllers, the kext that adds support for it would also need to be there.

still waiting for root device

"root device" is what the system is booting from.

This could be a disk, partition, file system, or format error.

As for that response, it being a disk, partition, filesystem or format error is NOT the case.

What I have said above is usually 99.9% of the time, the problem.

"Still waiting for root device" 99.9% of the time because support for your I/O Chipset isn't there.

for SATA controllers, it can be solved usually by what Beerkex'd suggested, putting it in AHCI mode, if your BIOS allows you to do so.

For SATA controllers that the BIOS _DOESN'T_ let go into AHCI mode, a kext with the proper support for it in IDE mode needs to be installed, same goes for IDE controllers, the kext that adds support for it would also need to be there.

As for that response, it being a disk, partition, filesystem or format error is NOT the case.

What I have said above is usually 99.9% of the time, the problem.

Not to say what you are saying is wrong but he should check his disk especially if older i had one with the same problem that went out soon after. (It rebooted while loading tried several OS none worked). i still need to put a different hard drive in to put OS x on...

If the disk itself is working with other operating systems and passes diagnostic tests etc etc, then the disk can not be the problem.

Also, Yoda never said that.

Yes i agree but he never did say it passed any dignostic etc or he even tested. but you're probably right.

and aculaly he says it to luke i can't remember which movie. :wacko:

It's Empire Strikes Back but that is not what he said. Never mind. :rolleyes:

Just to know what did he say? Oh and i wanted to say thanks what you said worked with the waiting for root device but now i have a different problem :wacko:, but that's just one less Obstacle. I will change my signature.

"I find your lack of punctuation disturbing". Lord Vader

Never mind, I'm not as much a Star Wars geek as I thought.

http://www.yodajeff.com/multimedia/sounds/...ode5/trynot.wav

Thanks! Can you help with my problem, I think I know the solution, ;) I need a Intel® 82852/82855 GM/GME Graphics Controller [Display adapter] kext I can't find it. if you or any one else know where to find it thanks. I'll be opening a thread if no quick answer.