Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6

sheeplover

332 posts in this topic

update:

I've done a little more looking into these things and I'm still not working.

It appears to me that the Gigabyte (secondary) SATA controller has a hardware RAID for which I cannot find the controls. I have 2x160GB SATA drives that just show up as 320. I plug one in and it recognizes it.

More info on the BIOS options:

I've got 2 500GB drives in a RAID0 on the ICH10R controller for vista. In the bios it's marked as AHCI/RAID, and Native mode (don't really know what it is, and it doesn't seem to make a difference whether i have it on or not.) The Gigabyte controller is set to IDE instead of RAID. My Netkas v4i installer will recognize a 160GB sata drive on the gigabyte controller, format it and install to it (I used MBR for simplicity...and because i haven't figured out GUID yet...another story...) and it says the install was successful but when i reboot i get com.apple.boot.plist missing...on the gigabyte controller...?

Hardware:

EP45-DS4 board

Q9300

4x2GB OCZ Reaper DDR2-1066

2x160GB Seagate Sata2/16MB (Linux and OSX, on Gigabyte Sata controller)

2x500GB Seagate Sata2/32MB (raid0 for Vista, on ICH10R)

eVGA 8800GTS 512MB (G92)

Corsair 750TX PSU

LG HDROM/BDROM/DVDRW SATA (recognized as a DVD burner by Netkas dvd, on ICH10)

NEC DVDRW IDE (Gigabyte IDE controller, won't boot install dvds)

It makes me really mad, because I shelled out an extra $100 for this board over the EP35-DS4 because they JUST discontinued the latter.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I'm totally lost as to where to begin troubleshooting.

And has anyone noticed how long it takes for this board to POST? It takes 25-45 seconds, depending on BIOS options (may be delayed by my GPU BIOS if it has one...?)

Any help I could get on this would be great. Thanks!

update:

It appears to me that the Gigabyte (secondary) SATA controller has a hardware RAID for which I cannot find the controls. I have 2x160GB SATA drives that just show up as 320. I plug one in and it recognizes it.

I've got 2 500GB drives in a RAID0 on the ICH10R controller for vista. In the bios it's marked as AHCI/RAID, and Native mode (don't really know what it is, and it doesn't seem to make a difference whether i have it on or not.) The Gigabyte controller is set to IDE instead of RAID. My Netkas v4i installer will recognize a 160GB sata drive on the gigabyte controller, format it and install to it (I used MBR for simplicity...and because i haven't figured out GUID yet...another story...) and it says the install was successful but when i reboot i get com.apple.boot.plist missing...on the gigabyte controller...?

Hardware:

EP45-DS4 board

Q9300

eVGA 8800GTS 512MB (G92)

Corsair 750TX PSU

It makes me really mad, because I shelled out an extra $100 for this board over the EP35-DS4 because they JUST discontinued the latter.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I'm totally lost as to where to begin troubleshooting.

And has anyone noticed how long it takes for this board to POST? It takes 25-45 seconds, depending on BIOS options (may be delayed by my GPU BIOS if it has one...?)

This is very interesting. So you ARE able to get the purple sata ports working? Are the secondary sata ports on your board the exact same as the ones on the DQ6? What do you mean you used netkas v4i? Do you mean iATKOS v4i? I would like to find the kext that allow me to use the secondary SATA, as it is the only thing not working on the DQ6 for me.

Thanks,

genzai

PS: if you can change your config a bit, i think i can help you get OS X running fine.

hi everyone.

i also have just blown up my p35-ds4. i was running 10.5.4 perfect. Im so pissed off right now.

im guessing i can buy the dq6 and according to the first post ill be able to be up and running again without a flinch.

but i would prefer to get the p45 ds4 as i don't need all those ethernet posts and feature.

can anyone here confirm the p45 ds4 works????

This is very interesting. So you ARE able to get the purple sata ports working? Are the secondary sata ports on your board the exact same as the ones on the DQ6? What do you mean you used netkas v4i? Do you mean iATKOS v4i? I would like to find the kext that allow me to use the secondary SATA, as it is the only thing not working on the DQ6 for me.

Thanks,

genzai

PS: if you can change your config a bit, i think i can help you get OS X running fine.

I have the DQ6. I'm not sure of colors, since I'm not in front of it at the moment. The primary is ICH10R and the secondary is the Gigabyte controller...that seems to have hardware RAID and made to be used for eSATA.

iatkos yes, sorry. I've also tried Leo4all v3 and it won't boot at all. I'm open to suggestions. when you say the secondary sata is the only thing that isn't working for you, you mean the ICH10R controller is working for you? How did you do that?

I have the DQ6. I'm not sure of colors, since I'm not in front of it at the moment. The primary is ICH10R and the secondary is the Gigabyte controller...that seems to have hardware RAID and made to be used for eSATA.

iatkos yes, sorry. I've also tried Leo4all v3 and it won't boot at all. I'm open to suggestions. when you say the secondary sata is the only thing that isn't working for you, you mean the ICH10R controller is working for you? How did you do that?

Yes, ich10r works perfectly. I would like to identify the kext on iatkos v4i that will run the secondary (gigabyte/sil5723) sata controller. If you would like full instructions on how i did the install, PM me. But the basic method was use the boot 132 setup. All i needed was the CD image that contained the dsmos and the retail leopard disc. I could then run all updates to 10.5.4 while booting from the 132 disc and finally install chameleon and copy the kext from the boot disc into my extension folder and everything works vanilla and perfect (except the secondary sata, and audio which needs the kext from sheeplover on this thread, and possibly your video which i did through efi-studio). You should easily be able to get OS X installed using the ich10r sata ports (you have 6 of them) and if you really wanted to, you could put vista on the secndary controller and vista allows you to easily install drivers for devices which dont have built in support. just copy the drivers from gigabyte's site on to a usb stick and load it during the vista install.

Has anyone else figured out how to get the purple (secondary sata) ports working? i will try to download the iatkos v4i and if i find the working kext post it here.

Thanks,

genzai

Hey folks,

I'm sorry for my abscence ... but I'm back and try to answer all PM's as soon as possible.

I like to point out one important thing here for everyone who has trouble with a EP45-Dxx-Board:

Don't use any patched Leopard DVD's and it will work!

I get PM's quite often asking for help with NICs, Sound, Sleep, Reboot, ... and they all have one thing in common: they all used one of the patched releases out there like iAtkos, Kalyway, Leo4all, ... after using a stock DVD and only the four mentioned kext from the first post of this thread they all have success.

I tried it myself, using an empty HDD and a Kalyway & iAtkos DVD with the same results. No sleep, no shutdown, no NICs,...

These releases are meant to work with a wide range of mainboards from different manufacturers and with different parts and chipsets.

I don't know how exactly these individual releases are patched and altered but I know that they use old versions of kexts and modified ones to be more compatible. This is quite good for everyone who doesn't know exactly what to do or who just wants to use one DVD for different boards, but in the case of many Gigabyte mainboards you go better by using the unpatched stock DVD.

And don't get me wrong: I really appreciate the hard work and the great efforts by the teams and individuals that build the releases I'm talking about. Without them I won't be able to have a Hackintosh myself. This is no offense but a summary of my own experiences.

So, please: try installing with a stock DVD and look at the threads of LS8 and Karaakeha1 for the proper procedures on installing, replacing kexts and getting raid to work before sending me PMs that you need kexts. I won't provide any software/kexts that aren't built by myself anyway.

hi everyone.

i also have just blown up my p35-ds4. i was running 10.5.4 perfect. Im so pissed off right now.

im guessing i can buy the dq6 and according to the first post ill be able to be up and running again without a flinch.

but i would prefer to get the p45 ds4 as i don't need all those ethernet posts and feature.

can anyone here confirm the p45 ds4 works????

Hey boiancs,

It is right that the DQ6 will boot your actual installion without any hazzles.

And I can confirm that the DS4 will work as well, I installed one for a good friend of mine three weeks ago. Same method, same kexts, same result.

But you should consider going for the DQ6 because it brings you 5 additional years of warranty from Gigabyte itself - you only need to fill out a form from the GA website and send it to them. 2 weeks later you'll receive a warranty certificate.

May I ask how you've blown up your P35-DS4?

One thing I always see is that people go with expensive mainboards and cpus and save the money by buying a cheap ass $20 PSU, one of the main reasons of mainboard-death.

I've got an EP45-DQ6 and I seem to be having problems.

Has anyone else noticed problems with the secondary SATA controller? I've got two drives on the ICH10R controller for vista, and two on the secondary controller for OSX and linux... and it doesn't seem to recognize my drives.

Did you install the driver for the JMicron JMB363?

That is the secondary SATA controller on your board.

The Silicon Image Sil5723 are port splitters hanging off the jmb363 ports.

Maybe you are not able to use more than 1 port per Sil5723.

Thanks again to all those who gave me help.

As to be expected it wasn't as straight forward as one would hoped for.

I have the same mobo as madmax123 but his recommended boot disk wouldnt boot.

So I used Zoka's recommendation of GRUB boot loader - Was the ONLY one to work for me.

Installing from Retail DVD 10.5.0 was simply and fast (no other installers worked e.g. iAktos, Kalyway or leo4all)

After install I Booted from GRUB boot loader and chose 80 for HD

Leopard booted SO FAST - Faster than my real iMac 2.8!

Installed Radeon Drivers to enable QE, installed Audio kext and works (but nosiy)

Added Hard Drive icon fix kexts

Added smbios for MacPro (Shows Model Name: Mac, Model Identifier: EP45-DS3P, Random serial bla bla) Oh well nearly got that to work

Installed CS3 with ELicense and works GREAT. That Photoshop horse test finished in 10seconds!!! Yeeha My old iMac 2.8 did it in 21seconds

Played Halo, AOE3, Quake 4 and all played fine

Haven't installed my Retail copy of Final Cut Studio yet.

DVD player works, Front Row works

However Upgrading to 10.5.4 was a b*tch

No simple combo update for me.... long story short I have to run terminal and do the

"while sleep 1 ; do rm -rf /System/Library/Extensions/AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext ; done" trick then do

"sudo nano /System/InstallAtStartup/scripts/1Find the line with /System/Library/Extensions/Dont Steal Mac OS X.kextReplace it with: /System/Library/Extenions/dmos.kext"

I had to force reboot after the first restart

But upon 2nd boot I finally loaded into 10.5.4

I forgot to re-add hard drive fix and audio kext, but was able to afterwards with no issues

I still want my system profiler to show my hack as a MacPro 3.1 with some sort of serial (any help guys - google isn't my friend at the moment)

Audio half works but is horribly noisy when moving cursor or if the system is doing anything

Any tips on how to boot without boot loader - I installed chameleon etc but Im still forced to use Boot CD (for now this is the least of my worries)

Again thank you to madmax123 and zoka for your help, also to caveman for his kind words of recouragement.

My Final setup is

Mobo : Gigabyte GA-EP-45-DS3P

CPU : Intel Q9550 QuadCore 2.83 GHz (recognized as 2.83 Unknown)

RAM : 4 GB GSkill DDR2 1066 RAM (recognized as 800MHz DDR2)

DVD : SATA LG GH20 (Toast burned DVD's fine with it)

DISK : WD SE16 640 GB

VGA : Sapphire Radeon HD3870 512 MB - Fully QE after installing ATI HD3870.pkg

Case : Antec P182

PSU : Silverstone Decathlon DA650Watt

Sound : Working with front only headphone out using GAEP45 Audio kext (Very noisy tho)

**The reason I keep posting here is because Im using a newer Mobo using P45 ICH 10R just like the OP Mobo uses**

Update:

Final Cut Studio installs and runs fine using a retail DVD install, but added "apparent MacPro SMBIOS kext"

that doesn't actually show my hack as a MacPro but never mind. Any help as I also want to show some kind of real serial number also.

I was a dork and brought the newest retail DVD 10.5.4 to help me justify this all (I had a backup copy of 10.5.0 for all my previous installs)

Unfortunately 10.5.4 wont boot up, I was able to install it from another leopard partition tho via terminal, I then installed 3870 driver and was able to boot into it ok.

I still cant boot direct from HD yet (chameleon). It tries too and then I get a "you must restart message" in several languages. Oh well, boot cd it still is for me then.

All 6 of my Sata ports show up in the profiler, but as "Unknown AHCI Standard Controller" but all work fine.

Ideally I would like them to show ICH10R if anyone can help - apparently I need to add the device ID to a particular .plist file?

Also my internal drives show as orange icons. Prior to 10.5.4 I used the freely available hard drive fix kexts but they don't work with 10.5.4.

Sound is still cracklely and noisy using the GA-EP45 audio kext posted on the first page.

Shut down, restart dont work this time round, my install CHUD as advised by some.

To the person asking about the GA-EP45-DS4 - it does work aparently. Track down a person called Zoka, they use one themself. They used GRUB 132 boot loader (which is the only one that worked for me also)

Ok so now Im gonna try and do LS8 install method as I have 2 leopard partitions now http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=77165

I also received my Dell 2408WFP Ultrasharp LCD. Dell's phone support s*cks and it took them 4 days to process my payment BUT it arived the day after payment cleared 5 days before estimated delivery date. DVI connection works yay. The screen is good for the price but I got rev00 so it has a lag issue and sharpness control problem =(

GAEP45_Audio.zip

These are the kext I use at the moment. It is the newest AppleHDA.kext. However, this produces some ugly noises, especially when playing sound after a period of silence. Using the older .kext shall solve the problem but I didn't felt like trying it yet :angel:

Completed my first ever build using this motherboard before I found this thread. Audio was a pain in the behind til i saw this post so thakns for the info!

In retrospect i should have used an unpatched distro, but its working fine for me at this point. Any suggestions on a good kernel for this seeing as my vanilla kernel does not work properly with sleep etc.?

Thanks,

BassBlu

hey i have never built a hackintosh. i am interested in the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 board, but wonder if i would be better off using a board like the Gigabyte P35-DS4 the first go 'round? with the GA-EP45-DQ6 it seems a bit of a process to get it all running -- hit or miss in some cases.

(or any better suggestions for 6+ working SATA.. out of the box would be awesome but i don't think any do? thanks!)

hey i have never built a hackintosh. i am interested in the GIGABYTE GA-EP45-DQ6 board, but wonder if i would be better off using a board like the Gigabyte P35-DS4 the first go 'round? with the GA-EP45-DQ6 it seems a bit of a process to get it all running -- hit or miss in some cases.

(or any better suggestions for 6+ working SATA.. out of the box would be awesome but i don't think any do? thanks!)

My board the GA-EP45-DS3P has 6 SATA that all work out of the box. havent tried RAID tho.

The P35-DS4 is very well documented board - if you can find one, it'll be good.

Sheeplover,

I have an EP45-DQ6 coming. I understand your post about not using any patched install dvd's for this board and I will try the method you outline with a retail 10.5.1. But, I am curious, can this method be used to make a dual boot system? I'm going to put in XP as my other OS. Everything I've read seems to indicate that XP should be installed first in one partition of the boot drive (This will be a Raptor 300GB). Is it possible to use the install method on the other partition?

Just curious what your thoughts are. thanks.

Ordered Items:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 w/ E8600

Corsair 4 GB

XFX 8800GTS

Raptor 300GB

2 - 1TB HDD

Asus DVD Burner

Sheeplover,

I have an EP45-DQ6 coming. I understand your post about not using any patched install dvd's for this board and I will try the method you outline with a retail 10.5.1. But, I am curious, can this method be used to make a dual boot system? I'm going to put in XP as my other OS. Everything I've read seems to indicate that XP should be installed first in one partition of the boot drive (This will be a Raptor 300GB). Is it possible to use the install method on the other partition?

Just curious what your thoughts are. thanks.

Ordered Items:

Gigabyte GA-EP45-DQ6 w/ E8600

Corsair 4 GB

XFX 8800GTS

Raptor 300GB

2 - 1TB HDD

Asus DVD Burner

I'm sorry but I don't have any experience in dualbooting systems because I really and absolutely don't need Windows.

But if I had to I would install it on a second harddrive. Take a look at the LS8_Thread .. if I remeber it right there was some discussion on it a well.

I'm sorry but I don't have any experience in dualbooting systems because I really and absolutely don't need Windows.

But if I had to I would install it on a second harddrive. Take a look at the LS8_Thread .. if I remeber it right there was some discussion on it a well.

Many Thanks!!!

Hi everybody :)

I needed to change my old PC/Win XP based DAW and could not make a choice between PC and Mac :

PC : reliable hardware when choosen correctly, but forced to use Windows :rolleyes:

Mac : OSX is the best, but hardware does not answer to my needs except Mac Pro overdimensioned and too expensive :(

Thanks to the OSX86 Community, I could choose the best of the 2 worlds and build a Hackintosh DAW based on the Gigabyte EP45-DS3 mobo that works perfectly :)

The complete configuration is as follows :

Case : Antec Studio Take 4

Mobo : GA-EP45-DS3

Processor : Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 (3.16 GHz, 45 nm) with Zalman CNPS7500 Cu Led fan

Ram : 8 Gb G-Skill Extreme DDR2 PC8500

Graphics : Asus NVIDIA EN 7300 GT with dual screen enabled (Thanks Krazubu ;) for the NVIDIA tutorial) - 1x 22" 1680x1050 on DVI and 1x 19" 1280x1024 on VGA. I first tried a Sapphire ATI HD 3870 but could not make it work.

HD : 2x S-ATA 500 Go Seagate Barracuda 7200.11

DVD RW : S-ATA Asus DRW 2014L1T

Lan : 1 old Realtek 8139 PCI card working without any patching (I was almost ready to scrap it not long ago !)

Audio interface : RME Fireface 400 (Firewire)

I have installed First a Kalyway 10.5.2 distro (updated to 10.5.4) and then a retail Leopard 10.5.4 DVD using LS8 guidelines and V12 package with Chameleon EFI. It went smoothly with no major issue. Thanks LS8 :)

As I wanted as little kext patch as possible and the best compatibility, I have disabled the following features on the EP45-DS3 : IDE, LAN, Audio, Serial, Parallel. S-ATA is set to AHCI mode.

Sor far, the result is perfect except Time Machine (apparently it needs an ETH0 lan adapter to work). Shutdown and Reboot work fine, I did not test sleep as I do not need it.

First music record and playback tests performed with Logic Express 8 and the RME audio interface : no issue at all :)

Stable, fast, great sound - I just hope it will remain like this !

Regards.

Thierry

Update, I've had a lot of issues, due to my own stupidity, but now I've got everything working:

10.5 Retail install (vanilla kernel) + 10.5.4 Combo update.

Sound working INCL line-in, GuitarPort working (some buzz)

8800GTS working @ 1920x1200, QE + CI

Network working OOTB

EFI_v8 / GPT

Shutdown/reboot working, sleep not tested

But my Xbench scores are REALLY low for hard disk. I read somewhere that I need to set in my BIOS: MTRR Settings from Continuous to Discrete. I don't see anywhere in my bios with a similar option. Does anyone know how to fix this?

GA-EP45-DS3L

CORE DUO E8500 3.0 GHz

SATA HP DVD1070

SATA WD CAVIAR 320GB 7200

ARCTIC FREEZER CPU COOLER

BFG 8800 GT OC 512MB

USED iATKOS V4I FOR OSX INSTALL

ETHERNET WORKS OUT OF BOX

P35-DSx INSTALLER PACKAGE FOR ALC888 AUDIO AND 9.4 MODBIN KERNEL

NVIDIA INSTALLER 3.0 + EFISTUDIO FOR FULL GRAPHICS SUPPORT (QE AND DUAL MONITORS)

COMPLETE AND STABLE INSTALL AFTER MINIMAL EFFORT

VERY IMPRESSED W/P45 BOARDS SO FAR

I managed to do a retail DVD install using Grub DFE boot cd. After the leopard install, I installed the combo updates, installed chameleon efi, and LS8-V12 kexts. The only problem I am currently having is with Shut Down. The machine just will not power-off.

BTW, I can restart the machine and also put it to sleep. Anyone else have this problem and managed to resolve it? Please let me know.

Thanks

Just wanted to say thanks for this guide. Out of all the ways I tried installing this was my favorite.

A couple of things screwed me up so I'll give this info in the hopes it helps someone.

The first time I tried installing I was using a burned osx 10.5.2 dvd. During the install of the OSInstall.mpkg I would get an error and the install would crash. I though it was just the process that was flawed, but I ended up creating an ISO from the DVD to HD, mounting the iso from HD, and then trying the install. This worked. The next day I went out and bought a real 10.5.4 dvd and tried installing again. This time the process worked. Looks like it was some issue with my copy.

One more thing. When the post script starts to do permission repair it pauses at 20/30% for quite a while. THe first time around I thought it was stalled so I ended it. FYI, just wait a little longer and it will complete.

Instead of the EFI studio I used osx86tools to install my gfx strings. Worked great with all the correct card info and acceleration enabled.

The ONLY thing that is annoying is that my firepod audio is crackly for 1/2 second when i start a new audio source. Not sure if this is due to this mobo. I used this firewire audio on both of my previous mobos ( ep35-ds4 and bx2) and never had this issue. It plays fine, just an annoying crackle when new sound sources start)

Thanks again

YOU SHOULD HAVE YOUR CONTROLLER SET AT THE ACHI (RAID) setting. If not your install doesn't go through properly.

update:

Hardware:

EP45-DS4 board

Q9300

eVGA 8800GTS 512MB (G92)

Corsair 750TX PSU

The ONLY thing that is annoying is that my firepod audio is crackly for 1/2 second when i start a new audio source. Not sure if this is due to this mobo. I used this firewire audio on both of my previous mobos ( ep35-ds4 and bx2) and never had this issue. It plays fine, just an annoying crackle when new sound sources start)

Did some digging and someone was saying that efi-v8 has some issues detecting or setting the fsb data. The recommendation was to install chameleon as it is supposed to handle that better. At first I thought this meant that I needed to reinstall in some other process, but as it turns out, you just mount the run the chameleon install program, point it at your boot drive, and install. Reboot.

No more flaky firewire sound problems. Hope this helps someone.

That makes my e45-dq6 a perfect machine now. Thank you.

Ok, back to the drawing board today. The 10.5.5 update froze at 63% and I wasn't able to get time machine working (I'd heard 10.5.5 had improved support.)

Anyways, now I want to reinstall, and do it on a RAID-0. I'll be more careful this time, promise :P

All retail DVD guides that I've read, and the Chameleon EFI/RAID guide (here) say this:

For any Retail Leopard install First requirement is working Leopard

That seems to be a bit redundant to me.

I've got IATKOS v4i (10.5.4) and leo4all v3, and I've tried close to 20x to install on my machine without success. The DVD says the install was successful, but it won't boot, GUID or MBR, and whether or not I check any combination of bootloaders.

I got my last install working by installing on my old desktop (PD940, Intel D945PVS) and installing from the retail dvd on my new hard drive as a slave (all from the old computer)

Can somebody help me, or at least point me, to a guide to install from a patched dvd on this board?