DFE's BOOT-132 Resources Thread

sonotone

152 posts in this topic

I'm very new here, and I have no Unix programming background (though given good directions I'm not afraid to edit code if I have to, so long as I'm editing a copy and still have the original saved on different media). I am interested in building my own machine, and have been gifted with an Intel (I think) Super X5DPA-TGM system board, dual Xeon processors and 2Gb of RAM installed. Based on what I've seen from reading much of this topic no one has attempted this board before. The board says it is Rev 1.01, and it has an AMIBIOS 786Q copyrighted in 2000. It has 5 PCI slots, PS-2 and USB, appears to have ethernet on the board as well as video and DB9 serial, 2 IDE controllers and a floppy controller. There is what appears to be a VRAM slot, but it is empty.

Since I'm a total newby at this, I am looking for the files I would need to install OS X Leopard 10.5. I will not be ready to do this for a time, since I don't yet have a case, power supply, or DVD drive for it. I will likely want to get a PCI video card since I don't know if the on-board video will work (it's ATI RageXL according to the graphics chip), and I may have to invest in a SATA card since I keep seeing posts that indicate IDE or EIDE (UltraATA) drives don't appear to work (though I have a 120Gb IDE Seagate drive that came with the board, if there's a way to get it working). Since I know there are Mac Pro machines out there that Apple built with dual Xeons, I think it would be interesting to have a similar machine for far less than the cost of a Mac Pro.

Any suggestions or instructions would be greatly appreciated, and I will try to repay what I learn here in some fashion going forward. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

• 1 year later...