Gigabyte GA-EP45-DS3R?

315 posts in this topic

Got the overclock working, now i have to stop Itunes from crashing

Seems weird I use it pretty much 24/7 and have yet to see it crash or anything else for that matter try the mprime257 at the link below. Once you have extracted it open Terminal then switch to the directory that was created and use ./mprime -m and go for the stress test option if you can complete a few hours of this with none of the threads crashing then the overclock should be good and something else is causing the iTunes problems you may want to get Temperature Monitor to make sure the temps don't get too high as well.

http://www.mersenne.org/gimps/

http://www.bresink.de/osx/TemperatureMonitor.html

Alright guys, many thanks to all the efforts poeple in this thread and forum have put into getting this board working. Everything is working perfect on this machine. My logitech bluetooth mouse came in, Samsung 245T display came in, and the Apple keyboard is awesome. My audio does not recognize in the system profiler, but it works 100% so I am going to give up on that. My system profiler still says no display connected, but I have full resolution and everything works.

Only one issue. When I shut the machine down, it does not completely shut down everytime I still have to hold the power button down. I running a hybrid of DFE and the DS4 Boot ISO, and I installed the AppleACPI from this thread, which helps out with other issues.

You may want to go to http://psystar.com and get the OpenHaltRestart.kext and see if it will work for you it is under the Open Source link.

Just got my board this morning.

Here's what's not working now (time to go to bed!)

• Audio - got it to appear in System Prefs, but no sound
  • Video - 8600GT not recognizing the HD component out
  • Sata - drives appear as external

Almost everything works! Although I feel like I cheated a little...

1. I restored an image I created for an intel iMac onto a sata drive (10.5.3 and GUID) and stuck into my hackintosh
  2. Used boot-132 and chameleon to fix startup, restart and shutdown issues
  3. Upgraded to 10.5.4 using Apple's combo installer

Going to clone the drive and install 10.5.5 in the morning. See what happens with the problems.

To anyone who has successfully got dual boot to work with this mobo: what method did you use? Please be as detailed as possible also telling me what version bios you are using. I have successfully installed each operating system but can't seem to get them both working. System specs are: q6600/ep45ds3r/500gb seagate sata/4gb gskill ddr2-800/pioneer 216 sata dvd burner.

If i install vista first, I can't boot my leo4all dvd unless I disable AHCI, which makes the osx installer think my harddrive is 128gb.

If i install leopard first, I can't install vista because it says something about not being able to install onto a HCR (or something) formatted drive.

To anyone who has successfully got dual boot to work with this mobo: what method did you use? Please be as detailed as possible also telling me what version bios you are using. I have successfully installed each operating system but can't seem to get them both working. System specs are: q6600/ep45ds3r/500gb seagate sata/4gb gskill ddr2-800/pioneer 216 sata dvd burner.

If i install vista first, I can't boot my leo4all dvd unless I disable AHCI, which makes the osx installer think my harddrive is 128gb.

If i install leopard first, I can't install vista because it says something about not being able to install onto a HCR (or something) formatted drive.

The easiest way to dual boot is to have two drives install vista on the first then OS X on the second once done when booting hit the F12 key to select which drive you want to boot from.

Ok I have compiled a Boot 132 CD that will work the the GA-EP45-DS3R. It works with my setup running BIOS F10. All works with this except Audio and AHCI, you will need the Kexts and Plists found earlier in this thread for those.

Please note that I am not responsible if this damages your machine. Try at your own risk. Please post your feed back with this.

Version 2:

http://www.mediafire.com/?3rtgelijyzw

I'm working on a new build and will be using this board. Just wanted to say thanks for all the great discussion and information on this thread. I feel pretty confident about having a successful install.

Updated to F10, same issue:

Disk Utility returns

-----------------------------

Partition failed with the error:

File system formatter failed.

Using iDeben v1.3

Kalyway 10.5.2 finished downloading checking md5 and then will be burning and installing.

Kalyway booted with -v no errors shown. Installation launched went to Disk Utility selected Erase on the drive and got the same error as above except with Volume erase failed. When selecting the partition itself i get

Volume Erase Failed

Volume Erase Failed with the error:

The underlying task reported failure on exit.

Not sure what todo next, Vista Ultimate installed without a hitch god save me for forsaking Apple lol. I believe it has to do with AHCI but i'm not sure, and if that's the case i might of just gotten a faulty board.

Downloading Kalyway 10.5.1 now

ISSUE RESOLVED:

Was using MBR instead of GUID or Apple....idiot me...

And...TaDa working at 10.5.5

no issues thus far

hi there, which distro did you use and what options? cheers

hi there, which distro did you use and what options? cheers

I wouldn´t recommend to use any patched distros for this board - retail is a better choice. read here

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry883119

wrote also a guide for a DAW based on that board

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry940826

there you will find a pkg with (almost) everything you need to install on this board

i've got this motherboard to work after a few days work :thumbsup_anim:

AHCI , GUID, kalyway 10.5.2.

added lh8v14 for easy install , audio working + netoworking + fw

then some ps2 hacks

latest netkas smbios

i've managed to combo upgrade to 10.5.5 with the netkas method , then reapply all fixes & it works like a charm.

Results 176.22

System Info

Xbench Version 1.3

System Version 10.5.5 (9F33)

Physical RAM 4096 MB

Model iMac7,1

Drive Type ST3500320AS

CPU Test 203.11

GCD Loop 353.03 18.61 Mops/sec

Floating Point Basic 171.86 4.08 Gflop/sec

vecLib FFT 140.73 4.64 Gflop/sec

Floating Point Library 254.02 44.23 Mops/sec

Thread Test 505.98

Computation 1139.00 23.07 Mops/sec, 4 threads

Lock Contention 325.23 13.99 Mlocks/sec, 4 threads

Memory Test 258.88

System 285.62

Allocate 371.95 1.37 Malloc/sec

Fill 233.13 11335.33 MB/sec

Copy 283.65 5858.61 MB/sec

Stream 236.71

Copy 220.76 4559.80 MB/sec

Scale 220.64 4558.41 MB/sec

Add 254.47 5420.75 MB/sec

Triad 255.99 5476.34 MB/sec

Quartz Graphics Test 252.67

Line 222.77 14.83 Klines/sec [50% alpha]

Rectangle 304.70 90.97 Krects/sec [50% alpha]

Circle 248.14 20.23 Kcircles/sec [50% alpha]

Bezier 246.98 6.23 Kbeziers/sec [50% alpha]

Text 253.86 15.88 Kchars/sec

OpenGL Graphics Test 188.93

Spinning Squares 188.93 239.66 frames/sec

User Interface Test 189.20

Elements 189.20 868.35 refresh/sec

Disk Test 69.32

Sequential 178.73

Uncached Write 196.89 120.89 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 194.57 110.09 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 128.17 37.51 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 229.35 115.27 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Random 43.00

Uncached Write 13.22 1.40 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Write 313.18 100.26 MB/sec [256K blocks]

Uncached Read 112.16 0.79 MB/sec [4K blocks]

Uncached Read 190.27 35.31 MB/sec [256K blocks]

xbench results , first time i do this so i can't really compare , will test this system further this week...

WOOOOHOOOO, I am now working 100%! GA-EP45-DS3R, Bios F10, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, EVGA 8800GT, 4GB RAM. I installed using a Retail DVD 10.5 install. Had a few hang ups along the way, but I am all there now. To help others along the way I set up a Boot 132 for this board. I just made the second version of it, fixes a couple minor issues the first one had. Here it is:

You will also need Apple HDA Enabler, Apple HDA, and ALC inject. You will have to install using Kext Helper (remember to repair your disk permission after you do so) then restart. Here is a package with all three:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzziytmjnyo

Last thing you will need is the AHCI Stuff. The best way to do it is on page 3 of this thread. MacUser2525 posted it. (Remember to repair disk permission before you restart after these steps.

You should have a fully working machine after these simple steps.

WOOOOHOOOO, I am now working 100%! GA-EP45-DS3R, Bios F10, Intel Core 2 Duo E8500, EVGA 8800GT, 4GB RAM. I installed using a Retail DVD 10.5 install. Had a few hang ups along the way, but I am all there now. To help others along the way I set up a Boot 132 for this board. I just made the second version of it, fixes a couple minor issues the first one had. Here it is:

You will also need Apple HDA Enabler, Apple HDA, and ALC inject. You will have to install using Kext Helper (remember to repair your disk permission after you do so) then restart. Here is a package with all three:

http://www.mediafire.com/?jzziytmjnyo

Last thing you will need is the AHCI Stuff. The best way to do it is on page 3 of this thread. MacUser2525 posted it. (Remember to repair disk permission before you restart after these steps.

You should have a fully working machine after these simple steps.

I tried your "second version" of boot132 and had no luck at all. It appears to look the same as the normal boot132 iso, but it just won't boot my machine. I upped my bios to f10 and tried again...no go. I can boot from the regular boot132 every time...of course I have had no luck what-so-ever installing retail. Any insight? This is what it says when I use your boot132 modified version:

Verifying DMI Pool Data ............ Update Success

>F0000080

<00000002

0000000C1

*<00064028

Now to be fair it does this even without your boot cd in there. I got Kalaway 10.5.2 to install, but can't get it to boot after the install.

Okay...let me expand what is happening a bit...

1. I burnt generic.iso (Boot-132) to a CD

2. I loaded fail-safe bios settings then..

a. Changed to ACHI

b. Boot order (1. cd-rom, 2. hdd, blah)

3. Boot-132 in drive, turn on computer

4. Boot CD works

i.e. ISOLINUX 3.63 2008-04-10 Copyright © 1994-2008 H. Peter Anvin

COM32 Multiboot loader v0.2. Copyright © 2005-2006 Tim Deegan

Kernal: /boot

etc.....works fine

5. At the boot prompt..I press enter

6. Insert OSX 10.5.4 into drive and wait for light to stop flashing

AHT version 3A152

Disc version 1.0

2Z691-6248-A

**Could this not be a retail DVD? It is a 2 disc install set from a brand new Macbook Pro my boss just bought. Is this perhaps an upgrade disc? I wanted to make sure I could get this to work before investing in my own copy.

7. Enter two-digit hexadecimal boot device [fe]: I press enter again without entering anything.

8. Loading Darwin/x86

EBIOS read error: Error 0x01

Block 16432736 Sectors 64

****It does this 4 times then continues to read the DVD

9. Errors encountered while starting up computer...(missed what else it said...couldn't press pause in time)

10. White apple logo screen with spinning loading thing

11. Black screen with pinwheel

12. Leopard background (starlight or whatever)

13. Language selection: English

14. Preparing installation...

15. Mac OS X cannont be installed on this computer

This software cannot be installed on this computer.

OK Restart

Any ideas? Yes, both of my drive were formatted at this point in disk utility (GUID, Mac OS Extended (Journaled). Both of my drives have an orange icon...which I expected. Everything seems fine except it just won't install. The Mac OS Installer gets to this point every single time (with the original Boot-132). I have access to all Utilities, but I can't install anything.

Hi, Noob here

Just bought this board and having problem getting to the install GUI.

Install Method:

Enable AHCI in Sata Controller BIOS (This is all I did to BIOS)

Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD

Problem:

Got to the language screen and the Preparing Installation screen.

But then screen went gray and shut the computer off.

Hardware:

GA-EP45-DS3R (BIOS F10)

Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 Yorkfield 2.5GHz 6MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1000 (PC2 8000) Dual Channel

EVGA 8800 GT

SATA SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW

Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3160815AS 160GB 7200 RPM 8MB Cache SATA

Any help is appreciated.

Steve

6. Insert OSX 10.5.4 into drive and wait for light to stop flashing

AHT version 3A152

Disc version 1.0

2Z691-6248-A

**Could this not be a retail DVD? It is a 2 disc install set from a brand new Macbook Pro my boss just bought. Is this perhaps an upgrade disc? I wanted to make sure I could get this to work before investing in my own copy.

I am not 100% sure about this, but I believe the disks that ship with a Macbook Pro are customized for a MBP. So I'm not sure if you can use that on a non-mbp.

What is your video card, Nexidus? IIRC, 10.5.4 had problems with the 8800 series cards and you need to install an earlier version and then upgrade from there so that you'll have compatable drivers. Or something like that. Try checking some of the threads on using 8800 series cards.

I did finally get my Hackintosh using this board to work last night. I forget if I used Kalway 10.5.2 or iAkitos? v.4 (I couldn't get my boot132-retail combo to work), but I did turn off Firewire in the bios just before it finally booted into OSX off of the HD with the -v -x flags set. So try those settings when you are trying to get it to boot/install.

That might help you as well Transocal. I know I had a bear of a time trying to get this to work and I've got a very similar setup.

George, thanks for effort.

Disable Firewire in the bios did not help...

More details regarding my install...

If I do not hit F8, then I will get "/com.apple.Boot.plist" not found

and then I get ....hd (128,0) ethernet pxe client and it goes no where.

If I hit F8, also tried -v -x, I will get the language screen and preparing

installation, then it gives me a install error log, then automatically shut

my computer off.

Still don't understand why other folks have no trouble with Kalyway 10.5.2 on

this board, yet with my minimal setup, all SATA drives, it just won't install.

Thanks,

Steve

I did finally get my Hackintosh using this board to work last night. I forget if I used Kalway 10.5.2 or iAkitos? v.4 (I couldn't get my boot132-retail combo to work), but I did turn off Firewire in the bios just before it finally booted into OSX off of the HD with the -v -x flags set. So try those settings when you are trying to get it to boot/install.

That might help you as well Transocal. I know I had a bear of a time trying to get this to work and I've got a very similar setup.

George, thanks for effort.

Disable Firewire in the bios did not help...

More details regarding my install...

If I do not hit F8, then I will get "/com.apple.Boot.plist" not found

and then I get ....hd (128,0) ethernet pxe client and it goes no where.

If I hit F8, also tried -v -x, I will get the language screen and preparing

installation, then it gives me a install error log, then automatically shut

my computer off.

Still don't understand why other folks have no trouble with Kalyway 10.5.2 on

this board, yet with my minimal setup, all SATA drives, it just won't install.

I've found it necessary to hit f12 to bring up the boot menu (IIRC f8 is quick restore mode) pretty much every time. Whenever I have tried to just set a boot device, it just hangs. Also it seems to work better if I select the name of the dvd drive (Ex. Samsung XL-707) rather than just cd.

Also make sure you have all of the legacy PC stuff like PS2 connectors, Serial ports and parallel ports disabled. That helped with some of the problems I was having.

I've found it necessary to hit f12 to bring up the boot menu (IIRC f8 is quick restore mode) pretty much every time. Whenever I have tried to just set a boot device, it just hangs. Also it seems to work better if I select the name of the dvd drive (Ex. Samsung XL-707) rather than just cd.

Also make sure you have all of the legacy PC stuff like PS2 connectors, Serial ports and parallel ports disabled. That helped with some of the problems I was having.

I've disabled everything except AHCI in the Integrated Peripherals and still does not work.

I am sure my new Seagate HDD does not come with HFS, should it be? Also, it's set to Cable Select, should I force this Primary on SATA 0?

My Samsung SATA DVD/RW drive is also on Cable Select, should this be forced to Slave? Current on SATA 2.

Outside of that, I am out of options. Perhaps, I will need to use other distros, such as iDeneb or others.

Steve

I've disabled everything except AHCI in the Integrated Peripherals and still does not work.

I am sure my new Seagate HDD does not come with HFS, should it be? Also, it's set to Cable Select, should I force this Primary on SATA 0?

My Samsung SATA DVD/RW drive is also on Cable Select, should this be forced to Slave? Current on SATA 2.

Outside of that, I am out of options. Perhaps, I will need to use other distros, such as iDeneb or others.

Steve

There is no such thing as cable select on SATA drives some hard drives have a jumper to limit them to the original SATA150 for boards that have problems with the SATA300. For your problem get the jumpers set properly or removed even then try with the hard drive on the first SATA port the CD/DVD on the second.

There is no such thing as cable select on SATA drives some hard drives have a jumper to limit them to the original SATA150 for boards that have problems with the SATA300. For your problem get the jumpers set properly or removed even then try with the hard drive on the first SATA port the CD/DVD on the second.

Thanks MacUser2525 for chiming in...

Remove the jumper on the Seagate from limiting 3.0 GBPS (found out that jumper for 1.5 GBPS), so it's now jumperless.

Seagate is SATA0

SATA DVD is now SATA1

Still not able to see the install GUI....

Got the Apple wallpaper, then Preparing Install screen, then

getting the Install Log - Show Error Only

halted by root and shut down by itself.

Now I am clueless noob....

Steve

Thanks MacUser2525 for chiming in...

Remove the jumper on the Seagate from limiting 3.0 GBPS (found out that jumper for 1.5 GBPS), so it's now jumperless.

Seagate is SATA0

SATA DVD is now SATA1

Still not able to see the install GUI....

Got the Apple wallpaper, then Preparing Install screen, then

getting the Install Log - Show Error Only

halted by root and shut down by itself.

Now I am clueless noob....

Steve

I see further up there you saying your using the Kalyway 10.5.2 if still using this then try with a 10.5.1 version of it nothing else I tried would boot on my board it may be the same for you.

Edit: And I should add it took a hell of a long time to boot with it too so if you see it taking 15-20+ minutes when booting with it seemingly doing nothing for minutes at a time let it go..

I see further up there you saying your using the Kalyway 10.5.2 if still using this then try with a 10.5.1 version of it nothing else I tried would boot on my board it may be the same for you.

Edit: And I should add it took a hell of a long time to boot with it too so if you see it taking 15-20+ minutes when booting with it seemingly doing nothing for minutes at a time let it go..

It will be awhile before I can get my hands on Kalyway 10.5.1.

I've been playing with the boot flags.

Hit F8 to get into boot options.

boot with -x -F now gets me to the grey apple logo, but the wheel has been spinning for like 30 minutes with no DVD activity as I type this.

Steve

It will be awhile before I can get my hands on Kalyway 10.5.1.

I've been playing with the boot flags.

Hit F8 to get into boot options.

boot with -x -F now gets me to the grey apple logo, but the wheel has been spinning for like 30 minutes with no DVD activity as I type this.

Steve

Like I said I never could get any of the others to boot perhaps this is what is going on, when using the flags put -v with them so it boots in text mode at first then you can see where/if it fails before it starts the graphical installer.