Modified boot-132 Bootloader

shardie

810 posts in this topic

Thanks overflow1972, I was able to get Leopard to install (though it complained about not being able to find the startup disk at the end).

Some issues that I encountered:

-I restarted the system after setting the startup disk to be the main hard drive. However, the computer wasn't able to detect the OS automatically (I had to boot into OS X manually via Boot Device).

-System Profiler "thinks" the computer is an iMac... is there any way to fix this?

-Currently I still need to install the proper nVidia driver, audio driver, and (missing?) firewire driver.

-Computer suffered a kernel panic when attempting to shutdown. Do I need a patch?

But again, thank you for getting my system (somewhat) up and running :wacko:

It thinks you're an iMac because you are probably using a patched AppleSMBIOS.kext. There are various other ones you can use which enable to original AppleSMBIOS.kext to be used. For example, have a look here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=108606

Regarding restart/shutdown, that's usually an ACPIPlatform.kext issue (power management). Have a search around, there are plenty of patched ones available for download.

- Sabr.

@gummy182:

happy to know that know it works (of course thanks to ELASTIC).

@sabr:

your info about AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext are very usefull. I just tried to boot my system with GA-EP35-DS4, and it works, but I did not complete the installation because I had no time.

I have a question. Let's suppose that I need to add or modify some kexts and let's suppose that I use windows to modify the iso. How can I set the correct kexts permissions on windows ?

Regards

@sabr:

your info about AppleSMBIOS.kext and AppleSMBIOS.kext are very usefull. I just tried to boot my system with GA-EP35-DS4, and it works, but I did not complete the installation because I had no time.

I have a question. Let's suppose that I need to add or modify some kexts and let's suppose that I use windows to modify the iso. How can I set the correct kexts permissions on windows ?

I don't know... I think I read in one of the boot-132 topics here somewhere that you don't need to. Whether or not that's true I don't know. So don't quote me on it. :dev:

Hi, total n00b here,

Thanks for posting that ISO sabr, I'm using the exact same mobo as you (P965-DS3), and right now I'm waiting for OSX to install, it's got around 6 mins to go.

I'll probably have a go at making my own ISO at some stage as I really need onboard sound and my 8800GT drivers on there, unless there is some way of installing them after OSX is installed?

EDIT: Is it possible to dual-boot to XP with this boot-loader method? I also need to have XP on my machine, and only have one HD installed.

EDIT2: Ok, it's just said it needs to restart after it's installed, and now it's sat there with a dark grey screen and a spinny circle thing... Is this anything to worry about?

EDIT3: This is really bizarre... I boot from the CD then choose to boot from the HD, I get the welcome Vid come up, I set my keyboard up, then I get a question about "Do you already own a Mac?", say "no" then it pauses for a while then goes back to the welcome vid! What's wrong?

Hi, total n00b here,

Thanks for posting that ISO sabr, I'm using the exact same mobo as you (P965-DS3), and right now I'm waiting for OSX to install, it's got around 6 mins to go.

I'll probably have a go at making my own ISO at some stage as I really need onboard sound and my 8800GT drivers on there, unless there is some way of installing them after OSX is installed?

EDIT: Is it possible to dual-boot to XP with this boot-loader method? I also need to have XP on my machine, and only have one HD installed.

EDIT2: Ok, it's just said it needs to restart after it's installed, and now it's sat there with a dark grey screen and a spinny circle thing... Is this anything to worry about?

EDIT3: This is really bizarre... I boot from the CD then choose to boot from the HD, I get the welcome Vid come up, I set my keyboard up, then I get a question about "Do you already own a Mac?", say "no" then it pauses for a while then goes back to the welcome vid! What's wrong?

No worries. Glad I could help (well, almost!). Did you plug your HD up to the purple SATA ports? If yes, try the orange ones, if no, try the purple ones. Can't remember which port I used to install it with.

With regard to your sound/video, the only reason I didn't include the audio kext in the ISO was because you don't really need sound for installing OS X, so I didn't really bother with it. If you want it, I can upload the ALC883 installer package which will get it working for you after installing. But that shouldn't be top on your priorities atm, you need to figure out why it stopped installing right at the end. I have a feeling that is why it's looping on the welcome section.

try setting your sata option to AHCI mode

I've set my SATA to AHCI mode in the BIOS before I partitioned the drive. :)

No worries. Glad I could help (well, almost!). Did you plug your HD up to the purple SATA ports? If yes, try the orange ones, if no, try the purple ones. Can't remember which port I used to install it with.

With regard to your sound/video, the only reason I didn't include the audio kext in the ISO was because you don't really need sound for installing OS X, so I didn't really bother with it. If you want it, I can upload the ALC883 installer package which will get it working for you after installing. But that shouldn't be top on your priorities atm, you need to figure out why it stopped installing right at the end. I have a feeling that is why it's looping on the welcome section.

Literally about 2 mins ago I managed to boot OSX for the first time! Tt looks like people have had this problem before with the 10.5.1 kalyway release, as I found with a little searching of this forum. It's already been solved too, this post in particular:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...st&p=704923

Fix:

1. Run single user mode using the -s flag while booting

2. Mount the file system as mentioned when you boot

3. Change the root password using the command "passwd root"

4. Touch (create) the .AppleSetupDone file by typing "touch /var/db/.AppleSetupDone"

This will make MacOS think that the wizard has already been completed. When you reboot you will be prompted with a username/password dialog box. Log in with the username "root" and the password previously specified.

I done this, and it boots. I had my onboard LAN disabled in the BIOS but I have a PCI wireless card in there which was probably causing it to loop. I'm also using an external USB DVD drive to install and boot from. I've been using the purple ports the entire time, and now it's working I'm happy, and I don't need to take apart my pc. :P Also, I'm using the 10.5 retail DVD.

I've got quite a todo list:

1) Get OSX to boot without the CD

2) Get wireless drivers for my card so I can attempt an update from 10.5 to 10.5.4 (and see how things hold together)

3) Get drivers for my sound and gfx card, then have a go at getting dual displays

4) Try and get XP on the same HD and dual boot.

I this may take a while but I'll get it done eventually. If you could upload the sound driver, or just link it that would be good, as I'll probably need it later on once when I get to that part...

Sabr,

I finally managed to boot the Install DVD, but after it gets to the Apple Logo screen it continues o load until it get to a Blue screen, once at this csreen it just sits and does nothing. Any ideas how to fix this?

I have a HP Pavillion dv6122ea (information can be found here

Originally Intel Core Duo T2050 / 1.6 GHz,I upgraded to 2.0Ghz Intel Core2Duo

Originally 1GB RAM, I upgraded to 2GB RAM

Intel 950GMA Graphics Chipset

I hope you or somebody can help me, Also what is the best ISO boot image to use to get best compatability or can yourself or somebdy make me an ISO with all kexts to boot and instal the retail disc?

I am using the ISO file from this post

Laptop ISO File

Hi All,

This is my first time installing MacOSX with my current PC. I was so excited when I heard about it. Without thinking much, I've made a purchase of Original Leo DVD, USB Keyboard (because it just won't work with PS/2 without loading into leo) and a USB Mouse for installation purpose. I've been trying an error and reading alot from the forum... So far everything had been running smooth with retail disc + boot-132 loader.

Specs:

Proc: Intel e8400

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-P35-DS4 ver 2.0

Graphic: Sapphire ATi HD3870

HDD: 250GB SATA-II

RAM 2 x 1GB Crucial RAM

Optical: LG-Hitachi SATA DVD-Writer

Bootloader: generic.iso / customized DS4.iso (Special thanks to elastic)

after a fresh install + reboot using "-v -f" method, it works for generic.iso but it won't work on DS4.iso (it will stuck at Firewire while loading). I've disabled firewire in the bios and proceed with the loading and it works. Right after everything is working fine, without making any changes after installation, I continued with Software Upgrade (as far as I understand, HD3870 driver requires OS ver. 10.5.2 and above) to 10.5.4 from apple updates. Everything just went well with the updates until it finish and tries to reboot. It hangs while OS trying to make a reboot. I did a reset to the machine and load using both generic / DS4.iso but this time, whenever I tries boot up leo, it will fail...

My Question

--------------

1) Any steps/precaution I have to aware with apple software updates? The reason I'm asking this because I've seen many people manage to update to 10.5.4 even with fresh install from leo 10.5

2) Whenever Firewire is enabled in bios, I can never use customized DS4.iso provided by elastic. Does it mean the Firewire driver does not match with the one provided by him?

I had did my best to look for the solution online before asking these questions. I hope I can get some feedback for my simple questions.

Finally, Thank You everyone for making this possible!

Hi everybody,

I wonder if anyody can help me.

I managed to boot the Install DVD, but after it gets to the Apple Logo screen it continues o load until it get to a Blue screen, once at this csreen it just sits and does nothing. Any ideas how to fix this?

I have a HP Pavillion dv6122ea (information can be found here)

Originally Intel Core Duo T2050 / 1.6 GHz,I upgraded to 2.0Ghz Intel Core2Duo

Originally 1GB RAM, I upgraded to 2GB RAM

Intel 950GMA Graphics Chipset

I hope somebody can help me, Also what is the best ISO boot image to use to get best compatability could somebdy make me an ISO with all kexts to boot and instal the retail disc compatabile with my system?

I am using the ISO file from this post

Laptop ISO File

Thank you for your time

NSCXP2005

Like many others, I'm using the generic.iso, and it clears the Apple logo and spinning wheel, but stops on the blue screen. No cursor ever appears. This is on a Thinkpad T60 (1.6Ghz Core Solo, integrated graphics; not sure about specific chipsets - my apologies).

Ultimately, I'm much more interested in getting this to work on my upcoming Asus Eee 901, but that hasn't arrived yet so I'll make do with what I have. ;)

Like many others, I'm using the generic.iso, and it clears the Apple logo and spinning wheel, but stops on the blue screen. No cursor ever appears.

NSCXP2005 and Hawker: I am having the same problem. I am fairly certain it is related to the integrated graphics (GMA 950). I have tried using several kext from the Kalyway 10.5.2, but to no avail.

Geeze

I've just installed the 10.5.4 combo update from the apple site, and I think it's quite an update due to me using the 10.5 retail disk to install from. Anyway, it says it's updating the cache, and the spinny circle thing has been there for a good 5 mins now, does it normally take this long to do an update or has it crashed (my usb mouse and keyboard do nothing...)?

Just booted into retail install. So the USB 2.0 enclosure helped. :thumbsup_anim::)

Yep, I used an external USB DVD drive, makes things like this a breeze. ;)

hello guys,

glad to know that my custom kexts are helping around, just wait until tomorrow (so i can get back in my studio) and I will post the list of kexts i'm using on that .iso

i also have the shutdown kernel panic issue, i'm going to try to follow Sabr advice and search some solutions on power management kext

as for the iMac appearing as computer model, i kind of like it that way :)

cheers

Just to let you guys know, the 10.5.4 update screwed up my install, so I'm now reinstalling 10.5.

You guys may have more luck than me, I'm still getting to grips with it all. :)

I'm going to see if I can get everything to work in 10.5 first before going for the update. :thumbsup_anim:

I have not seen anywhere in my searches about anyone sucessfully installing Leopard on an ABIT board, but I would like to change that.

After I partitioned (FAT32) my (new) drive I rebooted to the (Kalyway 10.5.1 ) DVD and it loaded about 5 minutes , then flashed the white screen with a big grey apple for about a half second at most, then machine reboots. I have tried this more than once with the same result. (Seriously, I have tried this atleast 15-20 times) Do you have any suggestions? Any help you could offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Thankyou! Computer info below:

--------[ Summary ]-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Computer:

Operating System Microsoft Windows Vista Media Center Edition

OS Service Pack -

DirectX 4.09.00.0904 (DirectX 9.0c)

Computer Name 72ABIT

User Name seven

Motherboard:

CPU Type Intel Pentium 4 531, 3000 MHz (15 x 200)

Motherboard Name ABIT IL9Pro

Motherboard Chipset Intel Lakeport-G i945G

System Memory 1024 MB (DDR2-667 DDR2 SDRAM)

BIOS Type AMI (09/17/07)

Communication Port Communications Port (COM1)

Communication Port ECP Printer Port (LPT1)

Display:

Video Adapter GeForce 6200 LE

Video Adapter GeForce 6200 LE

3D Accelerator nVIDIA NV44

Monitor Dell 1701FP (Analog) [17" LCD] (06HRM157AP75)

Multimedia:

Audio Adapter Intel 82801GB ICH7 - High Definition Audio Controller [A-1]

Storage:

IDE Controller Intel® 82801G (ICH7 Family) Ultra ATA Storage Controllers - 27DF

IDE Controller Intel® 82801GB/GR/GH (ICH7 Family) Serial ATA Storage Controller - 27C0

( I did try installing Matrix storage controller both in xp and Vista but I don't think my bios supports it. I re-installed both operating systems twice for that purpose before giving up) - I was hoping to be able to use AHCI mode =(

SCSI/RAID Controller Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

Floppy Drive Floppy disk drive

Disk Drive ST3750330AS ATA Device (698 GB, IDE)0

Disk Drive ST3750330AS ATA Device (698 GB, IDE)1

Optical Drive JLMS XJ-HD166S ATA Device (16x/48x DVD-ROM)

Optical Drive Optiarc DVD RW AD-7190A ATA Device

SMART Hard Disks Status OK

Partitions:

C: (NTFS) 178848 MB (164867 MB free)

D: (NTFS) 178848 MB (178729 MB free)

E: (NTFS) 178848 MB (178279 MB free)

F: (NTFS) 10001 MB (8387 MB free)

G: (NTFS) 168847 MB (164034 MB free)

---(c,d,e,f, & g are disk 0 )--------

K: (FAT32) 341.7 GB (341.6 GB free)*

H: -not formatted- (356.8 gb free)

---(k & h are disk 1)----------------

Total Size 698.6 GB (678.0 GB free)

Input:

Keyboard Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural PS/2 Keyboard

Mouse HID-compliant mouse

Network:

Network Adapter Realtek RTL8169/8110 Family PCI Gigabit Ethernet NIC (NDIS 6.0)

Peripherals:

Printer Fax

Printer Microsoft XPS Document Writer

USB1 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - USB Universal Host Controller [A-1]

USB2 Controller Intel 82801GB ICH7 - Enhanced USB2 Controller [A-1]

USB Device USB Human Interface Device

NSCXP2005 and Hawker: I am having the same problem. I am fairly certain it is related to the integrated graphics (GMA 950). I have tried using several kext from the Kalyway 10.5.2, but to no avail.

Geeze

Geeze,

Could you make an ISO that would contain kexts or mkexts from iATKOS10.iR2, I have no problem installing that without any trouble, Graphic, Sound & Ethernet work straight out of the box with iATKOS.

Cheers

NSCXP2005

hi i hope some one can guide me here i am a noob considering mac i have to rigs one Intel D915PCM and a ASUS Striker II Formula nVidia 780i MCP55 Chipset can i get some stepby stp guidence on how to install i read almost the entire post and tried out the generic.iso but keep getting stuck at SMBIOSEnabler : started then i get a panic and followed by a Backtrace on both my intel as well as Asus rigs . please let me know what kext i should use . thanks

hello guys,glad to know that my custom kexts are helping around, just wait until tomorrow (so i can get back in my studio) and I will post the list of kexts i'm using on that .isoi also have the shutdown kernel panic issue, i'm going to try to follow Sabr advice and search some solutions on power management kextas for the iMac appearing as computer model, i kind of like it that way B) cheers
thanks elastic your iso sure helped me fixed my sluggish computer xbench went from a below 10 points(generic.iso) to 82 points (using your iso) in disk performance however i did have to reinstall nvkush for video above 1024x768 i still have no audio restart works but shutdown kernel panic.HELP!!!!!!please help me with my onboard sound i have a GA-P35-DS3R trying for 2 days now please help this is my last real problem

Been trying to install this and it keeps rebooting before it gets to the OSX setup. I tried different ISOs and also elastic's ISO but still the same issue. If the SATA control mode in the BIOS is set to anything but IDE, it won't boot the installation DVD.

Leo4Allv3 install fine but after it finishes install OSX and reboots, it will just keep on rebooting. Could this be an issue with my video card?

It's good to know that boxer82003 who has the same board as mine managed to install it.

I even tried using SATA HD and an SATA LG DVD-ROM and no luck whatsoever.

To boxer82003: What BIOS version are you using with your P35-DS3R? I currently have F9 bios on a Rev 1.1 board.

Been trying to install this and it keeps rebooting before it gets to the OSX setup. I tried different ISOs and also elastic's ISO but still the same issue. If the SATA control mode in the BIOS is set to anything but IDE, it won't boot the installation DVD.

Leo4Allv3 install fine but after it finishes install OSX and reboots, it will just keep on rebooting. Could this be an issue with my video card?

It's good to know that boxer82003 who has the same board as mine managed to install it.

I even tried using SATA HD and an SATA LG DVD-ROM and no luck whatsoever.

To boxer82003: What BIOS version are you using with your P35-DS3R? I currently have F9 bios on a Rev 1.1 board.

my bios version is the latest f12 i belive, i just updated from f11.

i just bought a sata LG dvd rom to get past my still waiting for root device, i had a pioneer 112d ide drive that was causing this, i was able to get past this part using my external usb rom so i havent tried a full install on the LG rom but it did get to the install screen which i could not get that far before.

here is my bios settings

SATA RAID/AHCI mode = diabled

SATA Port0-3 =disabled

onboard SATA/IDE =enabled

onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode =IDE

the above settings are defaults for my board when i load optimized defaults

when i enable these settings and run Xbench i get a disk score of 76 to 78

at the default settings i get a disk score of 81 to 82

i change both USB keyboard mouse support = enabled

thats really all i have done in my bios

all sata cables in the orange ports not using purple disk score is lower for me there

hope this helps