WORKING BCM57XX DRIVER for OS X

EternalEmpty

155 posts in this topic

UPDATE : FILE ATTACHED !!! SCREENCAP ATTACHED!!!

Background

I have install the OS X iaktos v.2 on my system, everything works except , ONBOARD BCM5787 ( thanks to IATKOS team), and just a few solutions around, all just about hints and clues, so I decide to implement hardware wise and also driver wise by myself rather than go around ...

I focus on BCM5787/BCM5787M ( "14e4, 169D"), since it is one of the most buggy card for me...

after sucessful make the card working, I have use the driver to download IPHONE-SDK.dmg , / 1.25GB appx. ..resume 3 times as the server down or some sort, the max speed carry out up to 435KBS, and very stable, I hope this is a REAL hope for ALL 14E4, 169D card owners ...

UPDATE: kext and install tutorial for BCM57XX (partially) detail cards I have tested please see the list below

File name : BCM57XX.zip

contents tree:

BCM57XX

...... tutorial.txt

.......BCM57XX kext

.....AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

.....IONetworkingFamily.kext

---------------------------------

Bibliography

-----------------------------------

EXTENSION ---> refers to "/system/library/extensions/"

--------------------------------

to install :

ATTENTION : This is a tutorial base on my test case, it may not working on all the machine, please use those driver on your own risk!!!

1, For safe reason, please backup your "EXTENSION " folder before start this tutorial

2, Unzip BCM57XX.zip to your desktop , you will see the contents of the BCM57XX folder have files listed as the "content tree" above

3, COPY both "AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext" ,"IONetworkingFamily.kext" to your "EXTENSION" folder , IMPORTANT, COPY BOTH FILES to EXTENSIONs, do no open the kext file or try to modify any contents,

4, A pop up windows for Authentication will pop up, just authenticate for it , YOU MUST DO THIS !!!

5, "Ignore" any warning about the above file that has been changed, coz the system will check for file changes and will tell you something like "unable to load/use " the file.. bla bla

6, DO the list of CMD lines as I listed below, line by line, do no copy/paste, because the chance of you will screw up the whole process by copy and paste are very high, unless you know what are you doing

------------- CMD under bash ------------------

sudo -s

(your password)

cd /System/Library/Extensions/

sudo chown -R root:wheel AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

sudo chmod -R 755 AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext

cd /System/Library/

sudo rm -rf Extensions.*

diskutil repairpermissions / (<-------- if after this step you didn't see your system repairing like 10% .....20%......, please redo again, before reboot)

sudo reboot

------------END OF CMD-----------------------

CROSS YOUR FINGERS AND YOUR LEGS AND reboot, AFTER REBOOT, IF you see a windows popup says " NETWORK DEVICES DETECTED " then you can start to dance, if unfuntunately, Sorry, try again and possible PM me

the MAC will still be zeros, but you will have no problem of getting online, for those people who connect to router, please configure your NETWORK details in the card option, and for those who use PPPoE , some of those ISP need to know your MAC, I am sorry .. but you still can try , under terminal

sudo ifconfig en0 ether XX:XX:XX:XX:XX:XX

X = 0~9 , A~F

Setting up your DNS is very important, very very important, so I recommend everybody set up with DNS address by type in.

A LOT OF PEOPLE KEEP ASK if MAC 00:00:00~~~ matters or not, ANSWERS are

1, IF YOU ARE USING PPPoE by lan, some ISP require the MAC of your network card, it matters

2, IF YOU ARE USING ROUTER, most of the Router will using PASSIVE MODE to let you use the IP+ROUTER MAC as your end point address to your ISP, so you don't need to worry about MAC 00:~~~ on your network card .

BUT, manually setup your NETWORK CARD IP, DNS, ROUTER GATEWAY

if you don't know how, ask somebody who knows..

since this is not a chip maker released driver, I just expect it to work nicely for those people who need to go online, I am not trying to make it as 100%, at least, better than not working or nothing, so don't ask me to fix your MAC, because if you are using Router, you DON'T NEED IT !

FOR PEOPLE REALLY concern about the MAC 00:00 problem

I would like to suggest 3 solutions to you:

1, create a BASH script, with ifconfig enx (mac address) (command) as a file and save it as your OS X StartupItems BOTH System, Libaray folders, easy, you don't need to ifconfig every boot;

2, if you really keen to move this kext further, you might want to create a thread to get all the in/out data stream from this kext, and wrap it up, create another layer with dynamic MAC address header, and then push back to TCP/IP stacker, but look closely about the data buffer size, nothing fits all, you have to find our own way to get your buffer size for your particular model (network card), also this is one of the reason for most of people to give up doing for second model.

3, or even better, just pick up one of the openBSD/freeBSD driver, provided with your card model has already been supported, reversing engineer the driver and use Xcode to recompile it, of course, you need to know a bit about Xcode kext writing skill. a lot of book out there, just google it if you want.

Example patch http://freebsd.monkey.org/freebsd-bugs/200712/msg00241.html

And the DIFF file http://leaf.dragonflybsd.org/~sephe/bcm5906.diff4

HOW COME MY NETWORK CARD MODEL/NAME changed ?

under OS X, some model name do change, the reason (maybe) is because some OEM when they are buying chips from those chip maker, they need some extra customization in order to avoid the conflict on other devices on their motherboard, so if you see your name change under OS X , don't worry about it as long as it works

MORE ABOUT THE CONFIG ON NETWORK CARD AND ROUTER

1, Mac-Address on your card is going to be ZERO , I have said it in my tutorial

2, Unless you see "new network device detected " or you see the EN0, en1 (whichever) in your NETWORK under system prefer. has the card display as "Connected " or Green color, you can't ping your router.. (check cable too :)

3, You should let your Router RUN ON DHCP, but turn off the MAC FILTER option in it if you have any.

4. BUT MANUALLY config on your NETWORK CARD for all the details only.

ifconfig actually is no necessary, but you still can try .... if you want to

-----------*POSSIBLE* SUPPORT DEVICES----------------------

16a6 possible

166a possible

1677 TESTED

1648 TESTED

165d possible

1696 TESTED

165e very likely

169d EXTREAM LOAD TESTING PASSED, as I have modified the network card hardware settings, I don't recommend other to do so, so I will only provide a very original kext

167d very likely

This driver is actually work for few models, please also pay respect to those whom helping to make all the driver works for ALL Hackintosh,

AND when you use those drivers, please CREDIT all your "thankyou" to this whoever makes this modification and impovement easier for us, I strong recommend ALL Future OS X build include those drivers.

and you know who are you, guys ....... thanks for the source code, all CREDIT BELONGS TO YOU !!!

----------TEST SYSTEM SETTING---------------

Q6600,

INTEL 975X chip

4GB RAM

iatkos v2.0 10.5.2 /10.5.4 ( very stable for 169D under 10.5.4)

----------END OF THE REPORT--------------

ANY QUESTION, PM ME!

ALSO, read

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...500#entry807996

-----------SPECIAL THANKS TO http://forum.insanelymac.com/ ------ to help us get together and help each other

FINALLYYYYY .......... feel free to leave your suggestion and opinions. ...so that we know you have use the file and our afford is worthwhile....

ETERNAL EMPTY

TO WHOM it may concern, please pm me or email to EXPRESS your opinion, if necessary, I will remove the file...

BUT, I don't have time for those stupid ass, or try to be smart ass or those who try to be number ONE people... I am doing this for fun and for people who know how to appreciate other people's effort, if you try to be smart ass, go somewhere else, I don't have time for your bull {censored}...

If this those kext doesn't work for you, I am sorry, please understand that you didn't pay me for this, I am just doing for free...

but I would like you to try , if you like to.

*** NOTE : This driver is not for any commercial purpose, please support mac by buy a mac (when time is right )..~_~...

User feedbacks as successful detected the network card , BIG Thanks for FEEDBACKS

-----------------------------------------------------------------

1693 TESTED, BUT feedback suggested that only card detected, can't connect to internet, please take this into count when you try use this one

Member Name:

itelovek with 14e4, 1693 also see above

achille91 with 14e4, 1693 also see above

--------------------------

Working LIST

EternalEmpty with 169D

mustafa007 with unknown

post-234404-1215509471_thumb.jpg

BCM57XX.zip

• Like 1

i tested with my device id 1693,but when i restart i didn't see the popup window "new network interface ecc."

but if i go in system preferences,network, i see Ethernet(en0),i set dns,ip, but it doesn't work...

sorry for my bad english XD

i tested with my device id 1693,but when i restart i didn't see the popup window "new network interface ecc."

but if i go in system preferences,network, i see Ethernet(en0),i set dns,ip, but it doesn't work...

do you see anything like MAC: 00:00:00:00:00:00 ? on any of your Ethernet card ?

en0,en1, en2, e.g.

very likely, if you didn't see "new network interface detected " you may want to do it again .....

in fact, I have try 3 times too, even I know the driver will work for my card, but I still try 3 times ... so sad

is your network card on board or PCI/PCI-E ?

he say:ethernet id 00:00:00:00:00:00

i don't know,i think it's PCI because is a notebook...

GREAT !!!

that means your network card work too

just setup your DNS, router gateway, and IP .. you should be able to go online by then ....

have fun ...^^

thanks for feedback, one your use your Mac online ..come here and leave me a msg, thank you very much !!!!

i set ip all things but safari don't work..if i plug or unplugg the ethernet cable in network options he say:connected..

help me please

ok ... just open Terminal and

type ping (your router IP) to see if it has something or not

if you have connected/disconnect indication .. your network card working now ... the rest ..is up to you

can you screen capture your network card setting for me ? I will have a look

Hi .Did you do the instruction here and nothing else?? I canot even get y system to boot now with this....

here the screen.. leopardpw2.th.png

Hi, mate, I think there is something wrong with your ROUTER GATEWAY IP

also, another easy way is to find out the gateway IP from your WORKING windows XP netowrk property provided with connected to same router,

would it be 192.168.100.1 ??

how about the DNS? please also refer to those two pictures below...

and try to figure out yours, let me know .. thanks !!!

http://www.giuseppe-dalessio.it/come-sbloc...plus-wi-fi.html

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=21352996ip5.gif

http://img411.imageshack.us/my.php?image=60251074cf2.gif

I have the same Problem as some others here:

- Mac-Adress: zeros, changing the Mac-Adress is not possible (network down)

- No ping possible (no route)

- DNS and Gateway are correct (tested with another Mac on my LAN)

EternalEmpty: How did you configure your router? I turned off the DHCP-Server, but when I try to manually configure my router (Netgear RP614v2),

it tells me that the MAC-Adress is not correct (it doesn`t accept the zeros).

I have the same Problem as some others here:- Mac-Adress: zeros, changing the Mac-Adress is not possible (network down)- No ping possible (no route)- DNS and Gateway are correct (tested with another Mac on my LAN)EternalEmpty: How did you configure your router? I turned off the DHCP-Server, but when I try to manually configure my router (Netgear RP614v2),it tells me that the MAC-Adress is not correct (it doesn`t accept the zeros).
hi, there 1, Mac-Address on your card is going to be ZERO , I have said it in my tutorial 2, Unless you see "new network device detected " or you see the EN0, en1 (whichever) in your NETWORK under system prefer. has the card display as "Connected " or Green color , you can't ping your router 3, You should let your Router RUN ON DHCP, but turn off the MAC FILTER option in it if you have one, sorry abut it if I haven't made myself clear.4. BUT MANUALLY config on your NETWORK CARD for all the details only.keep question coming. thanks for feedback
HY!It's a very good tutorial but i have one little problem when i added the mac address.In the terminal i typed this:sudo ifconfig en0 ether my_mac_addresthe answer: ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Network is downWhat's the problem? :(
actually, I don't think you get your network card detected yet, that is why you getting NETWORK is down...maybe you want to go over the tutorial again to try one more time ?you have to repair permissions and all that as I said it in my tutorial...by any chance, you just copy all the CMD line and PASTE ??? .. hehe if you do that .. it maybe the reason ...anyway, keep question coming, and keep trying, until you get it right ....
i try but it didn't work..help me please!!!
By the screen shoot you provide, it means that your card is now working, maybe you want to try on another router ? or possible, get all the IP/ gateway detail from your Internet Services Provider ....

yo

dude you dont know how much uve helped me thanks

n thanks to the developers

My pleasure, so I spent many nights to do the research is worthwhile...

Success??

Great !!! when you have time, put on your DEVICE ID and SCREEN SHOOT on to share with us....I will be very happy ..^^

EternalEmpty: ok, once again ;)

I made a new installation of 10.5.4 with all updates by Apple on an USB-stick and only followed the steps in your tutorial. No other changes to the system.

OS X recognized the network-card ( 14e4/1693), told me that it was connected. Then I filled in all infos (DNS,router,netmask,ip). Doublechecked, no failures.

On the Ethernet-tab the ID is as it should be: zeros, config: manual, speed: "empty" (when I try to set it to 100baseTX, OS X sets it back to "empty"), duplex: half (will always be set back to "half" if I change it).

The router is configured as you told me: DHCP on, no Mac-filter.

Then I tried another router (DLink Di-524), both DHCP and manual configuration, but with no success.

My resumee: OS X tells me that "Ethernet(en1) is connected to LAN, no "pinging" to the router possible, no connection to the internet... :wacko:

My computer: Acer Extensa 5220 with BCM5787M 14e4/1693

Thanks for your patience...

EternalEmpty: ok, once again ;) I made a new installation of 10.5.4 with all updates by Apple on an USB-stick and only followed the steps in your tutorial. No other changes to the system.OS X recognized the network-card ( 14e4/1693), told me that it was connected. Then I filled in all infos (DNS,router,netmask,ip). Doublechecked, no failures.On the Ethernet-tab the ID is as it should be: zeros, config: manual, speed: "empty" (when I try to set it to 100baseTX, OS X sets it back to "empty"), duplex: half (will always be set back to "half" if I change it).The router is configured as you told me: DHCP on, no Mac-filter.Then I tried another router (DLink Di-524), both DHCP and manual configuration, but with no success.My resumee: OS X tells me that "Ethernet(en1) is connected to LAN, no "pinging" to the router possible, no connection to the internet... :) My computer: Acer Extensa 5220 with BCM5787M 14e4/1693Thanks for your patience...

Hi, ApiThanks for your feedback, I have receive two feedback about the problem in regard with 1693 already ... I am working on it, to see how and why the data didn't go though ....I am sorry if there is something that is shouldn't be happening ..but happens to you ..do you mind to run the "system profile" tools and "network " and capture the screen for me here ? (common+shift+4) correct me if I am wrong ...

I want to investigate into this particular model more , 1693 .. so ..if you can ..please post it up

Update: can do go to your terminal do command line as below , and then while your lan cable is connected, do switch off/ restart your HUB, or router ... for HUB better chance to see the data going ..because it is just operating on hardware level, so as long as the computer sent out request, it will start to push back to router ...

so .. just do

sudo

ifconfig en0 ether 00:01:02:AA:BB

exit

and do switch on/off your router and hub ... to let the hub/router to know there is new signal on the network ... please just try ..

I know it is tricky ..but ya ...this card is been tricky enough for us ..

The possible problem, I think the hardware loop back work/replace the normal operational channel ... (default =loop back)

Hi .Did you do the instruction here and nothing else?? I canot even get y system to boot now with this....

what system are you running ? I only tested on 10.5.2 .... can't you even use the safe mode to remove it ? ??my apology for any inconvenience....

Hi, ApiThanks for your feedback, I have receive two feedback about the problem in regard with 1693 already ... I am working on it, to see how and why the data didn't go though ....I am sorry if there is something that is shouldn't be happening ..but happens to you ..do you mind to run the "system profile" tools and "network " and capture the screen for me here ? (common+shift+4) correct me if I am wrong ...

I want to investigate into this particular model more , 1693 .. so ..if you can ..please post it up

Update: can do go to your terminal do command line as below , and then while your lan cable is connected, do switch off/ restart your HUB, or router ... for HUB better chance to see the data going ..because it is just operating on hardware level, so as long as the computer sent out request, it will start to push back to router ...

so .. just do

sudo

ifconfig en0 ether 00:01:02:AA:BB

exit

and do switch on/off your router and hub ... to let the hub/router to know there is new signal on the network ... please just try ..

I know it is tricky ..but ya ...this card is been tricky enough for us ..

The possible problem, I think the hardware loop back work/replace the normal operational channel ... (default =loop back)

what system are you running ? I only tested on 10.5.2 .... can't you even use the safe mode to remove it ? ??my apology for any inconvenience....

Just FYI my network topo is the following: CableDSL---Router(Netgear RP614v2)---8-Port Switch(Netgear FS108)---Acer 5220

The command "sudo ifconfig en1 ether 00:01:02:AA:BB:CC" gives the following reply: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): Network is down

(en1 is Ethernet in my case)

At last, I turned off router/switch, but no difference.

Hi guys

I have the same problem with the card. type: pci-e, 14e4 1693, this is an Acer 5720 laptop.

I attached my log file maybe it is help for you solving the problem: Your_kext.zip

And I tried another AppleBCM5751Ethernet.kext and with this the network is worked for few second but after that the system is frozen. this kext is downloaded from the other 57xx topic. here is the log: anotherkext.zip

sorry for my english ;)