gma 950 fix for 10.5.4

lancep93

15 posts in this topic

Yes, you can now have full choice of your resolution in Mac OS 10.5.4 with an intel gma 950, all you have to do is copy the kexts from the kalyway 10.5.1 dvd (all of the gma 950 + intel integrated frame buffer) to your 10.5.4 machine and delete all of the gma 950 + intel integrated frame buffer kexts from your extensions folder, then use kext helper to reinstall the 10.5.1 kexts then reboot and enjoy!

*The only drawback is that the menu bar's drop down boxes DO NOT work, it just displays some of the background, but any mac user can guess which one is which though!*

Yes, you can now have full choice of your resolution in Mac OS 10.5.4 with an intel gma 950, all you have to do is copy the kexts from the kalyway 10.5.1 dvd (all of the gma 950 + intel integrated frame buffer) to your 10.5.4 machine and delete all of the gma 950 + intel integrated frame buffer kexts from your extensions folder, then use kext helper to reinstall the 10.5.1 kexts then reboot and enjoy!

*The only drawback is that the menu bar's drop down boxes DO NOT work, it just displays some of the background, but any mac user can guess which one is which though!*

this is the same procedure that was used to save any upgrade .2 .3 .4 since .1, but it's very system dependent.

this may work for you, it doesn't mean it will work for others. It would be great if you posted your system specs. I am using stock kexts on my E1505/6400 Inspiron and I have no problems with mouse artifacts, which used to be a standard for Dell users with gma950. If I followed your instructions I would break that and get mouse artifacts/tearing back. You may want to include a suggestion whether this is meant for desktops or laptops.

oh, my bad, i have an ecs 945gct-m with a gma 950 onboard for video, and i myself gave up on the fix, i couldn't stand the hollow drop down menus anymore, so i'm just gonna deal with 1024x768 until i find something to get it to work flawlessly.

Same thing with me. I have a Asus P5GC-MX 1333 with onboard 950GMA. When I had 10.5.2, it was working fine.

I guess I'll go back to 10.5.2 or get a PCI-E video card. :(

Edit: Front Row does not work with GMA950 and 10.5.4 as well.

I was using the '10.5 flat image' with GMA 950 (laptop) and it worked very well, however I needed to upgrade to 10.5.4 for iphone sdk. Now the menu bar drop down is as described here!

Does anyone know what causes this, and if there is a solution?

so i'm just gonna deal with 1024x768 until i find something to get it to work flawlessly.

did you try and edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file.

i added this to mine

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280×1024×32</string>

replace the resolution which whatever suits you..

type this in terminal

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

it works

• 4 weeks later...
did you try and edit the com.apple.Boot.plist file.

i added this to mine

<key>Graphics Mode</key>
<string>1280×1024×32</string>

replace the resolution which whatever suits you..

type this in terminal

sudo nano /Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

it works

it seems like 1280x1024 is the max resolution i can get with this method. my monitor's native res is 1680x1050. have you tried anything higher than 1280x1024?

I used the widely downloaded fix for Intel GMA 950...this is with Natit.kext. This worked with my system using kexthelper. I just experimented on this and it's a success. Now, my Hackintosh is running at 1440x900x32@75hz in 10.5.4, and can change screen resolution. This is working with QE and CI, and without mouse tearing...I have the zip files but I'm searching for the thread where I found it last night to share with you guys...(=

AtoMhACk2.jpg

he's using a laptop i suppose. look at the processor clock and amount and speed of his ram. but still, would be happy to give it a try.

BTW, heres a link to other thread about gma950:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...mp;#entry875396

Edit:

sorry, it seems that is a Desktop, cos hp w17e is actually a desktop hp lcd screen

Well, you just have to remove the AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle from system/library/extensions and reboot. You'll miss the openGL driver but at least the menu bars' boxes will be readable.

• 3 weeks later...

I did try nuking the 10.5.4 GMA950 + Integrated Frame buffer kexts and replacing them with 10.5.1 vanilla ones.

No joy in being able to change resolutions. I did have to remove the GL kext to get rid of the drop down menu issue as well.

I used the widely downloaded fix for Intel GMA 950...this is with Natit.kext.

<snip>

I have the zip files but I'm searching for the thread where I found it last night to share with you guys...(=

There are more than a few gma natit kexts floating around in a couple of gma related threads.

I can guess it came from somewhere in this thread:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=70282

Paulicat started providing them starting at post #16

Later on in the thread there are a couple of desktop versions that were being tested.

Couldn't get my 2772 to work with them.

The other common "trick" is to use a 10.4.8 (could be 10.5.0 as the same kext is being listed for both) AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext.

This will get you you resolution switching options, but adds some major instability to my boards with storage.

Gigabyte 945GCM S2C and ASUS P5GC MX 1333.

More than happy to try your natit if you could zip it up and post it?

• 2 months later...