iphone 3G without contract

SpeedfreaK

43 posts in this topic

hello

will it be possible to buy an iphone 3G without signing a contract? because i've read on some websites that with the iphone 3g, you will be forced to sign the contract in the store where you buy it. is that true or not?

From what I gather, at some point (not necessarily Friday) you will be able to buy a phone and walk out of the store without activating it, but they will have some measure in place to ensure that you do activate it within 30 days or receive a penalty. This probably means that they'll keep your CC on file and charge you the extra $400 in 30 days if you don't activate it or return it. If you want to try this Friday, I'd recommend going to an Apple store; the lines will be longer, but AT&T seems more likely to put the pressure on you to sign or simply say that non-signing customers have to wait a week or some such. EDIT: Either way, it'll probably be a waste of your time.

FYI and YMMV: those ATT customers who aren't currently eligible for the $199/$299 prices can activate any iPhone on their account by Thursday and become eligible. I'm only 8 months into a family plan and formerly ineligible, but I borrowed an iPhone and activated it on two of my lines and returned it to the original owner. His line and both of mine all come up as "upgrade eligible" in the ATT system. The CSRs I've spoken to have said that this should be fine, but I'm still anxious to see what happens.

From what I gather, at some point (not necessarily Friday) you will be able to buy a phone and walk out of the store without activating it, but they will have some measure in place to ensure that you do activate it within 30 days or receive a penalty. This probably means that they'll keep your CC on file and charge you the extra $400 in 30 days if you don't activate it or return it. If you want to try this Friday, I'd recommend going to an Apple store; the lines will be longer, but AT&T seems more likely to put the pressure on you to sign or simply say that non-signing customers have to wait a week or some such. EDIT: Either way, it'll probably be a waste of your time.FYI and YMMV: those ATT customers who aren't currently eligible for the $199/$299 prices can activate any iPhone on their account by Thursday and become eligible. I'm only 8 months into a family plan and formerly ineligible, but I borrowed an iPhone and activated it on two of my lines and returned it to the original owner. His line and both of mine all come up as "upgrade eligible" in the ATT system. The CSRs I've spoken to have said that this should be fine, but I'm still anxious to see what happens.
Bottom Line: you will be able to do that if you pay the unsubsidized price of $599/$699 for the phone, otherwise, you WILL BE required to sign a contract.
I don't know about the apple store, but AT & T stores will be selling a no-contract option (to who, I don't know)
Apple Stores will have trained AT&T staff there to setup contracts.
and if you buy the iphone from the apple online store? how does that work?
You can't buy from the online store.

In Belgium all iphones will be unlocked as it is required by law... but the price is rather stiff. Apparently here in Norway you can buy a locked one and break the contract on the same date and by law are required to unlock the phone and they cant force you to return it. The total sum (including fee for cancelling the contract) is cheaper than buying it in belgium, but i think there will be waiting and hassle involved...

Cheapest place to get one without a contract is in Switzerland

Been searching all day for some cheap way for me to obtain a 3G iPhone and have come to the conclusion that the absolute cheapest way possible is to purchase one without a contract in Switzerland.

16Gb version:

619 CHF = 3622 SEK = 600 USD = 305 GBP = 631 AUD

8Gb version:

519 CHF = 3032 SEK = 503 USD = 256 GBP = 529 AUD

However travelling there would add the cost up a bit.... :)

I am very interested to get an Iphone bought in Swiss land.I Live in Italy so just searcing somenone kind to ship it :-)

Just a question : I have read that swisscom is selling the simlocked one only..is it right?

In case , I need to unlock it with jalbreak for using my sim?

Thanks