Restoring Files from Apple TV

Steve B.

6 posts in this topic

I need help restoring our family photos from the Apple TV. The hard drive on our Mac crashed and we did not have a backup of our photos. (The Apple store installed a new hard drive but could not recover the old files from the ruined hard drive.) We were devastated, until we remembered that the photos are on our Apple TV, which was linked to the Mac via a hard wire plugged into the back of the Apple TV. I have now unplugged the wire from the Apple TV and have not linked it to the Mac with the new hard drive.

How do I get the photos from the Apple TV back onto the Mac?

Thank you for reading this.

Sincerely,

Steve B.

• 2 weeks later...

There are 2 ways

1) Either disassemble your aTV , take the hd out and copy the files using an interface card (complicated and voids your guarantee) or

2) Patch your aTV, so you can remotely log into the box. Much easier and works perfectly.

PM me for more info.

Thanks. I will PM you. I couldn't figure out how to do the second method you mentioned, so I ended up opening the box, removing the hard drive and copying an image of the AppleTV hard drive onto my computer. It was messy, but it did work. I put the AppleTV back together, and everything works! I am so glad we had a copy of our family photos on the AppleTV! We back up EVERYTHING now...

• 3 months later...
There are 2 ways

1) Either disassemble your aTV , take the hd out and copy the files using an interface card (complicated and voids your guarantee) or

2) Patch your aTV, so you can remotely log into the box. Much easier and works perfectly.

PM me for more info.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

I have the same problem and am trying to restore media from my Apple TV to my Mac. I've applied an SSH patch, and am able to view the AppleTV's contents using SFTP.

It seems that the media files are at /mnt/Media/Media Files, but are stored in cryptic sub-folders (i.e. F00 to F99) and the file names are all scrambled with random 4-letter names.

Is there some way to decipher the files so I can find the media files I'm looking for on the AppleTV?

Many thanks in advance,

Tim

• 4 months later...

I have experienced the same exact problem as Steve B. In my case I was using Time Machine to back up, but strangely everything was backed up except for my iPhoto Library (no folders were set to be excluded either). Anyway I still have the files on my appletv. Can someone give me instructions on what to do. I am fine with either method here but would like a little more detail before proceeding.