KDE 4.1 Beta 2: Two Steps Forward, One Step Back

Alessandro17

29 posts in this topic

but doing most work in the CLI is not my idea of how to use a computer :)

Taking my hands off the keyboard to grab a mouse and break a 130 wpm stride is not my idea of how to use a computer... and I don't do most work in a cli. It's just that repetitive tasks are best handled with keyboard shortcuts or automated scripts. Why would I want to move through clunky gui menus and file managers to do something simply like launching an app or moving/organizing files when I can do the same thing in a small fraction of the time with quick keystrokes while my files are managed automatically for me. Gui is great for doing what it was designed to do... manage large numbers of application windows in an efficient manner. The mouse is really only good for making things easy on casual computer users who can't type worth a sh*t.

vaporATX: I'm guessing you don't like OS X much then, huh ? ;)

Other then that, I don't know whether to agree of disagree with you. Personally I can't seem to remember the seemingly arbitrary switches that console applications use. And I always seem to forget the majority of the key-combo's in VI (and I actually find that VI gets more in my way than your average text editor like Gedit, Scribes, Kate or Kedit).

Anyway, that said. I'll have to say that yea, one of the beauties of Linux in particular is the ability to automate tasks via cronjobs, init scripts and what have you. That's primarily why I love apps which does implement a cli interface for every aspect of it's function where it makes sense to do so.

vaporATX: I'm guessing you don't like OS X much then, huh ? :o

Why do you say that? It's my primary OS. You do realize that pretty much anything you can do in Linux you can do in OS X, right? Add Quicksilver and you never have to take you hands off the keyboard.

vi? You're joking, right? Only people who use vi are ancient unix geeks who can't be bothered to learn new tricks and linux fanboys who think they're 133t and cool because they torture themselves with that archaic {censored}. I use Bluefish on both OS X and Linux. If I'm building a system up from scratch and can only work in the console I use joe.