Leopard on a dell studio 15 and 17

pifou

489 posts in this topic

Hi I've been reading this thread although I haven't managed to read it through fully yet. I was wondering about a few things so I would be very pleased if I could have some help with a few things. I have never used mac os and wanted to try it out. My laptop specs are below

Studio 1735

T8300 Core2Duo CPU

3GB 667 DDR2 ram

3650 ATI Mobility

1510 Wireless

Bluetooth 370

Backlit keyboard

I wanted to know if the OS X leopard can use both cores I'm thinking of installing the iAtkos v5, is this the best version to install and will it use both cores??

Also I think people have got wireless to work on the dell 1510 n card by installing updates can someone confirm this please?

Where can I find the driver for the graphics card?? I looked on one of the links here but there are a few drivers for the 3650 and I'm not sure which one I need for the mobility one.

Can installing this OS damage my hardware?? and what kind of temperatures does it run at ie does the fan work properly??

Also I keep reading about .kexts what are these??

Finally, is installing this filled with bugs or is it stable, do people recommend it??

Sorry about the long post but I'm new to all this and it sounds quite interesting so I would like to learn more.

Okay all you Dell Studio owners I have created a post installer that includes drivers for the following

1. Power management

2. IDT Audio

3. Dell 1510-N Wifi

4. Dell Studio Ethernet

5. SD Card Reader

6. I8KFan control

I am working on adding the 2 finger scroll and the Dell 1397 wifi to this installer. Please let me know of anything else that you might find useful.

Click Here

This link does not seem to work. Can anyone tell me where to get this from please.

Also can someone tell me which options to select when installing it as I have vista installed on primary partition want to dual boot with MacOS X on second partition. Thank you all for taking the time to read my long post and for your help.

I''l try to help, since so many people helped when I was in your position

First, read the whole thread, and a couple more, especially http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=133702. It should give you all the basics you need to know before installing Leopard on your Studio

First:

I wanted to know if the OS X leopard can use both cores I'm thinking of installing the iAtkos v5, is this the best version to install and will it use both cores??

Also I think people have got wireless to work on the dell 1510 n card by installing updates can someone confirm this please?

Yes, both cores should work perfectly. I tryed iAtkos and iDeneb, and never had a problem.

Dell 1510 wireless card also works.

Where can I find the driver for the graphics card?? I looked on one of the links here but there are a few drivers for the 3650 and I'm not sure which one I need for the mobility one.

There's no driver that works right now. So your Studio will work in VESA mode, and the CPU will take care of the graphics. Just like having no VGA at all.

Can installing this OS damage my hardware?? and what kind of temperatures does it run at ie does the fan work properly??

No, it can't. The fan works, you can adjust the speed with something like the "I8KFan". The only problem is sleep, because of the VESA mode, the screen doesn't turns off, so the cpu keeps on working, and so does the fan.

Also I keep reading about .kexts what are these??

Finally, is installing this filled with bugs or is it stable, do people recommend it??

Kext are Loadable Kernel Modules, (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kext). For a Windows user, kext are a lot like drivers.

Leopard in a Studio is totally stable, not buggy at all. You can work on it without fears.

Sorry about the long post but I'm new to all this and it sounds quite interesting so I would like to learn more.

This link does not seem to work. Can anyone tell me where to get this from please.

Also can someone tell me which options to select when installing it as I have vista installed on primary partition want to dual boot with MacOS X on second partition. Thank you all for taking the time to read my long post and for your help.

For the post-installer, you'll need Ridgeline to upload it again.

About the installation, you can see what options to select in the Leo4AllV3 Dell Studio thread (linked before).

To dual boot, you'll need first to make a new partition with Vista, and format it later in the Leopard installation to HFS+.

If you can understand a little french, you have Boombeng's guide to dualboot: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...284#entry967284

Hope it helps.

Okay all you Dell Studio owners I have created a post installer that includes drivers for the following

1. Power management

2. IDT Audio

3. Dell 1510-N Wifi

4. Dell Studio Ethernet

5. SD Card Reader

6. I8KFan control

I am working on adding the 2 finger scroll and the Dell 1397 wifi to this installer. Please let me know of anything else that you might find useful.

Click Here

Hello Ridgeline,

The link to your dell Studio 17 is broken. Please repost. Thank you.

I installed Leopard succesfully with vista in a dual boot configuration and I would like to thank eveyone on this site for their help.

However I can't get the ethernet to work, I used ridgelines installer version 3. The card seems to be recognised and gives it an ip address and stuff but when I open safari it doesn't work. I don't know that much about how to make the internet work and ip addresses etc so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was also wondering if there was any working bluetooth drivers and the status on the mobility 3650 HD driver.

ok, so i just got the dell studio 15 last week and just got everything setup the way i want it with dual boot vista 64 and 10.5. i used kalyway 10.5.2 disk with the 10.5.3 updater from kalyway. installed pc-efi v9 downloaded from osx86 island. now i would really love to run the apple updater and receive apple updates like a real mac with no problems.

what/if anything am i missing before i run the updater and brick my system (again)?

i understand i'll have to reinstall lan, wifi, and sound which is no big deal.

cro to do your update go to ######.com and download the gui dsdt patcher and the Uninstaller run both and then install your update from Apple to 10.5.6 or you could just go the easier route and download a newer release like iDeneb 10.5.6 or XxX 10.5.6 Both are great releases. if you decided to run the update on your current system track me down in the Irc chat server is irc.osx86.hu Channel is #DellStudio. It is much easier than using pm.

I installed Leopard succesfully with vista in a dual boot configuration and I would like to thank eveyone on this site for their help.

However I can't get the ethernet to work, I used ridgelines installer version 3. The card seems to be recognised and gives it an ip address and stuff but when I open safari it doesn't work. I don't know that much about how to make the internet work and ip addresses etc so any help would be greatly appreciated.

I was also wondering if there was any working bluetooth drivers and the status on the mobility 3650 HD driver.

Okay I hav never had the iK8 fan issue you speak of repairing permissions may help that.

As far as you ethernet goes did you have your wifi installed first before you installed the ethernet package?

Upon reboot it will say you need to fix the startupitems folder did you clic fix and reboot? if no to any of these I can help.

just let me know

Ok the ik8fan issue is only when I open the actual program so I'll just leave that closed. Does it save the settings when you close the program??

I did do all of that already I don't know if its a problem with the driver or what. It says connected on the information and says using DHCP, it has an IP address and a subnet mask address thing but the other two fields are blank. I used the diagnostic thing and the ethernet thing has a green circle. The network settings have an orange circle next to it and the rest have red circles next to them and say failed (IsP, internet, and server).

I was just looking in the network settings and it the status says conected but underneath says ethernet adaptor (en0) has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect.

My vendor ID is 14E4 and my device id is 1698 for the card and I think it may have something to do with that. The internet does not work. Any help would be appreciated.

Ok the ik8fan issue is only when I open the actual program so I'll just leave that closed. Does it save the settings when you close the program??

I did do all of that already I don't know if its a problem with the driver or what. It says connected on the information and says using DHCP, it has an IP address and a subnet mask address thing but the other two fields are blank. I used the diagnostic thing and the ethernet thing has a green circle. The network settings have an orange circle next to it and the rest have red circles next to them and say failed (IsP, internet, and server).

I was just looking in the network settings and it the status says conected but underneath says ethernet adaptor (en0) has a self-assigned IP address and may not be able to connect.

My vendor ID is 14E4 and my device id is 1698 for the card and I think it may have something to do with that. The internet does not work. Any help would be appreciated.

okay that is where your problem lies I had the installer written so that you should have had the wireless install first then come back to install the ethernet. I can help though.

got to Library/StartupItems/Start_Promisc

after you get there drag the Start_Promisc program to your desktop as you will not be able to fix it where it is.

Then open with text edit. replace the en1 with en0 it should be right near the top.

Save and close. then drag and drop this file back to the Start_Promisc folder you pulled it from.

Authenitcate. type your password.

Open Terminal and copy and paste the following lines

sudo chown -R 0:0 /library/startupitems/Start_promisc

sudo chmod -R 755 /library/startupitems/Start_promisc

This should take care of your problem and will require a reboot

I have the same problem as well, on windows and the mac. It makes the touch pad very stuttery, and all audio is cackly, have even tried to reinstall windows to solve this, no luck thou.

okay that is where your problem lies I had the installer written so that you should have had the wireless install first then come back to install the ethernet. I can help though.

got to Library/StartupItems/Start_Promisc

after you get there drag the Start_Promisc program to your desktop as you will not be able to fix it where it is.

Then open with text edit. replace the en1 with en0 it should be right near the top.

Save and close. then drag and drop this file back to the Start_Promisc folder you pulled it from.

Authenitcate. type your password.

Open Terminal and copy and paste the following lines

sudo chown -R 0:0 /library/startupitems/Start_promisc

sudo chmod -R 755 /library/startupitems/Start_promisc

This should take care of your problem and will require a reboot

Thanks this helped me.

Now only the graphics card left. Also does anyone find that the mouse is really fast when you first switch on for a minute or so and then goes really slow??(on the mousepad) I'm using the 2 finger scrolling driver btw.

Need Help Here.... Urgent ~

Thx to Topic Master post the installer ,

all other driver fix

only left my

GRAPHIC

BLUETOOTH

and also 2 finger scrolling

When i open terminal then failed to type password...

is that anyone here could guide me on how to do it , please ?

now i have to use a external keyboard and mouse....

Thx in advance for reply =)

Hey Guys

Just ordered a Dell Studio 15 (1555 Model) with the following configuration

1. 500GB SATA Hard Drive
  2. Dell Backlit Keyboard with Touchpad (English)
  3. 8GB (2x4GB) 800 MHz DDR2 SDRAM
  4. Intel® Core 2 Duo Processor T9800 (2.93GHz/ 1066 FSB/ 6MB Cache)
  5. Dell Wireless 370 Bluetooth Module
  6. 15.6 " 720p WLED (1366x768) Display with TrueLife and Built-in 2.0MP Web Cam
  7. Integrated 2.0 Mega Pixel Web Cam
  8. Integrated Fast Ethernet 10/100/1000
  9. 34mm ExpressCard Slot, (DOES NOT SUPPORT PC CARDS)
  10. 512MB ATI Mobility Radeon HD 4570
  11. Intel® WiFi Link 5300 (802.11a/g/n) Half Mini-card
  12. Slot Load Fixed Blu-ray BD-ROM / DVD + /-RW Combo Drive

Which ISO will be best recommended for this ?? Currently was using XxX ISO on my HP DV6000 and works fine.. So wondering as I am entering the Dell world, whats recommended for my machine. Hope I did not miss out any other hardware details.

hello,

i have a studio 1737 and i am very close to a completely perfect install.. can anyone help me with my graphics card which is the ATI radeon mobility 3650 HD... i have looked at the main thread for this and i downloaded the file yet it kept crashing my kernel so that wasn't working...

can anyone help me with fixing my sleep because when i press sleep, the computer just feezes.. aswell i cannot shutdown because it appears with a kernel panic.. the panic says due to applehda.kext which i had to add a new one to fix my audio.

if anyone can help i would be so grateful to fix any one of these problems...

i am running ideneb 10.5.6 using kernel voodoo. please help

here is the driver i need :- for my studio 1535

Graphic ATI Mobility HD 3450- i use Mac as primary OS now and purpose for graphic , if needed i would like to pay a cup of coffee for developer =)

Bluetooth - I using dell bluetooth mouse , no bluetooth , my mouse like only available for display =} ....

Media Keys - Simply for convenience =)

CIR Receiver - Just play play , haha...

Finger Print reader - for secure and easier my data

2 Finger Scrolling - For make my studio look special =)

i need them emergency , who would like to help me ??

Thx in advance for reply =)

both of you, read the thread and you will find there's no working graphic driver right now. There's some people trying to work on that, go to http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...9872&st=325

bluetooth, I don't have it, but I think there's no driver for this one neither

Media Keys, just use Butler to map the keys to the wanted functions

Finger Print, it's supossed to work OOB, but there's no app to use it

2 finger, ask ridge for the lastest on this one, he was working on adding a 10.5.6 version to his installer

Hi All,

I am attempting install Leopard on my laptop and I am having some difficulties.

I have tried a number of different distributions:

iDeneb 1.4 (10.5.6)

iATKOS v5i 10.5.5

iPC 10.5.6

Leo4all v3 10.5.2 (unpatched)

Leo4all v3 10.5.3 (JaS patched)

Details of my hardware:

Dell Studio 1737

Proc: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.0 Ghz, 800 Mhz FSB,1 MB Cache (T4200)

Video: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3650 (256 MB)

Chipset: Intel Cantiga GM45 + ICH9M

Audio: IDT 92HD73C

Network: Broadcom BCM57xx

Wireless: Intel WiFi Link 5100

Memory: 4 GB (2x 2GB DDR2 800 Mhz)

Harddisk: Hitachi 250 GB 5200 RPM Sata drive (AHCI enabled).

After a few issues and a bit of fiddling with the boot options of the DVD from various distribitions I have been able to to get into the installer bit and install Leopard to a harddisk.

After successfully completing the install bit I am unable to boot Leopard.

I've attempted to load the kernel with a number of options: cpus=1, -x, -f, -F or a compbination of these options and always with the -v option.

Most of the time starting Leopard fails or hangs, occassionall while or after loading an ACPI component or hanging while waiting for the root device.

I've managed once (i believe that that was using iATKOS) to boot the system however it came back then with the message that no keyboard was connected asking me to connect one (I don't have a USB keyboard available at the moment).

Can anyone who has been able to install Leopard on a Dell Studio 1737 succesfully give me some pointers on how to get a working installation?

1. What distro works the best and also support my videocard?

2. Which kernel should I use, vanilla, voodoo, netkas, modbin, etc.?

3. What fixes and patches should I install?

4. Do I need to install the AppleSMBIOS Patch and if so which patch should I install?

My first objective is to get a working installation of Leopard on my studio.

Once I have a working base system installed with working graphics card I can then work on getting the rest of the hardware working later.

PS: I've noticed that the iPC distro has drivers incorporated for the ATI Radeon HD 3650 (PCIe and AGP) video cards but I haven't been able to get this distro to boot post install.

Any help would be very much appreciated.

1. What distro works the best and also support my videocard?

2. Which kernel should I use, vanilla, voodoo, netkas, modbin, etc.?

3. What fixes and patches should I install?

4. Do I need to install the AppleSMBIOS Patch and if so which patch should I install?

Should work well with iATKOS v5 if you choose :

- Bootloader: PC_EFI V9

- Decrypters: AppleDecrypt

- SMBIOS: SMBiosResolver

- Kernel: Don't choose nothing, default one is Vanillia 9.5

- ACPI: x86 ACPI

- Disabler

- System/SATA IDE: Intel AHCI SATA

Your radeon HD3650M and 5100 network card won't work and No sleep