Dell e520 Boot-132 Retail Install guide

28 posts in this topic

Hello everyone. I decided to make tutorial for all those e520 users out there. "vmarsh" has a guide out there on inanelymac.com too which takes advantage of the Raid On setting in the BIOS. Mine will be using ATA as it seems to be the only way to get it working on my computer at least. Basically, if you want retail, you're in the right place. If you want to boot with a distro, go check out "vmarsh's" guide.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

On to the guide...

Part 1:

If you already installed, skip to part 2.

1. Download this DMG image from here http://www.mediafire.com/?j1dxjoi91lv. It can be burned with Poweriso or another burner which supports DMG.

2. Once burned, reboot. Press F2 when you see the dell screen. You will enter the BIOS. Go check your Sata settings and make sure its on Auto detect/ATA.

3. Boot from the CD/DVD by pressing F12 or changing your boot order in the BIOS. When it tells you to enter the number of the DVD drive, insert the leopard disc and type the correct number. (Usually the number in brackets)

4. If all goes well, you'll boot up. (If all does not go well, boot with -f -v and then make sure your SATA Setting in the bios is on Auto Detect) Enter disk utility and format the partition as HFS+, also known as Mac OS Extended, Journaled. (You're using a GPT partition table right??)

5. Once you format/configure your disks, exit disc utility and continue the install. Select the Printer drivers you want/need and if you want X11 or extra fonts/languages or whatever other {censored} they offer.

6. Anyways, the install finishes. Your computer reboots. Once you reboot, boot into the Boot-132 CD/DVD again like you did in step 3, except this time, type the number of your hard drive which has the OS X partition on it. (Usually 80, 81 or 82)

7. Once the darwin boot loader loads, type -v. If you get stuck in the setup loop, type -v "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" (I have noticed that the setup loop is fixed on 10.5.6. I cannot speak for any other version.)

8. Go onto step 2.

Part 2:

This will allow you to keep your main boot partition vanilla/retail by avoiding putting hacked drivers on it. We do this by running a script which keeps these files along with a modified boot loader on a separate partition.

1. Download this ZIP file from here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?fztmnzzhnim and unzip the ORANGE files and folders to your home folder. DELETE THE DSDT.AML FILE!

2. Open a terminal window.

3, Type "sudo -s"

4. Enter your password, then drag Make-EFI-Boot-Now-v3.sh into the terminal window. Press ENTER.

5. Let the script run, following the on screen instructions. Once this finishes, download this audio driver (and optional, time machine/UUID error 35 fix) http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?ydmj4y5nite and this app http://code.google.com/p/osx86tools/

6. Open osx86 tools and select "Add EFI Strings/Boot Flag"

7. Click GFX Strings at the top

8. Select your card from the drop down list. Copy the string of text that appeared in the lower text box of the window. Open up the orange plist folder and edit com.apple.Boot.plist with text edit. Replace the words "GRAPHICS STRING HERE" with your string buy pasting it in.

9. If it asks you to restart, ignore it. Now unzip the AppleHDA.kext file. In osx86 tools, click Install kexts. Select the AppleHDA.kext (and optional IONetworkingFamily.kext) and follow the instructions, when asked to reboot, do so. Click ok if it tells you boot caches will be updated.

any pictures attached with This guide ???????

not to be a jerk :D but does it really need pictures? you just burn the DMG and boot from it. if you try it and follow the guide as you do it you'll understand it perfectly. if your just reading it it probably doesn't make any sense. try it and tell me how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey I get verification failed of image everytime I download it, and when I try to mount it fails also... Is there something you guys are using that I am not? I even tried to burn it using disk utility and it gave me an invalid checksum error...

Any thoughts?

sum1 else comfirm that the DVD image works. i just selected make DMG out of the re writable DVD that i used. do i need to re-dump and re upload the disk? just tell me :D also, i didnt get nic cuz i use a serperate belkin USB wirless. the nic might work out of the box with the attatched DMG but if it doenst kexts r easy to install/find

So you know I dl'ed e520.iso on July 16 MD5:1ddc230fba0534ce7e49b7917c33ab07 and it worked perfectly!

After following your guide my e520 is now running:

10.5.4 (Combo-update from retail DVD)

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" in com.apple.Boot.plist

Taruga´s HDAPatcher 1.20 with STAC9227_83847618.txt

PCI Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+ (82559) with IOPCIMatch 0x244e8086 added in AppleIntel8255x.kext as onboard NIC 82562V won't seem to work with ICH8.

Once again: Thanks alot!

So you know I dl'ed e520.iso on July 16 MD5:1ddc230fba0534ce7e49b7917c33ab07 and it worked perfectly!

After following your guide my e520 is now running:

10.5.4 (Combo-update from retail DVD)

"Graphics Mode"="1280x1024x32" in com.apple.Boot.plist

Taruga´s HDAPatcher 1.20 with STAC9227_83847618.txt

PCI Intel EtherExpress PRO/100+ (82559) with IOPCIMatch 0x244e8086 added in AppleIntel8255x.kext as onboard NIC 82562V won't seem to work with ICH8.

Once again: Thanks alot!

and just to let u guys know, i included that absolute minimum kexts. so u dont have all the junk ones that u dont need like when u install kalyway and stuff. the kexts included are the absolute bare minimum for the DVD to boot. i included audio kexts but it didnt recognize them or install them but some ppl have upgraded sound cards anyways. also, no graphic drivers cuz i updated to an 8800 GT so I use EFI strings. but im glad it worked. just so u know, anyone can walk away knowing that they have a perfect vanilla system with no unecesary kexts ;) doesnt get any better.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I am getting stuck between steps 4 and 5.

I have a e520 with a partitioned hard drive (xp on the first partition, second is empty).

- computer is booting from the cd, darwin starts

- I insert the leopard dvd

- I type in -v and press enter; enter my hex code "82"

- darwin starts to boot the dvd

- the apple start up/installer screen comes up and stays there, dvd is not spinning, nor is the hard drive working. The longest I let it sit there was about 1.5 hours (I've read it takes 15 minutes).

Is it possible I have a bios setting off? Am I missing a boot file or a step? Is it just having problems booting from a dvd drive?

Any advice and help would be great!!

I found this on a ubuntu forum: https://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-ke...2007/5/23/94873

Think it's related?

Subject: [PATCH] Work around Dell E520 BIOS reboot bug.

Force Dell E520 to use the BIOS to shutdown/reboot.

Signed-off-by: Tim Gardner <tim.gardner@ubuntu.com>

---

I have at least one report that this patch fixes shutdown/reboot

problems on the Dell E520 platform.

arch/i386/kernel/reboot.c | 8 ++++++++

1 files changed, 8 insertions(+), 0 deletions(-)

diff --git a/arch/i386/kernel/reboot.c b/arch/i386/kernel/reboot.c

index 3514b41..e33f51a 100644

--- a/arch/i386/kernel/reboot.c

+++ b/arch/i386/kernel/reboot.c

@@ -88,6 +88,14 @@ static int __init set_bios_reboot(struct dmi_system_id *d)

}

static struct dmi_system_id __initdata reboot_dmi_table[] = {

+ { /* Handle problems with rebooting on Dell E520's */

+ .callback = set_bios_reboot,

+ .ident = "Dell E520",

+ .matches = {

+ DMI_MATCH(DMI_SYS_VENDOR, "Dell Inc."),

+ DMI_MATCH(DMI_PRODUCT_NAME, "Dell DM061"),

+ },

+ },

{ /* Handle problems with rebooting on Dell 1300's */

.callback = set_bios_reboot,

.ident = "Dell PowerEdge 1300",

--

I found this on a ubuntu forum: https://kerneltrap.org/mailarchive/linux-ke...2007/5/23/94873

Think it's related?

I don't necessarily think so...If the other posters in this topic were able to do the process without patching the bios, so should we. Unless we have a newer version of the bios? Even then, its hard to believe why they would have disabled this.

Anyone else? Any ideas?

• 1 month later...

I'm at the same situation with my Dell E520:

- computer is booting from the cd, darwin starts

- I insert the leopard dvd

- I type in -v and press enter whit the hex code of mi DVD

- darwin starts to boot the dvd

- the apple start up/installer screen comes up and stays there, dvd is not spinning, nor is the hard drive working.

Help please.

O.K.!

I upgraded to a Core2quad on my e520, and can sucessfully install & boot the leopard retail disk!

I still ran into the looping setup assistant - used "Graphics Mode"="640x480x32" to escape.

Onto Installing the Drivers!

• 1 month later...

I've been using this boot132-image for a long time. However upgrading to 10.5.6 gets me "waiting for root device".

Tried it twice after clean installs.

REQ: Anyone have an updated boot132-image for e520?

• 2 months later...

• So i have a few questions about if the install method i plan on using will work:First i plan on partitioning my hard drive into 3 partitions. 1st= Vista, 2nd= Mac OS X, 3rd= Data (Music, photos, videos e.t.c.)

• So as u can tell by the way i plan on partitioning my hard drive, i plan on dual booting vista and OS X. But i have read elsewhere in guides that describe how to do this that you may come across a HFS+ error. Has anyone experienced this? Also, I have read up on a seemingly easier solution to the problem, and that would be to use a program called Easy BCD. So in your opinion, would it be easier to just just Easy BCD to create an entry for OSX?

• Also I have question on the Kexts required. If I use your method, are there any other kexts that I'll need to install? Like any audio kexts or a kext for my nvidia 7300 LE? Also I heard the Dr.vox had a kext working for my ethernet card (Intel 82562v). Would any of these kexts need to be install on the EFI Partition?

• Also I am trying to install straight from 10.5.6. will this Boot-132 CD still work on the OS (I think someone had problems with it)

• So i have a few questions about if the install method i plan on using will work:First i plan on partitioning my hard drive into 3 partitions. 1st= Vista, 2nd= Mac OS X, 3rd= Data (Music, photos, videos e.t.c.)

• So as u can tell by the way i plan on partitioning my hard drive, i plan on dual booting vista and OS X. But i have read elsewhere in guides that describe how to do this that you may come across a HFS+ error. Has anyone experienced this? Also, I have read up on a seemingly easier solution to the problem, and that would be to use a program called Easy BCD. So in your opinion, would it be easier to just just Easy BCD to create an entry for OSX?

• Also I have question on the Kexts required. If I use your method, are there any other kexts that I'll need to install? Like any audio kexts or a kext for my nvidia 7300 LE? Also I heard the Dr.vox had a kext working for my ethernet card (Intel 82562v). Would any of these kexts need to be install on the EFI Partition?

• Also I am trying to install straight from 10.5.6. will this Boot-132 CD still work on the OS (I think someone had problems with it)

Dear futuregator,

I've tried using EasyBCD - it works, but I ended up giving it up in place of chameleon2.0. Mainly due to the "waiting for root device" error that I started getting with 10.5.6 (still getting it with 10.5.7) I found that if I boot with the "-Ignore Caches" flag in chameleon, it boots just fine.

In regards to your other questions, Yes, you may need kexts (search the forums) for any non-native hardware you want to use, but this boot cd allows you to at least get a running system.

You should be able to install from a 10.5.6 CD.. I did and had no problems until i tried to install a boot loader other than the one included with the CD. (Chameleon 1.x something. see parent post of this one)

Cheers!

Dear futuregator,

I've tried using EasyBCD - it works, but I ended up giving it up in place of chameleon2.0. Mainly due to the "waiting for root device" error that I started getting with 10.5.6 (still getting it with 10.5.7) I found that if I boot with the "-Ignore Caches" flag in chameleon, it boots just fine.

In regards to your other questions, Yes, you may need kexts (search the forums) for any non-native hardware you want to use, but this boot cd allows you to at least get a running system.

You should be able to install from a 10.5.6 CD.. I did and had no problems until i tried to install a boot loader other than the one included with the CD. (Chameleon 1.x something. see parent post of this one)

Cheers!

Thanks for such a quick reply! Much apreciated!

So chameleon 2.0 works perfectly with both operating systems? Alright i'll try it.

and thanks when i install it i'll post back if i have any questions!

And thanks again for the reply. Much appreciated :(

well i tried installing today and i got this error:

IMG_0225.jpg

anyone got any ideas? oh and btw i had to install with -x -v boot flags cause -v didn't work

it hung there for 5 more times before i turned it off. Any help would be much appreciated :D

• 3 weeks later...
well i tried installing today and i got this error:

IMG_0225.jpg

anyone got any ideas? oh and btw i had to install with -x -v boot flags cause -v didn't work

it hung there for 5 more times before i turned it off. Any help would be much appreciated :)

wtf are you doing, theres no ALCinject in the ISO i uploaded... so im not sure how your getting ALCinject output when that kext doesnt even exist...

Hi, this is my firts and please sorry for my english, i just want to say thank you blkhockeypro19 for the image DMG (contents.dmg) work like a charm on my hp compaq 6720s retail (10.5.6) installation... thanks and sorry again. Saludos Cordiales desde Venezuela.

• 1 month later...

hi, i have a dell e520, with intel viiv, and i installed up to the point where you put in your name and adress, get to the mac migration assistant, the click NO THANKS or what ever it says, then it goes into the intro video again, and so on. so i did what you did, then i switched my cable to analog, and then into the built in video. blue cable. i used the mac 10.5.1 leopard retail disk, i bought. then i used that boot 132 disk. i did to your exact steps. please help. im using a geforce 7300 btw.

thanks in advance.

-kevin