SAM Multimedia: Read or WRite failed, Sense_KEY= 0x06 ACS=0x29, ASCQ=0X00

Still Waiting For root device

• 4 weeks later...

I had a working Kalyway system 1 month ago that I formatted and turned into a PC. well, later one I put in a different IDE hard drive and magically when I tried to install kalyway I got SAM multimedia read write error. the thing is.. I know 100% fact that I installed kalyway with the same IDE DVD burner and another IDE hard drive.. so I know IDE/IDE should work...but it wasn't!

the SAM Read/Write error is the ATA driver having issues communicating with one of your devices (DVD or HD).

I tried to install iAtkos v4 instead, but I had this error happen to me on both. (Kalyway 10.5.2 and the new 10.5.4 iAtkos v4.)

it has something to do with the version of the kext created by MeDevil (but im not sure on that - just what i've read from other threads.)

To fix it you can try a few things.

1) Get Kalyway 10.5.2 and also get iAtkos v4 - both have different versions of some startup kexts and I was able to get kalyway to finally load after hours of twiddling with my motherboard cables.

2) what you need to do is try and get an IDE DVD and IDE HD. if you have a SATA DVD that also helps because you can swap the 2 dvd drives out for different results, but mainly if you have a IDE hard drive your stuck with that drive and can't just swap it out. if you have a sata HD then great, you should be ok.

ok back to the SAM Multimedia Read Write error.

3 ) you need to pull your jumpers out of your IDE dvd drive and your IDE HD and rearrange them. believe it or not, sometimes you will be able to find a correct jumper pin termination setting that allows the DVD to install. I set my IDE DVD drive to MASTER and my IDE Slave to my HardDrive. make sure you have proper pin termination... just because you see your BIOS say master and slave, it doesn't mean you have jumper pins setup. I have a mobo that auto selects but I am not sure that it carries over to the mac once you boot kalyway /atkos DVD, I was trying to get this to install for hours and finally i pulled both drives, changed my jumper pins and got past the read/write error.

I also will note that I was getting a SAM multimedia loop on iatkos v4 and after switching the jumpers I got a "waiting for root device". I got the SAM multimedia loop on kalyway 10.5.2 and after switching the jumpers it installed fine. waiting for root device is another issue entierly but they are closely related in that they involve hard drives. try this out and hopefully it will work for at least one other person, I know it worked for me.. :P

The system specs for the issues I am discussing above were:

ABIT Fatality FP-IN9 motherboard / nForce5 chipset

IDE HardDrive / IDE DVD Burner (sony)

4 gigs of ram / IDE burner in master / hard drive in slave

Kalyway 10.5.2 Install / nforce kernel 9.2

Formatted HD 2 partition MBR - partition 1 - windows xp / partition 2 kalyway 10.5.2

• 2 years later...

OK wht i have noticed is that Sam Multimedia Read or Write Error occurs due to your Hard disk

in this case we have two methods(1 s not tried but the other is full proof)

1st Method(not tried)

Use the command "-s" at the boot option by pressing F8 and at the root type

"mount -uw /" (without quotes)

and then try

"fsck -fy" or something like that it will be given there it checks the HDD for errors and corrects them.

then type "exit"

and it should log in

Incase this method doesnt work there is another one which requires a little basic Hardware knowledge but anyone can do it.

Method 2(full proof)

Things that you might need:

An external HDD casing

A little knowledge

and another computer which works with the DVD(remember it has no burning issues its only with ur HDD)

Now if you are using another system then

Hold your laptop up side down and take out the hard drive of your computer

Using an external HD casing connect it to another computer which can boot that CD

but before you do this make sure that you know all the drivers of your computer

Now once the CD has booted go to disk utility which will show you the laptops HDD and urs

select urs and format one of it partitions or the whole HDD

Format it in Journaled partition and now quit the Disk Utility

Ur hard drive will now appear in the Destination section.

select, NeXt and Customize.

Now unselect all the selected drivers and in the kernels folder select Vanilla only uncheck all others if AMD select Voodoo kernel (depends if u hav intel or AMD)

ok once unchecked all the drivers go to each extension and search for the drivers of tour computer.

Check as u search for them

Uncheck all mobo stuff if using Kalyway

and in the Patches selct Power management fix and Time machine and usb fix too

once Done go ahead with the install

once the installation finishes it will ask for reboot

reboot but as soon as it shuts down remove ur HDD

( This wont affect the other PC you are using it will boot into Windows the next time)

Once done take your HDD out of the casing and connect it to your PC.

and power on

VOLA!! u have Mac running

u can do the same process after taking your HDD out on ur computer too it might boot then n then a straight install.

Also tht if u dont want to use the internal HDD n dont want to take it out thn do the process and boot from ur external HDD instead of ur internal and it will boot into Mac Os X

In cases u might need to have a Dual boot with Mac OS and windows 7

to boot the thing if it gives you a HFS+ partition error that is..

then you can follow a guide to having Windows 7 back up n running and use EasyBCD to boot Mac OS X

Well that all i guess

cya guys

Have fun using mac oS X