UnOfficial Dell Inspiron 6000 Thread

JacobMarley

139 posts in this topic

anyone manage to install 10.4.8 with working new kernel (8.8.x)?

fully working sound, wlan and x300 also a must... :-O

and does itunes 7 work without messing with the PPC version?

and so can someone confirm that sleep ever worked with the x300, or that it was just the GMA900 that had that.

cheers,

:)

G

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Guys. I'm new here and the site is great. I need some help though.

I've been having some issues with my install. I am using the JaS 10.4.8 SSE2 SSE3 install on DVD. I am doing a clean install with OS X being the only OS on my drive. When I boot from the DVD drive, I get a bunch of text that shows up (like it is running a bunch of system checks) instead of spinning apple screen shots I have seen. This "system check" takes a while to get to the OS installer. When I get to to installer, I pick my options, and start the install. Right after the install scripts start, the install fails due to errors with no explanation. I have tried many variations to the options i picked with no luck. Has anyone else seen this? Any ideas how to work around this? Could my install file be courrupt?

My Machine:

1.6 GHZ

1 GB RAM

533 MHz

Intel 2200 bg

Bluetooth

Nvida 128MB

1200x800 resolution

Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen an inspiron 6000 with an nvidia card before, are ou sure you have an inspiron 6000??

Cheers,

:thumbsup_anim:

Gus

My Machine:

1.6 GHZ

1 GB RAM

533 MHz

Intel 2200 bg

Bluetooth

Nvida 128MB

1200x800 resolution

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Now i am new to the putting mac osx on a pc. And after seeing a video on you tube i thought i give it a go.

I then downloaded this torrent JaS.Mac.OS.X.10.4.8.AMD.Intel.SSE2.SSE3.PPF.1.Defiant.diskutil.biker880.ich7-R.patch.Integrated

NOTE - I am using a 60gb IDE 2.5" hard drive that has nothing on it.

I then burned it onto a dvd-r as a image file.

I then start to install on my dell inspiron 6000 and i get to the choose your launguage screen i then select English and click the arrow to continue.

Then a box appears that says preparing instalation and the bar moves then about 20 seconds later it dissapears and leaves the blue background. Then the screen goes black and writing appears then the computers shuts down.

I have tryed burning the disk again but the same happens.

I have a video of this problem on youtube here is the link

• 4 weeks later...

Ok, I am just awash with all of the information about getting the video card (x300 mobility 128mb) to work. I already bricked the OS once though my own ineptitude. I am reading about someone getting the drivers from this "all in one" package. What is that. I also tried downloading the x300 packages from the Spanish thread and just made things worse (I used ATI_x300_C006.pkg) by booting into a black screen. I won't even pretend to understand half of the instructions in the readme for the koverg-patch9700-v0.2.tgz. I entered "sudo ./patch9700.sh 54 60" after extracting the folder to the desktop and the command just came back with an error.

I hate to sound like such a noob here, but I am just lost as to where to go next. I installed 10.4.9. I would like to get full video support working here and any hand-holding you chaps could provide to me would be appreciated.

• 2 months later...
Ok, so I got everything working for the video card now. Wifi and eathernet are also working. The only thing I am having problems with now is the PCMCIA slot. Anyone know of any driver for it?

@ That_Guy

Could you please share the methods that you used to get your video card working. I've been reading a lot on the x300 driver but it seems like people are having mixed luck with the various drivers available. Also, what wireless card do you have. Sorry if you already mentioned it and I just didn't notice...

Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I tried the wireless driver a while ago and it half-way worked for me. I could see the wireless networks, but it wouldn't let me connect. The driver has been updated since then so you may get different results with the newer release. The development for this driver has supposedly stopped though, and the current driver is only capable of wep encryption, not any other kind as far as I know.

Since I've been lurking here for a while, I thought I'd share a bit about my Inspiron 6000. I know when I first started on this (and a few other posters in this thread), all I wanted to know was if certain things were possible or not. Hopefully this post will inspire someone else to get this far or much farther.

I partitioned the 160GB drive into three partitions: OSX, WinXP, and a FAT32 data partition. Using the Darwin bootloader to control boot. Sharing iTunes & other files between both OS's. I have never experienced a kernel panic with this particular setup outlined below in the last two months of daily use.

WORKING:

OSX86 10.4.10, used the following install: XxX_OSx86_10.4.10_Intel_SSE2/SSE3 (google it) with kernel 8.9.1

(after reading through my post to see what hardware I have, does anyone know of a Leopard install floating around that works as well as what I have here?)

1.6Ghz overclocked to 2.13GHz (bus speed is now 533MHz. Google "inspiron 6000 pin overclock"...no soldering, does NOT run hot. Speedstep kicks in, slowing the cpu when on battery and automatically steps back up to 2.13GHz if I'm running an app that needs the speed. Full 2.13GHz speed on power adaptor)

2GB Ram (say's running at 667MHz)

Intel GMA900 1200x800, CI, QE (External homemade 15-pin plug with the two paper clip wires shoved in. Can't ever choose Mirroring or it gets stuck forever in Blue screen...have to reboot into safe mode and erase some files to get it back)

AC97 Sound (works great! front buttons control sound but won't control audio players. ie.no play/pause/ff/rw Even supports external firewire MOTU 828 audio interface) System Profiler say's "No info available" for built in audio, yet it works fine.

NOTE: When connecting the headphone/line out jack to my studio mixer, I get a noticeable static/buzz that is way different from regular ground loop buzz (keep forgetting to check this in WinXP to see if it's just the machine!). When on battery, output is crystal clear. Built in speakers always sound fine.

AirLink 101 USB wireless (clear plastic/blue LED Picked up years ago for about $20 at Fry's electronics. Look for ZyDAS USB2.0 WLAN driver, I believe I had to tweak the info.plist file to enter a dif product ID. WEP works) I have to remember to turn OFF the internal wireless if I've used it in WinXP and reboot. The AirLink won't work if I do and the Inspiron green light just above the keyboard doesn't come on to remind me I left it on in WinXP.

Bluetooth IOGear USB bluetooth 2.0 model GBU321. Can't recall the driver I used. It wasn't hard to find via google. I know I had to tweak some info.plist files and play around in terminal before it started working. I don't have anything else with bluetooth, so I don't use it. I was able to setup my iPhone at one point, but the iPhone doesn't currently sync via bluetooth.

Ethernet works

Firewire works (tested with external hard drives, audio interface, also as Ethernet over firewire to share Internet connections between my Powerbook and this machine)

CDBurner using both finder and toast 7. Want to upgrade to an internal DVD burner, but this is fine for now.

Hardware brightness works (fn + up/down arrows) but won't turn display all the way off... Installed LightMe! system preference by Daniele Margutti and was able to set Opt + F3 to turn off the LCD light. (energy saver sys pref is set to never sleep, turn off display after 2 hours) (opt = windows key)

Safari 3.0.4 (already had latest Java update. Had to install webkit and javascriptCore frameworks off the downloaded 10.4.11 update with pacifist)

XCode 2.5 Also installed Ruby, Rails, Eclipse, apache2, php, mysql. Programming is very solid with this install.

Quicktime: after the latest update to 7.4(92), video started playing. Prior, I only got sound, no vid.

iTunes: 7.6 (29) setup to sync with my iPhone

Dictionary works. Dictionary on this install DVD didn't work. Found an update from the author of the DVD.

Battery Original 53WH, only shows about an hour when running on battery. In WinXP, much longer. Want to pickup the larger version off ebay and see if that helps. BTW, I use the SlimBatteryMonitor instead of the built in one.

PCMCIA I believe it is working. The only card I have is a Stor USB2.0 cardbus card. I don't think there are OSX drivers for it, but when I plug it in system profiler shows three new unknown entries for PC Cards, with what looks like product ID numbers.

EMagic MT4 USB midi interface (see just below for intel driver info!!)

Adobe CS3 Not sure why, but there was an Adobe CS3 item on the install DVD. I knew I wanted to install the suite, so I checked off that item. May or may not need it to install CS3.

Pro Audio Apps: All audio apps run great. Have had up to 24 tracks of audio (all with effects) running at the same time on DP with Reason linked via Rewire at the same time without choking the cpu.

- MOTU Digital Performer 5.1

- Reason 4

- Ableton Live 7.01 (only demo, but runs perfect)

- Logic Pro 8.01 (only place to get midi drivers for Emagic MT4 USB midi interface)

- Wiretap Studio

NOT WORKING:

DVD Player plays DVDs, but no video. I've tried a bunch of things to get it working. Can use VLC to play DVDs, but want to get DVD Player working. I have the same issue on an old iBook clamshell I hacked to drive a 1024x768 12" display. Would absolutely love to figure out how to get DVD Player to work on both machines! (clamshell is too slow to run VLC properly)

Calculator ?!?! WTF? won't calculate results to anything. I even tried extracting the calculator from the 10.4.11 update and now it won't even start. Running calculator file in terminal, from within the calculator package, does not reveal any missing framework dependencies. Using Geek Calc for now.

Sleep I can put it to sleep with the menu command. Closing the lid does not put it to sleep, but opening the lid will wake it up?! When waking from sleep, all seems well, but it's not. Beach ball appears but doesn't spin, no menus work etc. have to force quit. I don't let it sleep now ever.

Startup Disk For some reason, when going into sys pref startup disk, this install does not show up as a bootable version of osx. Also "boot in firewire target mode" does not work. System just reboots normally.

Boot screen resolution No matter what I try (graphics mode set to 1280x800x60@32, cscreen utility etc.) the white boot screen with apple logo and spinning gear is at 1024x768. Once it gets past that screen, it changes over to 1280x800. I didn't like the stretched screen look of that, so I changed the BIOS to not stretch resolutions. Still, it would be cool to get 1280x800 for bootup.

Speaking of resolution, does anyone know if the higher res screens for the inspiron will work with my GMA900 graphics? I'd like to bump it up a bit. Maybe not to the full 1900x1280 resolution, but more than what I have now.

NOT TESTED

Modem I have no need for it, so I haven't checked if it works or not.

I'll post more if I think of anything.

• 1 year later...

Here's my setup on my Inspiron 6000.

• Install Method: iDeneb v1.6 Lite
  • OsX Version : Leopard 10.5.8 - Voodoo 9.5 kernel (10.5.5 System.kext) - Chameleon RC2 bootloader
  • CPU: 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium M 730
  • Graphic card: Intel i915 (GMA900) - Working with 'ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext' and 'AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext' after install.
  • RAM: 512 MB DDR2 400 MHz ram
  • Hard disk: 75 GB SATA -- Works with ICHx Fix
  • DVD/CD-RW : Works out of the box, burning untested
  • LAN : Broadcom 440X 10/100 - Works with AppleBC440X install driver
  • Firewire : Untested
  • SD Card Reader : Untested
  • Keyboard/Trackpad/Multimedia front key : Full Working with multimedia keys and two finger scrolling with 'VoodooPS2.kext'
  • Sound : RealTek AC97 -- Works with 'AppleAC97Audio.kext'
  • Wireless : Intel 2200b/g -- Spotty connections, on/off, considered working, but non-fuctional with 'VooDooIntel2200BG-05.kext'
  • Power management : Sleep, restart, Shutdown, Battery icon - Working with Sleep Fix and Battery Management
  • Fixes/Drivers On Install: Fix: Sleep, Fix: Seatbelt, Chipset: ICHx, Video: Intel GMA915, Ethernet: AppleBC440x, Power Management

Everything works other than the 2200B/G (of course), and the trackpad sucks. I think I need to get a better PS2 controller than VooDooPS2. For now, just using a USB mouse, and quite happy. I haven't tested the Firewire, because I have nothing to test with (or any use for it).

Remedying the WiFi issue by purchasing a Netgear WG111v3 USB dongle. NewEgg is selling refurbs for $15 shipped, as opposed to the $50 retail.

• 1 year later...
Here's my setup on my Inspiron 6000.

• Install Method: iDeneb v1.6 Lite
  • OsX Version : Leopard 10.5.8 - Voodoo 9.5 kernel (10.5.5 System.kext) - Chameleon RC2 bootloader
  • CPU: 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium M 730
  • Graphic card: Intel i915 (GMA900) - Working with 'ElliottAppleIntelGMA950LegacyEnabler.kext' and 'AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext' after install.
  • RAM: 512 MB DDR2 400 MHz ram
  • Hard disk: 75 GB SATA -- Works with ICHx Fix
  • DVD/CD-RW : Works out of the box, burning untested
  • LAN : Broadcom 440X 10/100 - Works with AppleBC440X install driver
  • Firewire : Untested
  • SD Card Reader : Untested
  • Keyboard/Trackpad/Multimedia front key : Full Working with multimedia keys and two finger scrolling with 'VoodooPS2.kext'
  • Sound : RealTek AC97 -- Works with 'AppleAC97Audio.kext'
  • Wireless : Intel 2200b/g -- Spotty connections, on/off, considered working, but non-fuctional with 'VooDooIntel2200BG-05.kext'
  • Power management : Sleep, restart, Shutdown, Battery icon - Working with Sleep Fix and Battery Management
  • Fixes/Drivers On Install: Fix: Sleep, Fix: Seatbelt, Chipset: ICHx, Video: Intel GMA915, Ethernet: AppleBC440x, Power Management

Everything works other than the 2200B/G (of course), and the trackpad sucks. I think I need to get a better PS2 controller than VooDooPS2. For now, just using a USB mouse, and quite happy. I haven't tested the Firewire, because I have nothing to test with (or any use for it).

Remedying the WiFi issue by purchasing a Netgear WG111v3 USB dongle. NewEgg is selling refurbs for $15 shipped, as opposed to the $50 retail.

What kext file did you use to get the sleep working? Does it work for 10.5.6 or do you have to upgrade it to 10.5.8? I can't seem to get the sleep working on mine.

• 2 months later...