138 replies to this topic

Gatot

Gatot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
Guys,

Let's keep this thread alive. It's easier for us to gather info within a single thread.

So, here's mine:
Inspiron 600, X300 Mobility, Intel wireless, Jas 10.4.6.
OSX options: all ticked (includes X11)
Ticked patch: Combo Update, SSE2, ATI Mobility, Wireless

What's working:
- Sound (without further patch)
- Widescreen 1280x800 (using Callisto's/Omni's patch. Use b_003 updated version, cause b_007 fails)
- Power management (using modified PowerManagement.bundle)

What's not working:
- Quartz and CE (boot failure, whether using koverg's patch or Boris trick)
- Intel Wireless
- Sleep mode is sleep forever (blank screen)
- No speed step (if run on battery, always runs very slow)
- Modem looks like dies (not sure, mostly because I don't know how to put ISP's dialed number ;-p)
- Ethernet, not yet tried

Today's work:
- Enabling quartz (some say, we should revert to ATIRadeon9700.kext version 10.4.5 then apply koverg)

Inputs or other information related to works or non-works patch or even just hi is awaited ;)

Gatot

Gatot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts
OMG ... I'm writing this from Safari ... Wooaa :censored2:

IMHO, it is not as good as firefox.. no tab browsing, font is too small (need some tweak?) ... AT least I know that my ethernet card is working

So, here's mine:
Inspiron 600, X300 Mobility, Intel wireless, Jas 10.4.6.
OSX options: all ticked (includes X11)
Ticked patch: Combo Update, SSE2, ATI Mobility, Wireless

What's working:
- Sound (without further patch)
- Widescreen 1280x800 (using Callisto's/Omni's patch. Use b_003 updated version, cause b_007 fails)
- Power management (using modified PowerManagement.bundle)
- Ethernet (native)

What's not working:
- Quartz and CE (boot failure, whether using koverg's patch or Boris trick)
- Intel Wireless
- Sleep mode is sleep forever (blank screen)
- No speed step (if run on battery, always runs very slow)
- Modem looks like dies (not sure, mostly because I don't know how to put ISP's dialed number ;-p)

Today's work:
- Enabling quartz (some say, we should revert to ATIRadeon9700.kext version 10.4.5 then apply koverg)

matt856

matt856

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Another 6000 user posting here for the first time....been lurking for awhile :)

10.4.5, dual boot with Windows XP Pro.
Dell 6000, 64MB x300, 1.6GHz, 1GB Ram

Working:
- Sound (worked right off the bat)
- Widescreen, currently running native resolution of 1680x1050
- Power management
- Ethernet, works only when OSX is booted from 'off' mode. If I'm in Windows and Restart to boot into OSX, no luck.
- Quartz Extreme/Core Image Enabled

Not Working Just Yet
- Intel Wireless
- Internal Fans. Since the Dell Bios controls the speed of the fans (low/high), the fans remain in low mode constantly (currently using laptop stand with built-in fans to support)

Still a bit disappointed that there is no temperature monitor or fan utility, but I'm still reading and looking to see how hard it might be to implement. :hysterical:

Gatot

Gatot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

Working:
- Sound (worked right off the bat)
- Widescreen, currently running native resolution of 1680x1050
- Power management
- Ethernet, works only when OSX is booted from 'off' mode. If I'm in Windows and Restart to boot into OSX, no luck.
- Quartz Extreme/Core Image Enabled

Resolution 1680x1050 is amazing .. How'd you do that? :graduated:
Are u combining koverg + Callisto? Or some other method? Could you please share your working ATIRAdeon9700.kext (koverg patched) and ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin (callisto patched)...

Not Working Just Yet
- Intel Wireless
- Internal Fans. Since the Dell Bios controls the speed of the fans (low/high), the fans remain in low mode constantly (currently using laptop stand with built-in fans to support)
Still a bit disappointed that there is no temperature monitor or fan utility, but I'm still reading and looking to see how hard it might be to implement. :)

I don't know if this two driver is related with fan utility, but u can try:
Fan, try Power Management
For the CPU speed, we can use Ned's Driver

I'm looking for modem driver. Do u have any idea?

matt856

matt856

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Resolution 1680x1050 is amazing .. How'd you do that? :graduated:
Are u combining koverg + Callisto? Or some other method? Could you please share your working ATIRAdeon9700.kext (koverg patched) and ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin (callisto patched)...

The resolution was fixed by using the Callisto technique ( http://omni.starchaser.org/ ), and also followed his method of getting the QE/CI working correctly (located in his FAQ section).

I don't know if this two driver is related with fan utility, but u can try:
Fan, try Power Management
For the CPU speed, we can use Ned's Driver

I'm looking for modem driver. Do u have any idea?

The power management steps and modified files just allowed access to the battery information. The fan settings are controlled by the bios, so another separate program or utility would be necessary to appropriately monitor and control the fans. As of now, I don't think anything like this exists.

As far as the modem goes, I've never tried it.... I have DSL, so I only need the ethernet port to work properly. Sorry about that. Good luck.

ultrasoul

ultrasoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Hi fellow Inspiron 6000 owners. Have no problems on my rig (CE, QI, sound, battery meter works perfectly. Look at my sig for more info) except for these few major problems:

1) Battery life is terrible- only get half as much on OS X than from XP.
2) VGA Dongle OR Blue screen of death. Very tough choice :happymac:
3) No smooth scrolling when using Safari or Firefox.

If you have any comments/ idea/ solutions, do let me know. Cheers.

Waxer

Waxer

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts
I have the Inspiron 6000, 512MB RAM/80GB HDD/1.87ghz Intel Centrino. I followed the installation guide on this site for 10.4.6, and amazingly all went well, worked first time. I have full functionality (I may have to hack the power settings yet), but no networking at all, wired, wireless or bluetooth (PCMCIA card by Belkin). I see a previous reply in this thread mentions a plist file, will that work on the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG? The wired network adapter is a broadcom 440x, anyone got that working? Thanks ;)

Gatot

Gatot

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 55 posts

I have the Inspiron 6000, 512MB RAM/80GB HDD/1.87ghz Intel Centrino. I followed the installation guide on this site for 10.4.6, and amazingly all went well, worked first time. I have full functionality (I may have to hack the power settings yet), but no networking at all, wired, wireless or bluetooth (PCMCIA card by Belkin). I see a previous reply in this thread mentions a plist file, will that work on the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG? The wired network adapter is a broadcom 440x, anyone got that working? Thanks ;)

I don't think there is a solution for our Intel wireless, until now. Just face it for now :angel:
(sstt.. let me know if there is any :D )

What is your screen resolution? What about QE/CI? Trust me, you must do the hack to make it as good as previous windoz res. as the rest of us did ;)

BTW. Ethernet runs on the fly .. Why is it problematic in yours ... :whistle:

ultrasoul

ultrasoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts

I have the Inspiron 6000, 512MB RAM/80GB HDD/1.87ghz Intel Centrino. I followed the installation guide on this site for 10.4.6, and amazingly all went well, worked first time. I have full functionality (I may have to hack the power settings yet), but no networking at all, wired, wireless or bluetooth (PCMCIA card by Belkin). I see a previous reply in this thread mentions a plist file, will that work on the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG? The wired network adapter is a broadcom 440x, anyone got that working? Thanks :D

Same here. Have an Intel 2200 and that would not work as it's been confirmed that there are no drivers for it (though sb is working on it, check out the drivers forum). Ethernet works fine out of the box. Would recommend to do a clean installation of OS X again if you haven't installed too many apps on your OS X rig. Cheers

Hi fellow Inspiron 6000 owners. Have no problems on my rig (CE, QI, sound, battery meter works perfectly. Look at my sig for more info) except for these few major problems:

1) Battery life is terrible- only get half as much on OS X than from XP.
2) VGA Dongle OR Blue screen of death. Very tough choice :smoke:
3) No smooth scrolling when using Safari or Firefox.

If you have any comments/ idea/ solutions, do let me know. Cheers.

Discovered a few more issues from my use of OS X on my Insprion 6000 ...

4) Unable to reawaken it if I put it to Sleep mode. Resuming for sleep only works on my system ONLY if I put it to sleep for a relatively short amount of time and even then I will not be able to put it back to sleep again (i.e. sleep mode only works once). Also, resuming from a short sleep would render any USB attached mouses to become disabled (or not usable). Odd eh?

5) My USB mouse (logitech G7) can sometimes become unresponsive for short bursts of time. The touchpad works fine though. Is that what they call 'mouse tearing' :D ?

audiophile

audiophile

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 3 posts
Well this topics not seen much activity in a while, let me ask a question.

I've got a pretty standard inspiron 6k
-1 gb ram
-80 gb HD
-intel integrated gfx (shoot me)
-pentium m 1.6 ghz
- sony dvd/cdrom burner
-intel pro wireless ab/g

You know, that jazz...

I'm using a 10.4.5 install disc, HOTiSO I believe. At any rate I've gotten it to work in XP using VMware, however when I try to install it natively it hangs at the blue screen where the intro box and following formatting prompt etc. should appear. One thing is fishy, and that is that it fails to mount something along the lines of os1. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? It seems most of you were able to install no-hitch.

Any help is appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Cheers

NKapinos

NKapinos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Just got my 6000 online with 10.4.6 tonight. My hardware is:

Pentium-M 1.73
Integrated Graphics - 915GM
1GB Ram
Dell 1370 Wireless w/ Bluetooth

After realizing I needed an external monitor plugged in to get past the blue screen during installation, it went by fine. Right after installation, everything was pretty much working great, wireless card, bluetooth could connect to my mouse, resolution was 1280x800, sound and volume buttons worked. The only problem right now is that the monitor needs to be plugged in on bootup or else it will hang at the bluescreen. Also, some keys on the keyboard don't work (home, end, winlogo).

If anyone has any updates on the external monitor issue with 915GM cards, keep us posted, this is the only thing holding me back.

EDIT: I was able to get Home and End to work properly by installing DoubleCommand.

-Bj

-Bj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
you've need to do the VGA dongle (or was it doggle?) to make it work without plugging in an external monitor to boot. I have a X300 card so I don't have that issue

NKapinos

NKapinos

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
Yup, I actually made the dongle today - requires a bit of a chicken dance to get it going properly (plug in dongle, Fn F8, Fn F8, let it load, unplug dongle, detect displays). I'm eagerly awaiting a fix for this. Aside from that, there is no battery meter and the vert/horiz scrolls on the trackpad don't work, but those are minor issues. I was pretty pumped during the post-install configuration when it asked what wireless network I'd like to join, and my BT mouse worked after a couple clicks.

-Bj

-Bj

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

The resolution was fixed by using the Callisto technique ( http://omni.starchaser.org/ ), and also followed his method of getting the QE/CI working correctly (located in his FAQ section).

I also followed his method but it doesn't work for me. Can you tell me which file you editted? I tried the 9700, X1000 and several other files but it failed

chulogrande

chulogrande

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
My Inspiron 6000:
Celeron M 1.6 GHz
1.25 GB RAM
80GB HD
Intel Graphics
OS 10.4.5

I have gotten most things working:
1680x1050
wireless
trackpad tapping (as long as laptop doesn't sleep. Is disabled upon wakeup)
got past blue screen with 2 wire trick

Some things don't work:
all media buttons except volume control
DVD Player application (due to tapping fix I think)
SD Card Reader
side USB ports
edge-scrolling

Anyway, does anyone have any idea of how to get the edge-scrolling working? That is my biggest gripe with it besides the poor battery life. Also, the cursor seems to jump around randomly every once in a while. but it is easy to live with.

Good luck to all!
-chulogrande

ultrasoul

ultrasoul

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 74 posts
Any of you fellow GMA 900 Inspiron 6000 owners got the unofficial 10.4.7 update from Jas to work without any problems? I heard that Rosetta dies completely. Is it a rumour?

ConceptDog

ConceptDog

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 1 posts
Got it up and running last night! Wanted to share how and with what:

What:

Inspiron 6000
Pentium M 1.6
Intel 915 Graphics
512mb DDR2 Ram
80gb HDD
XP Professional Installed

With:

Tried JaS 10.4.6, would not boot the installer, kept having kernel panics saying invalid frame pointer.
Tried installing through Vmware JaS 10.4.6 with no success.
Worked successfully with Goatscex 10.4.6.

How:

Partition Magic 8 to Resize a 60gb partition, making about 10g for OSX (I'll likely reinstall and make this larger tonight, as I'm very pleased with it.)

Formatted the created partition as Primary FAT32. Ran FDISK via -v -s and saved the partitions just to be sure.

Burned Goatscex 10.4.6 to a DVD and rebooted. First pass through I had a blue screen on install start. I attached an external monitor without any power and it made it to the installer second time around. Using disktools, mounted and wiped the FAT32 partition, formatted to HFS+ (Journalized).

Chose GMA900 in the custom menu in addition to X and install. Went smoothly and rebooted.

Darwin OS Chooser poped up and showed me three partitions. Tried XP and it started just fine. Rebooted without the monitor connected and had another hang at bluescreen. Connected the monitor (without power) and started again straight into OSX.

What Works:
Display LCD is primary, Quartz and all the goodies. Detected as Intel 915.
Sound - Even the front laptop buttons work.
Power - No extra fan noise, about the same heat, lower battery life. It gets estimated at about 3:45 from a full charge, I usually get 5-8 depending on what I disable and how low I can make the LCD.
Mouse - USB and Touchpad work fine.
Network - Broadcom internal wired nic worked straight away.
Sleep - Works fine. I can close the lid, tell it to sleep, walk away. Even the battery alarm makes it take a nap. Comes back without issue.

What Doesn't:

Wireless - Intel 2200. Not detected, no hope for it as far as I can see here.

What's iffy:

Display at Boot.

I've tried detaching the monitor and detecting displays after boot and it makes it through successfully. There must be some software work around, but I'm not even close to knowing enough about Darwin to know where to start. I've made my own no-solder dongle which I'm hoping to post about tonight when I get home. It works great sans monitor.

Next Steps:

I'm going to pick up a D-Link DWL-G122 on lunch as it's reported to work nicely here. Only $40 CAD and there are tones of em around. I like the Intel Wireless alot for windows, so I really don't want to spend money to replace it. I can always stick the D-Link on another PC should I decide I don't want OSX around anymore (or are forced to dump it).

Thanks to JaS, the guys behind Goatscex, and the people on this forum for the chance to use OSX without buying overpriced generic Intel stuff.

Edit: Forgot to mention sleep working.

editor

editor

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Intel M 1.6Ghz
512Mb RAM
60Gb Toshiba ATA

Hi all,

I've tried every possible type of installation, even followed a long guide of formatting a partition in disk utitlity via vmware but when trying to install 10.4.6 I still can't see my partitions. I've even tried a clean install but when trying to format my drive in disk utility I get a I/O error.

Any advice or help would be much appreciated!

Cheers

BTW I've tried both JAS and Goatsec ISOs and oddly enough windows tells me my HD is ATA but disk utitlity tells me its serial ATA.

pablasso

pablasso

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Computers and Sports
hello guys, im really stuck here, maybe you can help me, my inspiron 6000 is one of those with just a integrated intel extreme graphics

i installed the release 10.4.6 by JaS, and did all that tricky installation with the external monitor because at the beginning i just saw a blue screen, all the installation went successful and im booting ok with grub (i also have ubuntu and XP.. gentoo died to free space n_n)

the problem is that the boot stays forever at the first screen, i just see the apple and the little round thing and after a while a little sign of "dont", like this one, Posted Image appears in front of the apple

wth does that means? there's any way to get a console? i have pressed all the keyboard and all that i have is just that screen

i hope its not related with my integrated graphic card :thumbsdown_anim:

pablasso

pablasso

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Computers and Sports
i think this could be my problem

http://forum.insanel...showtopic=22518

ill try to reinstall and see what happens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy