UnOfficial Dell Inspiron 6000 Thread

JacobMarley

139 posts in this topic

Got this working. Seems the JaS patched DVD didn't install the 10.4.4 OpenGL.framework.

Install it and it should start working.

Would u care to explain to a newb how to do this? I have the 10.4.6-HotISO distro installed on an Inspiron 4150 with everything working xept OGL/QE and battery meter (that is fixed now). I have major dislpay corruption when playing a DVD.

Is the OpenGL.framework on the HOTISO disc or it is on one of the other discs? In what folder?

Thanks!

I'v also installed 10.4.6 again. Before I had 10.4.3 but that one did have support for QE.

But how do I get my x300 get to work right now. Installed the Jas patched dvd with the radeon options.

but no QE support yet. Has it something to do with the opengl? how do I install that?>

Here's a guide on how I got my X300 to work:

If you do a new install with Jas 10.4.6 DVD don't install ati mobility support because that will have conflicts with kovergs patch

Download Koverg's patch and follow this instructions:

1. Extract the archive.( i.e : I extrated the file to the desktop then open the terminal and found the folder where I extrated the file (cd Desktop/koverg then run the next command) )

2. sudo ./patch9700.sh 54 60 (I'm using 54 60 because this is the ID of our Video card)

3. manually edit the /System/Library/Extensions/ATIRadeon9700.kext/Content/MacOS/Info.plist. Replace 5B62 with your device id

Example:

<key>IOPCIMatch</key>

<string>0x4E441002 0x41441002 0x4E481002 0x41481002 0x41501002 0x4E501002 0x41521002 0x4E541002 0x4A481002 0x4A491002 0x4A4A1002 0x4A4B1002 0x4A4C1002 0x4A4D1002 0x4A4E1002 *0x5B601002* 0x5E4B1002 0x3E501002 0x4E561002 0x5B641002 0x3E541002</string>

The asterisk (*) is only meant to emphasize the change, do not enter them.

After you replace with your device ID press Ctrl+O to save the changes then exit and reboot your computer

I hope this work for you guys :pirate2:

I'm also running a mostly-working installation on an Inspiron 6000. I've tried running Koverg's patch, but the list of entries in the IOPCImatch list is NOTHING like the ones I've seen in both this thread and in his help file - the list in my file is much shorter, and with completely different numbers. So I'm not sure where to add the info for my x300 card.

Also, wired ethernet worked after my first boot. But since then, nothing. I have no internet at all. Any idea what hapened?

Thanks.

I'm also running a mostly-working installation on an Inspiron 6000. I've tried running Koverg's patch, but the list of entries in the IOPCImatch list is NOTHING like the ones I've seen in both this thread and in his help file - the list in my file is much shorter, and with completely different numbers. So I'm not sure where to add the info for my x300 card.

Also, wired ethernet worked after my first boot. But since then, nothing. I have no internet at all. Any idea what hapened?

Thanks.

I had a similar problem and I don't know what was the cause, the I made a new install with JaS 10.4.6 DVD but didn't install ati mobility support, because the first I installed the mobility support I had problem with the wired ethernet.

Hey folks,

could someone with a working, fully-enabled ati 300 on an inspiron 6000 post a step-by-step (cut-and-pasted text from the file, perhaps) of how they got this working?

My <string> section looks completely different from the one that everyone's referring to, so I have no idea where to paste the correct code for the card.

Thansk.

Ok, I've got Koverg's patch working. But I still can't get to my monitor's native resolution (1680x1050). I've added this value to the com.apple.boot.plist but it switches to 1280x1024 at reboot.

Any ideas how to get the proper resolution?

Thanks.

• 1 month later...

Guys,

Let's keep this thread alive. It's easier for us to gather info within a single thread.

So, here's mine:

Inspiron 600, X300 Mobility, Intel wireless, Jas 10.4.6.

OSX options: all ticked (includes X11)

Ticked patch: Combo Update, SSE2, ATI Mobility, Wireless

What's working:

- Sound (without further patch)

- Widescreen 1280x800 (using Callisto's/Omni's patch. Use b_003 updated version, cause b_007 fails)

- Power management (using modified PowerManagement.bundle)

What's not working:

- Quartz and CE (boot failure, whether using koverg's patch or Boris trick)

- Intel Wireless

- Sleep mode is sleep forever (blank screen)

- No speed step (if run on battery, always runs very slow)

- Modem looks like dies (not sure, mostly because I don't know how to put ISP's dialed number ;-p)

- Ethernet, not yet tried

Today's work:

- Enabling quartz (some say, we should revert to ATIRadeon9700.kext version 10.4.5 then apply koverg)

Inputs or other information related to works or non-works patch or even just hi is awaited ;)

OMG ... I'm writing this from Safari ... Wooaa :censored2:

IMHO, it is not as good as firefox.. no tab browsing, font is too small (need some tweak?) ... AT least I know that my ethernet card is working

So, here's mine:

Inspiron 600, X300 Mobility, Intel wireless, Jas 10.4.6.

OSX options: all ticked (includes X11)

Ticked patch: Combo Update, SSE2, ATI Mobility, Wireless

What's working:

- Sound (without further patch)

- Widescreen 1280x800 (using Callisto's/Omni's patch. Use b_003 updated version, cause b_007 fails)

- Power management (using modified PowerManagement.bundle)

- Ethernet (native)

What's not working:

- Quartz and CE (boot failure, whether using koverg's patch or Boris trick)

- Intel Wireless

- Sleep mode is sleep forever (blank screen)

- No speed step (if run on battery, always runs very slow)

- Modem looks like dies (not sure, mostly because I don't know how to put ISP's dialed number ;-p)

Today's work:

- Enabling quartz (some say, we should revert to ATIRadeon9700.kext version 10.4.5 then apply koverg)

Another 6000 user posting here for the first time....been lurking for awhile :)

10.4.5, dual boot with Windows XP Pro.

Dell 6000, 64MB x300, 1.6GHz, 1GB Ram

Working:

- Sound (worked right off the bat)

- Widescreen, currently running native resolution of 1680x1050

- Power management

- Ethernet, works only when OSX is booted from 'off' mode. If I'm in Windows and Restart to boot into OSX, no luck.

- Quartz Extreme/Core Image Enabled

Not Working Just Yet

- Intel Wireless

- Internal Fans. Since the Dell Bios controls the speed of the fans (low/high), the fans remain in low mode constantly (currently using laptop stand with built-in fans to support)

Still a bit disappointed that there is no temperature monitor or fan utility, but I'm still reading and looking to see how hard it might be to implement. :hysterical:

Working:

- Sound (worked right off the bat)

- Widescreen, currently running native resolution of 1680x1050

- Power management

- Ethernet, works only when OSX is booted from 'off' mode. If I'm in Windows and Restart to boot into OSX, no luck.

- Quartz Extreme/Core Image Enabled

Resolution 1680x1050 is amazing .. How'd you do that? :graduated:

Are u combining koverg + Callisto? Or some other method? Could you please share your working ATIRAdeon9700.kext (koverg patched) and ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin (callisto patched)...

Not Working Just Yet

- Intel Wireless

- Internal Fans. Since the Dell Bios controls the speed of the fans (low/high), the fans remain in low mode constantly (currently using laptop stand with built-in fans to support)

Still a bit disappointed that there is no temperature monitor or fan utility, but I'm still reading and looking to see how hard it might be to implement. :)

I don't know if this two driver is related with fan utility, but u can try:

Fan, try Power Management

For the CPU speed, we can use Ned's Driver

I'm looking for modem driver. Do u have any idea?

Resolution 1680x1050 is amazing .. How'd you do that? :graduated:

Are u combining koverg + Callisto? Or some other method? Could you please share your working ATIRAdeon9700.kext (koverg patched) and ATIRadeon9700GA.plugin (callisto patched)...

The resolution was fixed by using the Callisto technique ( http://omni.starchaser.org/ ), and also followed his method of getting the QE/CI working correctly (located in his FAQ section).

I don't know if this two driver is related with fan utility, but u can try:

Fan, try Power Management

For the CPU speed, we can use Ned's Driver

I'm looking for modem driver. Do u have any idea?

The power management steps and modified files just allowed access to the battery information. The fan settings are controlled by the bios, so another separate program or utility would be necessary to appropriately monitor and control the fans. As of now, I don't think anything like this exists.

As far as the modem goes, I've never tried it.... I have DSL, so I only need the ethernet port to work properly. Sorry about that. Good luck.

Hi fellow Inspiron 6000 owners. Have no problems on my rig (CE, QI, sound, battery meter works perfectly. Look at my sig for more info) except for these few major problems:

1) Battery life is terrible- only get half as much on OS X than from XP.

2) VGA Dongle OR Blue screen of death. Very tough choice :happymac:

3) No smooth scrolling when using Safari or Firefox.

If you have any comments/ idea/ solutions, do let me know. Cheers.

I have the Inspiron 6000, 512MB RAM/80GB HDD/1.87ghz Intel Centrino. I followed the installation guide on this site for 10.4.6, and amazingly all went well, worked first time. I have full functionality (I may have to hack the power settings yet), but no networking at all, wired, wireless or bluetooth (PCMCIA card by Belkin). I see a previous reply in this thread mentions a plist file, will that work on the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG? The wired network adapter is a broadcom 440x, anyone got that working? Thanks ;)

I have the Inspiron 6000, 512MB RAM/80GB HDD/1.87ghz Intel Centrino. I followed the installation guide on this site for 10.4.6, and amazingly all went well, worked first time. I have full functionality (I may have to hack the power settings yet), but no networking at all, wired, wireless or bluetooth (PCMCIA card by Belkin). I see a previous reply in this thread mentions a plist file, will that work on the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG? The wired network adapter is a broadcom 440x, anyone got that working? Thanks ;)

I don't think there is a solution for our Intel wireless, until now. Just face it for now :angel:

(sstt.. let me know if there is any :D )

What is your screen resolution? What about QE/CI? Trust me, you must do the hack to make it as good as previous windoz res. as the rest of us did ;)

BTW. Ethernet runs on the fly .. Why is it problematic in yours ... :whistle:

I have the Inspiron 6000, 512MB RAM/80GB HDD/1.87ghz Intel Centrino. I followed the installation guide on this site for 10.4.6, and amazingly all went well, worked first time. I have full functionality (I may have to hack the power settings yet), but no networking at all, wired, wireless or bluetooth (PCMCIA card by Belkin). I see a previous reply in this thread mentions a plist file, will that work on the Intel Pro Wireless 2200BG? The wired network adapter is a broadcom 440x, anyone got that working? Thanks :D

Same here. Have an Intel 2200 and that would not work as it's been confirmed that there are no drivers for it (though sb is working on it, check out the drivers forum). Ethernet works fine out of the box. Would recommend to do a clean installation of OS X again if you haven't installed too many apps on your OS X rig. Cheers

Hi fellow Inspiron 6000 owners. Have no problems on my rig (CE, QI, sound, battery meter works perfectly. Look at my sig for more info) except for these few major problems:

1) Battery life is terrible- only get half as much on OS X than from XP.

2) VGA Dongle OR Blue screen of death. Very tough choice :smoke:

3) No smooth scrolling when using Safari or Firefox.

If you have any comments/ idea/ solutions, do let me know. Cheers.

Discovered a few more issues from my use of OS X on my Insprion 6000 ...

4) Unable to reawaken it if I put it to Sleep mode. Resuming for sleep only works on my system ONLY if I put it to sleep for a relatively short amount of time and even then I will not be able to put it back to sleep again (i.e. sleep mode only works once). Also, resuming from a short sleep would render any USB attached mouses to become disabled (or not usable). Odd eh?

5) My USB mouse (logitech G7) can sometimes become unresponsive for short bursts of time. The touchpad works fine though. Is that what they call 'mouse tearing' :D ?

• 4 weeks later...

Well this topics not seen much activity in a while, let me ask a question.

I've got a pretty standard inspiron 6k

-1 gb ram

-80 gb HD

-intel integrated gfx (shoot me)

-pentium m 1.6 ghz

- sony dvd/cdrom burner

-intel pro wireless ab/g

You know, that jazz...

I'm using a 10.4.5 install disc, HOTiSO I believe. At any rate I've gotten it to work in XP using VMware, however when I try to install it natively it hangs at the blue screen where the intro box and following formatting prompt etc. should appear. One thing is fishy, and that is that it fails to mount something along the lines of os1. I was wondering if anyone else has had this problem? It seems most of you were able to install no-hitch.

Any help is appreciated, so thanks in advance.

Cheers