Black screen with iATKOS 2.0, GMA950 (945GM)

32 posts in this topic

I can boot up iATKOS v2 (OS X 10.5.2), except that there seems to be a problem with display. After the grey apple, there appears a blue screen for a split second. This reverts to a black/blank screen. Nothing happens, as if I'd typed in -- or even if I type in -- xyzzy.

So, what should I do? Is there a way to get this working? The best way would use only the Darwin console (with startup option "-s"), plus files from thumb drives or the like. Or is there a way to merely get it working by replacing files from Windows?

PS: I did install the included GMA950 drivers with OS X.

PPS: Is that a problem? If so, how can I uninstall those drivers?

Try this.I had this exact issue and this fixed me up.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...0&start=260

page 14 where I talk about fixing video problems.

I think you're talking about this post:

I booted with the -s switch and was presented with the single user command prompt mode and did the following:

/sbin/mount -uw /

this got us into read-write mode. Then:

cd /Volumes/drivename/System/Library/Extensions

rm -rf AppleIntell* (this is what I did you might want to just remove the list) The only ones i saw were those.

then typed exit and it brought me up...

So you're talking about deleting all the kext files starting with "AppleIntel"? You also talk about removing just the list -- how would I do this?

Do you get any signal? If not, NVCAP, if yes, make sure your dev ID is in there.

How would I know if I have a signal? I do not have an external monitor at hand, and I don't think I can tell very well by gazing at my laptop LCD monitor.

EDIT: Whoa, strange reply system this forum has here.

Yes I am talking about removing the kexts listed in the first post on that thread. Here is the exact quote.

cd /Volumes/leo_volume/System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

After that you should be able to reboot and get video, granted it will be software accelerated but at least you can use the system.

Yes I am talking about removing the kexts listed in the first post on that thread. Here is the exact quote.

cd /Volumes/leo_volume/System/Library/Extensions
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMA950VADriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelIntegratedFramebuffer.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100FB.kext
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GA.plugin
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100GLDriver.bundle
rm -rf AppleIntelGMAX3100VADriver.bundle

After that you should be able to reboot and get video, granted it will be software accelerated but at least you can use the system.

OK, I will try that.

So I can't get hardware acceleration in iATKOS v2 with GMA950 yet?

Well if those steps get you to a usable mode I would bet that you can. I didnt get hardware acceleration until I went to 10.5.3 so if you get it working I would recommend that you follow the steps in that post to go to 5.3...

It's been working for me now for a week and it's quite nice.

In this command line cd /Volumes/leo_volume/System/Library/Extensions

But when i type it in it says there is no such file or directory.

Please can you help

@Paul Dullford, when you manage to get a modified version of the 950GMA driver could you post it here.

In this command line cd /Volumes/leo_volume/System/Library/Extensions

But when i type it in it says there is no such file or directory.

Please can you help

@Paul Dullford, when you manage to get a modified version of the 950GMA driver could you post it here.

NSCXP2005: In place of "leo_volume", use whatever you named your OS X partition. For example, I named my partition "TIM2" when I installed iATKOS (for the third time), so I would do "cd /Volumes/TIM2/System/Library/Extensions"

Also make sure you do "/sbin/mount -wu /" before you type in that, because it gives you read/write access.

I have found a project called darwin950 (search for it on Google), which is another modified driver project. I haven't tried it yet, but will do so very soon.

Cheers mate,

Could you tell me how to update to 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 without it messing up my system?

I believe you have to download a JaS or Kalyway combo update. I have no idea where to get it, or if it's safe for your computer, but I think a Google search should take care of such doubts.

Hi Paul,

Have you seem the news of how to install Leopard from a Retail DVD? It would be great to install it on the HP Pavillion Laptops, but I don't know where to sart, i'm quite new to OSX really.

Please can you respond on your thoughts on this

NSCXP2005

Hi Paul,

Have you seem the news of how to install Leopard from a Retail DVD? It would be great to install it on the HP Pavillion Laptops, but I don't know where to sart, i'm quite new to OSX really.

Please can you respond on your thoughts on this

NSCXP2005

NSCXP2005, I haven't the slightest idea how to do so; I'm also quite new to OSx86 myself. However, I do think (and note that this is not at all an objective opinion) it is just much more seamless installing from a pre-tweaked DVD image like iATKOS or Kalyway, having installed from iATKOS v2 myself, then using a virginizer to return to stock logos, backgrounds, etc. I suggest you browse the forums for help, or ask specific questions.

Conclusion: I'd suggest starting with partitioning your hard drive into at least 2 partitions. If you partition using the MBR scheme, install using iATKOS. If not, please install using Kalyway. You can find both disk images with a quick torrent search. You can burn a DVD from either ISO image, perhaps with DVD Decrypter or InfraRecorder, and boot from the DVD, format (aka "erase") your OS X target partition as Mac OS Extended (Journaled), then install to that partition. Feel free to post additional installation issues in separate threads!

EDIT: Possibly you were asking about upgrading to 10.5.3 or 10.5.4 with a retail DVD? I still suggest using a hacked combo update. Or you could search for solutions for installing with the Apple updates. ex. http://netkas.org/?p=50 for 10.5.3 update. However, since this entire OSx86 thing is dependent on hacks and other illegitimate stuff, complete stability can never be guaranteed.

RE-EDIT: Wacky edit/reply system.

PS: As for myself, I'm sticking with 10.5.2 for now. It works fine, and graphics and audio work just fine for me.

OK cheers Paul, Have you tried the 950 GMA modified driver? ANy luck with getting it working?

WHa Device id is your GMA, mine is 0x27a2

NSCXP2005

Yes indeed, the driver is working great!

Here's what I did:

I started up my OS X system after deleting the kext files for the GMA950 (as specified previously in this thread). It worked fine then, so I set up an active corner for sleep/wake, and installed the darwin950 drivers for 0x27a2 (which is the device ID for my GMA950 as well). The first boot went fine, but there were huge menu glitches, and I rebooted, only to find that the refresh rate apparently was messed up.

Therefore, I went back to Windows, and downloaded the Leopard Graphics Update (which is available in DMG with a quick search on Apple's website). Installing it, I rebooted, and seeing the black screen, I went to my active corner, and found that now the menus were fixed! But I couldn't work with a messed-up horizontal refresh. Now I reinstalled the darwin950 drivers. Not much luck. Went to active corner, then saw the horrible state of the screen. Oh well. I wanted to test my ethernet then (Broadcom 440x, and by the way it works terrific). So I unplugged my laptop (if you could call it that -- the E1705 is a 17-inch desktop replacement), and went over to my cable modem. I wanted to check my battery status, so I clicked on my battery icon -- and, surprise! The screen tearing stopped. Just like that, it stopped, and ever since I haven't had any problems. The GMA950 works well with QE/CI, and I even tried running Portal in CrossOver, and it works just fine.

So, by a serendipity encounter (well, a couple of them), I managed to get the GMA950 (on a Dell!) working with 10.5.2.

Here's my suggestion: install 10.5.2 or above, and then install the graphics update, then install darwin950. That should work like a charm ... hopefully.

ok, I will try it, I had to use the command AppleIntel* for iATKOS 2.0i to start up, do you think chmod would make it work?

After I installed iATKOS 2.0i my ethernet does not work, do you think installing the ethernet adapter and wireless patch from iATKOS1.0iR2 will fix it?

ok, I will try it, I had to use the command AppleIntel* for iATKOS 2.0i to start up, do you think chmod would make it work?

After I installed iATKOS 2.0i my ethernet does not work, do you think installing the ethernet adapter and wireless patch from iATKOS1.0iR2 will fix it?

Ethernet not working is interesting. What adapter are you using?

And rm -rf AppleIntel* just deletes your graphics adapters so that OS X reverts to VESA (software graphics). You have to install graphics drivers again. My suggestion is to install Leopard Graphics Update, then darwin950.

Oh, and I don't have any mouse artifacts at all. Weird, but I don't have any mouse artifacts. At least not any discernible ones. Even when I use Firefox 3, I don't see them.

PS: I just realised what fixed the temporary screen tearing. Sleep display made it disappear.