Release for Toshiba Satellite P10x users: modded BIOS to try and activate Conexant sound chip

BuXb

375 posts in this topic

Hi, Mentorek.

I get VERY sad about my sound...

Can You tell more about AppleRTC.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext. If it is possible to update Leo safely it is fine.

Thanks.

With great respect, jazzminos.

Hi Jazzminos,

The sound is not working for me. I have some ideas but I'm out of time to check them.

The updates should be safe now. Both of those kexts are loaded and system is working without problems. Only drawback is that the CPU tends to get hotter than without AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext

Cheers,

mentorek

Do You have any ideas how memory banks affect sound? Why 2x512 work and 2x2Gb does not? Frequency and vendor are the same. What should be corrected?

I didn't understand what You had changed to make AppleRTC.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext work. It would be very nice for me to make updates safe... Share a secret please :)

p.s. I wish we had BugsB among us. I suppose that he could help solving problem.

Do You have any ideas how memory banks affect sound? Why 2x512 work and 2x2Gb does not? Frequency and vendor are the same. What should be corrected?

I didn't understand what You had changed to make AppleRTC.kext and AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext work. It would be very nice for me to make updates safe... Share a secret please :(

p.s. I wish we had BugsB among us. I suppose that he could help solving problem.

As for memory upgrade: I have no idea. Maybe it's related to the amount of memory 945GM + T2x00 processor can allocate?

I've changed DSDT source and had compiled it back. Of course I had to install patched Chameleon. As for now the only way to use it is to download Chameleon installer, installing it, downloading the zip file from the thread about Chameleon w/ DSDT override and dd'ing boot1h file to the first sector of your OSX partition (this last step is only needed to boot OSX using journaled, case-sensitive UFS+ file system).

After all steps had finished you would have to put your compiled DSDT.aml file on '/' and reboot OSX.

Tonight, I'll have a look at my old DSDT files from Linux maybe I'm missing some parts in the new one that came with my mobo.

Cheers,

mentorek

• 2 weeks later...
As for memory upgrade: I have no idea. Maybe it's related to the amount of memory 945GM + T2x00 processor can allocate?

I've changed DSDT source and had compiled it back. Of course I had to install patched Chameleon. As for now the only way to use it is to download Chameleon installer, installing it, downloading the zip file from the thread about Chameleon w/ DSDT override and dd'ing boot1h file to the first sector of your OSX partition (this last step is only needed to boot OSX using journaled, case-sensitive UFS+ file system).

After all steps had finished you would have to put your compiled DSDT.aml file on '/' and reboot OSX.

Tonight, I'll have a look at my old DSDT files from Linux maybe I'm missing some parts in the new one that came with my mobo.

Cheers,

mentorek

This seems not to work for sound issues in my case. Could you please tell me which BIOS version are you guys using to get at least sound-out?

Cheers,

mentorek

Hi, mentorek. What do You think about this topic - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=136531 ? Maybe there is a way to solve problem via AppleHDA? I got a Linux dump for our Conexant chip... AppleHDA Patcher does something but still no sound.

I'm getting closer with Chameleon+DSDT Override + AppleHDA + HDAEnabler. Only problem I have is that I cannot do the Pin Configuration properly. I'll post my findings in an hour or two.

cheers,

mentorek

Edit:

Using method from below and some changes in AppleHDA binary and plists I've achieved this:

picture1hh5.th.png

It is also showing up with plenty of details in IORegistryExplorer. (I'll provide a screenshot later).

The problem is that I don't know how to set up NodeID's in plists of AppleHDA.kext and also if that would work at all...

Still this is much of a progress. Hopefully I'll find a way to set it up correctly.

Thanks for Your efforts, mentorek... I'm sorry that I can't help You otherwise being a tester... I don't know much about programming :angel: Waiting for Your reply... Maybe it will be useful to make a new thread and to attach it in the top list of sound drivers forum... I can ask a moderator if we can do this.

LuisC-SM from LinuxQuestions answered this:

Hi Minos.

Unfortunately I've had no contact with MAcOSX and it's been more than 20 years since I don't use a pure UNIX system.

However, let me tell you one thing, it does not matter the *nix system you are on. If you have hacked the BIOS or your DSDT tables, then you have to tell your kernel you have made those changes, The only way to do this is by recompiling your DSDT against your new memory/kernel. in other words, what I mean, just doing it over again will fix the issue.

I use openSuse, and i hade the same issue wich was solved by the way i explained.

Sincerely

Luis

So how did you patch your DSDT? I have tried to dump it manually, which hasn't worked, and I have also tried the DSDT patcher floating around here on the forums. The patcher ends with an error, and will not compile unless I force it to, which results in a dsdt file that does not work properly. Just curious if you had to do anything special, it's really been frustrating me.

So how did you patch your DSDT? I have tried to dump it manually, which hasn't worked, and I have also tried the DSDT patcher floating around here on the forums. The patcher ends with an error, and will not compile unless I force it to, which results in a dsdt file that does not work properly. Just curious if you had to do anything special, it's really been frustrating me.

I've used DSDT patcher and had edited .dsl file myself. You'd have to comment out all the lines that give you problems or you can move them outside of the loops. Compile the dsl et voila.

Hey mentorek,

Sorry to bug you again, just a quick question. What did you end up doing with the areas of code that give errors, like

./dsdt_fixed.txt 2227: Name (T0_3, 0x00)

Error 4111 - Creating a named object in a While loop ^

I thought about just commenting out the entire while loop, but didn't know if it was needed or not. I saw you posted about it in the dsdt patcher forum, but couldn't find any response.

Thanks,

EDIT: Nevermind, I just commented out all of those loops, and the dsdt compiled without any errors or warnings. Then I was able to install 10.5.6 without any errors or kernel panics, so I am assuming it is working!

So, now where/what were you editing to change the pin configuration to try and enable sound? Maybe with both of us working on it we can get this figured out.

EDIT #2: Disregard this entire post, I now have sound working on a 10.5.6 install using a fixed DSDT. See below...

Screenshot.tiff

Hey all, I HAVE SOUND!!!!!!!!

Here's a short synopsis of what I did to finally get it to work.

First, I used the DSDT patcher here on the forums to get a "fixed" dsdt file. However, this file was not completey fixed, as the dsdt of our laptops must be extremely buggy to the point that the patcher doesn't get everything. I simply followed the error output of the compiler, and commented out the loops and lines of code that gave errors. This compiled fine, and allowed me to update to 10.5.6, however I still had no sound. So, I followed this guide:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=473996

But I only actually used a few parts of the guide; under number 5 I did part IV, the part about commenting out the code near the keyword "Linux" and adding a small line of code: "Store (0x07D6, OSYS) //Fake Windows 2006" of course without the quotes.

This then compiled fine without any errors or warnings, and after placing this fixed dsdt in my root directory and rebooting, I then had Sound!

I've attached my dsdt file that I patched so that you can see what changes I made, if you need more info, or more detail just let me know. I'm not sure if this will work for all of you, but you never know.

By the way, I've got a Toshiba P105-S6064 Laptop, in case your laptop is close enough to mine that my file might work for you.

dsdt_fixed.txt

• Like 1

:P:hbd:

awesome geiman, big congrats from me :jerry: !!

mentorek & jazzminos, go4it :blink::) !!!

(geiman's success would deserve even more graphics, but there is a forum limit .. :D )

Aloha from Kauai,

BugsB

PS: as a little pre-Xmas gift, check this out: Willie K - O Holy Night (the guy is said to have the most beautiful voice on Hawaii right now, and I totally agree)

I am assuming you are talking about is that you want to do what I have done in order to get my sound to work, is that correct? Well, if you are, a good place to start is to grab the newest DSDT patcher from here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=133683

Run this patcher, and see if it gives you a compiled DSDT; if it gives you errors, copy the error output in the terminal and paste it in a post here and I'll look at it to see if it is the same that I had. If so, I can show you what to fix and we'll go from there.

Your's looks pretty good, all you have to do is comment out each part of code that contains the error pointed out in the console. I searched for the line where the error was, and commented out the entire method that contained the error. If you have any programming experience it would be helpful. I then used the part of the guide I pointed out in my earlier post to comment out the part for linux and add the line of code for the fake windows 2006 area, and it compiled.

It is hard to explain, if you would like, post the "dsdt_fixed.txt" file that was created in the debug folder by the patcher, and I will fix it for you. That might be easier. Anyone else who would like their "dsdt_fixed.txt" files fixed can post the error output from the console that was printed by the patcher and their "dsdt_fixed.txt" file and I would be glad to try and fix it for you.

Sorry for the long wait, I was out of town today.

EDIT: Just as a side note, if you want scrolling back on your touchpad, I can confirm that the two-finger scrolling tutorial located here:

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=88811

works great for me, after a little tweaking the scrolling works great. I think everything on my laptop is working now except of course for the intel 3945 card; after I take a few embedded classes at school hopefully I'll be able to write my own driver for it. At least I hope so.

Hi. Unfortunately I don't have programming experience at all... And in this case Your help is extremely valuable :P

Here is the file.

One more question. I guess that I need to reinstall MacOS with Chameleon to get DSDT override working. I just downloaded iATKOS 10.5.5. Is the process of installing with Chameleon bootloader different form installing with EFI. New iATKOS also contains EFI v9 that allows DSDT override too. What variant is preferable? What do You think about it?

dsdt_fixed.txt