Release for Toshiba Satellite P10x users: modded BIOS to try and activate Conexant sound chip

BuXb

375 posts in this topic

Hey guys,

I've made 2.10 BIOS with modified DSDT. It does not enable sound for me at all (maybe this very low sound but I'm not sure), what's worse is that the performance went all the way down in OSX. I'll mess around today - I want to lower the temperature of the left side of my Tosh. I'll try to make 2.40 also today - and btw. I cannot flash 2.10 from WinPhlash in Vista :/ I cannot use iasl for Windows provided by BugsBunny (only the oldest is working in my case).

Cheers,

Mik

wetspiz, you succeed, it's really great for you. If you can describe you laptop spec., it's interesting for me.

Mentorek, you are always in the same situation like me : IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!

But the work really progress...What tutorial did you use for make your bios?

I used this one : The Most Recent I found

I find this one in the official toshiba forum : Toshiba site

Whitehorse

MAJ : I found a great document, search on the middle, you should see a section named "Fixing your broken DSDT Table".

The link is : ACPI HOWTO

I've been doing the same to make sound working under Linux. It was piece of cake. I know almost every buggy line in DSDT to get sound working with Linux - it seems that it does not work for me with OSX. Tough luck...

I think I've missed two Methods that might have some crutial meaning. I'll keep you updated with the results tonight.

wetspiz, you succeed, it's really great for you. If you can describe you laptop spec., it's interesting for me.

Mentorek, you are always in the same situation like me : IT DOESN'T WORK!!!!!!

But the work really progress...What tutorial did you use for make your bios?

I used this one : The Most Recent I found

I find this one in the official toshiba forum : Toshiba site

Whitehorse

MAJ : I found a great document, search on the middle, you should see a section named "Fixing your broken DSDT Table".

The link is : ACPI HOWTO

FINALLY I DID IT.....YES THE SOUND IS WORKING WITH A BIOS 4.30 AND IT'S OUT OF THE BOX....

THE STORY HAS AN END...I'd go to modified my signature...

Thank you very much BugsBunny for your help and to Kabyl who made this possible....

I'm really happy today....My next step is installing Leopard with stock Kernel.

Whitehorse

PS : Mentorek, when I made my modified dsdt.dst, i made some mistakes and when I corrected them, the bios is running like it should...If you want, I can do a quick howto with the changes i've made...

TOSHIBA P105-S6014 with Conexant "Waikiki" HD Audio (Vendor-ID 14F1, Device-ID 5047)

Hardware ID: HDAUDIOFUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5047&SUBSYS_1179FF31&REV_1000

Manufacturer ID: 1 | Product ID: 100

LEO IATKOS_4 / 10.5.4

- Flashing BIOS width: P105-S6024 BIOS 4.00

- Execute-Disable Bit Capability to Enabled

No LINE IN....but LINE OUT & LINE MIC 100% run

TOSHIBA P105-S6014 with Conexant "Waikiki" HD Audio (Vendor-ID 14F1, Device-ID 5047)

Hardware ID: HDAUDIOFUNC_01&VEN_14F1&DEV_5047&SUBSYS_1179FF31&REV_1000

Manufacturer ID: 1 | Product ID: 100

LEO IATKOS_4 / 10.5.4

- Flashing BIOS width: P105-S6024 BIOS 4.00

- Execute-Disable Bit Capability to Enabled

No LINE IN....but LINE OUT & LINE MIC 100% run

Congrats!

But let me check your work :))

Cheers,

mentorek

EDIT:

Nothing has changed

hoi whitehorse & wetspiz, that is awesome news :) !! Glad "my baby" is growing .. :D I was quite bummed at first thinking I was leaving a dead legacy ..

@ whitehorse: thanks for the links, they will help many people! Yes, a guide including a diff would be really great (esp. for people like mentorek who I think are just a millimeter of fine tuning away from getting their Conexant to work in OS X)

@ wetspiz: thanks for the detailed report :D Do the internal speakers work, too?

@ mentorek: wetspiz flashed with the .dsl I provided for the P105-S6024 (but s.b. unknown made that mod)

If, after applying a modded wph, you have two unknown devices in XP and not all hotkeys (like Display Fn+5) are working anymore, in the already modded .dsl replace the whole device tree starting at

Device (AMW0)
  {
 Name (_HID, "PNP0C14")

.. all the way down to the end of the file ..

Name (FWSO, "FWSO")
}

with the one from the original dsdt, then work out again one by one the few errors you get.

Ouaouh, the life with Lepard is so simple!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU VERY MUCH.....

I could realize a guide based on the package you give at us, BugsBunny. If you accept, I complete it with my changes to try to be the most simple as possible. (For MacOS X, Windows, Linux).(In English and French).

I'm French and I don't understand what is a guide "including a diff" ?

Maybe you can include it in your first post for people who don't know where to search?

Yes, I have two unknown devices in XP, and I try to fix it. And you find the solution, it's really amazing!!!!!

I try to do this.

Whitehorse.

PS : This my Modified DSDT.dsl

dsdt.dsl.zip

whitehorse yes, feel free to improve my guide :) !

a diff file is a file containing the differences between an original and a modd. However, I do not know how to produce a diff file in Windows and OS X. When I double click a diff file in OS X, Textmate (if installed) feels responsible for it and opens it. Then you see the differences between the two compared files highlighted in colour. So maybe in OS X one can also produce a diff file (?)

It was actually Kabyl who figured out how to fix the "two unknown devices in XP", but I just found out how he did it by comparing .. :)

mentorek, do you still have the diff file I sent you? I cannot find it anymore .. ;)

Bugs, Ment...

I don't write English very well...Ifrom argentina....

my unique pass to flash Bios...

- In windows Vista....i used flash Bios with P105-S6024 BIOS 4.00 and i don't any used applications..(Dont check/compares any archivo later flash bios...a little dangerous, but I had luck)..

- Reboot...

- In the setup Bios, Execute-Disable Bit Capability to Enabled.

- Reboot...

- Run OSX...and any more...

Yesterday installs the leopard of Kalyway 10.5.2, that is 100% stable one in my machine.

Sound, Line Out, MIC and Internal Speakers....OK

no, Line In

USB, VIDEO, LAN, etc..working!!!

No wifi...

Tonight it will update the leopard 10.5.3 / 10.5.4, and it will tell them as it works.

Thats all..!!!!!

PD: Mentorek...I do not have words why him to past to Tosh...

@ wetspiz: Azalia was not made for line-in. What do you mean by "PD: Mentorek...I do not have words why him to past to Tosh..."?

@ xavier, first check on the modded Toshiba DSDT download site if there is a pre-modded DSDT for your exact model - if so, then compile it yourself with the easy step-by-step guide (first posting). Always better this way than to apply another model's BIOS.

ah now I understand. Well it's not all lost - the worst would be a mobo exchange (but yes, that would be bad enough) .. :unsure:

I think all they have to do is to reflash the chip. But maybe they have to unsolder one from the motherboard and do some magic...

@ wetspiz: Azalia was not made for line-in. What do you mean by "PD: Mentorek...I do not have words why him to past to Tosh..."?

@ xavier, first check on the modded Toshiba DSDT download site if there is a pre-modded DSDT for your exact model - if so, then compile it yourself with the easy step-by-step guide (first posting). Always better this way than to apply another model's BIOS.

true dat true dat

How do i found out who is the manufacturer of the dsdt? honestly i need to wiki dsdt

hi, I've a toshiba P100-109 PSPA3E - 00N00CIT with Conexant CX20551, I installed the AppleHDA kext but I did not sound even if it recognizes the hd audio output. I'm not practical to modify bios and I was wondering if any of you were so nice to fill me a bios.

sorry for my English

thank's

hey lazy one .. :P

there is already downloads to modded and pre-compiled BIOSes for two PSPA3E in this topic's first posting. If you don't want to extract and correct your Laptop's very own DSDT, you will need to apply (best) modded 4.2 BIOS (+ follow the installation instructions inlc. removing AppleHDA.kext), or - if that BIOS doesn't work - apply the modded 3.8 BIOS for PSPA3E (not so preferable if you also run Vista).

Alternatively there is a readily modded BIOS 3.3 for the PSPA3E which I could compile, but that appears a bit too old to me ..

Compare your Toshi's hardware to mine (link in my sig) - if there is only differences in e.g. HD and/or RAM size, it should be pretty safe to apply the modded 4.2 for the

PSPA3E.

Good luck, and let us know how it went if you chose to apply the 4.2 or 3.8.

Bugs

Almost all of the HP dv6000/dv9000 Intel will work as perfect hackbooks if the sound is solved. I just happened to have the gma950 video and Broadcom wireless chip so those are 100%.

The Conexant cx20549 sound chips are quite popular and it seems like no one is bothering with it. The Apple Azalia driver works but is speakers only. I would like to think this driver could be modified or added to support the sound fully.

I use headphones 99% of the time so this is the only thing keeping me from going all OS X besides the card reader which is not really a big deal.

So whenever I try and and run the extract script in order to try and correct my own DSDT, it will not work. When I try and run the program in the terminal myself using the -d switch just as in the script, this is all that shows up:

Intel ACPI Component Architecture

AML Disassembler version 20080321 [May 18 2008]

Copyright © 2000 - 2008 Intel Corporation

Supports ACPI Specification Revision 3.0a

Does anyone know why this will not dump my DSDT? It will not work in windows or OS X. Any help would be appreciated!