Release for Toshiba Satellite P10x users: modded BIOS to try and activate Conexant sound chip

BuXb

375 posts in this topic

Hi bugs, I was on 4.3 and before 4.0. I will try this. Yesterday night I loaded 2.4 bios and I can see that I still conserve the line in advance settings from you bios strange.... I boot on live cd from ubuntu and sound come back I saved the dump, I will try it this night... maybe...!

For the usb, in fact the mass storage don't work with orbyte's generic and don't work with kext you post before... I will test

thanks a lot

put 4 gigs in just recently - both Vista and X SEE/ display 4 Gigs (XP only 3), but according to the German Computer magazine CT that is only a display trick so that people don't call Micorsoft and Apple .. ;). Also, in some command in the console of Vista it says that only 3 Gigs are actually used/ can be addressed. From what I know the Toshiba P100/ 105 BIOS does NOT have a fully implemented PAE which is neccessary for mapping the "surplus" 1 Gig which is dead in the 32 bit address room. If a BIOS update could ever solve that I don't know.

PAE is a work-around anyway, there are quite a few reports that carrying the dead 1 Gig beyond the 4 Gig range leads to unstability in many cases. The best way to adress not just 3 but 4 Gigs would be to swap the 32 bit CPU with a 64 bit one. But for me that is not worth the pain with my Toshi. I am content with the 2 x 2 Gig sticks running stable as 3 Gigs summed up, and don't mind the dead 1 Gig.

(during testing different AppleSMBIOS.kexts I came accross one or two which would only display 3 Gigs, so I am sure that's what even Mac OS is eventually able to fully address).

so guys, just wanted to let you know that some hope is on the horizon, with three more BIOSes with corrected DSDTs from other Toshiba P10x models just about to be published, one even for the Venice sound chip .. ;)

This time a restore_old_BIOS.bat will also be included - the purpose should be clear ..

hopefully tomorrow around late afternoon, but I cannot promise ..

nite

PAE is a work-around anyway, there are quite a few reports that carrying the dead 1 Gig beyond the 4 Gig range leads to unstability in many cases. The best way to adress not just 3 but 4 Gigs would be to swap the 32 bit CPU with a 64 bit one.

Hmmm... I thought that the chipset has this lousy feature - not being able to address whole 4gigs. Changing CPU... I wonder how hard would that be :D

Hello everybody,

Sorry for my poor english...

I want to help your good idea on trying to find a solution for our poor Tosh P100-105.

So I test the bios 1.01 under 2 distrib with no good results:

- Jas 10.5.2 :

* Problems with boot (solved with DVD + F8 + mach_kernel rd=disk0s1 -v).

* NO SOUND (nothing works !!!!!!)

* Usb2.0 seems to be working (I don't test it).

* I have Device ID : 0x1179FF31 and Audio ID : 12.

- iATKOS 10.5.4 : (More interesting things)

* Boot perfectly after applying your bios 1.01 with speedstep package (including kernel 9.2.0).

* Usb 2.0 not working.

* Sound seems to be working, i've heard music on the speakers but the volume is to low, it's like the hard volume on the front of the tosh is totally mute with no effect when i turn it on the left or right.

* I have all activate in the device manager in the sound manager (volumes and the keys "Fn + Esc" works perfectly) .

* I have Device ID : 0x1179FF31.

I try everything that you say in this topic ,with no results, so i have the same problem like Mentorek.

If you want more test, i can make it, if you need.

I wish to say a great THANK YOU, because you try to help all other users of tosh P100-105 which don't have sound.

Whitehorse

Edit : I just remenber that when I use "Fn + Esc" the sound is mute, but the volume is at 0%, and when I activate it the volume is always at 0%. And the other volume in Leo are at 100%. I'm not sure of that...

I confirm that tomorrow.

Edit 2 : I tested this morning and i'm sorry for my mistake, because the sound volume is equal to master volume. Sorry, Sorry...

Edit : I just remenber that when I use "Fn + Esc" the sound is mute, but the volume is at 0%, and when I activate it the volume is always at 0%. And the other volume in Leo are at 100%. I'm not sure of that...

I confirm that tomorrow.

It seems that no matter what everyone has this issue (master volume at 0%). I think you have the same (or similar?) problem that I'm experiencing atm. Good luck making your machine working!

@ mentorek: possible - even most likely thinking about it - that the pin config is NOT determined in the DSDT .. :P

which BIOS version were you running before you applied the modded 4.2 BIOS? Toshina changed something about EHCI (USB mass storage) from one BIOS version to another, I think with 4.0. Eversince you need a modded USB kext based on orByte method, like one of the two attached (3.0.8 sources from 10.5.2 corrected by Slice & compiled by Dmdimon, or 315.4.1 sources from 10.5.4 corrected & compiled by Slice).

ATTENTION: 315.4.1 is still in testing phase = you should only test this new kext in a Leo test install on a separate volume, NOT with your main working volume !!!!!

Hello bugs, tying to modify just a question, When I apply this kext and after this kext and since the beginning of trying to make an hackintosh with my P100, the pc after the restart is slow my usb mouse is slowly compare to usually and it's same for keyboard... It come back to normal when the pc increase in activity and when it come back in no cpu charge recome slowly an idea?

No I didn't try compiling. I'll try doing my own version tomorrow.
hey mik,

you mean mod your dsdt, compile it to .aml and then merge it with Phoenix BE ?

Hello bugs, tying to modify just a question, When I apply this kext and after this kext and since the beginning of trying to make an hackintosh with my P100, the pc after the restart is slow my usb mouse is slowly compare to usually and it's same for keyboard... It come back to normal when the pc increase in activity and when it come back in no cpu charge recome slowly an idea?
sorry sebast33, honestly no idea .. :P

as announced here are some more modded BIOSes for specific models:

your model should match the modded BIOS as close as possible.

Read the readMe inside!

Before applying the BIOS, download this original Toshiba BIOS image and burn it to CD!

Good luck ;)

Thank you very much BugsBunny for your effort!!!!

I will test the p100-197 which is the most close of my hardware, and I will tell you what happen...

I found this in the version history for the bios Version 2.40 - 2006-09-07 :

Added the PCI_MEMORY_OPTIMIZATION option for 4GB of memory.

Updated the NVIDIA G73M VBIOS.

Added a ACPI 3.0 backlight control method for Windows Vista.

Added a CX20549 Pin configuration setting for Windows Vista.

Do you think this is useful for our p100...

Whitehorse

Thank you very much BugsBunny for your effort!!!!

I will test the p100-197 which is the most close of my hardware, and I will tell you what happen...

good luck :( !
Added a CX20549 Pin configuration setting for Windows Vista.

Do you think this is useful for our p100...

absolutely, indeed! You found out s.th. really profound there! Because (amongst other things) it is the pin configuration which determines the yes or the no for the sound chip to be recognized by the Azalia kext. The question is if the pin config is set in the DSDT or another part of the BIOS. It would be necessary to decompile the original 2.1, 2.4 and 3.3 wphs (because 2.4 was the BIOS version that gave most Linux users sound, and it again got broken with the following 3.3), then run two diffs (2.1 DSDT against 2.4, and 2.4 DSDT against 3.3. That way it would be possible to determine if the pin config is set in the dsdt, and it could then be altered right at the correct spot in the dsdt.

According to some sources in the net it appears to be a "muted channel in the dsdt which has to be unmuted", but I couldn't find details (sounds reasonable because what you guys are experiencing is a mute problem, because the sound icon and slider both show up).

@ the others:

• look here to see if there is a pre-modded DSDT for your specific Toshiba Laptop. If so, attach it to your next posting, including information about the version of the BIOS which served as the source for the dsdt + your exact Laptop model!
  • here is a great guide to mod the dsdt of your model's specific DSDT

I try the bios and no luck for me, my leopard is not making any sounds, maybe forever (surely not?).

But I search pre-modded dsdt tomorrow, and tell you the result.

Thanks you very very much BugsBunny for your time and effort.

Whitehorse

what's the exact model number of your Toshi? When it is switched off, flip it around, there is a label underneath, one line should read s.th. like PSPA3E or similar. The P100-253 is not in the list, so you should search the source code of the page for your model number instead 253 ..

My model number is PSPA0E - 039028FR (European site) or P100-ST1071 (Global Site).

And effectively, it's not on the DSDT site, so I try the method that you've done with the link but tomorrow.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I don't know if this help but I found this on google, for Linux :

"commit 82f30040ada635d5d42a244b6eb84607d9881f5a

Author: Tobin Davis <>

Date: Tue Feb 13 12:45:44 2007 +0100

[ALSA] hda-codec - More fixes for Conexant HD Audio support

Renamed Conexant 5045 to CX20549 (Venice) per Conexant Documentation

Renamed Conexant 5047 to CX20551 (Waikiki) per Conexant Documentation

Fixed automute on HP Laptops with CX20551 codec.

Fixed recording issues on Toshiba Satelite P100/P105 series laptops

Added HP DV8000, DV2000Z, Fujitsu Si1520 support

More work to be done on CX20549 based systems, but CX20551 Systems are

much better now."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Whitehorse

Hello,

I made my own modified dsdt.dsl for my Tosh. and it is attached with this post.

It's based on the version 4.30. Good or not good ?

So, the description is : - P100-253 - PSPA0E

- Bios 4.30

Please BugsBunny could you tell me what can you do with this, because i don't understand. I'm a newbie. Thanks !

Whitehorse

P100_253___PSPA0E.zip

whitehorse, there are too many compilation errors already when trying to compile the .dsl into a .aml with iasl, so even the iasl does not produce any dsdt.aml for the Phoenix BIOS Editor. You need to use iasl yourself and work the errors out 1x1!

I compiled a small but complete package (6.84 MB) with ReadMes, screenshots, tools and scripts for Win & some for OS X which should be self explanatory, so everybody can start extracting, correcting and compiling (Windows) their dsdt into a BIOS .wph, which then can be applied with Phoenix Win or DOS Phlash.

Here's the package: http://www.mediafire.com/?myd0mfn31mh

Good luck :)!

I've tried and succeed to compile and install a new modified bios...

BUT...

The installation is really slow (1 H), compared with a normal bios, and the screen is blinking constaltly and when i move my usb mouse.

Under OS X, on the movie at the begining, i heard the music, YES THE MUSIC, but it's chopping. And the screen is already blinking.

I'm so near of the OSX's Graal.

If anyone have an idea to help me, because I don't know where i can go to find a solution.

Whithorse.

PS 1 : Windows is working like with a non modified bios but with 2 unknown device.

PS 2 : I join tha original 4.30 dsdt.dat and my modified dsdt.dsl.

dsdt___P100_253.zip