Release for Toshiba Satellite P10x users: modded BIOS to try and activate Conexant sound chip

• Please log in to reply
369 replies to this topic

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,513 posts
yes, possible with WinPhlash. Just look at the files and you will figure it out .. :lol:

mentorek

mentorek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
Any new reports? Mine has the same problem with no matter which (modified) BIOS image I use.

geiman

geiman

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts
Nothing from me, no bios works and I have no sound in linux with the acpi trick. I wish I knew how/what they modified in order to correct it on bugs's laptop.

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
sorry to hear all that. Maybe there are some more compiled BIOSes on the way at some point. But is is nothing I can influence right now .. :)

sebast33

sebast33

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
hello all, I permit to write some lines.
to bugs: I tried the bios and no sound in leo and usb mass storage don't work but was working before...strange. I tried to install ubuntu and no sound with it, wheras with normal bios and xp in dual boot I have bios.... strange

to all:
http://www.csd.toshi...u...mp;x=61&y=6

See at this page I found all the versions of bios for p100-p105, I will test it...
But question which bios has a correct dsdt?

mentorek

mentorek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

hello all, I permit to write some lines.
to bugs: I tried the bios and no sound in leo and usb mass storage don't work but was working before...strange. I tried to install ubuntu and no sound with it, wheras with normal bios and xp in dual boot I have bios.... strange

to all:
http://www.csd.toshi...u...mp;x=61&y=6

See at this page I found all the versions of bios for p100-p105, I will test it...
But question which bios has a correct dsdt?

Despite the fact that this page shows me the 4.30 version only I can say that none of the publicly available versions starting from 1.70 had not been working for me in OSX. If you've read through probably you're already know that there is a theory that some of the updates overwrote some part of BIOS (not sure if it is DSDT but in Linux it seems to be the problem) that allows me and possibly other users to use the sound chip.
Wish you luck with flashing.

mentorek

EDIT:
I've forgotten to add that it might be related to pin config (in my case because I've got very silent sound). Or really whatever Toshiba had changed in their BIOS.

sebast33

sebast33

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
if you click on the button "+" before the name you can see that you have access to all the bios. I have a difficultie to understand why we can't downgrade the bios and come back to a "good" version. In fact, for me when you upgrade or downgrade the bios enterly is modfied not only a part of it?

mentorek

mentorek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

if you click on the button "+" before the name you can see that you have access to all the bios. I have a difficultie to understand why we can't downgrade the bios and come back to a "good" version. In fact, for me when you upgrade or downgrade the bios enterly is modfied not only a part of it?

OK, so I've tried 1.70, 2.10, 2.40, 4.00, 4.20, 4.30 but no go for me. Maybe you'll have better luck.

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,513 posts

look into the folder with the BIOS files, in there is a file bios.bak. Apply that, and you have your BIOS at the original state before the update.

Yes, the reason why the modded BIOS here isn't working is because the Conexant use altering pin configs depending on the Tohi lap one has. I do not know if ANY pin config can be corrected or adressed by modding the BIOS.

I have not yet found the time to mod the AppleHDA.kext yet. There is a step-by-step manual how to get it going on pretty much any Intel HDA based sound card, but it takes a couple of hours ..

OK, so I've tried 1.70, 2.10, 2.40, 4.00, 4.20, 4.30 but no go for me. Maybe you'll have better luck.

Tohiba NEVER supplies a complete BIOS as a public update, they only publish what has to be updated. Esp. the DSDT is usually left out in it's entirety, because it differs quite a bit from model to model. That's what the trouble is.

mentorek

mentorek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

look into the folder with the BIOS files, in there is a file bios.bak. Apply that, and you have your BIOS at the original state before the update.

Yes, the reason why the modded BIOS here isn't working is because the Conexant use altering pin configs depending on the Tohi lap one has. I do not know if ANY pin config can be corrected or adressed by modding the BIOS.

I have not yet found the time to mod the AppleHDA.kext yet. There is a step-by-step manual how to get it going on pretty much any Intel HDA based sound card, but it takes a couple of hours ..

Tohiba NEVER supplies a complete BIOS as a public update, they only publish what has to be updated. Esp. the DSDT is usually left out in it's entirety, because it differs quite a bit from model to model. That's what the trouble is.

I think DSDT part is not completely true. Using linux (without any dsdt patches), one can dump /proc/acpi/dsdt to a file and then decompile it. It's always looking the same. And Toshiba had never confirmed (nor denied) that they are only using differential updates of the BIOS. My guess is that the part that is failing is somewhere else (like it was said, some pin configs or whatever) and might vary from one notebook version to another. I'll try to contact Toshiba service here in NL and ask them about complete BIOS 2.40 or reflashing of the chip by them.
I'll keep you updated.

sebast33

sebast33

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi bugs, I was on 4.3 and before 4.0. I will try this. Yesterday night I loaded 2.4 bios and I can see that I still conserve the line in advance settings from you bios strange.... I boot on live cd from ubuntu and sound come back I saved the dump, I will try it this night... maybe...!
For the usb, in fact the mass storage don't work with orbyte's generic and don't work with kext you post before... I will test
thanks a lot

mentorek

mentorek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts
OT:
Anyone installed 4GB of RAM in his Tosh? I mean T2x00 versions. Was OSX able to "see" whole memory (4gigs) instead of ca. 3.5?

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
put 4 gigs in just recently - both Vista and X SEE/ display 4 Gigs (XP only 3), but according to the German Computer magazine CT that is only a display trick so that people don't call Micorsoft and Apple .. ;). Also, in some command in the console of Vista it says that only 3 Gigs are actually used/ can be addressed. From what I know the Toshiba P100/ 105 BIOS does NOT have a fully implemented PAE which is neccessary for mapping the "surplus" 1 Gig which is dead in the 32 bit address room. If a BIOS update could ever solve that I don't know.

PAE is a work-around anyway, there are quite a few reports that carrying the dead 1 Gig beyond the 4 Gig range leads to unstability in many cases. The best way to adress not just 3 but 4 Gigs would be to swap the 32 bit CPU with a 64 bit one. But for me that is not worth the pain with my Toshi. I am content with the 2 x 2 Gig sticks running stable as 3 Gigs summed up, and don't mind the dead 1 Gig.

(during testing different AppleSMBIOS.kexts I came accross one or two which would only display 3 Gigs, so I am sure that's what even Mac OS is eventually able to fully address).

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
so guys, just wanted to let you know that some hope is on the horizon, with three more BIOSes with corrected DSDTs from other Toshiba P10x models just about to be published, one even for the Venice sound chip .. ;)

This time a restore_old_BIOS.bat will also be included - the purpose should be clear ..

hopefully tomorrow around late afternoon, but I cannot promise ..

nite

mentorek

mentorek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

PAE is a work-around anyway, there are quite a few reports that carrying the dead 1 Gig beyond the 4 Gig range leads to unstability in many cases. The best way to adress not just 3 but 4 Gigs would be to swap the 32 bit CPU with a 64 bit one.

Hmmm... I thought that the chipset has this lousy feature - not being able to address whole 4gigs. Changing CPU... I wonder how hard would that be :D

whitehorse

whitehorse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Hello everybody,

Sorry for my poor english...

I want to help your good idea on trying to find a solution for our poor Tosh P100-105.

So I test the bios 1.01 under 2 distrib with no good results:

- Jas 10.5.2 :
* Problems with boot (solved with DVD + F8 + mach_kernel rd=disk0s1 -v).
* NO SOUND (nothing works !!!!!!)
* Usb2.0 seems to be working (I don't test it).
* I have Device ID : 0x1179FF31 and Audio ID : 12.

- iATKOS 10.5.4 : (More interesting things)
* Boot perfectly after applying your bios 1.01 with speedstep package (including kernel 9.2.0).
* Usb 2.0 not working.
* Sound seems to be working, i've heard music on the speakers but the volume is to low, it's like the hard volume on the front of the tosh is totally mute with no effect when i turn it on the left or right.
* I have all activate in the device manager in the sound manager (volumes and the keys "Fn + Esc" works perfectly) .
* I have Device ID : 0x1179FF31.

I try everything that you say in this topic ,with no results, so i have the same problem like Mentorek.

If you want more test, i can make it, if you need.

I wish to say a great THANK YOU, because you try to help all other users of tosh P100-105 which don't have sound.

Whitehorse

Edit : I just remenber that when I use "Fn + Esc" the sound is mute, but the volume is at 0%, and when I activate it the volume is always at 0%. And the other volume in Leo are at 100%. I'm not sure of that...

I confirm that tomorrow.

Edit 2 : I tested this morning and i'm sorry for my mistake, because the sound volume is equal to master volume. Sorry, Sorry...

mentorek

mentorek

InsanelyMac Geek

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 153 posts

Edit : I just remenber that when I use "Fn + Esc" the sound is mute, but the volume is at 0%, and when I activate it the volume is always at 0%. And the other volume in Leo are at 100%. I'm not sure of that...

I confirm that tomorrow.

It seems that no matter what everyone has this issue (master volume at 0%). I think you have the same (or similar?) problem that I'm experiencing atm. Good luck making your machine working!

whitehorse

whitehorse

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts
Thanks you, mentorek, for your support,

I've try all other solutions but it already cannot work.

So, i just wait for new bios that will be release by BugsBunny.

Whitehorse

PS : I edit my post #57

BugsB

BugsB

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • 1,513 posts
I have time to release two more BIOSes for Waikiki and one for Venice Sunday around noon.

mentorek, have you tried a BIOS compile :P ?

sebast33

sebast33

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
cool bugs, I'm trying right now to compil an azalia and apple hda but for nothing probably....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   PHP hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy