Release for Toshiba Satellite P10x users: modded BIOS to try and activate Conexant sound chip

BuXb

375 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

I have a toshiba p100-434 that i tried updating the bios of, but, i must have used the wrong one as now the thing won't POST.

It switches on but thats as far as it gets, nothing more.

Anyone got any advice on how to restore the bios in this situation?

Thanks

oli

Hi. I also have troubles with my Toshi P-100-257... I can't restore original BIOS (the DMI part) anymore. If You find the way to restore it, please let me know.

With great respect, jazzminos.

Modified BIOS to try and activate the Conexant sound chips in models of the Toshiba P10x series

Thanks! I patched my P100 PSP MA502C and now the GPU fan stays on and my laptop stays cool. Still working on trying to get the audio to work though!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I've been trying to get our beloved soundchip to work for 2 days now. I've added some extra parts into DSDT, tried different combinations in AppleHDA.kext and got some nice infos in both System Profiler and IORegExplorer.

Today I've updated to 10.5.7 and to my surprise I even got more interesting nodes in IORegExplorer (see screenshot attached). Looks like I'm getting close? :)

Anyway, I thought anyone might be interested...

Cheers,

mentorek

ioregscreenshot.th.jpg

systemprofilerscreensho.th.png

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi, Mentorek!

Nice news... But the other theme... I've flashed latest original BIOS 4.70. As I described earlier the screen and mouse is blinking every time. BUT!!! After I disabled one core of my Core Duo CPU in BIOS everything went normal :( Do You have any ideas how to fix this... I don't think that working with Core Solo is a good idea :P You see... I thought that there is a problem with my BIOS flashing. But... Now I think that there is something is my system... Maybe some driver needs to be installed or some driver needs to be removed :) I've tried 10.5.5 with Voodoo kernel and pathed ACPI and 10.5.6 with stock kernel and completely stock ACPI + Disabler.kext + Open Halt Restart.

Hi! I've done DSDT patching with original BIOS 4.70. My graphics works perfect now!!! With stock kexts. And my network started to work. That was the great problem in 10.5.6. But still no sound... VoodooHDA causes kernel panic even if compiled by myself. Azalia gives no sound. Waiting for solution.

DSDT patching is absolutely amazing!

Hi! I've done DSDT patching with original BIOS 4.70. My graphics works perfect now!!! With stock kexts. And my network started to work. That was the great problem in 10.5.6. But still no sound... VoodooHDA causes kernel panic even if compiled by myself. Azalia gives no sound. Waiting for solution.

DSDT patching is absolutely amazing!

Thank you! I had no sound on my toshiba, after applying dsdt patch and modded Bios and was no sound yet, read your signature and decided to took out 1gb of ram, leaving just one (had 2x1gb) booted and sound works! :( Thanks! I was losing hope on my toshiba P100-103 :P

Does anyone has bluetooth problems? Or anyone got the battery meter running? Tried all bundles and kexts and always shows no batteries available... Thanks!

Hi. I have Bluetooth problem too... It work only AFTER booting to Win... If I boot directly to Mac it doesn't work.

Battery meter work fine with one of the kexts (b15???)... I'm in Windows now. I can't upload it at the moment.

I have another great problem!!! NEED HELP!!! I have a terrible overheating in 10.5.7 and 10.5.6. It seems that fans don't work at all ;) Any heavy CPU load leads to CPU temperature rise up to 83 degrees :D Then graphics falls... In Windows I have 54-55 degrees. Removing AppleACPITermal & AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement doesn't help. VoodooPower is installed and works, but no result. ik8fan is installed, but it seems that it doesn't work either :) Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks for reply.

Hi. I have Bluetooth problem too... It work only AFTER booting to Win... If I boot directly to Mac it doesn't work.

Battery meter work fine with one of the kexts (b15???)... I'm in Windows now. I can't upload it at the moment.

I have another great problem!!! NEED HELP!!! I have a terrible overheating in 10.5.7 and 10.5.6. It seems that fans don't work at all ;) Any heavy CPU load leads to CPU temperature rise up to 83 degrees :D Then graphics falls... In Windows I have 54-55 degrees. Removing AppleACPITermal & AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement doesn't help. VoodooPower is installed and works, but no result. ik8fan is installed, but it seems that it doesn't work either :) Does anyone know what to do?

Thanks for reply.

Got similar problem with BT and CPU temperature.

I've tried to "enable" BT in DSDT somehow but I think there is some sort of firmware being loaded by Windows (or Linux) that is actually "enabling" it somehow.

As for battery meter I use VoodooBattery.kext

I have problems With VoodooPower though. After a certain time of inactivity it somehow results with Kernel Panic...

Overheating is the MAIN problem... I can't do practically anything. I can't even do a permissions repair... I've installed some old kexts from here - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=43184 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101271&hl=CPU%20temperature&st=220) . And after that I failed to boot in normal boot I've tried to boot with -x and I had my fans working!!! But after that there was no success. Something prevents fans from working. This happens right after some kext gets loaded.

Overheating is the MAIN problem... I can't do practically anything. I can't even do a permissions repair... I've installed some old kexts from here - http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php...st&id=43184 (http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=101271&hl=CPU%20temperature&st=220) . And after that I failed to boot in normal boot I've tried to boot with -x and I had my fans working!!! But after that there was no success. Something prevents fans from working. This happens right after some kext gets loaded.

For me the kexts are actually working but I'm still using 4.20 BIOS or something...

Check out my DSDT.aml - maybe that would help you. It's not perfect but at least (partially?) working.

DSDT.aml.zip

Hi, mentorek!

What kexts are working? That what I mentioned above? I can't boot with them... Maybe I need to do permissions repair... But I'll need to boot from DVD... With iATKOS 5i DVD all my fans work fine :whistle:

I'll test Your DSDT override... And... Did You test Chameleon 2? Maybe I need to change the bootloader? I'm using EFI 9.

It seems that we need a completely new approach to ACPI... Maybe completely new drivers. Or we need a further development of VoodooPower to get fan control. Or maybe a special application like ik8fan, but with wider laptop support, not only Dell.

Maybe we need to write about this situation to Superhai... It is possible that he will take this problem into consideration during new version of VoodooPower development.

Hi, mentorek!

What kexts are working? That what I mentioned above? I can't boot with them... Maybe I need to do permissions repair... But I'll need to boot from DVD... With iATKOS 5i DVD all my fans work fine ;)

I'll test Your DSDT override... And... Did You test Chameleon 2? Maybe I need to change the bootloader? I'm using EFI 9.

It seems that we need a completely new approach to ACPI... Maybe completely new drivers. Or we need a further development of VoodooPower to get fan control. Or maybe a special application like ik8fan, but with wider laptop support, not only Dell.

Maybe we need to write about this situation to Superhai... It is possible that he will take this problem into consideration during new version of VoodooPower development.

I'm using AppleACPI kexts and also VoodooBattery as VoodooPower results with Kernel Panics.

For me CPU fan is working - it even speeds up when CPU usage is going up.

I cannot find a way to test GPU fan... it's working during the boot, and I think it's blowing all the time but with a really low speed - I can barely feel it.

From what I've seen VoodooPower is just scaling the frequency and voltage of the CPU, I don't know (and I don't think) if it does touch fans at all.

Let's see what would change for you after DSDT.aml I've provided.

BTW. I'm using Chameleon 2 RC1 (build 438 or something). I don't know if there are any newer versions available.

Now my fan works in normal mode!!! Chameleon does wonderful thing... How to enable -v verbose mode in it? I am completely new to this boot loader. Now my temperature with no load is about 53-54 degrees and with heavy load (permissions repair) njt higher than 62-63 degrees :D Wonderful! Thanks.

I'm going to update to 10.5.7 now and check if it works.

Thanks again.

Success on 10.5.7!!! I've noticed that fan stops at USB controller detection! When I downloaded and installed newest USBFamily drivers from here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029 my fans began to work absolutely fine. 49-50 degrees when slightly loaded. That is absolutely clear! USB is greatly involved in ACPI sleep-weakup functions... And thus if there is no driver loaded ACPI doesn't work correctly.

Unfortunately it doesn't work in 10.5.7.

I don't know how to boot with verbose mode... Frankly I didn't need it.

I'm on 10.5.7 now. Try to downgrade do 4.20 BIOS and see what happens...

Gotta check those USB kexts. Thanks for a hint.

Success on 10.5.7!!! I've noticed that fan stops at USB controller detection! When I downloaded and installed newest USBFamily drivers from here - http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=117029 my fans began to work absolutely fine. 49-50 degrees when slightly loaded. That is absolutely clear! USB is greatly involved in ACPI sleep-weakup functions... And thus if there is no driver loaded ACPI doesn't work correctly.

Could you please upload this kext somewhere (rapidshare/mediafire/...)? I cannot download it from the link provided by Slice.

Thanks

Hi. To enter verbose mode simply enter -v on OS selection screen :D ))))))

Here's the kext http://rapidshare.com/files/237347865/IOUS...y.kext.zip.html

I noticed that my method works but not every time I boot... And my ethernet work not always too... Sometimes kext is not loaded. There are some errors.

Hey,

Thanks for the kext, I've already installed it. No difference for me (I've been using PCGenUSBsomething.kext) for quite some time.

I'm not using ethernet so I cannot tell. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.

As for verbose mode... I have only a white progress bar during OS loading. No usual console messages.

Maybe I need to enable themes and stuff... :D

cheers,

mentorek

Hey,

Thanks for the kext, I've already installed it. No difference for me (I've been using PCGenUSBsomething.kext) for quite some time.

I'm not using ethernet so I cannot tell. I haven't had any issues with it whatsoever.

As for verbose mode... I have only a white progress bar during OS loading. No usual console messages.

Maybe I need to enable themes and stuff... :(

cheers,

mentorek

I've managed to get Bluetooth to work. Don't know for how long though...

bluetoothsyspref.th.png

Anyway, I've tried probably most of the different settings with regards to our beloved Conexant and I've minimized "Sound assertion" errors down to 4. Interestingly, when AppleHDA is being loaded during boot I cannot unload it later. It's complaining that some parts of it do have some instances - I assume those are busy or something.

Please write Your install configuration... I use:

1. iAtkos 5i 10.5.5 as install DVD with:

a) EFI 9 bootloader (I install Chameleon 2 RC1 later)

:P Apple Decrypt

c) SMBIOSEfi MacBook Air 1.1 by ChunNanh

d) Disabler.kext

e) OpenHalt Restart. But it seems that it is needed.

f) stock kernel

g) fully stock ACPI

j) efi string for GMA950

i) Your DSDT.aml to get graphics work

2. Original 10.5.6 Combo Update.

BUT the last time I installed... My system start to fall with no root device error just after installing of IOPCFamily and IOPCIFamily. It says that there is error with ACPIPCI.

And I can't understand Chameleon options... Do we need to change something? Do we need to to use South Bridge kexts?