Build a Perfect Mac for less than $250

780 posts in this topic

so i tried to install Parallels 4 today, and it refused because I dont have hardware virtualization on my computer. anybody have a clue about that? or is that not supported on the motherboard?

Does Parallels 4 require the processor to have VT support?

In the Atom family, only the Z520, Z530, and Z540 chips have VT. D945GCLF uses the 220; D945GCLF2 uses the 330.

Well after trying a number of distros/updates and a lot of trial and error, I've found the easiest way to get Leopard working 100% on the D945GCLF. This method goes right to 10.5.6 with 100% working graphics and no mouse tearing - PLUS it enables the input for the onboard sound card.

First, get the iPC 10.5.6 beta distro. Follow the instructions with the distro to select kernels and other files including just the drivers for the hardware being used. For the D945GCLF, that's the GMA950 video, the Intel ICHx chipset, ALC662 sound and RTL1000 network. Also be sure to install the kext helper add-on from the install DVD.

After the install finishes go here: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=143340

Download the V4 drivers from the first post and then download this DSDT file: http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=42573

Install the kexts and put the DSDT file in the root. Reboot.

A BIG thanks to everyone contributing to this thread - it's absolutely amazing to see how far this project has come!

A couple issues with your method.

1. Sound doesn't work with that codec

2. Restart doesn't work

It might just be me but I doubt it seeing that were all using the same motherboard here. Can someone tell me what audio driver the D945GCLF(2) uses? Since I was using Kalyway 10.5.2, I never actually had to select the kext. Now I'm stuck without and its really annoying.

Just wanted to say Big Thanks to MrFlooD and to Kaly. I tried two other distros and this is the combo that works! Audio, ethernet, usb, trackball, mice, keyboard, display, what else is there? Oh yes, it only took about 20 minutes to get the usb wireless working (with help from these forumns). This made my re-intro to MAC very pleasant.

And, btw, this is a $90 Hack, the board and the 2GB. Reused Antec case and quiet 300 W powersupply, 80 GB hard drive, TDK DVD burner, trackball, mice, keyboard, Viewsonic A90, and Belkin usb wireless. The old mobo had served for ***10 years***, Asus P2B with Celeron 1.4 most recently.

2. Restart doesn't work

It might just be me but I doubt it seeing that were all using the same motherboard here. Can someone tell me what audio driver the D945GCLF(2) uses? Since I was using Kalyway 10.5.2, I never actually had to select the kext. Now I'm stuck without and its really annoying.

@ h8tr: alc662. None of the codec dumps (including mine from my board) work with the hdapatcher. I'm working on a custom patched kext. Should be around soon. You can pm me 4 progress

*edit* azalia audio works for rear out only. Remove hdaenabler and alcinject kexts and put a vanilla applehdaaudio.next in place or it may not work.

I used the combo update to upgrade to 10.5.3 and everything works great. I tried to find a link for the other stuff on Biketown's website, but there is no link. How can I upgrade to 10.5.6 or should I just stick with 10.5.3. I have ilife 08 and 09 and I know you need 10.5.6 for ilife 09. Any help for this noob would be greatly appreciated.

so ive read that i need 10.5.6 to instal the new ilife 09 :) .... so is there any word on a safe way to update this system to 10.5.6 im on kalway 10.5.5 and i have the single core moboard...thanks

The boot 132 disk for the dual core board works well with some minor issues. That would let you do a retail install and update it to 10.5.6. That's what I did and there's a post about my adventure with the boot 132 and the pack that iSynapse made. If you need some help with it post in here, it emails me when there are replys to this topic.

Sorry if this has already been discussed...

I wanted to boot from a USB flash drive (Ubuntu) but it gave me boot error even though I had enabled "Boot USB Device First" in the boot menu of the BIOS.

The solution I found was to change "USB Mass Storage Emulation Type" to "All Fixed Disc"

Maybe its related to what version of the BIOS you have on your D945GCLF2, but for me, this works.

I am having similar problems with XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install. Everything works right out of the box with the exception of sound. I am in the process of giving Kalaway a shot. Sure would have been nice to get XxX to work :)

I am having similar problems with XxX_10.5.6_Leo_Install. Everything works right out of the box with the exception of sound. I am in the process of giving Kalaway a shot. Sure would have been nice to get XxX to work :)

Use Azalia instead of ALC662 to get audio working. You wont have mic input but it will get you basic sound.

That is true. I canceled the Kalaway installation midway and gave XxX another shot. As I said before, everything but the sound works right out of the box - with the added bonus of it already being 10.5.6. No jumping though hoops to get updates or even patching to get working video. Using this driver enables audio, but you lose the Mic input. According to the first post though...

Problem:

Microphone input does not work

Fix:

No fix currently

... if you used Kalaway, chances are you never had it to begin with. Everything is running smooth as butter now.

;)

This thread should probably be updated if possible by Mr. Flood with 10.5.6 install instructions either using XxX 10.5.6 or iPC 10.5.6 seeing as they are the most current distros out there. Installation is simple and their no system updates required to be current.

This thread should probably be updated if possible by Mr. Flood with 10.5.6 install instructions either using XxX 10.5.6 or iPC 10.5.6 seeing as they are the most current distros out there. Installation is simple and their no system updates required to be current.

Thanks to iSynapse and his work on the D94GCLF2 board. I managed to get Retail Leopard running on the D94GCLF board. Here is the link to my version of the driver pack, tested and updated(downgraded?) to work with the D94GCLF instead of the D94GCLF2. Hope it helps someone.

The problem with using these distros over a retail install is that when an official apple update comes along (to 10.5.7 say), then you have to sit there and wait until the distro is updated or do messy patching to get up to date. Retail installations allow you to use system update and replace a driver or two and you're done.

There are instructions out there for both the D945GCLF and the D945GCLF2 for real retail installs. I don't know why people don't do it.

There are instructions out there for both the D945GCLF and the D945GCLF2 for real retail installs. I don't know why people don't do it.

If I could find a super watered down guide to follow - I would be all over that. The problem is that when I start reading guides for Boot-132 it goes over my head. With XxX all I have to do is pop in the DVD and check off my hardware from a list. No mess.

;)

I just came across an interesting article, reviewing a high-end HTPC computer that uses the D945GCLF2 mobo/cpu combo.

It has some HD video playback tests that may be of some interest to folks here, starting on page 4 of the article.

Check out the article, HERE

The reason I found this, is because I was looking for info about cooling solutions for the HackBox MediaServer that I just built. I am getting CPU temps of 54 degrees C at idle with the top of the case on, and 51 degrees with it off. I haven't even tried to put any kind of a load on it, as the idle temps are way too freakin' high to begin with. BTW, this is all housed in an Apex MI-008 case.

Here's my plan to reduce the temps:

~I am looking for a replacement copper heatsink. If anyone can point me to one that will work with this and is low-profile, please let me know.

~I want one of the Scythe "Mini Kaze" fans suggested earlier in this thread, as the stock one sound like there is a miniature Harley climbing a hill inside the case.

~I will put in a PCI slot fan.

~The side hard drive slot is right in front of the hottest part of the board. Bad idea. I've got two 1Tb drives in the case; one in the 3 1/2" floppy bay, and the other in the side HDD bay. I am going to get a 5 1/4" bay to 3 1/2" HDD adapter, and move the side HDD to the optical drive bay. This will allow more airflow across the board.

~Last but not least, I will use some Arctic Silver 5 to attach whatever heatsink I can find.

The temp issue is the last hurdle that I really need to cross to make this an ideal Media Server. I am using a Mac Mini as a front end, but I think this box would also make an OK front end (well, unless you want 1080p) If the noise issue can be addressed.

~Argh

Just to follow up on this, here's what I wound up doing:

I had gotten a replacement fan from Newegg, made by Evercool. It was supposed to be quiet. I picked it over the mini-kaze because a. it was available on Newegg, while the mini-kaze was out of stock, and b. it came with a 3 pin plug, which I thought would allow the fan to adjust it's speed based on the temps. It worked OK for about 2 weeks, then became very loud, possibly more so than the original fan. I just replaced it with the mini-kaze, which I got on e-bay, and I have to say, the noise difference is tremendous. I can hardly hear the mini-kaze at all. The only caveat with the mini-kaze, is that it has no sensor, so the rpm does not show up in the hardware monitoring section of the bios. This does not seem to affect functionality though.

When I replaced the fan the first time, I went ahead and took off the heatsinks from both the cpu and the northbridge, and replaced the thermal tape with some arctic silver 5.

I moved the hard drives to the 3.5" floppy slot and the 5 1/4" optical slot as I had planned(using some adapter brackets that I bought on Amazon), This freed up the space right in between the vent holes and the cpu. I passed on the pci slot fan, and instead did this: I then bought a silent 120mm fan, and it popped right in that spot where the hdd was originally supposed to go. I tried it both ways, but wound up having it blow across the heatsink, rather than out of the case. I should mention, that I had to bend down a ridge of metal on the bottom of the case where the hdd originaly slid in, for the fan to fit properly.

server-fan.jpg

I looked around for some copper heatsinks to replace the cpu and northbridge heatsinks with, but did not find anything too inspiring. All of the above modifications have lowered the idling temps a modest 5 degrees or so, down to around 49 degrees C from 54. Not as much as I would have liked, but you can only do so much.

Anyway, thats my story on the cooling. As I've mentioned in other posts, you can read the whole story on this build on my blog.