779 replies to this topic

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts
type "uname -a" in the terminal to get kernel version

Maybe my problem is that I've selected "TimeMachineFix" during Kalyway 10.5.2 install. I suppose that I have a patched "IONetworkingFamily" kext. Can someone provide me the original version?

clockworx

clockworx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
Does sleep work? I guess I could worry about SpeedStep too but with the Atom it barely seems like there is a point :D

maccompaq

maccompaq

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 85 posts
Mr Flood, please tell me the best place to get Kalyway 10.5.2, how long to download with a cable Internet download speed of 10mbps, explain the use of ISO software, and the procedure to burn the DVD. I am hoping to build the Intel Atom as a first try and then a much faster unit after that. Thanks.
leroiun@gmail.com

MrFlooD

MrFlooD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Time Machine was on all last night and zero problems.However, it isn't able to make a successful backup. I tried backing up to another partition and a USB key and I get this error "backup volume could not be found".I am going to look for a fix now.

Does sleep work? I guess I could worry about SpeedStep too but with the Atom it barely seems like there is a point ;)

Sleep works 100%, no worries there.I got my copy of Kalaway off newsgroups. I am sure you can use P2P and Torrent sites as well

EDIT:

Time Machine Update

Just tested the ToH IONetworkingFamily.kext and not only did it NOT work, but it also took out my eathernet connections. Glad I backed up my original Kext file.

I am going to test another solution now.

Update 2:

I have tested almost every Time Machine fix I could find. Still no luck. If anyone gets this working please post.

urig-herb

urig-herb

InsanelyMac Sage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 296 posts

Update 2:

I have tested almost every Time Machine fix I could find. Still no luck. If anyone gets this working please post.

Ok, it turned out that my kernel panics where related to the Ralink driver of my USB-WLAN stick. No I'm using ethernet and run OS X for more than 10 hours without any problem.

Now I've ordered a ASUS WL-138g V2 card to get native (Airport) WiFi.

My time machine backup ran perfectly! I am using the TimeMachineFix_ionetworkingfamily from the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD.

Did I mention how amazing this system works? :)

MrFlooD

MrFlooD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Ok, it turned out that my kernel panics where related to the Ralink driver of my USB-WLAN stick. No I'm using ethernet and run OS X for more than 10 hours without any problem.

Now I've ordered a ASUS WL-138g V2 card to get native (Airport) WiFi.

My time machine backup ran perfectly! I am using the TimeMachineFix_ionetworkingfamily from the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD.

Did I mention how amazing this system works? :shock:

Glad to hear it :(

I am going to try to install the fix now. If it works for me, I will update the Tutorial.

Edit:

Is there a way to install the fix after I have already installed the OSX? I don't know how to explore the DVD and find the fix.

Thanks for the help.

clockworx

clockworx

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts

Glad to hear it :)

I am going to try to install the fix now. If it works for me, I will update the Tutorial.

Edit:

Is there a way to install the fix after I have already installed the OSX? I don't know how to explore the DVD and find the fix.

Thanks for the help.

You need something to set Finder to show invisible Folders....I believe Onyx has the option to, though I could be wrong. Once you do that, you can see all the invisible folders on the DVD. I believe that the install packages are usually in

/System/Installation/Packages

on the install DVD. Just hunt around and find the right one, and double click to install it.

DigitalNinja

DigitalNinja

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
So I bought this system with 1 GB ram. SATA 250gb hard drive and pioneer SATA DVD burner. I'm having a problem installing it. There is only 1 option when it boots which is to boot off of my DVD which as kalyway 10.2.what ever in it. So I boot, a lot of loading text scrolls by. Then it stops and gives me a kernel panic. The error is something like 0x0000002 I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... How do I get by it?

MrFlooD

MrFlooD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

So I bought this system with 1 GB ram. SATA 250gb hard drive and pioneer SATA DVD burner. I'm having a problem installing it. There is only 1 option when it boots which is to boot off of my DVD which as kalyway 10.2.what ever in it. So I boot, a lot of loading text scrolls by. Then it stops and gives me a kernel panic. The error is something like 0x0000002 I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong... How do I get by it?

Hmmm... Well I used an IDE DVD drive and that is really the only thing I can think of. Try change the SATA mode in the BIOS to IDE.

DigitalNinja

DigitalNinja

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
Hmm... Does anyone have an idea of what the error means?

MrFlooD

MrFlooD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts
Sweet! installed the patch and now it works perfectly. I will update the original tutorial to make sure people install the fix with OSX.

Thanks for all the help guys.

DigitalNinja - I can only recommend you try using an IDE DVD drive. Or reburn your Kalyway disk.

DigitalNinja

DigitalNinja

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Just Joined
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I'm using a HDD that already had stuff on it. Does it make any difference?

MrFlooD

MrFlooD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

I'm using a HDD that already had stuff on it. Does it make any difference?

Shouldn't, It should still allow you to boot into the install and format from there.

vbetts

vbetts

InsanelyMac Deity

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,606 posts
Here's a question though, how does the Atom platform and Osx86 deal with hd content?

MrFlooD

MrFlooD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Here's a question though, how does the Atom platform and Osx86 deal with hd content?

You will find HD testing and results on page 2 of this thread.

Cheers,

AK2007

AK2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts
Where do you guys see the "TimeMachineFix_ionetworkingfamily" option? I am using the "Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso" and I don't see this option. Am I using the correct iso?

hey guys what about firewire? the mobo doesn't includes one, but i've seen pretty cheap pci ones in newegg, since this mobo has one pci slot. firewire = time machine (been using it with an imac, already saved me twice big time, also makes switching macs a breeze). what do you think? is time machine working with osx86?

I used this FW card http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815265003. It is NEC based, and even ISight works on it right out of the box without any drivers, which is pretty much the compatibility test for me.

MrFlooD

MrFlooD

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Where do you guys see the "TimeMachineFix_ionetworkingfamily" option? I am using the "Kalyway_10.5.2_DVD_Intel_Amd.iso" and I don't see this option. Am I using the correct iso?I used this FW card http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815265003. It is NEC based, and even ISight works on it right out of the box without any drivers, which is pretty much the compatibility test for me.

Scrap this step. I will post the needed file when I get home tonight.

Cheers,

2twisty

2twisty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
I just built this machine yesterday for a new Hacintosh convert (kens97sto171). We used 2GB ram since the mobo only has 1 DIMM socket, and the mobo maxes out at 2GB. I'd recommend that for anyone building this machine--just max it out.

We also put a 400GB SATA drive in because we got one at our local computer store for $69.99.

So.. Here's my experience..

Some notes on this install to include in the instructions on page 1:

Partition the Hard Drive as MBR!

I used the defaults (GUID) and I couldn't get it to boot from the hard drive no matter WHAT I did. I tried about 5 different ways to fix the "requires the DVD to boot" problem, and the closest I got was a b0 error.

After installing the OS 3 times, I decided to try using MBR even though your instructions say to use the defaults. The 4th install (and 5 hours later than I started) it worked fine.

Also, there are GMA950 drivers right on the Kalyway 10.5.2 DVD that work fine - you can select them under Graphics drivers.

AK2007

AK2007

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 23 posts

Scrap this step. I will post the needed file when I get home tonight.

Cheers,

OK so I skipped this step, the system got built everything is working fine. Thank you very much for the clear instructions. I was going crazy trying to get clean instlall.

However I have run into one thing, after 10.5.4 update the system doesn't shut down all the apps close but I am left with a grey spinning wheel. Any suggestion on what to look for?

2twisty

2twisty

InsanelyMac Protégé

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts
I had the same problem. It seems to happen when an installer wants to cause a reboot. It happened several times while I was installing.

The solution I came up with as a "rule" for the user:

If an installer wants to reboot, tell it "no" then initiate a SHUT DOWN. That seems to always work. Once you restart after the shutdown, it will restart just fine if you (the user) tell it to restart.

Just remember-don't let an installer do the reboot--just do it manually.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

© 2014 InsanelyMac  |   News  |   Forum  |   Downloads  |   OSx86 Wiki  |   Mac Netbook  |   Web hosting by CatN  |   Designed by Ed Gain  |   Logo by irfan  |   Privacy Policy