Kalyway 10.5.4? When do you think it will be released?

Panarchy

39 posts in this topic

there should be a system.kext available for your kernel.

i'm no guru,,,,so try searching for how to find your kernel version and system kext versions,

if they mismatch,,,,either search for a matching kernel ,or system kext on the forums.

good luck :D

Are these updates absolutely necessary? I'm at 10.5.2 and hesistant to combo pkg as I have my system configured just right. I guess what i'm asking is that will I run into compatibility problems anytime soon??

I was a little hesitant at first, but I made a backup and tried the 10.5.3 Kalyway Combo Update and it worked fine on my 10.5.2 kalyway installation. Followed the instructions (make sure to not hit "Restart" until after you've run the other package) and rebooted to 10.5.3.

I'm patiently waiting for the Kalyway 10.5.4 update package. He makes it so easy.

Hi All

Successful update to 10.5.4 using software update. My system was at 10.5.3 thanks to kalyway update. I thought i would brave it and try the update and sure enough it worked.

Oddly enough after reboot i typed "uname -a" to see which kernel i was running. It repoted 9.2 by TOH, odd. I then rebooted and typed in "-f update -v" , now im running off the 9.4 vanilla kernel.

Good luck to all who attempt this.

Oh yeah specs

Aopen i975xa-YDG

Intel T7200 2GHZ oc'd @ 2.4GHZ

EVGA 7800GT

post-249780-1215797143_thumb.png

Went from Kaly 10.5.2 disk > Kaly 10.5.3 combo update (and followed the instructions in the thread) > 10.5.4 through normal apple software update. Working fine.

CI/QE no longer worked after combo, but answer in thread.

Gigabyte P35-DS3L

8800GT

C2D 2ghz

It was literally a brand new machine with first install so I had nothing to lose, but all is really solid now, Im very happy!

Krassi, can you please explain that to me? I am using Kalyway 10.5.2. to my knowledge there are several non-standard things that have been installed by Kalyway, including things like AppleSMBIOS.kext, NVinject, audio drivers for my mobo, etc.. Also the power handling kext I think was removed. Probably more, I don't know of a list that explains all the hacks. Additionally, a sleep kernel is used by default. All of that is on top of PC_EFI, which is basically the same thing as Chameleon. Chameleon does make it possible to use a completely vanilla kernel, but often people are not using the vanilla kernel and often they have various different custom tweaked drivers to work 100% well with their hardware. So if you then apply an update from Apple its going to overwrite some of those kext tweaks and leave you with something that might work or might not. That is how I understand it.

Just because you have Chameleon installed does not mean you can just apply the apple updates without concern.....unless I'm missing something.

Started with the Leo4Allv3 10.5.2 and updated using Kalyway 10.5.3 Combo update... then followed using 10.5.4 Software update. Everything works fine even since i didn't have to worry about Video drivers due to ATI HD3850.

Just curious though because now i'm having the 'White Menus' issue. Anybody else have the same problem? and can anybody help me with a fix for it, if there is one?

Are these updates absolutely necessary? I'm at 10.5.2 and hesistant to combo pkg as I have my system configured just right. I guess what i'm asking is that will I run into compatibility problems anytime soon??

The 10.5.3 is a big update from .2 -- it includes the Leopard Graphics update, and support for many new printers. The main reason I went to .3 was for the Brother Printer drivers, but as a bonus I got QE/CI working with my Intel GMA X3100 graphichs (although I had to use the 3100FB kext from the .2 install).

The 10.5.4 update seems pretty minor. According to apple, "The 10.5.4 Update is recommended for all users running Mac OS X Leopard and includes general operating system fixes that enhance the stability, compatibility and security of your Mac."

More info here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1994

For my money, if it ain't broke, don't try and fix it -- unless it's for a specific reason.