no sound after wake-up from sleep

BuXb

22 posts in this topic

on both, internal speakers and jack-out.

have tried different Azalia, different kernels, different PCI/ ACPI kexts = no go.

does that ring a familiar bell with somebody ??

Conexant HDA with Azalia out, more specs see my sig (if needed)

• 4 weeks later...
on both, internal speakers and jack-out.

have tried different Azalia, different kernels, different PCI/ ACPI kexts = no go.

does that ring a familiar bell with somebody ??

Conexant HDA with Azalia out, more specs see my sig (if needed)

it has trouble reloading the kext when it wakes up, mine does the same thing and i'm sure tons of others, i wrote a script that takes care of it, you just need to open apple script editor, drag the app onto the script editor icon in the doc, and edit the kext file to be the one you are using, also where it says username "root" password "root" , those 2 in quotes must be the system administrator username and password because you can't load kexts unless you're logged in as root. if you need help let me know. i just put it in my dock so when i wake my computer i just click on it and my sound is back, kind of annoying i know but then again it's not a real mac, hope it helps, let me know if it worked :)

mattejacob@mac.com

SoundFix_osx86.zip

matteiJ, thanks a lot for the hint and the file - I won't be at my Laptop for a little while, so it will take appr. a week or so before I can post back with a result :)

This is going to sound really dumb, but I have a similar problem, but I used Taruga's installer, so I don't know which kext i'm actually using for audio. Is there terminal command to find that out?

if you know what chipset your sound card is you can figure out what kernel it uses just by googling "nameofchipset osx86 kernel"

matteiJ, thanks a lot for the hint and the file - I won't be at my Laptop for a little while, so it will take appr. a week or so before I can post back with a result :)

ok let me know how it goes, i did notice one thing though with the app and that is that i get my sound back but no apple sound effects, it can be remedied by logging out and logging back in, but then again i really don't care about that aspect as long as my main sound is back so i can watch video and listen to music and stuff. i'll do some poking around to see if i can't fix that as well. but then again it may be just fine for you, everyones hackintosh isn't the same. that's just the minor glitch i have with mine. (and it doesn't do it every time, sometimes the sound effects come back just fine.)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I investigated this problem on my Toshiba U300 with ALC268.

I tried to develop kext which will fix issue after wake, without any success so far.

It seems that there is a problem of changing power states in HDA driver.

method getPowerState() for AppleHDAController class instance returns 1 before sleep and 0 after.

Manual enforcing powerstate to 1 doesn't work.

Basically, problem of wake/sleep is reproducible by calling methods changePowerStateTo(0) and then changePowerStateTo(1) , after this sound is disappear.

I believe that this is issue of broken ACPI in toshiba BIOS.

@antst: You maybe right but some of us have sound after sleep only at very low volume (and only on headphone jack) So you think that this may relate to a different problem than having no sound at all?

• 4 weeks later...

I have the "no-system-sounds-after-sleep" issue as well. I use USB Speakers.

These are my findings:

When i switch the audio output to internal and back to my USB Speakers, the System Sounds start working again :)

But how can this be automated?

Hope this helps anybody, at least i don't need to reboot anymore cause of this.

OK. I made a applescript which:

- selects line-out for system sounds

- plays "basso" as system-error-sound

- sets MY desired output device for system sounds

- sets "funk" as system-error-sound

For all this to work, GUI Scripting needs to be activated in the "Applescript-Utility". If you run the script in OS X other than German, you need to change the names of windows and tabs in the Script to your foreign names.

for example:

tell tab group 1 of window "Ton"

click radio button "Toneffekte"

=

tell tab group 1 of window "Sound"

click radio button "Soundeffects"

?!

Just a wild guess, as i have no english OS X ;)

tell application "System Preferences"
	   activate
	   set current pane to pane "com.apple.preference.sound"
   end tell
   tell application "System Events"
	   tell application process "System Preferences"

(* switch sound output to line-out *)

tell group 1
				   tell pop up button 1
					   click
					   click menu item 5 of menu 1
				   end tell
			   end tell
			   select row 2 of table 1 of scroll area 1
		   end tell

(* switch sound output back to desired device *)

tell group 1
				   tell pop up button 1
					   click
					   click menu item 7 of menu 1
				   end tell
			   end tell
			   select row 5 of table 1 of scroll area 1
		   end tell

end tell
	   tell application "System Preferences" to quit
	   tell me to activate
   end tell

Systemsound_activate.zip

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Here is my method. It automatically run an applescript in backround from terminal (using osascript command) automatically at wakeup.

I'm use the an applescript found in this site (not the german), and the Sleepwatcher app.

If your sound not work after wakeup, but mute on, then off fix this, this method will automate this for you.

1. Install sleepwatcher both packages.

2. It's need to be enabled the Enable access for assistive devices in the Universal access part of the System preferencies.

3. Download and unpack my attached files.

sound.zip

This files are invisible, so you will need an app to copy them to the root of your home folder. Pathfinder or Midnight commander do the job. Or you can use terminal to copy with the cp command. Unfortunately the os always made a folder to the unpacked files, this because need them copy. Maybe somebody can a simplest solution (installer package?).

Details:

Maybe you can use this metod, for other problems. The sleepwatcher can run boot or sleep scripts too, so there are many possibilites.

The applescript:

end tell
 tell process "System Preferences"
	 click checkbox "Mute" of first group of window "Sound"
 end tell
end tell
 end tell
end tell

It's quit after mute on and off.

Test with the script editor, if work. I'm save mine to my home folder and name it .soundscript.scpt .

Then install sleepwatcher both packages. This app use a file called .wakeup. This file is'nt exist after install sleepwatcher, its need to be created, and set its chmod to executable. This is in the root of your home folder.

The readme of sleepwatcher describe how, but i'm attach mine. The . (dot) in the front of the files name means it'll be invisible.

The .wakeup:

osascript .soundscript.scpt

If you use script that not in the root of the home folder it need to be write in its path.

The osascript command can run a script file from terminal.

Don't forget to be enabled the Enable access for assistive devices.

• 3 months later...
Here is my method. It automatically run an applescript in backround from terminal (using osascript command) automatically at wakeup.

I'm use the an applescript found in this site (not the german), and the Sleepwatcher app.

If your sound not work after wakeup, but mute on, then off fix this, this method will automate this for you.

1. Install sleepwatcher both packages.

2. It's need to be enabled the Enable access for assistive devices in the Universal access part of the System preferencies.

3. Download and unpack my attached files.

sound.zip

This files are invisible, so you will need an app to copy them to the root of your home folder. Pathfinder or Midnight commander do the job. Or you can use terminal to copy with the cp command. Unfortunately the os always made a folder to the unpacked files, this because need them copy. Maybe somebody can a simplest solution (installer package?).

Details:

Maybe you can use this metod, for other problems. The sleepwatcher can run boot or sleep scripts too, so there are many possibilites.

The applescript:

end tell
 end tell
end tell
 end tell
end tell

It's quit after mute on and off.

Test with the script editor, if work. I'm save mine to my home folder and name it .soundscript.scpt .

Then install sleepwatcher both packages. This app use a file called .wakeup. This file is'nt exist after install sleepwatcher, its need to be created, and set its chmod to executable. This is in the root of your home folder.

The readme of sleepwatcher describe how, but i'm attach mine. The . (dot) in the front of the files name means it'll be invisible.

The .wakeup:

osascript .soundscript.scpt

If you use script that not in the root of the home folder it need to be write in its path.

The osascript command can run a script file from terminal.

Don't forget to be enabled the Enable access for assistive devices.

so i just have this issus on my alc269 codec .i just do not follow what u do .would u post this method one by one step,so i could do as your pracitce!

thx a lot!