GeForce 200 series support

EGOvoruhk

638 posts in this topic

I would think that the final 10.5.7 will have support for GTX260/280 cards and is imminent, but if support is not there in the combo update, (as the later 10.5.7 installed on the Mac Pro build may be slightly newer) it should only be a case of getting the kexts from a new Mac Pro to gain support.

Looks like it's going to need 10.5.7 and a graphics update (like the 8800GT)

On the "Drivers & Downloads" tab: http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_quadr...for_mac_us.html

There is no way to get 260/280 on Leopard at the moment. You must have Snow Leopard. The earliest looks to be possibly 10.5.8. :)

I saw your earlier screen shot and am baffled how you got it.

1. Was this really on a Mac Pro and if so which model (I have 08)?

2. What exact sequence of steps did you perform to get these cards up?

3. Do you have monitors plugged in to both cards?

4. What is your power set up.

The reason I ask is that with an 8800GT in one slot and either a Zotac 260 or Palit 285 in the other I just get a grey screen of death when booting under the current Snow Leopard seed. Under 10.5.6 the GTX cards sort of register but do not do anything. Under bootcamp all is well with both cards recognized, so the hardware is plugged in OK. I am powered externally for the GTX.

Can you also confirm details like whether you have flashed the ROM, what kexts you have loaded and where you got them?

TA

Thanks for the update Nekas... so would that mean we will have to wait for someonw ith a 4800 Quadro to upload the drivers to a shre where the rest of us can use it?

Does anyone know if this is already a work in progress... also is 10.5.7 ready?

GPUhead,

I did not need to flash my GTX 280. I have 2 cards in my computer. My Hackintosh hardware specs for this are as follows:

Hackintosh and GeForce GTX 280:

Asus P5E3 Premium wireless@n X48 motherboard.

2x BFG GeForce GTX 280

Core 2 Quad

Snow Leopard 261

Working with GFX Strings

On the Asus board It will work fine but for some reason on many PC motherboards, you need to change the settings in the bios to boot from PEG 2 (THE SECOND CARD - IF YOU ARE USING 2 CARDS ONLY).

Real Mac Pro and GeForce GTX 280 and Snow Leopard:

I also had no problems getting this going in a Real Mac Pro as a second card by using NVDarwin 1024 mb. It cannot be in the first slot though, it must be in the second with any real mac card in the first slot. There must be a monitor connected to the first card at boot otherwise the card will set itself up as the second monitor each time and you cannnot see the menu bar or dock. In the Display preferences you can then change it to the main monitor and disconnect the second monitor from your real mac card or if you only have 1 monitor, simply unplug it from the mac card and into the GTX 280. It will then function perfectly.

Just did the step-up on my 260 to a 285, and can access OSX for the first time in months. Here's to hoping that there's drivers for GT200x cards in the next few weeks, so I can actually make use of the 285 *and* still do music in OSX...

However, I suspect support will be along soon in either 10.5.7 or 10.5.8. Unfortunately, Snow Leopard drivers are not backwards compatible with Leopard, they are just too different.

Is it possible to mod/ port this 1.6 driver into Leopard?

Maybe those pro outhere could do?

What say you?

Looks like the 285 is coming to the Mac: http://www.engadget.com/2009/04/29/nvidias...o-macs-in-june/

Yea i just saw that and posted my excitement there

i so wet my pants when i read that on the blog.

time to relax a bit on getting support heh...

i wished they'd release the drivers sooner though so people had support before it came out (and so people like us would have it sooner for the sake of sooner)

• 2 weeks later...

Now that 10.5.7 is out (as of an hour or so ago)...anyone know if it has drivers for GTX 2xx cards?

Update: Nevermind, I'm reading now that drivers are not included...I guess the only way to get drivers would be from Nvidia, when they release their ludicrou$ Quadro card... :wallbash:

Now that 10.5.7 is out (as of an hour or so ago)...anyone know if it has drivers for GTX 2xx cards?

Update: Nevermind, I'm reading now that drivers are not included...I guess the only way to get drivers would be from Nvidia, when they release their ludicrou$ Quadro card... :D

Damn, I thought it's going to be an easy one, been waiting months for this driver :hysterical:((( I need my mac!!!

i see every1 talking about drivers for GTx 260/280/285.. wat will become of the drivers for my GTX 295? :blink: . the wait is sure a long 1... got Os X 10.5.6 working fine just need the correct graphics driver.

I would imagine the GTX285 drivers will support the GTX260 just fine for most uses, it's the same gpu as the 285 (or 280 depending on whether your 260 is 55nm or not) with some of the cores disabled to increase their yield. 285 & Quadro are supposed to be here 'in June' so keep your fingers crossed.

I need to spend the time digging out the bits from my 9800gtx so that I can boot to VESA mode again (or build it back up to everything but QE/CI).

same here been waiting for months :)(( good old 8800GTS 512MB worked like charm, and I changed it to 260 :((

I was just wondering if someone could post a final consensus on the GTX260.

I've got everything working BUT hardware acceleration. I'm mainly just wondering how long I will have to wait to get full support.

Thanks