GeForce 200 series support

EGOvoruhk

638 posts in this topic

Can we hear from people who upgraded their gpu's?

My 8800GT died yesterday and the first thing that comes to mind is a 280 or 295 (as I dual boot Win7 for gaming).

My questions:

1- How do one actually upgrades the gpu? Do I change the card and then boot into OSX and install the drivers? Is it going to boot with the new card? Can I get to command line and install the driver from there if it fails to boot? Or do I have to install drivers first and then install the new card and boot back? All in all, what's the recommended way of upgrading a GPU in osx?

2- Nvidia has drivers for OSX on their website for the 2XX gpu series. Has anyone tested these?

For the record, I have an i7 920, EX58-UD3R, 6GB RAM, 550W PSU and I am running 10.6.4 vanilla (the kakewalk method).

If anyone could help I would very much appreciate it. Thanks in advance.

I booted up my computer today and when my log in screen came up, the resolution was set to 800x600. I logged in and went to change my resolution settings thinking something just got switched, when i went to look at the resolutions available, there were many more then i had ever had before, but my monitors was not listed. My monitors resolution is 1400x900. After going through trying other resolutions, i found that 1152x870 is the max size that works. I hooked up an old HP monitor (1024x768) so i could have a screen that worked.

I then went into my System Profiler to see if QE was enabled, and indeed it was, everything was still the same, just not the resolution. My com.apple.Boot.plist in my /Extra was also still in order. I played around with different commands in the .plist but no matter what i did, nothing would change. It is very odd, i moved the file completely out of the /Extra and nothing changed. (I should mention that my gray apple logo is the CORRECT resolution.

If anyone has any suggestions on how i may fix this, or maybe even completely reinstall my graphics card, i would greatly appreciate it.

It amazes me how these things happen literally overnight.

Hi, i have hackintosh MSI P45 NEO3-FR, NV 260 GTX, USB Sound, ONboard works also, i just disabled, iatkos s2 installed, without sleep enabler, and flawlessly upgraded to 10.6.4

my problem is, dunno its a problem, just saw on netkas.org screenshots, and there is a line in system profiler that: display : hardware accelerated. I dont have this line, is that problem ?

And my gtx260 is sp216 with 896mb ram, and system profiler shows 1024mb ram.

did some tests for opengl, works everything, 260 gtx opengl engine, fps around 40+

front row works, i read in other posts that if front row works, than QE/CI is ok.

Installed world of warcraft, works too, permanent 60 fps.

Is that a real problem ? Or i'm just whining ? :censored2: Yesterday i installed the new nvidia driver from nvidia.com, installed, rebooted, still working.

So the short question is: How to enable that hardware accelerated display, and how to enable proper identification in system profiler. Searched for new efi string, but Efi Studio is old, there is nothing about my card.

ps. installation was easy, everything worked oob with secondary sata controller (jmicron) disabled, installed HDD as IDE, with ahci install was slow as hell, after successful install i switched everything to ahci

Thanks you for answers, have a nice day !

Joe

Thank you, now my only problem is that the system profiler recognizes my card as GTX260 1024MB,

i found this article about efi strings, is it necessary for me to do that to get it recognized as GTX 260 896MB or i can leave it as is ?

sorry for my dumb questions, everything works on the system, but perfection is perfection :)

thanks

Edit: just added EFI string, and memory is correct now, thanks

sorry me Bad language :)

help chock up work 10.6.3, Video Card:

Nvidia GeForce GT 240 1024MB ZOTEC

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CA3&SUBSYS_114319DA&REV_A2

PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0CA3&CC_030000

h**p://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_wrapper&view=wrapper&Itemid=100025&lang=un

Hey all sorry if my topic isnt very different from all the others here, but I am having a very tough time getting my Palit Geforce GT 240 512mb card recognized in about this mac, I have read a lot of posts here and havent been ablr to find the right answers. Is there anybody that would be able to share their experiences with this or a similar card? I Have it sort of working now, but, I cant tell if its installed properly? I have the cuda drivers installed in preference pane and have tried efi studio using the 9800 GT 1024mb string in the drop down table. Also have tried NVenabler 64 by placing it in my extras folder, still after all this I still cannot get the card to be correctly recognized?

Is there anybody that is willing to help with this, I am sure a lot of people are in the same boat as I am.

Cheers and thanks for any and all replies, Plucka

GTS250 OpenGL 3.0

Hi guyz I'm Piyush Rawal and Here's my problem....

according to my graphic card manufacturer "Zotac" my card support OpenGL 3.2...

http://www.zotac.com/index.php?option=com_...025&lang=in

but when i test it with OpenGL extension viewer it always fails on 3.0,,, i don't know why.. :o

4815200687_6fb961fc23.jpg

4815835364_575dce87eb.jpg

4815844430_3e41a56b05.jpg

I am using aqua-mac's EFI string Method to get this card work,,, this is what system profiler shows

4815844742_7f88df610e.jpg

and sometimes there's also very minor lag in animations like when opening application folder from dock, Installing apps (that drag and drop part),,, but its very minor..!

I'm not sure whether it's a bug or that is how it works... I don't know.... Here's my xbench result.

4815256033_43dede9969.jpg

is this a bug or am i supposed to use some other new/better method to make this card work???

Thank you and please ignore my fail English i know it sucks :(

P.S. I am using Snow leopard 10.6.3

Hi guys!

I'm new here and after looking on the site it inspired me to make my pc into a Hackintosh!

I have got everything working and OSX is running very smoothly except when it comes to using steam and playing Half-life 2!

At the moment I am only getting an avrage of about 15 FPS in combat scenes and in just a room I appear to be getting about 30fps which is extremely low considering on windows I get well over 100fps.

I know that OSX is not as good as Microsoft's offerings for gaming but I at least expected it to be playable!

So my question to you guys is....

Has any one else had this issue?

If yes then please tell me how to fix it!

Here are my hardware specs:

Intel Quad2Core Q6600 OC to 3Ghz

Asus Command socket 775 motherboard

4GB Corsair dominator XMS2 8500

XFX nvidia GTX 280

Thanks guys!

OK people,

I am using Adobe Premiere CS5 and Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 4870 1GB.

At the moment I am profiting only from Software Mercury playback engine without hardware acceleration.

To be able to use Hardware accelerated Mercury playback engine you need to have NVidia Card with CUDA Drivers.

Sooo, I decided to by one and my decision was GTX 470! But according to Adobe only this cards support Mercury:

GeForce GTX 285 (Windows and Mac OS)

Quadro FX 3800 (Windows)

Quadro FX 4800 (Windows and Mac OS)

Quadro FX 5800 (Windows)

Quadro CX

If you have some other Nvidia Card you can try this "hack":

http://www.studio1productions.com/Articles/PremiereCS5.htm

and it will work. But how? Lot of people reporting dropped files during rendering and another glitches, etc.....

Just google reports about, as i done.

Another thing - no appropriate drivers, no or maybe QE and CI, no OpenCL... and so one..

In Film & Video business you must go with minimum risk and have stabile system! First rule!

So I decided to by one GTX 285. I called my supplier and he had last one in stock : INNO 3D GTX 285 1GB...waiting for me! After 5-6h my iHack was on operation table: ATI out - NVidia in!!!

To be honest, I bought this card and came home in 1 hour, and rest 4 hours spend on WWW searching for right solution how to install GTX 285 on my system after ATI without problems: What kext and injector I need for NVidia, what needs to be deleted from ATI, should I use Efi, or inject over DSDT? Thousand questions and much less answers!!!

The Story begins now!!!

My insides:

Ok, my system Snow 10.6.4 should already have a support for GTX 285, and I am using Netkas EFI 10.5 witch has already Efi strings inside. (To be sure, I have downloaded newest Nvidia drivers, NVInject64 and Cuda 3.1 drivers, maybe I will need it later...will see..).

I have just replaced Ati with NVidia and rebooted...... And, voila, everything works perfect!

Dual 24" Monitoring, all resolutions, System Profiler shows everything right! After log-in first thing was to make some Tests.... OpenGL first:

post-292451-1280010048_thumb.jpg

post-292451-1280010404_thumb.png

It was amazing! Scores from ATI was:

post-292451-1280010196_thumb.png

To be able to make some more tests, i need to install Cuda drivers:

post-292451-1280010541_thumb.png

I was so excited (leaved test for later) and started Premiere CS5! Opened my last Footage with 4 camera Sequence

where my good old ATI HD 4870 was already overloaded, and? No need to render, everything playing smooth and easy! Every layer has Keying effect! Line is still yellow!

Wonted to be sure, under the Project preferences was chosen: "Mercury Playback engine Hardware" !!!

As it should be! I have just started to play with this project adding more effects to see where will be the border of RT -

and suddenly my PC goes down!!! Rebooting without boot picture on both monitors! Opened my iHac and my new GTX 285 is dead!!! I can not awake it from sleep!

Change my old ATI again and PC working again OK! First booting in Snow Leopard takes a little bit longer as usual.

Immediately after this disaster called my supplier to make an appointment for changing my card on monday if he can organize another one!

And now I am writing this with my good old ATI still in it!!!

But does anybody else have or had similar experience?

My PS is 600W wit 2 x 18W (+12 / -12) and that can be maybe, or?

I will be posting news on monday....

Cheers

QuattroFX

Updated to 10.6.4, installed the newer driver...and performance went straight to hell. My GTX 285 is still working, still accelerated, but it runs like {censored}. WoW would stick to the 60fps Vsync limit nearly all the time, but now I can't even hit 30fps in simple areas. Halflife 2 runs like {censored} right at the menu. I've tried booting without caches, but no dice. 10.6.3 ran just fine with this card and an EFI string. Any advice? This is driving me nuts.

EDIT: Used the nvclock tool to confirm my suspicion: This friggin' card is clocking itself at 300mhz when idle and doesn't clock itself up to full speed when 3D apps run. Great. Any idea how this can be fixed short of dumping the BIOS, disabling the throttling, and flashing it again? I tried transplanting the 10.6.3 Nvidia kexts from my backup, but all that did was kill acceleration and leave me at 1024x768.

FINAL EDIT: Problem solved! I have no friggin' clue why this is, but after some digging, I found that setting your Hackie as a Mac Pro 4,1 means you get {censored} performance with the latest GTX 285 drivers. Setting it to 3,1 magically restores it! I can't think of why the Hackie thinking it's a 2008 Mac Pro instead of a 2009 Mac Pro would make any difference...but I'm happy to have full performance back.

So to people having performance issues, check and make sure your hackie isn't running as a 4,1 Mac Pro. This may hold true for ANY Nvidia card under the new drivers.

Good news!

My GTX 285 was not dead! :wacko: It was the Power Supply! According to NVidia you need at least 500 - 600W with 25A pro chanel for this card and my old one has only 18A!

So I bought new one LC-Power Metatron Prophecy 2 LC8750II V2.2, 750 Watt:

http://www.computertreff.net/detale.php?li...e,netzteile_atx

and that solved the problem, but only the first one!!! I could boot in Snow but as I told that it takes too long, that was

because my 1TB HD was damaged after that crash! I/O Error on Snow HD reporting my Win 7 !!!

Sooo, I was playing yesterday with my Clone drive and Time Maschine Backup over Migration assistant to bring my last working Image on new 500GB HD.

Now, I am writing this from that "new" one with GTX 285 full accelerated!

I must go to work, as soon as I came home I will forward some more TESTS!!!! ;)

BR

QuattroFX

OpenGL Support for NVidia Geforce GT 240

Hey All,

I'm using this card, trying to play StarCraft 2. It doesn't seem to be working, everything seems extremely sluggish even on the lowest settings. I am running Mac OS X 10.6.4, I think it might be a problem with this build, because it fails the OpenGL 3.0 test. Maybe it will work on 10.6.3, thoughts, suggestions? I'm not using any drivers, just the GraphicsEnabler=Yes.

Thanks

UPDATE:

Turns out it was 10.6.4, even people running Macs were having the problem. Just reinstalled Snow Leopard from my original 10.6.3 disc, my files were all preserved. It's running brilliantly now B)

post-36756-1280257346_thumb.png

Anyone knows how to disable hdmi sound thru a hdmi->dvi cable with gtx260 ? In windows it can be done with edid override, but can't do it on osx even tough there's the /S/L/Display/Overrides/*** and allready created the correct tv manufacturer/model plist file in there with the same override codes as in win

So no analog sound on hdtv because defaults to hdmi sound... any help would be great.

Good news!

My GTX 285 was not dead! :( It was the Power Supply! According to NVidia you need at least 500 - 600W with 25A pro chanel for this card and my old one has only 18A!

So I bought new one LC-Power Metatron Prophecy 2 LC8750II V2.2, 750 Watt:

http://www.computertreff.net/detale.php?li...e,netzteile_atx

and that solved the problem, but only the first one!!! I could boot in Snow but as I told that it takes too long, that was

because my 1TB HD was damaged after that crash! I/O Error on Snow HD reporting my Win 7 !!!

Sooo, I was playing yesterday with my Clone drive and Time Maschine Backup over Migration assistant to bring my last working Image on new 500GB HD.

Now, I am writing this from that "new" one with GTX 285 full accelerated!

I must go to work, as soon as I came home I will forward some more TESTS!!!! :D

BR

QuattroFX

I am very pleased to hear that, and am curious about your other results. Did you use a modified Bios?

Do you have experience's with HDMI and video input on macosx?

I am very pleased to hear that, and am curious about your other results. Did you use a modified Bios?

Hi Lord,

I am just doing some more tests, will reply it later... What do you mean about modified Bios? Cartry one is only for

the EP43 and EP45 boards, mine is P55A UD3. I was using ordinary F2 Bios & my self-made DSDT till my CRASH on monday! (Never change the running system)

Now, after that Crash it was ideal to update my Bios to F9 between other changes. I was playing yesterday creating

my new DSDT, but i´m not finished yet. Maybe that can cause some decrease in further Tests? Let´s see....

Do you have experience's with HDMI and video input on macosx?

Not yet, I am still importing and exporting Video over Firewire.

but I have seen something interesting:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/

This card is compatible with both Windows and Intel Macs with PCI Express card slots—meaning a Mac Pro. In addition to being able to capture DSLR menus, pictures, and videos from cameras with an HDMI port, it can import uncompressed video from HDV camcorders. And it captures not only digital video via its HDMI input, but also analog component video and S-video. Supported HD formats include 1080i50, 1080i59.94, 720p50 and 720p59.94.

If the Mac Pro requirement wasn’t enough to put you off, bear in mind that in order to capture this uncompressed video you’re going to need a fast disk array—uncompressed HD video consumes massive amounts of storage and you need storage fast and capacious enough to deal with it. Also, this card won’t capture from devices that use HDCP (High-Bandwidth Digital Content Protection), so you can forget about using it with a Blu-Ray player or HD set-top box.

(Source: Macworld)

I hope this info can help you. :D

And now, it´s time for testing!!!

Cheers

QuattroFX

Test Part II:

GALAXIES 32K_V2

NVIDIA INNO3D GeForce GTX 285 1GB

_________SIM:___________________ GIGAFLOPS:

Vector Single Core CPU:_________________12

Vector Multi Core CPU:__________________46

GeForce GTX 285:_____________________ 329

Hybrid Multi Core CPU+GPU:_____________80

OpenGL 3.1:

post-292451-1280391228_thumb.png

post-292451-1280391238_thumb.jpg

Maybe I missed this, but has anyone gotten the 2GB version of the GTX 285 working properly?

I have an EVGA GTX 2GB SSC and it is reported as something very weird. I have tried installing the pro apps and it says I have -2048 MB of memory, and System Profiler shows 48,000+ MB???

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Got my card installed but my Graphics/Display info shows:

Unknown nVidia card:

Chipset Model: Unknown nVidia card

Type: GPU

Bus: PCIe

PCIe Lane Width: x16

VRAM (Total): 896 MB

Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)

Device ID: 0x05e6

Revision ID: 0x00a1

Displays:

Display Connector:

SyncMaster:

Resolution: 1920 x 1200 @ 60 Hz

Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display: Yes

Mirror: Off

Online: Yes

Rotation: Supported

How do i fix the unknown nVidia card? and is their a software to show that my card is performing correctly? thanks