rEFIt: Booting a 'Truecrypt'ed WinXP partition?

sir_thias

3 posts in this topic

Gentlemen,

I just got myself a brandnew MBP and moved to the following three partition setup right away:

Partition 1: 50 GB HFS (OSX)

Partition 2: 100 GB FAT32 (shared data)

Partition 3: 50 GB NTFS (WinXP)

Dual Booting using the standard boot process works like a charm.

However, I really would like to use Truecrypt for encrypting Partition 2 and 3 since I will have quite a bit of important company data on these partitions. When I try to encrypt the system drive under XP Truecrypt complains that it needs a 32 KB empty space at the head of the disk for being able to install its boot loader.

Now my question:

Will rEFIt be the solution for enabling booting a truecrypted XP partition on an MBP?

I haven't tried it yet but will do so shortly. I would just like to get any opinion / ideas / hints / potential problems / "why it will never work" explanations / etc. that might be floating around in your heads before I start wasting a lot of time on this.

Thanks for any input on this!

Cheers from the Black Forest,

Mathias

• 1 month later...

I do believe that there isn't support for Encrypted Partitions yet.

• 1 year later...
Now my question:

Will rEFIt be the solution for enabling booting a truecrypted XP partition on an MBP?

I haven't tried it yet but will do so shortly. I would just like to get any opinion / ideas / hints / potential problems / "why it will never work" explanations / etc. that might be floating around in your heads before I start wasting a lot of time on this.

Thanks for any input on this!

Cheers from the Black Forest,

Mathias

Hi Mathias,

I have exactly the same question. I also want to boot a truecrypt encrypted partition.

Could you report on how it worked out? You didn't get an answer at that time but maybe

you could help me and every next person experiencing the same problem out?

It would be greatly appreciated!