Mac OS X 10.5.4 Released

osxfan156

65 posts in this topic

well i used the software update from zeth to create a modified pkg file. i installed it correctly and just before it makes the restart the dock went away and all disks from desktop too, and the system hanged. i restarted it and the system stopped on the grey apple with the circle to spin. it stayed there for about 20 minutes without any act from the system.

i used the calyway 10.5.2 to make a reapair to permissions but nothing.

any ideas are welcome....

:( no i didn't make any backup before.....

any help welcome.

E.D

i forgot the config.

MSI K9N

AMD 4800+

kalyway 10.5.2 upgraded to 10.5.3

3GB RAM

NVIDIA 8600

Aha, modbin kernel arrived, time for upgrade :|

Update: Great, 9.4.0, and sleep/resume is working again!

I gave the modbin 9.4.0 kernel a try but 64 bit apps will not run with it (not that there are many of those), so I went back to vanilla.

10.5.4 installed fine here, (Gigabyte P35-DS3 + E8200) although when I quit anything with an icon in the menu bar Mac OS X isn't

closing the gap left unless I drag one of the remaining icons. I never payed much attention before but I assume it did close the gap

in earlier versions.

Is there any way I can extract vanilla kernel? Is the update stored somewhere?

I think the download is discarded once it is applied so your best bet is to download it from www.apple.com/downloads/

http://wsidecar.apple.com/cgi-bin/nph-reg3...SXUpd10.5.4.dmg

The kernel and the accompanying System.kext (each kernel version generally expects the System.kext that came with it)

should generally be backed up whenever they are replaced (as should ANYTHING being replaced) since there is no guarantee

that things will work properly afterwards.

weird...

I dunno how that happened, but it seems I'm already runnig vanilla kernel:

$ md5 mach_kernel*

MD5 (mach_kernel) = ecfed0eab109e1d6276e3aed721bf3c3

MD5 (mach_kernel.backup) = 23a724b199b8bbb799f8029b4d3e110f

MD5 (mach_kernel.ctfsys) = 680873f3e084459bcab581985f1ac462

MD5 (mach_kernel.modbin) = 184b689417b1d97a79375db2fba38789

MD5 (mach_kernel.vanilla) = ecfed0eab109e1d6276e3aed721bf3c3

Geekbench keeps saying that I have "Hackintosh". What am I missing?

If you can run the 64-bit version (ie no white circle with a line through it superimposed on the apps icon), you are missing absolutely nothing.

It calling your machine a Hackintosh is no more significant than whether the "About this Mac" dialog box correctly lists processor type.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

I managed to use the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update successfully (with no Kernel update - i.e. I'm still using the original kernel that came with Kalyway 10.5.2).

Unfortunately, as soon as I tried the 10.5.4 update from Apple, I can no longer get past the Darwin bootloader. As soon as OSx boots, it resets my computer without even letting me see any of the text produced during the boot process in verbose mode (-v).

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Thanks.

FYI - Compatible hardware according to the osX86 wiki

I forgot to mention that I can boot up 10.5.4 with the kabylkernel, but was unable to use the vanillakernel.

Anyone else notice the same?

Thanks...

I managed to use the Kalyway 10.5.3 combo update successfully (with no Kernel update - i.e. I'm still using the original kernel that came with Kalyway 10.5.2).

Unfortunately, as soon as I tried the 10.5.4 update from Apple, I can no longer get past the Darwin bootloader. As soon as OSx boots, it resets my computer without even letting me see any of the text produced during the boot process in verbose mode (-v).

Anyone encountered this problem before?

Thanks.

FYI - Compatible hardware according to the osX86 wiki