New modified BOOT-132 allows you to boot retail DVDs

f41qu3

1,286 posts in this topic

one stupid question: does everyone have to build their own patched usb-devices using scripts and stuff? i mean, a usb-stick is a drive, you also can make images of an us-stick. could anyone with a working bootable usb-stick please be so kind and make an image file...?

maybe it´s a good idea to work on the "perfect bootable usb-image", that also contains a bootloader to boot other OS´s like windoze or linux. this would make commercial projects like efi-x obsolete.

or am i wrong and there are reasons for us that will make us patching all that for ourselves?

thanks a lot,

smorf

^^ Where did you find "isolinux.cfg" ??

File is inside: .iso file/isolinux/isolinux.cfg

:)

@ smorf:

All process here are newer and we going tests too to try make better way for it.

We need opinions and ideas from users too to finish this. :)

kaplenk type hard disk id: 81 (Secondary Drive) not 80 or enter...

because you Primary Drive (80) is your usb stick now... :)

smorf, its hard to do such thing, because everyone got a different hardware, so you needs another kexts for your sound/video/network/etc cards.

kaplenk type hard disk id: 81 (Secondary Drive) not 80 or enter...

because you Primary Drive (80) is your usb stick now... :)

smorf, its hard to do such thing, because everyone got a different hardware, so you needs another kexts for your sound/video/network/etc cards.

@Stickpin,

Thanks for your reply. But in my case, I can't even type anything anywhere. If I boot from the CD, it can see where I can type 80 and it successfully boots. For some reason (probably my error), when I try to boot from the USB, the first thing is see is boot from foreign OS. No where to type, just enter to continue. Then I see the calling chainbooter

Thanks

@ STiCKpIN

i know that, but installation media like iAtkos or Kalyways DVDs also contain kexts for different kinds of hardware, so it would be at least possible to add common kexts without conflicts.

the next idea is to make a ready bootable image without the kexts for non-vanilla-compatible hardware, and keep this modular.

just as an old linuxusers thought: users could clone the ready image onto a usb-device. the stick could then be mounted and people could add their needed kext files to the directory on the stick, where they are needed. isn´t that possible?

the next idea is to make a ready bootable image without the kexts for non-vanilla-compatible hardware, and keep this modular.

:censored2: I don't understand...

You had plan to create a process to install Vanilla DVD on "non-vanilla-compatible hardware"?

Finally I got it working (the previous dvd I was using wasn't retail). Seriously this is one of the biggest advance in osx86 ever. Works great. The only part I missed is the ability to install to mbr partitions (I couldn't, even with double click).

Good work to everyone who made this possible.

i tryed everything now and cant seem to do it mean i can run it then :"(

I test a iso without kexts (only dsmos) and not work. Need this 5 kexts (minimal) to CDBoot works.

- ACPIPS2Nub.kext (For enable PS2 Support)

- ApplePS2Controller.kext (For enable PS2 Support, good for Laptops)

- dsmos.kext (mach_kernel "on-the-run" decrypter)

- IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext (For bypass AppleIntelCPUPowerManagement.kext)

- SMBIOSEnabler.kext (Needs it to use original AppleSMBIOS.kext)

This kexts are not hacked. All Originals or open-source kexts.

Anyone tried this on a Dell yet?

Yes, I tried this on a Dell Inspiron 530, and it booted a retail Leopard 10.5 disk just fine. I haven't installed yet, as I don't want to erase my existing MBR partitioning scheme. I plan to get another hard drive and install a vanilla version there (I am currently using kalyway). I used one of the version Filip posted that contained a bunch of common kexts : http://www.mediafire.com/?1ne1zbl4znv

Yip Dell Dimension 9200(XPS410)

I have just the IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext, the dsmos.kext, the AppleSMBIOS.kext and MY AppleAHCIPort.kext for my RAID config in the BIOS!

It boots, installs updates and continues working

I Also made the Boot-123 Bootable USB with the same kexts on. Upon rebooting I used it instead of the DVD! I then did the updates!

Hint: once you have done a update like, 10.5.4 remove the kexts that is already on your Boot-123 USB from the Extensions directory, then on the reboot, use -v -f to force a reload and it reboots once before it goes into ths OS!

Then.......

Once everything was done and I was happy, i loaded the kexts that were on my USB into the system with Kext Helper and Ran Chameleon to make it bootable! you could skip the last step if you want to continue booting from the USB but I have 5 USB drives and to switch them all off for one to boot is a pain!

SticMAN

Anyone tried this on a Dell yet?

Sorry, n00b question: what are IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext , SMBIOSEnabler.kext and CPUDisabler.kext for? Is there any faq about this stuff around?

LOL at CPU..disabler...

cpu disabler doesnt exist

they are kexts that can bypass some apple original kexts that wont wrk on hackintosh, so u can use original updates from internet (combo) thnx to those lovely drivers :D

do you think that will work for me tho cus im sure they was in the one i downloaded the 40mb one

You need an another kext to get it working (A modified PIIXATA).

I use P5K-SE here and works great :-)

i just downloaded the one cupple post up to and i get this now

xlars can u do me an iso with the kexts in that u think i need thanks get back to me

You need IOATAFamily.kext or AppleAHCI.kext on CD/USB Boot to works. This error is a bad compatibility or a lack of kext.

:D

I just read the Salespitch at EFI-X Site again :dev:

"

Ability to install Mac OS X Leopard and Leopard Server from original retail DVD.

Average users can easily install Mac OSX without fear of needing professional knowledge.

Update your system with official Apple Updates."

I've just realized with a 25c CD and my $1,00 256MB memorystick(that i nearly chucked in the bin!)..... I CAN DO THAT!!! ;)

:P GREAT WORK BY THE WAY!! :jerry:

SticMAN

wow!!!! i got one of those E-FIX gizmos for less than $20!!!! here is a pic\

;):D;);):D:D:D:D:P:P:P:P:jerry::dev:

.....but seriously folks ....this does rock.....!!!!

i had an ide samsung cd drive laying around, so there you go ....i just leave the disk in there and presto !!

the poor mans e-fix....

i bet that is all e-fix is. they just tried to fancy it up a bit with some usb ports and some speaker jacks.......

ps.. is there any mac/terminal tutorials for the usb boot 123 ? i dont feel like installing parallels or anything.....

the rig on my sig is not the rig i tried this on but, it worked fine for me with this rig

intel celeron e1200 dual core

abit 1-45v 945 ich7 950 gma

pioneer dl dvd drive

samsung cd drive

.... that rig is at work....i wanna try out this usb boot 123....i just followed the tutorial...i gotta try it on my wifes computer...i gotta wait till she is done with it ..... will report back....

I was thinking on this a little more. I am sure auto hardware detection would be nigh on impossible to do, in terms of the pre instal CD determining a user's PC's components and then funneling in the needed additional kexts and so on, but I wonder if it would be possible to have every conceivable kext, etc, on the CD and then have users go to a website where they can download a simple plugin installer file that matches their hardware profile? The pre instal CD would ask you to briefly insert a CD with said profile on it. I know, not great to be swapping discs around but if as Microsoft Windows user you have used a Windows upgrade CD, you are already used to insert your original Windows CD for proof of ownership, so... not a big hassle. That way you would have something 100% compatible out of the box with no skill and no Mac or Hackintosh required, beyond being able to partition a hard drive. I hope that makes sense.

The alternative, if such a thread isn't up and running already, would be for everyone to report back on their hardware spec and which additional kexts etc they needed.

Is there a way to use EFI strings, or more appropriately device-properties strings via this BOOT-132, so you wouldn't need to enter them in com.apple.Boot.plist on the install partition, thus keeping the install completely vanilla?

I have made a custom ISO with what I thought I needed for my sound, but it does not work. I have included a Taruga modified AppleHDA.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext (since I cannot have EFI string, or can I?). What did I do wrong, do I need ALCinject.kext instead?

I also included NVkush.kext for my 7300GT since, again I cannot have EFI strings, and the card works properly with QI/QE supported, but the name of the card is not correct. It is something like "Can I has name?". Wouldn't NVinject.kext instead give it a more correct name? Can I please have direct from BOOT-132 EFI strings?

I hope I am overlooking the method for passing device-properties strings from BOOT-132. That would be excellent.

When I get the ISO perfected for my board (GA-EP35-DS3L), I might find a link on mediafire.com to it to provide here, unless someone beats me to it.

Thanks for all that you who have done this do!

Is there a way to use EFI strings, or more appropriately device-properties strings via this BOOT-132, so you wouldn't need to enter them in com.apple.Boot.plist on the install partition, thus keeping the install completely vanilla?

I have made a custom ISO with what I thought I needed for my sound, but it does not work. I have included a Taruga modified AppleHDA.kext, and HDAEnabler.kext (since I cannot have EFI string, or can I?). What did I do wrong, do I need ALCinject.kext instead?

I also included NVkush.kext for my 7300GT since, again I cannot have EFI strings, and the card works properly with QI/QE supported, but the name of the card is not correct. It is something like "Can I has name?". Wouldn't NVinject.kext instead give it a more correct name? Can I please have direct from BOOT-132 EFI strings?

I hope I am overlooking the method for passing device-properties strings from BOOT-132. That would be excellent.

When I get the ISO perfected for my board (GA-EP35-DS3L), I might find a link on mediafire.com to it to provide here, unless someone beats me to it.

Thanks for all that you who have done this do!

You need to remove NVKush.kext From Boot-132 ,Than Your EFI string would work ,I tested It worked perfectly for Video ,LAN

You need to remove NVKush.kext From Boot-132 ,Than Your EFI string would work ,I tested It worked perfectly for Video ,LAN

I do not want to put an EFI string on the OS drive in com.apple.Boot.plist. Is there a way to have com.apple.Boot.plist on the BOOT-132 disc/USB? Thanks.

I do not want to put an EFI string on the OS drive in com.apple.Boot.plist. Is there a way to have com.apple.Boot.plist on the BOOT-132 disc/USB? Thanks.

Yep.. at least I think so.. havent tested it yet...

but I think if you put it on the cd/stick with the same path:

Library/Preferences/SystemConfiguration/com.apple.Boot.plist

It should work..

Or you can change the ISOLINUX.CFG

PROMPT 0
TIMEOUT 90
DEFAULT /mboot.c32 /boot [color="red"](Put it here)[/color] --- /initrd.img

Going from 10.5 to 10.5.4 with the Combo update replaces all the files you did not want to replace so........

The files that work are however still on the CDBOOT in the initrd.img file, thats why you can boot from it!

Boot from the CDBOOT, open the initrd.img file on the CDBOOT by doubleclicking on it and use KextHelper to install ALL the kexts in the initrd.img on the CDBOOT(as you say it works when you boot from it?)

This will replace the unwanted kexts on the HDD(It should include the IntelCPUPMDisabler.kext).

Now rerun Chameleon just for the sake of it

SticMAN

"generic.iso" I mean a CDBOOT that a mate has uploaded to the forum, I get the leopard retail 10.5 installed and I get it boot without this cdboot, putting the dsmos.kext and installing the chameleon, but when I upgrade from 10.5 to 10.5.4 my hackinstosk no longer boots and gives me a kernel panicI have to say that with the cdboot my hackisntosh boots normally

I have found that depending on the version of the kext, you either have to use -f to force the reading of the kexts from the CDBOOT/USB or

you have to remove the offending kext on the HDD and only use the one on the CDBOOT/USB or

you replace the files on the HDD with those in the initrd.img that is on the CDBOOT/USB!

StiCMAN

As from reading here (cannot test atm cause of lack of prozessor ;) ), to my mind it seems the related .kext´s needed to start the system are ONLY placed on the CD/USB? After a software update it will load the data from the bootmedia and "bypass" probably unsuitable .kext´s on the HDD - is it like that or am i wrong??Just to make it perfectly clear to me ....CheersGoron