I'm throwing iTunes into the trash!

-.-

14 posts in this topic

iTunes connects to their store when you turn it on by default and didn't have a way for a user to easily and quickly find a way to controll it's behavior, to disable undesirable features, so i threw it in the trash where it belongs. I found the thing hidden on the very bottom that turns of the creepy "just for you" but I doubt if that turns off the tracking, i think apple has hired a bunch of microsoft types. Does anyone know where i can get one of the older versions from before they ruined it?

iTunes connects to their store when you turn it on by default and didn't have a way for a user to easily and quickly find a way to controll it's behavior, to disable undesirable features, so i threw it in the trash where it belongs. I found the thing hidden on the very bottom that turns of the creepy "just for you" but I doubt if that turns off the tracking, i think apple has hired a bunch of microsoft types. Does anyone know where i can get one of the older versions from before they ruined it?

Preferences -> Parental -> Disable music store

In iTunes -> "preferences" -> "parental" - it's possible, and probably advisable, to disable 'music store' 'podcasts' and 'sharing'. I do that because all I want to do is play MP3s which I've created on Windows. Little Snitch hasn't reported the app trying to get out of the box yet...

Edit: Lol - aqualeviathan was posting the same thing at the same time!

Thanks, i guess I'll do that if I don't find an early version, but it seems to me that would be better for it to have a way to connect when you want to and not when you don't rather than disabling it, in case you ever want to buy music which I sometimes do. I just didn't want be to forced into their creepy store when i turn it on.

That little button does turn off the tracking, FYI. The only data that is seemingly sent is what song you're listening to. Not whether you obtained the song legally/illegally or OS X configuration, etc. I don't understand this fascination with labelling everything spyware.

because it is spyware?

no matter how you slice it, it's spyware. It is a corporation collecting data about your purchasing habits which is where spyware came from, it is the very definition of spyware. Most people don't like it.

All are obtained legally so that wasn't a concern., just a sidenote about the intrusive mindset of the company, the main thing is it would be nice to have it open where it is not at some function predetermined by someone other than the user, then the user can go to library, a folder, store, wherever they want to go.

Additionally marketeering geniuses need to realize that tracking and data collection simply does not work, a purchase of a Roy Clark tune does not make a person a fan of country music or about a million other examples I could give. Roy Clark who is a musical master, a genius, has a body of works that is used in the study of music but how would a marketeering genius know that or anything else about anything? Could be that a person who purchased a Roy Clarck tune is a person who listens to classical music almost one hundred percent of the time, could be that person would even prefer something as unmusical as rap music over dreary depressing country music, you just can not tell anything about a person or their preferences by tracking and collecting data about them, it is impossible. It is way past time for them pull their heads out of their sand and realize that, the idea that we can watch people and taylor our advertizing toward their tastes has not worked, it has been a collosal failure and if you happen to occasionally get it right you just allienated a large percentage of potential customers by showing them that you have either been tracking them or you purchased info about them from someone who has.

Well, if you're going to throw iTunes into the trash, you'll also need to destroy Automatic Updates, as it sends information about your system across the Internet also. Then there is also any application that phones home to make sure it's a legit copy. Oh, and trash Windows too, because it has to phone home just so you can use it too. Man, it must suck to not use any spyware at all...

Well, if you're going to throw iTunes into the trash, you'll also need to destroy Automatic Updates, as it sends information about your system across the Internet also. Then there is also any application that phones home to make sure it's a legit copy. Oh, and trash Windows too, because it has to phone home just so you can use it too. Man, it must suck to not use any spyware at all...
I took your advise and threw windows away and now my hardrive is very quiet, and does not suck. I'm playing with making sets of animated 3d gifs in gimp, earlier I did some work in open office, also made a few htmls for ebay ads, and then coverted some .mid's to wav ogg and pm3, and not once did my hard drive start chattering away the way it did in windows.

That little button does turn off the tracking, FYI. The only data that is seemingly sent is what song you're listening to. Not whether you obtained the song legally/illegally or OS X configuration, etc. I don't understand this fascination with labelling everything spyware.

excume me, what does "FYI" mean? it has really confused me a long time.

excume me, what does "FYI" mean? it has really confused me a long time.

For Your Information.

As for the iTunes point...I used to just totally deny it Internet Access from my firewall. Worked like a charm, since all I ever use iTunes for is playing music, and copying stuff to my iPod. Besides, I find myself using WMP more as of late, if only because of it's time-stretching feature (handy for transcribing songs and whatnot).

For Your Information.

As for the iTunes point...I used to just totally deny it Internet Access from my firewall. Worked like a charm, since all I ever use iTunes for is playing music, and copying stuff to my iPod. Besides, I find myself using WMP more as of late, if only because of it's time-stretching feature (handy for transcribing songs and whatnot).

I didn't know it had that feature, thanks. I also didn't know they had a WM for Mac, I just finished downloading it.

I hate windows, and so does everyone at my school. Office has some config file that runs every time you open it, and it takes 5 minutes to open up excel or word. I'm using an old laptop running windows xp, and ive used all open source software to run it. it works so much better than microsoft's stuff, and it is free. it also almost never connects to the internet, and it runs faster than my desktop running windows. quite scary how vulnerable to the internet wondows xp is. thats why i prefer linux and osx :D

yeah, windows is quite a nuisance.

I hate windows, and so does everyone at my school. Office has some config file that runs every time you open it, and it takes 5 minutes to open up excel or word. I'm using an old laptop running windows xp, and ive used all open source software to run it. it works so much better than microsoft's stuff, and it is free. it also almost never connects to the internet, and it runs faster than my desktop running windows. quite scary how vulnerable to the internet wondows xp is. thats why i prefer linux and osx :guitar:

yeah, windows is quite a nuisance.

I had a similar problem at my school....the computers were fairly good P4's, but became severly crippled by all the security {censored} they had put on them. It was a major pain just opening Explorer. In the end, I just ended up getting a copy of Knoppix, and doing all my work from within there. As an added bonus, Knoppix wasn't subjected to the useless Web block that all the other computers had. :D