Creating a Separate partition osx86 installer

4 posts in this topic

partition based osx86 installer 

Steps 

1.get these items

-updated darwin bootloader (any of them that allow selecting different partitions to boot from F8(ps: if you have leopard with efi emulation u should be fine))

-mac or hac comp 

-Ubuntu live cd

-osx86 image 

2.boot ubuntu live CD

-open terminal

-type "sudo Gparted"

-create installer partition (unformated) (about 5 GB)

-reboot

open disk utility 

select new drive, format it then goto the restore tab

select the image ans source

select the new partition as destonation

restore 

(make sure your main partition is active or you may get th B0 error afterwards!!!!!!)

5 when needed u can now press f8 and boot from the new partition to install 

i havent tried it yet but you could probably format another partition to fat32 and put a win install disk on there also for those of you who are dual booting 

Thank you, I didnt know they had a live cd just for Gparted. I apreciate your inputi had an extra HDD lieing around so i tried to do this on a separate HDD instead1. boot your osx86 dvd, and install x86 0n your separate HDD.2 boot gparted live cd (or ubuntu live cd, open terminal and type gparted) and shrink the partition you just installed onnote:  you can either shrink just enough to make the install partition or shrink it down to the minimum i left about 3gb on the mac part. i would keep the files on the install partition as a restore/recovery partition. and also that is the boot partition3. boot in to a mac partition, dont matter witch one and restore the osx86 disk image to the install partitions you made