OS X on the MSI Wind, Before it's Released

687 posts in this topic

As far as United States releases go, will the SuSE linux version (@ $399) have the same hardware specs? Except for the 512MB of RAM obviously. My question is, would it be cheaper (and faster) to purchase the linux version and install 2GB of ram especially if you are going to be installing OS X anyways?

having trouble getting resolution and quartz extreme going at the mo, tried both the kexts off the wiki with no joy. one question tho, is it %100 neccessary for the graphics update to be run first ? not being online with it at the mo will not allow me to do so obviously.

As far as United States releases go, will the SuSE linux version (@ $399) have the same hardware specs? Except for the 512MB of RAM obviously. My question is, would it be cheaper (and faster) to purchase the linux version and install 2GB of ram especially if you are going to be installing OS X anyways?

The Linux version will not have bluetooth either.

happycar/pezley,

can you tell if the overclocking/underclocking feature is working with OSX? ive read reports that MSI removed the overclocking function on retail units (but kept the underclocking feature).

If they work, battery life/performance tests at the different clock speeds would be awesome

got full support of gpu now, no luck with a descent resolution tho, it does not scale, the screen just sets it to cut bits off.maybe thats a bios setting?looks lovely running leopard at a nice res tho :Doooo, got my resolution support now . 1024x600. looks and runs lovelySleep, WIF, audio ( which i havent attempted yet but someone has kindly got working ) and 2 finger pad tracking and i think we are %100 ?

Appreciate the stuff you've put up on your blog site so far happycar. I'm thinking about putting a Dell miniPCI 1500 wireless N card in my wind. I just hope it fits.

The Dell 1390 has a metal cage on the back of the card which got in the way of the stand-off. If you do need to remove the stand-off I recommend a small screwdriver down the thread and move it gently around until it comes off the board (hopefully with no extra bits!)

The linux version would be fine. The 512 RAM will be soldered onto the main board with one free slow. No one needs bluetooth anyway! I got the XP version, because it is all there was!

happycar/pezley,

can you tell if the overclocking/underclocking feature is working with OSX? ive read reports that MSI removed the overclocking function on retail units (but kept the underclocking feature).

If they work, battery life/performance tests at the different clock speeds would be awesome

Underclocking seems to work, I haven't been able to test yet though to see if its actually running at reduced speeds, but the little power light goes from blue to green. The overclocking feature was removed from the retail model :P

got full support of gpu now, no luck with a descent resolution tho, it does not scale, the screen just sets it to cut bits off.maybe thats a bios setting?looks lovely running leopard at a nice res tho :Doooo, got my resolution support now . 1024x600. looks and runs lovelySleep, WIF, audio ( which i havent attempted yet but someone has kindly got working ) and 2 finger pad tracking and i think we are %100 ?

The resolution is a bit of an odd one. For me I it works for a few boots and has gone back to 800x600. I think the best solution for the moment is when you get into the system at 1024x600...don't restart :) and test out that sleep feature some more!

Anyway I am awake now. Tried a user migration from my MacBook Pro to this via ethernet, but it took AGES and just failed anyway. Boy do I miss firewire. I'll try a migration via Time Machine shortly and see if I can get all my goodies transferred over!

The resolution is a bit of an odd one. For me I it works for a few boots and has gone back to 800x600. I think the best solution for the moment is when you get into the system at 1024x600...don't restart :P and test out that sleep feature some more!

I have reset a few times now without a problem. so fingers crossed. did take me forever to get it working in the first place tho!

still not got the audio going. im trying that now.

sleep actually seems fine, doesnt work from closing the lid but i can live with that. works just from the fn + sleep key. wakes up with power button.more than happy with that.

only things i need now are 2 finger track pad, wifi, audio ( with head phone jack pref ) and lastly to get rid of the advent logo on the back of the lid :) !

Great work guys!

This is great news. This will be my first OSx86 install, and after reading some other install guides, the process seems that it can get a bit involved. From what I'm reading here and over at the Wind OSx86 wiki, this one seems fairly straight forward.

Question though: Is there perhaps another compatible wireless card that may fit without any kind of physical modification? I'd rather not permanently change anything if possible.

Also, how difficult is it to get to the wireless card in the Wind? I change out wireless cards in the Dells at work, and they're pretty straightforward. In fact, I might even have a 1390 laying around in my pile of parts somewhere. :P

sleep actually seems fine, doesnt work from closing the lid but i can live with that. works just from the fn + sleep key. wakes up with power button.more than happy with that.

There is a kext called ClamshellDisplay.kext that fixes this! Sleep works with the lid closed. If you check the wiki its under the rebadged MSI Wind section.

Also, how difficult is it to get to the wireless card in the Wind? I change out wireless cards in the Dells at work, and they're pretty straightforward. In fact, I might even have a 1390 laying around in my pile of parts somewhere. :P

Pop the bottom cover off, remove a screw and you have the old card out!

This sounds like a nice machine, like a min laptop version of a mini for the same price. Are the units being sold in the US going to be branded as MSI or whatever it is in the UK (Avant?).

Bluetooth USB dongles are like 15 bucks at newegg and memory is cheap, $399 sounds very reasonable.

EDIT: stokedonlife02, where did you preorder?

Thanks for your great progress happycar.

I guess the only stumbling block would be getting the wifi to work. I wonder if it's just a matter of time before it works, but seeing how no drivers are available we may be out of luck for now.

I realize you also need to have an external dvd to attempt the install and you suggested the Samsung SE-S204, however, I was wondering if a standard ide dvd drive with a cheap ide-to-usb cable would do the trick? No reason why it wouldn't I suppose.

The Wind looks very promising.

I guess the only stumbling block would be getting the wifi to work. I wonder if it's just a matter of time before it works, but seeing how no drivers are available we may be out of luck for now.

I realize you also need to have an external dvd to attempt the install and you suggested the Samsung SE-S204, however, I was wondering if a standard ide dvd drive with a cheap ide-to-usb cable would do the trick? No reason why it wouldn't I suppose.

I'm sure that drivers will appear for it sometime, but in the meantime I am on Wifi with the Dell 1390. I can't sit around waiting you know? Hehe.

Any external optical drive should work. As long as it can read DVDs and can connect to the Wind!

Could someone with a Wind install this: http://www.x86dev.org/forum/index.php?acti...07.0;attach=666 then go to the terminal and post the results of a
sudo lspci

?

Here you go!

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Unknown device 27ac (rev 03)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Unknown device 27ae (rev 03)
00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS, 943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 1 (rev 02)
00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) PCI Express Port 2 (rev 02)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #1 (rev 02)
00:1d.1 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #2 (rev 02)
00:1d.2 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #3 (rev 02)
00:1d.3 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB UHCI Controller #4 (rev 02)
00:1d.7 USB Controller: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) USB2 EHCI Controller (rev 02)
00:1e.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 82801 Mobile PCI Bridge (rev e2)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82801GBM (ICH7-M) LPC Interface Bridge (rev 02)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 82801GBM/GHM (ICH7 Family) SATA AHCI Controller (rev 02)
01:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8101E PCI Express Fast Ethernet controller (rev 02)
02:00.0 Network controller: Broadcom Corporation BCM94311MCG wlan mini-PCI (rev 01)

Very interesting thread and hats off to you for hard work.

Just wondering if its possible to install leopard onto an sd card and have it dual boot with the existing windows on the hard drive? Does the bios let you boot from the sd card slot? If not would it be possible to modify this?

Just wondering if its possible to install leopard onto an sd card and have it dual boot with the existing windows on the hard drive? Does the bios let you boot from the sd card slot? If not would it be possible to modify this?

This should be possible, not sure how you would go with the access speeds though.

It was done on the EeePC with no issues.

macam work?

Nope, doesn't see a camera connected, however Photobooth/iChat work 50% of the time.

When I installed from the Kalyway 10.5.2 it has macam_iusbcam as a default selection.

This would be why it works to some point, but not always.

hey , great work around here! it's probably wise to create an HD image when we have the machine working (I guess we would see asian and LAC market full of "MacBook Minis", though!)

now, if I understand,

1-Graph/resolution and QE/CI do not work, at least not perfectly

2-Audio does not work

3-Wifi does not work

still some way to go, right?

I will get one and will try to install Tiger - seems better suited to this little machine. anyone tried?

thanks!

1-Graph/resolution and QE/CI do not work, at least not perfectly

2-Audio does not work

3-Wifi does not work

I will get one and will try to install Tiger - seems better suited to this little machine. anyone tried?

thanks!

Tiger is my next task :)

I am tired of Leopard for now.