InsanelyMac logo design competition

Ed

214 posts in this topic

First thing first!

Due to my profession (brand development and graphic design) I must kindly ask you if osx86 really wants to be a brand or not?! (not just a simple web community with a nice logo and a good website)... I won't lecture you about branding. It would be out of line; I supose not many of you share my job. I guess everybody knows his/her job, whatever that is. But the symbol (or the inappropriate term "logo") is more than a beautiful sign with a name associated, and branding is no monkey business! A branding (or re-branding) programme is a 4 step process: a preliminary study, the construction of the brand, the communication of the new vision upon the brand and the implementation of the brand. It's anything but an one man show! For more detailed info you can pm me...

Nevertheless, as far as I've seen, several designs are WRONG WRONG WRONG from the very first jump. (No offense to the designers)

1. This a respectable web community with a respectable website. Why then should the symbol be so sarcastic, or suggesting the software piracy? Do we really encourage the piracy? or do we laugh about what we do here? That doesn't mean the symbol shouldn't be funny!

2. Many designs I've seen are already copywritted by Apple! And you don't wanna mess with Apple, don't you?! You use/modify the Apple symbols (designs, pictures) in any manner, without Apple's permission, you must stand trial! A personal avatar is one thing, but an official symbol of some organisation is another! Also some desingns are somehow "Leopard oriented". The osx86 project didn't start with Leo, nor it will end with Leo. (I hope)

3. Only few designs do have a single colour version. The single colour version is the main version of the symbol.

I won't comment on the quality of the desings, in terms of concept/composition/finishing. There are some interesting ideas...

Being an open competition of design, everybody is welcome to participate. But the branding and the graphic design should be left in the hands of professionals. And I don't think that's a money problem. There must be some members who can do the right thing for free or a small sum in their afterhours. You wouldn't go under the knife unless the surgeon has a license! Killing the look of insanely mac is no difference! If you agree with me, I'll be glad to help.

There must be some members who can do the right thing for free or a small sum in their afterhours.

the symbol (or the inappropriate term "logo") is more than a beautiful sign with a name associated, and branding is no monkey business! ... It's anything but an one man show! :D

but as a graphic designer, i have to agree badeavasile in almost everything he mentioned.

btw.. whats the font of the actual insanelymac-logo? :)

without any concept for a total redesign, it's imho better to make a "soft redesign"..

Well, although it uses the apple logo — to be honest, I don't give a damn — here's what I have so far. I'm pretty certain it's not anywhere near done… 

Of course, it has a meaning (the apple as a puppet). Also, I'm pretty sure there are too many colors in it.

Normal size:

imlogodq2.png

Resized to 310*70 (current logo's size):

imlogosmallms9.png

Meh, I'm not too happy with it. I can do better.

Edit: eh, looks better without the gloss on the text I think… still think there are too many colors though…

IMO, it looks better without the gloss and with just the red:

imlogoro8.png

imlogosmallkq7.png

Well, I'm happy to see that the idea I had since I read this yesterday is not yet used!

So... here's my first version for the IM logo.

Tell me what do you think, I'll do a lot of improvements to it once I got Photoshop installed.

By the way... NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENTS HERE!!! Plus... it preserves the site's identity I think.

post-140277-1214797975_thumb.png

post-140277-1214797989_thumb.png

post-140277-1214798025_thumb.png

post-140277-1214798041_thumb.png

Well, I'm happy to see that the idea I had since I read this yesterday is not yet used!

So... here's my first version for the IM logo.

Tell me what do you think, I'll do a lot of improvements to it once I got Photoshop installed.

By the way... NO COPYRIGHT INFRINGMENTS HERE!!! Plus... it preserves the site's identity I think.

it's an interesting idea and very cool but i don't like the colors very much.