[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

Hi, weaksauce I am having some dificulties to find the EP45-UD3P to build a SNOW system. Do you think that the EP45-UD3R could be used instead with stellarola kit?

TIA

The UD3R works great with Stella's kit. I have Snow 10.6.2 running great on one of my machines. UD3P is a fancier version of the UD3R in terms of inputs and slots, but I believe their chipsets and everything are the exact same. I'd install to a hard drive from a pre-existing Mac if possible. It was a very smooth install, especially if you have an NVidia video card. I couldn't get my ATI 3870 to work with Snow, so I had to swap out.

Weaksauce, first off, thanks for your dedication. We all really appreciate it.

Concerning the ds3l, when can we expect a release for that?

I installed 10.6.1 using blackosx's guide for the ep45 and using your kexts. everything worked great until i tried installing windows 7 and for some reason my whole install went to {censored}.

Anyway, I want to make a new install using your method cause I know it worked for me before and never had any major problems.

Thanks again.

You're welcome, thanks for the appreciation! Having a great group to work with is what makes this fun :D

Not posting any specific release dates anymore, I'm terrible at deadlines for this stuff :P RSS my blog or bookmark my Twitter (see sig) as I'll post updates there when things are available.

The UD3R works great with Stella's kit. I have Snow 10.6.2 running great on one of my machines. UD3P is a fancier version of the UD3R in terms of inputs and slots, but I believe their chipsets and everything are the exact same. I'd install to a hard drive from a pre-existing Mac if possible. It was a very smooth install, especially if you have an NVidia video card. I couldn't get my ATI 3870 to work with Snow, so I had to swap out.

Good to know, thanks! Anything NOT working on it?

I can also say that Paragon NTFS works great. It's on sale for $19.99:

http://www.paragon-software.com/home/ntfs-mac/

fwiw, I got faster read/write speeds & better stability with Paragon than with MacFUSE in the past.

Installed paragon, its working well. But I have gotten two rainbow circles since. Dunno if its related but i have not had rainbows or crashes since undoing 'native' ntfs wr support.

Programs didnt crash though... but still i was starting to get impressed about the stability of this hack. OSX is actually pretty fast and efficient when its running right. I will keep testing and hope for the best.

I got it to work via an external hard disk. Turns out installing it over Leopard was a bad idea - what a surprise ;):P

Still, two problems remain:

- the bootloader crashes when I press a key to access the options

- with the DSDT from v3, the screen resolution is fixed to 1280x1024. I ended up using the old on, but I guess there might be advantages with the new one, as the site it comes from speaks of compatibility with 10.6.2. Or does this come from the extensions?

I have encountered numerous problems during the installation:

The installer would not make the hard disk I had copied the installer DVD bootable, so I followed the guide on how to hack it on the terminal. This way, I could install SL, but my normal HD was not bootable. I restarted with the installer HD, installed the Chameleon bootloader and copied the files from the extras folder to my Library, which got me to the point where Chameleon starts. When I let it go, OS X crashes before being loaded. When I press a key for advanced startup options, Chameleon hangs.

Anyone encountered problems like these and has an idea on what I could do else than reinstalling 10.5?

Thanks for the Info I ordered the UD3R with a NVidia 250 gts and will be reporting back my experience. I will try to do a clean install as I want to have a boot stick for the next updates

You're welcome, thanks for the appreciation! Having a great group to work with is what makes this fun :(

Not posting any specific release dates anymore, I'm terrible at deadlines for this stuff :( RSS my blog or bookmark my Twitter (see sig) as I'll post updates there when things are available.

Good to know, thanks! Anything NOT working on it?

I have both UD3R and UD3P systems, and their performance is identical, so is the setup method. Everything works! I compared the specs on Gigabyte's site, and saw that the only difference between the boards are number of slots and types of slots. (UD3P has 2 Ethernet ports, UD3R has 1. UD3P has 2 large PCIe slots, UD3R only has 1, etc). I needed to put 3 PCI cards in my system, and UD3R has 3 PCI slots (UD3P only has 2), so that's why I went with that one. Didn't really need the extra ethernet port either for my projects. The UD3R is also about 20 bucks cheaper. :) I used Lifehacker's and Stella's kit to get 10.6.2 up and running for the time being.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Horror!

My steadfast 10.5.8 system built using the Leopard Soup recipe needs to be rebuilt. I have Snow Leopard on my portable machine & would love to put it on my main box.

Still running on an EP35-DS3L. No EP45 at the moment.

Weaksauce12 - Is your new guide for this board usable? I've been down the install path many times, so am willing to take a semi-complete guide. Of course, I would understand if you're now in retirement, so no obligation and many thanks for your previous work.

Anyone else with this mobo... which install procedures would you recommend? I find a few posts, but most are EP45 focused and it's hard to identify the better-working instructions for an EP35.

Thanks folks!

Well I just purchased a Quad Core Q9550 processor for my GA-EP35-DS3L and love it.

Could I still install and run OSX using a Core2Quad processor? Anyone know of a guide for doing it with the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L mobo?

After the update to 10.6.3 my CPU (Q6600) temperature dropped down a lot (I don't know why...) Now it's on 38° with (big...) air cooler at 3.0 Ghtz.

I use some heavy rendering applicatons and with the CPU at work the temperature could even reach 72, now it goes only at 55.

I don't really know if it's for real or something is wrong with the sensor...

Do you know if someone is working on a modified Bios for this motherboard ?

You could try checking the PC Health in the BIOS - it will tell you the actual temperature of the chip.

After the update to 10.6.3 my CPU (Q6600) temperature dropped down a lot (I don't know why...) Now it's on 38° with (big...) air cooler at 3.0 Ghtz.

I use some heavy rendering applicatons and with the CPU at work the temperature could even reach 72, now it goes only at 55.

I don't really know if it's for real or something is wrong with the sensor...

Do you know if someone is working on a modified Bios for this motherboard ?

All I've got right now is the old guides, haven't had time to update them. My wiki is down for the time being until I have some more free time (current schedule 6am - 8pm work/school). No ETA currently, but there are some good guides floating around. Stella & Lifehacker did some excellent work on updates not too long ago.

Horror!

My steadfast 10.5.8 system built using the Leopard Soup recipe needs to be rebuilt. I have Snow Leopard on my portable machine & would love to put it on my main box.

Still running on an EP35-DS3L. No EP45 at the moment.

Weaksauce12 - Is your new guide for this board usable? I've been down the install path many times, so am willing to take a semi-complete guide. Of course, I would understand if you're now in retirement, so no obligation and many thanks for your previous work.

Anyone else with this mobo... which install procedures would you recommend? I find a few posts, but most are EP45 focused and it's hard to identify the better-working instructions for an EP35.

Thanks folks!

• 3 weeks later...

Hey everyone. I've been running a setup of dual hard drives one with Windows and the other Mac OSX 10.5.8. I have a Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L and an 8800GT 512 video card. Recently my video card just crapped out (unable to boot with this card installed) and I've only been able to boot with a cheapo card I bought for troubleshooting. With this card I can boot into Windows, but get no video on the mac side- which is expected since this card isn't supported.

I would love to buy another duplicate 8800GT for simplicity sake, but I've been having a hard time finding one for a reasonable price. So I'm facing the reality that I may need to buy a more recent card. Can anyone recommend a good newly released card that is compatible with the DS3L?

• 2 weeks later...
9800 should work as a pop in replacement... and it's faster.

Patrick

So I replaced my old 8800gt 512 with a 9800gt 512 and I see the white apple screen when I boot up, but after that... nothing. A couple things: I'm using an Apple Studio Display with an ADC to DVI adapter. I also have windows on a separate hard drive and can boot into it no problem with this setup.

So I tried some troubleshooting with the mac side. When I connected a hdmi cable to my tv, I can boot into the mac side, no problem. The only way I can get past the white apple screen on my Studio Display is if I connect my Studio Display while the HDMI is still connected to the TV. If I then unplug the HDMI cable my display freezes.

Any ideas?

Again I have a EP35-DS3L and I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.8.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

just to say that I installed the new fakesmc with plugins and now on istat menus bar I can have a lot more informations :D , now the CPU heatsink (idle) of my 3.00 Ghz q6600 is 46 Celsius, I don't think it made the cpu run cooler, but before installing it it was always around 60... I'm also using an external rom for my 8800GT and I don't need other tricks for quicktime/mouse pointer :) .

I just love this mainboard and configuration, I think to squeeze it out for another year or more :P