[Guide & Software] A Recipe for Delicious Leopard Soup - Now with Vanilla Flavor!

weaksauce12

1,893 posts in this topic

hi. great guide man, reaaally helpful. gonna buy a new comp. the thing is that the only mobo i can find in new egg that resembles the GA-P35-DS3L is this:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16813128337

its a GA-EP35-DS3L. i read somewhere that the letter "E" behind the P35 means that its energy efficient, but i'm not sure if there's any other major change that will make this board not compatible with this method. don't know that much about mobos to tell the difference. will it work?

also, i'm buying this card:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx...N82E16814500006

its a geforce 8800 gt 512. i know that now much more ban for the buck would be an ati 4850, but that will not be available for osx86 for a while i guess. is this geforce card a good buy? (dont want to spend more than 180 on card). i want to make a balance in gaming (playing age of conan mostly) and also a really good osx86 compatible system.

sorry if this is not the place to ask this, but i read on your guide that these two are the main ingredients for a efficent setup. i'm one click away from making the purchase, just want to make sure.

thanks for feedback!

Yes, this is definitely the right place to ask! I don't know if the EP35 will work or not; I don't have one. I'd recommend sticking with the DS3L because then I can offer support since I have several of those boards. Just buy the board from eWiz: (NewBiiz now, been ordering from them for years!)

http://www.ewiz.com/detail.php?p=MB-P35DS3...92edeaca2c2a9d1

The 512mb 8800GT should work fine with the NVinstaller in my package. Once you have a compatible motherboard and video card, it's all downhill from there. Get a nice dual or quad-core processor, some ram, drives, and KVM and you're all set!

anyone try 10.5.4 after this guide?

A friend of mine has and was successful. I am working on updating the guide - just waiting for my new boot drive to show up so I can clone things over before trying out the update (should be here Wednesday).

So i guess the question is have you tried the new boot 132 method Weaksauce12?

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?showtopic=113288

I have not, but a friend of mine has and was successful. I am waiting until the software gets a little more mature before using it. I think it has the potential to beat EFI-X!

thanks for the feedback weaksauce12!! i'll stick to the GA-P35-DS3L and forget about the GA-EP35-DS3L (better play safe). i'll order my stuff today, thanks man!

No problem, good luck! I should have my 10.5.4 guide out by the end of next week, so by the time your stuff arrives you should have access to the latest and greatest tutorial :(

that would be sweet! read that 10.5.4 can be reached just by upgrading 10.5.3 with the mac updater, if so then thats awesome. but who knows. by the way, i read you are using a Encore ENLWI-N PCI card. is it working ok? i woulnd't mind spending a little more and getting one that works with airport do you know of any?

in any case awesome guide!

hmm i'm smelling some troubles. i just read on the bios page of the mobo that the cpu i ordered is supported on bios v8 (intel e8400 wolfdale). does this means that i wont be able to boot the system if i use the processor until i update the bios? how can i update the bios in order to use the processor?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2629

that would be sweet! read that 10.5.4 can be reached just by upgrading 10.5.3 with the mac updater, if so then thats awesome. but who knows. by the way, i read you are using a Encore ENLWI-N PCI card. is it working ok? i woulnd't mind spending a little more and getting one that works with airport do you know of any?

in any case awesome guide!

Yes, you can upgrade to 10.5.4 directly if you are running a Vanilla kernel, which I am not. I will mess around with it some more next week after my new boot drive comes in.

Yes, the Encore 802.11n card is working wonderfully. It shows up as an Ethernet card; when you go to configure it, it opens up the Ralink Wifi Utility. There are no PCI cards that I know of that show up as a native Airport. The HCL says that the Trendnet does, but my friend picked one up and it requires the Ralink driver as well. It's a small annoyance, but if you're just using it for a desktop, chances are you'll set up the Wifi connection once and be done with it forever...

hmm i'm smelling some troubles. i just read on the bios page of the mobo that the cpu i ordered is supported on bios v8 (intel e8400 wolfdale). does this means that i wont be able to boot the system if i use the processor until i update the bios? how can i update the bios in order to use the processor?

http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherb...?ProductID=2629

I did some research and it appears that the e8400 will be recognized as far back as the F6 BIOS, so according to some other users you should be fine to boot & upgrade with your existing chip. Be sure to get the latest BIOS for your chip so that it will be fully utilized!

Does AHCI really make a difference? I want to use two SATA drives and a SATA DVD with this board together with an old IDE drive (for XP). Any pitfalls I should know about? What about the buggy JMicron driver? I'll have 4 GB in my machine (thinking about the memory bug).

Does AHCI really make a difference? I want to use two SATA drives and a SATA DVD with this board together with an old IDE drive (for XP). Any pitfalls I should know about? What about the buggy JMicron driver? I'll have 4 GB in my machine (thinking about the memory bug).

The only reason I use AHCI is because it's mega-slow to wake from sleep if you have AHCI turned off (instead of instant-on). That's it. I haven't tested IDE, but from what I've read IDE is buggy on Hackintoshes so I haven't bothered. I am running 8 gigs of RAM in my machine without a hitch, so unless there's a special bug that only appears at 4 gigs, the memory problem seems to be a non-issue.

I'm on IDE right now, it's working fine. The JMicron controller on the other is said to be buggy. But I won't be using that on my new DS3L. AFAIK SATA drives are still handled by the Intel chipset even if you set them to IDE mode.

You're on IDE mode on a DS3L? Did you install any special drivers or just the default Kalyway installation? I have an IDE HDD and IDE DVD drive that I will be testing this week (my new boot drive comes today so I will be doing a full rebuild), so if you say it works I'll give them a shot.

You're on IDE mode on a DS3L? Did you install any special drivers or just the default Kalyway installation? I have an IDE HDD and IDE DVD drive that I will be testing this week (my new boot drive comes today so I will be doing a full rebuild), so if you say it works I'll give them a shot.

No, on my Asus A8V. I just ordered the DS3L.

However, I did install Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2 + 5.3 combo) on a friend's DS4 based machine last night. IDE DVD (JMicron) and SATA drive in IDE mode. There's one problem though - if I leave a disc in the drive it stops responding if it hasn't been accessed in a while. Then the whole system stops responding. Same thing happens on my A8V (IDE DVD here as well). Maybe there's a bug in the VIA kext or something.

Btw, why do I need Macdotnub AppleSMBIOS-27? What does it do? For the DS4 I just picked the first one in the Kalyway installer.

Is there a way to make temperature monitoring work? iStat only shows the HD temp on the DS4.

I'll be dual booting Leopard and XP. Can I just install XP on the second partition first and then Leopard on the first to make Darwin the bootloader for both systems?

One more question: if I use OSx86 Tools to backup and restore all kexts when updating, won't that break the update? Or at least make parts of it pointless.

No, on my Asus A8V. I just ordered the DS3L.

However, I did install Leopard (Kalyway 10.5.2 + 5.3 combo) on a friend's DS4 based machine last night. IDE DVD (JMicron) and SATA drive in IDE mode. There's one problem though - if I leave a disc in the drive it stops responding if it hasn't been accessed in a while. Then the whole system stops responding. Same thing happens on my A8V (IDE DVD here as well). Maybe there's a bug in the VIA kext or something.

Btw, why do I need Macdotnub AppleSMBIOS-27? What does it do? For the DS4 I just picked the first one in the Kalyway installer.

Is there a way to make temperature monitoring work? iStat only shows the HD temp on the DS4.

I'll be dual booting Leopard and XP. Can I just install XP on the second partition first and then Leopard on the first to make Darwin the bootloader for both systems?

One more question: if I use OSx86 Tools to backup and restore all kexts when updating, won't that break the update? Or at least make parts of it pointless.

I've noticed that bug in other Hackintoshes as well. In fact my wife's DS3L does it on her SATA drives - sometimes the drive kind of "hangs". I'm going to try for a Vanilla kernel in the 10.5.4 update of the guide because that should eliminate that problem (worked on my Bad Axe 2 anyway).

The Macdotnub SMBIOS will cause the memory to be shown correctly in the System Profiler instead of either crashing/hanging when Memory is clicked on or saying that there is no memory information found. With SMBIOS-27, it shows the banks and what memory is populating the banks.

Temperature monitoring works on the DS3L. The DS4 is a different board and may have a different sensor system than the DS3L does. That's why I narrowed the scope of this tutorial down to the DS3L, specifically Revision 2 (6 USB ports onboard) with the F7 BIOS - there are small, niggling little details between board models and even board revisions. There is the general thread on the Gigabyte board series available (which is excellent), but after reading through it I could tell that a lot of users were having trouble without specific guidance for their particular board models. That's why I created this tutorial, to offer a step-by-step plan for success. I think every board needs a specific guide like this because of the differences in the details between each model.

I have no experience with dual-booting, aside from putting the OS's on different drives and then using the BIOS to select which drive to boot to. I don't even do that anymore because VMware has been working so well for me! There are several dual-boot guides here in the Genius Bar, however - I would suggest consulting one of those. There seems to be several working methods, including using Chain0 and EasyBCD.

As far as backing up your extensions goes, it does not break the 10.5.3 update at all. The reason I have that as a step is because I don't know which specific kexts are required to revert the AHCI drives from Orange to the standard Silver color and have the driver be loaded properly (as shown in the System Profiler under SATA). I'm sure just a couple of kexts are required to make that happen, I just don't know what they are. As soon as I figure that out, I'll eliminate that step and include the kexts in the tutorial package to be installed with Kexthelper. If anyone happens to know what kexts are needed to get AHCI working, please let me know!

Please answe my question, Is it my mind boggling or not? After setting BIOS settings as in your Tutorial does this affects the performace if you compare to Default settings?

Now that ACPI activated it runs somekind of diagnostings for 10 seconds on every boot. Is it supposed to be like that?

And the most importaint it seems like my vista started to work slower after thouse BIOS changes, does this related or not?

I've noticed that bug in other Hackintoshes as well. In fact my wife's DS3L does it on her SATA drives - sometimes the drive kind of "hangs". I'm going to try for a Vanilla kernel in the 10.5.4 update of the guide because that should eliminate that problem (worked on my Bad Axe 2 anyway).

That would be great. I only hope that shutdown and restart will work with the vanilla kernel. I don't use the sleep function.

The Macdotnub SMBIOS will cause the memory to be shown correctly in the System Profiler instead of either crashing/hanging when Memory is clicked on or saying that there is no memory information found. With SMBIOS-27, it shows the banks and what memory is populating the banks.

Ok, there seems to be a lot of different editions of the SMBIOS kext floating around. So I shouldn't use any of the ones from the Kalyway disc? IIRC there was one with the number 27 in there. Do you know what's different with the 'hardcoded' one? That's the one I picked for the DS4.

Temperature monitoring works on the DS3L. The DS4 is a different board and may have a different sensor system than the DS3L does. That's why I narrowed the scope of this tutorial down to the DS3L, specifically Revision 2 (6 USB ports onboard) with the F7 BIOS - there are small, niggling little details between board models and even board revisions. There is the general thread on the Gigabyte board series available (which is excellent), but after reading through it I could tell that a lot of users were having trouble without specific guidance for their particular board models. That's why I created this tutorial, to offer a step-by-step plan for success. I think every board needs a specific guide like this because of the differences in the details between each model.

I'm not sure if I'm getting rev 2.0, it doesn't say. But I'm not worried at all. The only difference seems to be the number of onboard USB ports (total number is still 12).

I have no experience with dual-booting, aside from putting the OS's on different drives and then using the BIOS to select which drive to boot to. I don't even do that anymore because VMware has been working so well for me! There are several dual-boot guides here in the Genius Bar, however - I would suggest consulting one of those. There seems to be several working methods, including using Chain0 and EasyBCD.

Apparently the Darwin bootloader will work for XP as well, so I just set the drive up as MBR and then install XP first.

As far as backing up your extensions goes, it does not break the 10.5.3 update at all. The reason I have that as a step is because I don't know which specific kexts are required to revert the AHCI drives from Orange to the standard Silver color and have the driver be loaded properly (as shown in the System Profiler under SATA). I'm sure just a couple of kexts are required to make that happen, I just don't know what they are. As soon as I figure that out, I'll eliminate that step and include the kexts in the tutorial package to be installed with Kexthelper. If anyone happens to know what kexts are needed to get AHCI working, please let me know!

I'll choose the IDE mode to begin with and then try AHCI when I have everything set up. I just downloaded the AHCI driver for XP and an installation guide.

Thank you for a great guide! Looking forward to the next part. :)

weaksauce12, thank you so much for this great guide. I also have P35-DS3L. The only thing difference from your spec is video card. I have Asus 9600GT and EVGA GeForce 8600GT 256MB. I know that 9600GT is not compatible with OSX yet. 8600GT should be fine. I plan to reinstall OSX in this coming weekend. :wacko:

Moreover, I will keep looking this guide for your updated new boot 132 method. :)

Ok, there seems to be a lot of different editions of the SMBIOS kext floating around. So I shouldn't use any of the ones from the Kalyway disc? IIRC there was one with the number 27 in there. Do you know what's different with the 'hardcoded' one? That's the one I picked for the DS4.
The Macdotnub version makes Memory show correctly in System Profiler (how many sticks of ram and how much ram in which banks). Hardcoded just means it has the Mhz value such as 800 typed and saved into the file. You can update it yourself to customize it, such as if you are using 1333mhz ram or whatever.
I'm not sure if I'm getting rev 2.0, it doesn't say. But I'm not worried at all. The only difference seems to be the number of onboard USB ports (total number is still 12).
From what I can tell, it seems like the additional 2 USB ports are the only major revision on the Revision 2 motherboard. However, since I don't have a Revision 1 model to play with, I didn't want to say that my guide supports it when I haven't tested it myself or talked with someone who has. If you get the board with 4 USB ports and want to try my guide and are successful (or not), let me know and I will update my guide to include both boards. Sometimes there are hidden differences between board revisions, which is why I explicitly say Rev.2 with BIOS F7 instead of all versions.
I'll choose the IDE mode to begin with and then try AHCI when I have everything set up. I just downloaded the AHCI driver for XP and an installation guide.
Both IDE and AHCI mode work, but AHCI gives you instant wake from sleep whereas IDE mode takes a good 10-20 seconds to fully wake from sleep.
Please answe my question, Is it my mind boggling or not? After setting BIOS settings as in your Tutorial does this affects the performace if you compare to Default settings?Now that ACPI activated it runs somekind of diagnostings for 10 seconds on every boot. Is it supposed to be like that?And the most importaint it seems like my vista started to work slower after thouse BIOS changes, does this related or not?
Yes, it runs a drive detection script every time you boot up. It's annoying but necessary if you want AHCI, which gives you Instant Wake from Sleep. I have heard that Vista is slower after enabling AHCI, but I don't use Vista on my machine so maybe someone who does could answer that for you.

Hi, i'm a newbie, is the Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3L mobo the same as the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L??? It is because the Gigabyte GA-EP35-DS3L is the only one i have available to purchase. I just want to get it right.

Thanks

Nope. The EP35 is a different model. I do not know if this guide applies to the EP35 or not.

they are the same........

and i dont understand why this guide isnt trying to go for the simplest vanilla install

Are you positive they are the same? I've heard otherwise...

I did try Vanilla, it messed up my restart/reboot. Now you understand why this guide isn't trying to go for the simplest vanilla install :)

they are the same........

and i dont understand why this guide isnt trying to go for the simplest vanilla install

I installed using Kalyway 10.5.1 using the vanilla kernel and the "fix", updated to 10.5.2. My sleep works 100%, but my restart and reboot work inconsistently. Having them work 100% (as weaksauce12 says it does) is a pretty darn good reason to use a different kernel.

I have a ga p35 ds3l and a ga ep35c ds3r and as fars drivers are concerned there is not much difference. One of the board have 8 sata ports and is raid. It also has the ability to take ddr2 and ddr3. One is able to be over clocked more. Other than that there is not much difference they both use the same sh :( tty jmicron drivers.

Gigabyte has a comparison sheet that can compare the features of any motherboard they have if anyone has questions. I hope this helps anyone who would have this questions as i once did. There is a forum that tell how to install kalyway on the ds3 -- motherboards and also states that there is not much difference.

I have install kalyway on both motherboards with no problems. :):P

Hey folks, i just wanted to interject here that if you're following wireds guide (which works, as if you look at my specs I am running the same motherboard) then make sure you're using the hardware he reccomends.

Its on the first page of the guide in BIG BOLD RED LETTERS.

Remember OSX is incredibly picky, compatibility is key - Weaksauce has been hacking away at OSX builds since november with us and what he says works. It also requires a bit of technical know how and a good sprinkling of luck. Your mileage may vary - but he's done all the pre-testing for you.

If you're using components that are not listed in his build suggestions, than you're forging your own way - He's built the guide based on his own hardware and his own experiences. Please using this forum to offer any experiences you have with alternative builds if they deviate from what he's suggesting. That includes slightly different revisions of the motherboard, dvd drives etc - everything makes a HUGE difference, the same manufacturer may make a completely different component from day to day, remember all of these components are coming from chinese/taiwanese manufacturing plants with vastly underpaid labour just so you can enjoy a bit of OSX on hardware it was NEVER MEANT TO BE ON.

If it works, excellent - you've got osx on common hardware - go play, learn and share your experiences with it here.

If it doesn't work, don't complain - your hardware runs windows.

Weaksauce, Stellarolla and myself have all gone through many many motherboards and various parts to make a working experience for people here, take it from us and just follow the advice.

Read, learn, put it into practice, jump in with both feet.

-Onetrack.