Overclocking Core Duo & Solo

Swad

21 posts in this topic

I wouldn't recommend overclocking any of the current mactels - unless you want to run it inside a freezer or something - not exactly much room for extra cooling.

I have actually a MBP 2GHz, you think that something differ in his design to the ones with a 2,16GHz proc ?

Overclocking (if it was feasible) our procs to the higher supported frequency should be safe since they share the same form factor than the higher frequency models, isn't it ?

overclocking through software update? :D
In the first place he did not mention Software Update, he only said "Software", then why is so funny, do you know utilities like this: http://www.cpuid.com/clockgen.php

ClockGen is an program dedicated to overclocking. Its main purpose is to change the system clocks on the fly : FSB (Front Side Bus) and GSB (Graphic Side Bus). ClockGen also provides some functions that allow you to improve and monitor your overclock.

I can overclock my PC with this. someone want to try in Darwine?

well I've got a windows machine with a core duo, and clockgen can't overclock it. PLL is fine, and clocks are read and are correct, but whenever you update them, it'll just reset when the cores power up/down.

Basically, at any one time, either both cores can be active, or one core is active. The other core can power up for intensive tasks, and shut off otherwise (and this is possible due to the shared cache). Run CPU-Z, and watch your processor clock speed. Then move windows around very fast, and watch it suddenly double, then go back to half when you stop. That's the second core doing it's work. Because the clock speed keeps varying like this, the core duo doesn't seem overclockable through software. Perhaps with a firmware mod, but that'd be dangerous.

well I've got a windows machine with a core duo, and clockgen can't overclock it. PLL is fine, and clocks are read and are correct, but whenever you update them, it'll just reset when the cores power up/down.

Basically, at any one time, either both cores can be active, or one core is active. The other core can power up for intensive tasks, and shut off otherwise (and this is possible due to the shared cache). Run CPU-Z, and watch your processor clock speed. Then move windows around very fast, and watch it suddenly double, then go back to half when you stop. That's the second core doing it's work. Because the clock speed keeps varying like this, the core duo doesn't seem overclockable through software. Perhaps with a firmware mod, but that'd be dangerous.

well if thats how the processor operates, that isnt the second core kicking in. thats BOTH cores actually being clocked down to save power (a reason why AMD has been beating intel in server design).

its basically like AMD's Cool n Quiet tech or that PowerNow garbage.

or quite like my Video card. In 2D apps, its at 300/1000mhz. in 3D apps, its at 500/1200mhz.

It has nothing to do with the second core. there are single core processors that do the same thing.

the clock speed would not diminish if one core was active. each core has it's own separate clock generator. they are BOTH running at 2.0 or 2.16, or 1.83 or whatever.

• 1 month later...
well if thats how the processor operates, that isnt the second core kicking in. thats BOTH cores actually being clocked down to save power (a reason why AMD has been beating intel in server design).

its basically like AMD's Cool n Quiet tech or that PowerNow garbage.

or quite like my Video card. In 2D apps, its at 300/1000mhz. in 3D apps, its at 500/1200mhz.

It has nothing to do with the second core. there are single core processors that do the same thing.

the clock speed would not diminish if one core was active. each core has it's own separate clock generator. they are BOTH running at 2.0 or 2.16, or 1.83 or whatever.

Actually, this IS to do with the second core. When Intel advertise 1.8/2.0 Ghz Core Duos, they mean that you get 2x 900Mhz, 2x1000Mhz cores. Core Duos don't have the speedstep thing - they use new powersaving technology (which is a combination of being able to go into deeper sleep states, and being able to shut down a single core and keep the system stable). It's not only what you see from observatoin, its what Intel document as going on :D

Do you have ANY link with information regarding the "2x900, 2x1000MHz" stuff? Because "under-1GHz" processors era has dawn many years ago. Is this real information you have or you just think with something else instead of brain?

Just so you all know, these chips are highly overclockable on the Aopen 975X-YDGa board with the right cooling and a mod to the board.

Here's a link for those those that are interested.

At 3.8GHz, the chip shatters the world record for SuperPi, which was held by a 7.2GHz P4.

http://www.madshrimps.be/forums/showthread...&threadid=23453

That board without modding can only go to 2.6GHz but even at 2.6GHz, the FX-60 gets spanked in many ways.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.as...=coreduo&page=8

These results are why I'm excited for Conroe... and excited to see AMD's answer to Conroe.

• 4 weeks later...

I'd just like to point out that if the Core Duo 2.0ghz is in fact 2 1ghz processors... then is the Core Solo 1.66 1 1.66ghz processor? ;-p

Since we know for a fact that the Core Solo is a Core Duo with one core disabled at the factory, that means that a Core Solo 1.66 is actually a significantly higher performer than the Core Due 2.0... Right?

+giggles like a japanese schoolgirl+

• 3 weeks later...

duhhhh...no

when they say 2.0 GHZ dual core they mean each core is 2.0

4ghz combined

otherwise, there would be no point. you could just cut all the jazz talk and buy a regluar one cause there would be so speed increase

"With two dual-core processors, at speeds up to 2.5GHz per core, the Power Mac G5 Quad doubles the punch of its dual-processor predecessor"

Two processors at 2.0 GHz doesn't mean you're going to get 4GHz worth of performance. Infact, if you had a Core Solo @ 4.0 GHz, it would be a lot faster than a Core Duo @ 2.0 GHz. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a big diesel truck, the Ferrari is going to go faster, but the big diesel truck will be able to pull a heavier load. Someone who is into gaming would probably want to go with a fast single core processor where as a heavy multitasker would want a dual core processor.

Two processors at 2.0 GHz doesn't mean you're going to get 4GHz worth of performance. Infact, if you had a Core Solo @ 4.0 GHz, it would be a lot faster than a Core Duo @ 2.0 GHz. It's like comparing a Ferrari to a big diesel truck, the Ferrari is going to go faster, but the big diesel truck will be able to pull a heavier load. Someone who is into gaming would probably want to go with a fast single core processor where as a heavy multitasker would want a dual core processor.

unless you're running a game that is multithreaded. but even after that fact, a 4.0 single AMD will be faster than a 2.6 dually AMD.

for example.

Doom 3 runs ok on my comp, but it's choppy at high res.

Quake4 runs ok on my comp, but it's choppy at medium res, a bit better with SMP enabled.

Prey Demo (which is fooking awesome by the way) runs amazing on my comp, with max res, and all detail turned up. even with my 128 mb video ram, it still runs about as fast as 1024x768 in quake4 with SMP and ultrahigh quality --- which generally consumes more than 256 mb of vram for textures alone.

i think the level of development put into each program is what is the variable that affects speed the most, and even for a Demo, PREY has that locked down pretty good.

I feel sorry for the person that overclocks their Macbook/Pro. They're already having a difficult enough time staying cool as it is.

Tell me about it, all sorts of issues.

MBP=Too HOT ON THE TOP

MB=To hot on bottom, GPU artifacts, GMA only, $150 for black, White gets discolored.

ahhhhhhhhh, no.

The only thing that may be worth anything is the iMAC but they should be $999 and $1199 since they offer no 800FW, no Card Reader, no expansion slots for more drives.

The newer chips will blow these away and should rectify some of the problems, whether they make it to the MB and MBP is another story.