microsoft office replacement (FREE) from openoffice.org

Chiisuchianu

28 posts in this topic

hey guys just wanted to show you all this software. this is something that basically replaces microsoft office. it is completely FREE. ive said earlier everyone benefits from threatning the big companies with competition and microsoft has resently made public statements belittleing this site/product. it obviously shows their fear, and just like with the adobe replacer (found in this thread :whistle: ) i think we should spread this one around too!

http://www.openoffice.org/

the only thing people dont seem to like is the interface but it has most features office has and is more stable according to many reports.

;)

p.s. it can read microsoft office formats and works for both windows and mac! enjoy

And yet the OS X Builds are still PPC. Might as well install Office unit OOo releases a UB version.

There are some things that many users consider when buy a application. How deap does it integrate with the OS? Can it sync information with iCal, Address Book, Mail. Will it support Smart Phones Sync?

I went there several months ago at the time there was two verions, I put both on a powerbook. OO 1.1.2 and ther lighter version called Neo-Office, they both work great just as OO does on all the Linux distros.

There was an UB compile somewhere, in the wiki maybe...

But OO still isnt quite a replacement for MS... for starters - try inserting page numbers. In MS its a couple of clicks, and here you can spend like 15 just to find out how :)

I found a link to a Universal Binary of OpenOffice somehwre on thri site, but I forget where. The Intel Build is odd though because it uses X11 to run the Linux version and has Windows/Linux Keyboard shortcuts and does not integrate with the menu system on the Apple bar at the top of the screen. It did run really fast though. If I find the link, I will post it.

the thing I don't like about OOorg (using an intel build here - 2rc4) is the way X11 pops up when you open it. That doesn't happen on the Windows version of OO. Is there any way to stop the X11 term from opening up? like a -quiet mode or something?

the thing I don't like about OOorg (using an intel build here - 2rc4) is the way X11 pops up when you open it. That doesn't happen on the Windows version of OO. Is there any way to stop the X11 term from opening up? like a -quiet mode or something?

No, OOo is terrible on OS X, try NeoOffice/J or better yet, AbiWord.

There isn't a way. X11 will constantly pop up.

For Microsoft Office compatibility and more, I continue to scream AppleWorks (and iWork since Keynote feels more elegant than PowerPoint). Word Processing, Spreadsheet, Database, Presentation, Drawing, and Painting. It will even open Word and Excel files (but sadly, not PowerPoint).

Hi guys,

anyone tried ThinkFree Office? Looks like a real good package.

Click on the image to get on the website.

home_package.gif

Also available for iPod and via Browser. :D

I installed ThinFree, and its very good. Well, the Write program is anyway, I couldn't get the Calc or Show programs to load - "an error has occured" and they just shut down. It IS unibin though, which is nice. My log does show that its a Java error:

java.lang.UnsatisfiedLinkError: /Applications/ThinkFree Office 3.0/Office/3.0/package/libJNIMacOSX.jnilib:

If I hadn't just bought iWork then I would buy this I think. But as I'm skint now I think I'll stick to OOo for the time-being (wish iWork had a spreadsheet app gah)

THERE IS A WAY NOT TO POP UP xterm !!!

found it on the open office website : pdf called HowTO install ooo on osx !!!

do this :

sudo nano /etc/X11/xinit/xinitrc

go to line " xterm & "

add "#" like this : # xterm &

:pirate2: No more xterm popup, only openoffice. :hysterical:

I've got a bugg into 10.4.5 with ooo rc m156 : i can't save docs cause a locked file

(bugg from ooo ?) only with root account i can save every type of docs...

(not this bug with osx 10.4.3)

Do you have seen this bugg too with the ooo 2.02 rc4_intel under osx 10.4.5 ?

you will find the openoffice 2.02 macintel rc4 [language] at :

ftp://ooopackages.good-day.net/pub/OpenOffice.org/MacOSX/

OK, fine, i will test that this evening on my machine...

Maybe i have this bug because i installed ooo M156 logged into the GUI root account, and then

when i logged into my own (admin) account, the ooo home/user directory could be locked for/by

something...

I will install ooo 2.02 rc4 into my own admin acccount and see what append !

xiberia, with witch account do you install the ooo rc4 ? your own admin account by drag and drop

into application directory or with command line into terminal : sudo -s and cp -R /volumes/....... the dmg

to application folder ???

Thanks

i'm not running as root, just my own account. I can't remember whether OOo had its own installer, i think i just dragged it into my Applications folder, but if it had an installer then I used that (sorry, I've installed/uninstalled so much on this machine over the last week I don't even know whats on it anymore, let alone how it got there lol :) )

Yes there was a UB version placed on the official site and was quickly removed for some reason. I only download files from the source project. Abi? Umm, no thnaks ;)

probably for the same reason that it killed my 10.4.3 installation.

it froze my box at the "installing scripts" portion of the installation

xiberia, with witch account do you install the ooo rc4 ? your own admin account by drag and drop

into application directory or with command line into terminal : sudo -s and cp -R /volumes/....... the dmg

to application folder ???

Thanks

ermmm.... I only have one account on my machine, its the one that OSX set up when I installed it. So I just installed OOo RC4 on that. Works fine.

(I didn't do any terminal/sudo stuff to install it)

I'll try making another account on here later and see if OOo still works on that account.

I am using the RC4 from this thread but I get

Link (dyld) error:

Library not loaded: /usr/X11R6/lib/libfreetype.6.dylib

Referenced from: /Users/skipskip1/Desktop/OpenOffice.org 2.0.app/Contents/open

office.org/program/libvcl680mxi.dylib

Reason: image not found

in the Library/Logs/CrashReporter/soffice.bin.crash.log

but that file is there at 3mb..

using 10.4.5 with 2006-01 patch.

1.1 and 2.0 both don't work..

hey guys, filling you in on another application someone showed me. this one is free to i believe and has a mac os x looking graphical interface. looks better than open office but well see if it works as good too.

http://www.abisource.com/

while you're kind opensource posts are nice, it should be brought to your attention that these alternatives, while great, really can't/won't replace office.