What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Ok my mouse and stuff is still freezing in Safari (and other apps). The whole system will freeze for half a second then continue, and it will keep doing this every few seconds until the page is done loading. LiveType is doing it as well. These are basically the only two apps I've been using.

I'll remove the drivers and see if it still happens. It's pretty darn annoying ;).

Boot with -s and remove the files (Natit.kext and ATIRadeonX2000.kext). Then re-install Netkas' package. ;)

stop by the channel :) no i meant there is no go for the quail fb for any of those cards :D mine works fine also

Hi

has anyone been able to get their 4870 working on a gigabyte ep45 ds3 mobo with onboard audio (ALC899a) working as well? (azalia codec enabled in bios)

Using the drivers supplied by netkas, I was able to get the video card working perfectly (thanks to everyone for all your hard work btw) but I could not then get audio working.

After much messing around, I ended up reinstalling (iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6) and managed to get audio working eventually (lots of other threads on this...) but at that stage I hadn't actually installed the video drivers again.

Then when I tried installing the video drivers again, the system hangs on booting at the white apple screen.

Tried booting with -s, -f etc, - didn't help

Tried switching DVI ports and the DVI-VGA adapter - didn't help

Reinstalled iDeneb, installed video drivers again - ok

installed audio drivers - and it hangs at the apple screen again

So basically it seems I can have audio OR video, but not both...frustrating.

Any ideas?

My specs fwiw E8500 C2D @ 3.5ghz; 4gb ram; EP45 DS3 mobo; MSI 4870 512mb;

Hi

has anyone been able to get their 4870 working on a gigabyte ep45 ds3 mobo with onboard audio (ALC899a) working as well? (azalia codec enabled in bios)

Using the drivers supplied by netkas, I was able to get the video card working perfectly (thanks to everyone for all your hard work btw) but I could not then get audio working.

After much messing around, I ended up reinstalling (iDeneb 1.4 10.5.6) and managed to get audio working eventually (lots of other threads on this...) but at that stage I hadn't actually installed the video drivers again.

Then when I tried installing the video drivers again, the system hangs on booting at the white apple screen.

Tried booting with -s, -f etc, - didn't help

Tried switching DVI ports and the DVI-VGA adapter - didn't help

Reinstalled iDeneb, installed video drivers again - ok

installed audio drivers - and it hangs at the apple screen again

So basically it seems I can have audio OR video, but not both...frustrating.

Any ideas?

My specs fwiw E8500 C2D @ 3.5ghz; 4gb ram; EP45 DS3 mobo; MSI 4870 512mb;

I have EP35-DS3L (ALC888) working with a 4870. DVI cable in slot closer to mobo, DVI to VGA adaptor needs to be in the other.

I'm not using an injector or EFI strings.. just HDAEnabler

-S is for single login/safe mode, won't help you in this case.

-F is needed! apply it to each boot with OSX86Tools so you don't forget.

-V use it to check why you are getting a kernel panic or whatever at boot.

Which method exactly are you using for audio?

How are you installing the kext? Remember to repair permissions!

So, quick update on my situation (HD4870 Golden Sample). I finally have received my dvi-vga adaptator. I had my display work but not exactly the netkas way: plugged hdmi-dvi then dvi-vga and then separately my vga monitor onto vga connector. I now have to keep the adaptators plugged to get it working; if I disconnect any of adapter display wouldn't work (not that bothering me).

I have some issues on counterpart:

1- mouse cursor blinks on some applications

2- on boot I have a display with far too much gamma and contrast, I have to unplug and replug the adapters to get it right each time I restart mac

3- my usb disks have some problems when resuming from sleep

If anyone has any suggestion...

thanx

I just signed up to post a big THANKS! to netkas and everyone helping out on the OSx86 scene! I've been lurking for quite some time, especially this thread, waiting for news of progress on the HD4850.

Anyways, I just installed 10.5.6 using "iPC OSx86 Universal 10.5.6 Final ISO" on my PC (see specs at the bottom) and had zero problems with a vanilla installation. Using netkas' 7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg I was able to get full resolution (currently using 1200x1600 as I have 2 big old CRTs, so i can't comment on widescreen) It took me a while to figure out what I was doing (this was my 1st hackintosh install) but once I got a hang of it everything worked like magic.

Interestingly, I didn't have to do any DVI port swapping or anything and both monitors are working. I haven't tried to extend my desktop yet, so the 2nd monitor is a copy of the 1st. Both monitors are VGA CRTs (one 21" one 22") both using DVI-to-VGA adapters.

Specs:

Gigabyte EP35-DS3L

Intel Core 2 Duo E4400 (2.0GHz)

Saphire HD4850 PCI-E 16x

2 Western Digital SATA HDD

1 Seagate ATA IDE HDD (OS X install)

2GB 800 DDR2 RAM

Thanks again to everyone on this site, it has helped me immensely! If anyone has any questions, feel free to ask and I'll do my best to get back to you.

Alright...this is REALLY starting to {censored} me off. I just went to a weather site that had a java-based radar page and my mouse was REALLY freezing every half second. This IS a driver issue. I can remove the drivers and this doesn't happen. This doesn't only happen with Safari, but with other apps as well. Hopefully all these bugs will be fixed soon.

Alright...this is REALLY starting to {censored} me off. I just went to a weather site that had a java-based radar page and my mouse was REALLY freezing every half second. This IS a driver issue. I can remove the drivers and this doesn't happen. This doesn't only happen with Safari, but with other apps as well. Hopefully all these bugs will be fixed soon.

Link please?

I, personally, haven't had any problems with Java apps or anything. Granted, I've only been on OSx86 for about 8 hours so far, but Azureus (Vuze) runs fine and there is zero screen jump on my end, thankfully.

It also might be comforting to know that I saw this earlier today:

Developers are still being asked to focus their testing on data synchronisation as well as networking, graphics drivers, Mail, printing and more.

Only two known issues are listed: the Safari 4 beta still cannot be installed on 10.5.7, and there's a problem with CoreRAIDServer crashing.

The apparent progress being made by Apple's team suggests 10.5.7 could be out in a matter of weeks.

So will the Easter Bunny bring 10.5.7 along with the chocolate eggs? We'll have to wait and see.

http://www.itwire.com/content/view/23692/1151/1/1/

i just finished installing or initializing my HIS 4870 512mb with the 7_radeon_hd_48x0_drivers.pkg under 10.5.6 from iatkos 5i. first removed the current card an 8800gs 384mb, didn't do anything else like removing the old nvidia kexts, just turned off comp physically removed the 8800, booted up with dvi-d-sub adapter on 4870, was in vesa mode at that point, installed radeon hd 48x0 package, rebooted. on first reboot got black screen, so i swapped out the dvi-d-sub adapter for a dvi cable with no adapter on the #1 dvi output, rebooted and voila! everything is working fine so far, though i will either buy an aftermarket fan/heatsink for the 4870 after warranty is up, or mod the bios for a higher fan speed as the exhaust is quite warm for my tastes.

just like to say thanks to the productive community in this thread, and netkas in particular. thanks!!11one1!

Link to what, the site? It doesn't matter what site it is. The mouse mainly acts up when it's loading a page. As stated in my last post (and other posts where I posted that I have this problem), it doesn't just happen in Safari.

Yeah, I meant the site. Either way, it's strange that it's just happening to you. You ought to install a plain retail Leopard and see if you still get these problems. Only then can you be sure that it's something related to your hardware configuration that's causing the drivers to function incorrectly...

Yeah, I meant the site. Either way, it's strange that it's just happening to you. You ought to install a plain retail Leopard and see if you still get these problems. Only then can you be sure that it's something related to your hardware configuration that's causing the drivers to function incorrectly...

I already know it's a driver issue. I can remove the drivers and it will all work fine. Hopefully since netkas and whoever has some new files/tweaks (whatever...) from the Mac Pro, maybe new drivers will be released soon.

I already know it's a driver issue. I can remove the drivers and it will all work fine. Hopefully since netkas and whoever has some new files/tweaks (whatever...) from the Mac Pro, maybe new drivers will be released soon.

Well don't you find it weird that you're the only person experiencing this problem? It may be down to the fact that you have modified files/kexts which aren't present on a retail Leopard installation which the driver may depend on... I'm not an expert, and I'm not saying this will cure your problem, but I know from experience that OS X on PC's is very much a trial and error game - you need to look at all the variables and swap them around to find what works for you.

I have not yet seen any reports of anyone else getting this problem, which leads me to think the 'issue' is with your setup/hardware configuration - not the driver.

Tell me this: How come it doesn't happen when the drivers are active? That seems to tell me that it's the driver. I don't at all feel like doing another install of this.

ACTUALLY, I remember when this driver first came out, I installed it on a smooth clean install and I actually did experience this...

Tell me this: How come it doesn't happen when the drivers are active? That seems to tell me that it's the driver. I don't at all feel like doing another install of this.

Do you mean "when the drivers aren't active"? Otherwise I don't actually understand what you mean... When you don't use the HD 48xx drivers, a generic display driver is used to make the basic functionality of your graphics card work.

Tell me this: how come there have been no other reported incidents of this problem other than yours?

Ugh, I don't know. As I said, I'm not an expert... I'm not claiming to have the answer to your problem. I'm just trying to encourage you to look at everything, rather than just put it down to a 'driver issue'...

:unsure:

I've already tried these drivers on a clean install (with iPC 10.5.6 with the latest PPF patches up to the nForce 1.1 patch) and it did the same thing. I appreciate your help, but I'll just wait until some new drivers until I mess with this stuff anymore.

I'm not sure why I'm the only one with this problem, but oh well.

I've already tried these drivers on a clean install (with iPC 10.5.6 with the latest PPF patches up to the nForce 1.1 patch) and it did the same thing. I appreciate your help, but I'll just wait until some new drivers until I mess with this stuff anymore.

I'm not sure why I'm the only one with this problem, but oh well.

I didn't say clean install. I said retail install. This is where the retail Leopard DVD (that you can buy from an Apple store) is used, instead of a modified OS X DVD, such as iPC or iATKOS. :unsure:

I quote:

It may be down to the fact that you have modified files/kexts which aren't present on a retail Leopard installation which the driver may depend on

I have no idea on how to patch a retail DVD to work on an AMD-based PC, nor do I want to spend $120 on it, plus there isn't a store within 3 hours of me that has Leopard (well this one store near me has the 3-pack that include iLife/iWork '09 and Leopard...).

So you can download iPC but you can't download a retail leo iso? Search around, it's out there. :unsure:

Also take a look here: http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=140683