What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

any news, im still looking to get one of these!

I don't think so.

The question is: is it really supported by 10.6 ?

Because, as far as I know, I haven't seen any proof of concept for RV770 or GT200 yet.

But maybe I haven't searched deep enough.

If we have to wait for the final 10.6, the RV870 and GT300 will be about to be released too at this moment, and one more time, OSX video support won't be up to date with the latest GPU releases... and that's too bad !

well, after doing a little research, i figured out how =]

all you do is when OS X is booting up, it will ask you if you want to boot normally or not.

press F8 and type in the following:

?video

then look through to see if 1680x1050 is there and if it is...

type this in:

"Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32"

if it's not, look for something that's close to that resolution and just replace it.

so if you can't find 1680x1050, but 1600x1200 is there...type in this:

"Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32"

btw, the 32 is the depth, like in windows there is which bit you want to put it as..this is that.

good luck =D

Hello :)

at first, sorry for my english ... the school is long long away ;)

i also have the hd4850 an iatkos v4

i start my pc with F8 (EFI) and type "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" but osx is booting only 640x480 :(

can anybody help me for finishing this little thing ??? please :D

mfg Uwe

Hello :)

at first, sorry for my english ... the school is long long away ;)

i also have the hd4850 an iatkos v4

i start my pc with F8 (EFI) and type "Graphics Mode"="1024x768x32" but osx is booting only 640x480 :)

can anybody help me for finishing this little thing ??? please :D

mfg Uwe

try booting with different resolutions that is supported by ur display....if still cannot the problem might be elsewhere.

yea my resolution is at 1280x1024 and its working fine. Currently using XP full-time really hope to get back to OSX soon as I just migrated to OSX a few months back so its my main OS. My current XP is bare Sh!+ with only games on it.

try booting with different resolutions that is supported by ur display....if still cannot the problem might be elsewhere.

yea my resolution is at 1280x1024 and its working fine. Currently using XP full-time really hope to get back to OSX soon as I just migrated to OSX a few months back so its my main OS. My current XP is bare Sh!+ with only games on it.

thank you for answering :(

when i stop the boot with F8 and type ?video this resolution is supported and my TV (32" Sharp) has an mx Resolution 1280x720 ...

i think that i have type the wrong command ... sorry for "nerven" (thats the german word, i dont know an english equal :(

Uwe :(

thank you for answering :)

when i stop the boot with F8 and type ?video this resolution is supported and my TV (32" Sharp) has an mx Resolution 1280x720 ...

i think that i have type the wrong command ... sorry for "nerven" (thats the german word, i dont know an english equal ;)

Uwe :)

no ideas ??? :| ... i only want to surf in the internet ... i dont need QI QE

no ideas ??? ;) ... i only want to surf in the internet ... i dont need QI QE

don't really get what your trying to say in your previous post but it your max resolution is 1280x720(this is normal for tvs) then just use

"Graphics Mode"="1280x720x32". I don't hook up tvs so if it does't work you have to look else where.

Do you guys think apple is goin to use this types of cards in the new mac pro's etc? I mean, it's a good card and I guess apple wants to update their hardware once in a while, so how big is the chance they are going to support this..

I just bought a new baby with an Abit IX38-QuadGT, Intel Core 2 Quad Q9450, 4GB of DDR, 2x Sapphire HD4850 512MB, Samsung Spinpoint F1 1000GB, Raptor 150GB, so that will be the perfect Mac Pro-equal pc......

yes

no

Yeah I'd agree with this completely :D Apple currently ATi cards so it stand to reason that at some stage in the future they'll offer support for the ATi 4000 series cards. When they will offer support is anyones guess.

• 2 weeks later...
If I use a driver for x1900 will I be able to get a higher resolution? On Pc, radeon drivers are radeon drivers.....

No. The windows driver has already been extended to support HD4800 series (try some driver from 2007 with your 4800, it won't work); the mac one hasn't.

10.5.5 seems to bring support for 4800 series.

Look on netkas.org, he examined an early 10.5.5 build by checking the kext (=drivers) for functions and PCI IDs specific for 4800 series.

It's not very hard to do; just extract the update, open the kexts with your favorite editor/debugger and look around. The only hard part is getting the build :-)

One leaked to "the Bay", go and have a look yourself, but I don't know if that's exactly the build netkas looked at.

Look on netkas.org, he examined an early 10.5.5 build by checking the kext (=drivers) for functions and PCI IDs specific for 4800 series.

It's not very hard to do; just extract the update, open the kexts with your favorite editor/debugger and look around. The only hard part is getting the build :-)

One leaked to "the Bay", go and have a look yourself, but I don't know if that's exactly the build netkas looked at.

great news can you please rip that driver out so we cna use it now?

great news can you please rip that driver out so we cna use it now?

They don't work yet. There are functions related to the HD4800 GPU, but all you get is a black screen according to netkas. I, myself, don't own a HD4800 yet, so I couldn't try it anyway.

To quote from netkas' blog:

Now about so popular RV770 chips (Radeon HD 4850/4870), I personaly got 4850 and it’s wanderfull for it’s moneys.

no sign of support in snow leopard. But, 10.5.5 has new ati framebyffer driver (2d, res switching), called Megaladon,

which has a lot of functions to work with rv770, even some for rv730. so far it’s not working yet, gives black screen.

Has anyone with a 48x0 actually tried to update to 5.5 besides nickhe? Would be nice if someone else could confirm this. Heck at this point I think I may try it myself if I can find it.

One thing to note (in case anyone is confused); if you are like me and have a 4850 and looking to use (for example) 10.5.2, then it will work right out of the box BUT it will not be able to do anything 3D. In fact the resolution itself will be hard locked to something low such as 1000x700.

Perhaps that was what nickhe meant? Either way I hope to find out soon.