What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

Apparently there's references to R770 somewhere in the kexts, but I can't see anything clear that indicates that they would work. So far I haven't been able to do the obvious and stick the card in the system because I've been really busy. If someone has a 4850 and time, try sticking your device ID in the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and see what happens.

ok I'll be the guinea pig. selling my 7600gt today and getting the 4850 tmr. I'll post what ever result...lets hope for the best!

noob question guys: if i have a 4870, will i be still able to install osx in the pc? i mean, i know the OS won't recognise the card as a 4870, but will it at least have some basic recognition of it so i can use the OS?

thanks!

noob question guys: if i have a 4870, will i be still able to install osx in the pc? i mean, i know the OS won't recognise the card as a 4870, but will it at least have some basic recognition of it so i can use the OS?

thanks!

without drivers the card runs in vesa mode - no acceleration, dualscreen and resolution only changeable via commandline. otherwise it should work.

I will try this though I'm a bit of a noob with kext editing.

I have a 4870, but the only difference between a 4850, and 4870 is the type of ram. The cores are identical so give me a second I'll grab that ID, boot to windows... modify the kext and load it up and see how I go

I tried adding 0x9440 which apparently is the ID for the HD4870 but got nothing when I installed the kext

Thanks for checking that out, bobbobson. R770 is different enough from R600 that there's not much hope of existing drivers working :D

I tried both the HD4850, and 4870 ID's and it ignored both and booted straight up using the VESA drivers ;)

From what I have read, the references out there with regards to HD4xxx support reffer to an ATi developer kit. So it may be a case that there are/were drivers out there, but that they'd be specific to the ATi dev kit in question.

The other chance is if someone tries this on snow leopard or grabs a later kext possibly from snow leopard?

I'm only running 10.5.3 here so we can say the HD4xxx does not work with 10.5.x currently but it might work with 10.6 as I've heard that these development drivers were possibly added to 10.6

This is all hear say but if anyone wants to check out snow leopard it would be much appreciated.

Oh by the way Snow Kitty can now be sourced through the usual path way just tell them Uncle Torrence sent you ;)

Just bought my 4850 two hours ago.

I was previously using Nvidia 7600GS. Rebooted into my PC and it works, but only detect the plain VGA with no multi-resolution, no CI/QE etc. The resolution is only 1024 x 768, but hey, at least it didn't give me a blank screen.

I'm typing this in the OSX firefox. :(

Got to go, time to play games instead of cracking my head over hackintosh.

PS: My MAC OSX is 10.5.3

The temperature is actually not a problem. All you do in windows is set the fan speed to 35% manually (or higher if you can handle the noise)through the catalyst control centre

I doubt there will be any useful way of petitioning Apple to release drivers for OS X for these cards, Apple puts all it's drivers through development. It could be up to 6 months before we see any official HD4xxx series drivers from Apple.

The references to the kexts in 10.5.2 are from a development kit sent to ATi, there is talk that there is driver support in the current 10.6 beta although I haven't gotten my hands on a copy of it yet.

The current method of getting these cards to work does not work... that said these cards work just fine without hardware support, and if you have a fast CPU you won't notice the difference unless you do a lot of 3D intensive work.

All said I don't see OS X as a gaming platform so for me at the moment it works fine as a desktop

can we fill out some "apple-please-support-this-hardware" - Form?

i want to buy myself an ATI 4870 too next week. Temperature wouldnt be a problem because I am cooling with water ^^

maybe its best we all fill out this:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

and request a driver for ati's 4850 and 4870 graphic cards.

:hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical::hysterical:

okay..i've about had it with this card..lol.

FINALLY installed Leopard..and HEY!..your graphic card isn't supported...

and the sad part is...i don't know how to change resolution either...;)

can anyone please refer me to a tutorial so that i can change resolution?

thanks.

Temperatures have been decent with my 4870. ATI cards normally run hotter compared to Nvidia cards.

But right now, I hardly doubt there will be and support for the R700 core, as there are no real drivers for the 48xx series on Windows right now. Driver support with ATI can be slow sometimes...But, it does make up for it.

Temperatures have been decent with my 4870. ATI cards normally run hotter compared to Nvidia cards.

But right now, I hardly doubt there will be and support for the R700 core, as there are no real drivers for the 48xx series on Windows right now. Driver support with ATI can be slow sometimes...But, it does make up for it.

if you simply switch out your stock cooler for a Duorb, the temps drop to about 40 degrees celsius.

worth it if you have the 50 bucks to spend on the cooler and you like to oc.

Please, if someone has a working ATI 4850 driver for OS X, please post and let us know.

Finally got to test it out and partitioned my HD to install with Kalyway. Would rather do a vanilla install with boot-132 (kalyway is missing a lot of small stuff, e.g. Alex from speech to text!), but a new hard drive can wait (don't want to reformat my data) until a driver comes for 4850.

It would be great if I could also get resolutions above 1024x768; I don't really care that much about graphics acceleration (thats why i have windows for games on the other partition); thanks.

I have the same problem. I just OS X installed and now I am stuck at a pretty awful resolution. How would I go about getting it to display at 1680x1050?

well, after doing a little research, i figured out how =]

all you do is when OS X is booting up, it will ask you if you want to boot normally or not.

press F8 and type in the following:

?video

then look through to see if 1680x1050 is there and if it is...

type this in:

"Graphics Mode"="1680x1050x32"

if it's not, look for something that's close to that resolution and just replace it.

so if you can't find 1680x1050, but 1600x1200 is there...type in this:

"Graphics Mode"="1600x1200x32"

btw, the 32 is the depth, like in windows there is which bit you want to put it as..this is that.

good luck =D

can we fill out some "apple-please-support-this-hardware" - Form?

i want to buy myself an ATI 4870 too next week. Temperature wouldnt be a problem because I am cooling with water ^^

maybe its best we all fill out this:

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macosx.html

and request a driver for ati's 4850 and 4870 graphic cards.

Yeah, THE BEST. Go ahead. Be the first. :(;)

P.S. Nothing personally.

Thank you solidus636. After much trial and error I have concluded that the generic display drivers used (since the 4850 is not supported) do not support any image size larger than the default. I even tried using switchresx - nada.

I hope someday this card is supported as that is all that is keeping me from a fantastic OS X experience. :(