What about the new ATI HD4850 ?

Soner

911 posts in this topic

I'm working on it... I'll post info! I've *heard* that 10.5.2 includes info for the R770 chip in the kexts but I've yet to find anything.

EDIT- Device ID for 4850 is 0x9442 :)

O..Thanks OMX-Knuckles

I thought 4850 do not work in 10.5.2 before I read this post

Now I will trade my 9600GT and buy HD4850 very soon :D

But,Do HD4850 have some problem working in 10.5.2?

I'm asking around for the ATI kexts and frameworks from 10.6 in IRC channels as well as trying to get Snow Kitty for myself. If anyone has a copy or knows someone with a copy please please help out by getting the ATIRadeonX2000 kexts and OpenGL framework! Who knows if they'll be compatible at all with 10.5.3, but at least we'll know if there's hope for support in 10.6.

I'm asking around for the ATI kexts and frameworks from 10.6 in IRC channels as well as trying to get Snow Kitty for myself. If anyone has a copy or knows someone with a copy please please help out by getting the ATIRadeonX2000 kexts and OpenGL framework! Who knows if they'll be compatible at all with 10.5.3, but at least we'll know if there's hope for support in 10.6.

HD 4850 seems to have the best perfomance for the price. So why don´t you ask Netkas at irc.osx86.hu #radeonhd channel. Hope he will be happy to try to make it work, as he helped with HD 2xxx and HD 3xxx series. Powerplay does not work on HD3850 and HD3870 on OS X right now, so I guess you´ll have to change the stock cooler because the card seems to get too hot even at Windows, as it is rumored that Powerplay does not work with current drivers.

Im not sure as to the level at which the driver addresses the cards, however IIRC the 2900s had a signifcantly different design than the current cards. (They had a 512bit interface and a ring bus for examole IIRC). The 3870 cards *should* be a good starting point.

I should be getting my 4870 tomorrow, hopefully my 10.6 disc will arrive Thursday.

yea hope there will be drivers for this baby soon. But there is still the problem of this card being too hot in more ways than one. Apparently the fan is locked at 15-20%. there are a few ways to solve it in windows but I'm doubtful bout OSX. Sad guess I'll have to wait till there is more OSX support for the 4850

yea hope there will be drivers for this baby soon. But there is still the problem of this card being too hot in more ways than one. Apparently the fan is locked at 15-20%. there are a few ways to solve it in windows but I'm doubtful bout OSX. Sad guess I'll have to wait till there is more OSX support for the 4850

Temperatures are reported to decrease dramatically after replacing stock cooler on HD 4850.

Temperatures are reported to decrease dramatically after replacing stock cooler on HD 4850.

.......Tempreatures are reported to decrease dramatically after using "fixes" on the stock cooler on HD 4850.

no need for AM coolers just hope newer models of the 4850 will address this issue cause I'm not sure if this issue can be address in OSX, "OR" you can get an AM Cooler.......=.=

I've asked around and examined the ATI frameworks/kexts and it doesn't look like the 4850 or 4870 will be supported anytime soon. It's different enough that 3850/3870 drivers won't work, and until Apple starts using the Radeon 4000-series cards in thier own systems there's little hope for a new driver.

I've asked around and examined the ATI frameworks/kexts and it doesn't look like the 4850 or 4870 will be supported anytime soon. It's different enough that 3850/3870 drivers won't work, and until Apple starts using the Radeon 4000-series cards in thier own systems there's little hope for a new driver.

well now that is terrible news....I'm planning to get it by the end of this week at S$230. I guess its back to XP...=.=

just for reference is the 9800GTX+ in the same boat as the 4850?

@experience hackintosh users, just wanted to now from your experience how long normally does it take for apple to have support for newer cards? Cause I really think its a matter of time b4 support are implemented for the 4800s but how long is the issue.

Cause I'm buying this card to game the last 2 months of freedom that I have, after that I pretty much don't have time to touch the pc for anything but emails and research. And sadly the 9800gtx+ is still not available and I'm guessing will be 30-40 more expensive...=.=

Apparently there's references to R770 somewhere in the kexts, but I can't see anything clear that indicates that they would work. So far I haven't been able to do the obvious and stick the card in the system because I've been really busy. If someone has a 4850 and time, try sticking your device ID in the ATIRadeonX2000.kext and see what happens.