OSX86 actually an Apple project? Snow Leopard to run native on PC? WTF is this?

19 posts in this topic

http://digg.com/apple/Mac_OSX_10_6_Snow_Le...d_under_the_GPLIs this a hoax...? It just popped up a few days ago, and I see no mention of it on these forums, so I have no idea if it's true or not.If it is true, then I'm confident the apocalypse is well on it's way... But something smells fishy about it, and it might have something to do with the letters "G," "P," and maybe "L."-MikeAh never mind, just saw that the digg article links to "applesux.org". This would be a hoax.Move along, folks, nothing to see here.

Nah, sad but certain, the dates are all wrong.. considering marklar leaked in june 2005, saying that it started in 2006 is a dead giveaway. This is someone having fun with a plausible & tempting idea.

Not true and never going to happen any time soon. If OS X was released for all computers, it would run into the same problems as Windows. Having Apple in control of the hardware and operating system allows OS 10 to work (ideally ;) ) flawlessly.

• 2 weeks later...

You know, aside from the workarounds to get it to actually boot (which are basically security workarounds) on non-Apple hardware, basically, OSX DOES run natively on PCs. That is assuming you are running hardware that drivers are included for. Same thing with Windows. Windows just happens to support a wider range of chipsets, processors, and video cards out of the box. Install a copy of Windows XP on a modern system build, and you will have MORE drivers to install for a working box than the average number of kexts needed to make a Hackintosh work. And alot of times, the drivers can be a pain to install, most of the time because the installer sucks; OSX kexts are actually easier to install. And I didn't even have to use a AHCI floppy with OSX to get it to detect my drives on my ASUS P5B Deluxe WiFi (more than I can say for XP). Aside from getting the bootloader and EFI installed and working, I just don't see how OSX is any more difficult to install than any other OS on modern-level Intel hardware (Core architecture CPU and modern Intel chipset).

OS X was built for PC hardware and Apple hardware from the second it was born, Jobs said it himself, the markler project back in the day. It wasn't compatible with anything other then one board and one intel chip perhaps, but it was there.

Now that apple has chosen to use regular intel chips PC's use and boards very similar, no doubt there is no problems running it, look at us today. If PC boards shipped with EFI on them, as the goal of EFI-X is, the entire BIOS problem would easily be resolved....

its only eventual at this point.

Also if you watch the interview of Bill Gates and Steve Jobs, Steve points out that "Apple is a software company", and that at the end of the day all it comes down to is their great software.

Not true and never going to happen any time soon. If OS X was released for all computers, it would run into the same problems as Windows. Having Apple in control of the hardware and operating system allows OS 10 to work (ideally :2cents: ) flawlessly.

arnt we using pc hardware btw and plus mac is based on unix while windows runs on dlls and registry its all crappy

• 11 months later...

We are using PC hardware, but you gotta remember, almost every person here runs into problems on install. People have been working on the OSx86 Project for how many years? It still isn't perfect. How many teams make builds of OSx86?

If Apple were trying to accomplish this, they would have 1 team.

Bottom Line, it would take a LONG TIME for them to roll this out (even though they are the best programmers in the world, [or close to it] it would still take a while)

We are using PC hardware, but you gotta remember, almost every person here runs into problems on install. People have been working on the OSx86 Project for how many years? It still isn't perfect. How many teams make builds of OSx86?

That doesn't change the fact that I can install OSX on my P5Q-E/C2D E8500 from a retail 10.5.6 DVD with a Chameleon Boot CD containing:

AppleDecrypt or DSMOS.kext

DSDT.aml (unless I use a patched BIOS) with removed CPU aliases (required on ASUS P5Q series - most people don't need this)

an smbios.plist spoofing a 2009 iMac9,1 - though that's not required to complete the install process.

That's all - I can install and run retail 10.5.6.

Then, to get sound, LAN and video fully working, I only need to install three kernel extensions!

After doing that I can go online and use Apple Software Update to get to 10.5.7.

It's true what the other guy said - installing 10.5.6 is easier and faster than installing Windows on the same hardware.

You could probably make a universal Chameleon boot CD that would work for all ASUS P5Q series boards running a Core architecture CPU.

Same thing goes for the more compatible P35 and P45 chipset based Gigabyte boards.

• 2 weeks later...

If Apple were trying to accomplish this, they would have 1 team.

Bottom Line, it would take a LONG TIME for them to roll this out (even though they are the best programmers in the world, [or close to it] it would still take a while)

it wouldn't take apple very long to do it, because they have acces to the vast code base of OS X, they are pros, with resources unlike a hobbiest