Darwine 0.9.9

12 posts in this topic

Darwine 0.9.9 was relased in both version - for PowePC and x86. I've installed it but I've got errors:

Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.

Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.

Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin', starting in the Windows directory.

err:imagelist:ImageList_ReplaceIcon no color!

Application tries to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.

Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

host-81-190-58-22:/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin jakub$

Did somebody run with success and how?

Darwine 0.9.9 was relased in both version - for PowePC and x86. I've installed it but I've got errors:

Warning: the specified Windows directory L"c:\\windows" is not accessible.

Warning: the specified System directory L"c:\\windows\\system32" is not accessible.

Warning: could not find DOS drive for current working directory '/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin', starting in the Windows directory.

Application tries to create a window, but no driver could be loaded.

Make sure that your X server is running and that $DISPLAY is set correctly.

host-81-190-58-22:/Applications/Darwine/Wine.bundle/Contents/bin jakub$

Did somebody run with success and how?

Open up xterm and put this in. DISPLAY=:0.0; export DISPLAY

Keep xterm open, open normal terminal window and run ./winecfg

I also had to duplicate Wine.Bundle and turn it into a folder.

I set the wine Bundle folder as my wine location in Wine Helper and it works now!

Good Luck,

FullMetal

I wonder what the list of improvements are... I really hope that once Wine/Darwine 1.0 comes out running all Windows programs will be no problem at all....

I'm glad that they were quick behind Wine in updating Darwine, though.

I have installed Darwine 0.9.9 on a pseudo-fresh install of OS X 10.4.4. Everything is working so far... (at least it works with all of the Wine sample .exe files). I would be happy to test any apps anyone would like to verify compatibility with. I hope this thing becomes more than just smoke and mirrors and a "Wow... that's neat..." effect. If true "bug for bug" compatibility could be reached in an Aqua userland... I could get rid of all of my PCs...

Darwine_0.9.9.png

P.S.

I wonder if anyone has found an "official" method for a proper uninstall of Darwine since x86 compatibility was reached. I know there was at one time a perl script that cleaned up things for you... But I have yet to see a method for 0.9.7 or 0.9.9. Anyone have an idea? Thanks in advance btw...

-Jason

This version works well but has not yet reached the same level as wine for Linux. I ran it and reached a few limitations with some small programs I use in windows not available in OS X. All in all, the team is doing a great job. Looking forward to future releases and running Office 2003 with it :)

Jason, all I did was run a searched and deleted everything wine and darwine. Then I had to unhide all the folders and go to your user dir and look for .wine and delete that also.

What's a good method to get a wine installed with the most-likely needed libraries included? I see alot of references to "copy true Windows libraries as needed", but nothing referring to a sort of "okay let's grab everything helpful off of a licensed Windows CD that you own and make Wine truly useful".

I've got Win98, 2000, and XP, and I'd really like to put Wine to effective use, but very little actually runs so far. I have no problem using Microsoft libraries instead of open-source duplicates, but I can't find much guidance on this as far as list of *what* is useful to use, and *how* to use it.

Best thing to do is copy your entire Windows directly (and possibly your Program Files directory as well) off of a clean install, such as through VMWare, VirtualPC or Qemu. Put that in your WINE c_drive location, and you'll be set. You'll have all your true dlls ready to go.