Dell E520 - OSX86 - Ethernet!

BenGoodman

12 posts in this topic

I have done research on this version of the OSX software, Kalyway 10.5.1.

I installed the 10.5.1 on my E520 sucessfully, but sound and ethernet are not working.

I have found the .kext files for the sound, but without ethernet the OS is lacking critical features, such as internet and networking.

The cracked OS does not come with the ethernet drivers installed. (.kext files)

Another release of the OS (iAtikos 1.0) says that the native on board E520 ethernet device should be automatically installed.

I was wondering, how would i go about porting the selected files from the iAtikos release to the Kalyway release.

If anyone has experienced this problem with the Kalyway 10.5.1 release, please let me know how you solved the problem.

Ben.

Do you know if theres a way to do that without booting iAtikos, I think my image is damaged...

I can get to the iAtikos Dawin Boot screen, where you type the "verbose" commands and stuff.

If i run it with -v, i get Still Waiting For Root Device.

If i run it with -v -x I get loads of I/O errors...

How do i find out which one my network uses?

search on forum by you card's name or by card's device id and you might find clues which kext should be loaded/hacked

you might find the kext you need as well posted by someone

Here is my Dell E520 Leopard install guide.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?s=&...st&p=510839

The onboard ethernet does not work. If you manage to get it to work, please tell me and everyone else how.

I use a tulip compatible (Linksys 100TX) Pci card in one of my pci slots. This works beautifully for ethernet.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?sho...amp;#entry38453

Taruga's kext for Tiger will enable sound.

http://forum.insanelymac.com/index.php?act...st&id=18377

Good luck.

Hi, I had a Belkin USB dongle lying arount, i downloaded the wireless apps, plugged it in and it worked.

I am writing this from my 10.5.3 Mac, Kalyway 10.5.1 updated to 10.5.3.

For the time being, im going to use the dongle and continue working on a fix for the E520 onboard ethernet.

If i am able to find the right kext files i should be able to do it, if not write my own. lol.

If i am unable to sort the ethernet, i will go for the second option of buying an OSX compatible one..

Finally after about a year trying to get OSX installed on this darn machine, its installed.

Its about 99% mac like, only lacking that mac hardware umph! lol.

• 1 month later...
Hi, I had a Belkin USB dongle lying arount, i Do you know if theres a way to do that without booting iAtikos, I think my image is damaged...

I can get to the iAtikos Dawin Boot screen, where you type the "verbose" commands and stuff.

If i run it with -v, i get Still Waiting For Root Device.

If i run it with -v -x I get loads of I/O errors...

Hey i really need help to make internet work on my dell e520.

i encounter the same problem when i boot with the iAtkos DVD.

How's the fix going? Any Luck?

Or is there any other way (other than a usb dongle or buying a tulip card)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
So, any solution for sound in Dell Dimension E520 ?!

Old thread but i found it via search when i was trying to fix this stuff and wanted to add an answer:

I got a codec dump from booting an ubuntu livecd, and running AppleHDAUpdater 1.20 looked good, but didn't work. However, using AppleHDAUpdater 1.16 worked perfectly. This is with 10.5 ToH.

Unfortunately, I went to the vanilla kernel (though geekbench still showed hackintosh, the /mach_kernel was the generic one) and tried to use system updater to 10.5.5 which gave the mac grey screen of death. Now it's grey screen of death on reboot too. bleh. I think I'm going to go back to linux :wacko:

• 2 weeks later...